Transfer Fees.....we don't buy anyone?

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

One thing noticeable about our team-building & player signing is the almost complete absence of transfer fees paid to other clubs or put more simply we don't buy anyone!

I think in the current first team squad only Templeton & Balogh (thanks Csaba!) involved any transfer fee? I know at youth level we've paid compensation to clubs like Stenny etc to get in some promising youngsters but in general at first team level we tend to seek out the best value in out of contract players or loans from Kaunas.

Does anybody see this changing? Should we even try to change it if we are getting good enough players for no transfer fee? Do we need to sell somebody for a decent price before we have any to spend on buying a player?

Now I'm not bothered about it at all. We've had the best transfer window we could have wished for, but if Vlad could have pulled of a Pinilla type signing we could have pushed for the league IMO.

Ryan Stevenson about 50k?

Why would we change it?

We are comfortably 3rd with a zero cash policy.

In fact we are almist challenging 2nd.

The only reason to change that would be make a push for the title (or at least accomplish 2nd)

That will take more than a slight injection of cash.

Therefore the simple economics mean that its not currently sensible.

Also increased revenue from 3rd will not be offset by large outgoings of cash, and therefore making the club more financially viable in the long term.

All good as far as I can see.

For clubs like Hearts transfer fees are becoming a thing of the past, we lose players at the end of their contract for no fee so we sign players on frees as well. It's all about wages, players have all the power and get all the rewards, it's harder and harder for clubs to break even/make a profit/reduce debt when the chances of selling players is so slim.

So Webster signs on for 2 and a half years, I have no doubt he'll be off after that, we'll certainly not be able to sell him on for a couple of mill as some on here have suggested. By the time he establishes himself and is noticed by a club with a couple of million to spend (a promoted championship side for example), say by the end of this year, he'll be looking to leave for nothing or next to it as he'll be heading into the last year of his contract.

Why would we change it?

We are comfortably 3rd with a zero cash policy.

In fact we are almist challenging 2nd.

The only reason to change that would be make a push for the title (or at least accomplish 2nd)

That will take more than a slight injection of cash.

Therefore the simple economics mean that its not currently sensible.

Also increased revenue from 3rd will not be offset by large outgoings of cash, and therefore making the club more financially viable in the long term.

All good as far as I can see.

Oh god... I'm going to agree....

Away to kill myself.

Who's going to be the first to say that we once spent ?850,000 on a single cross?

Oh...doh!

mahgrassyshoes

One thing noticeable about our team-building & player signing is the almost complete absence of transfer fees paid to other clubs or put more simply we don't buy anyone!

I think in the current first team squad only Templeton & Balogh (thanks Csaba!) involved any transfer fee? I know at youth level we've paid compensation to clubs like Stenny etc to get in some promising youngsters but in general at first team level we tend to seek out the best value in out of contract players or loans from Kaunas.

Does anybody see this changing? Should we even try to change it if we are getting good enough players for no transfer fee? Do we need to sell somebody for a decent price before we have any to spend on buying a player?

Ryan Stevenson was ?20000 as well i think. Was there not a couple of hundred thousand spent on obua as well?

I don't think we need to change it. Regardless of the opinion that seems to be banded about on it, we'll always get on or 2 decent players from Kaunas. I think it's been shown that the youth policy and getting in steady experienced players (eg Kyle, Skacel and Webster) is working very well. I do think we should possibly ease the no loans unless we are going to sign them though. Maybe allow JJ 1 or 2 "emergency loans" in case we think we can get a player in to cover a shortage, eg if we could have got a good striker in to replace KK for a few months.

In terms of the league it's what 10/12 teams already do. Rangers are going/ have already started to adopt that idea, particularly as the club seems unsellable as that's two bids that appear to have gone to due dilligence and then just petered out.. Sadly Celtic's finances are in good nick and they won't have to. In short, we'll soon be able to compete for second, in the manner we do for third just now, with the current policy.

Now I'm not bothered about it at all. We've had the best transfer window we could have wished for, but if Vlad could have pulled of a Pinilla type signing we could have pushed for the league IMO.

Ryan Stevenson about 50k?

Do i assume by this that you mean an absolute star from out of nowhere who will rip up defenders for arse paper?

Rather than someone with an obvious abundance of skill but coupled with many personal issues and a desire to put his boaby aboot? :whistling:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Long may it continue while we strive to reduce debt and cut-even.

We are performing better by not paying transfer fees than we have spending large ones in the past. I think we are actually cutting expenditure while improving on the pitch.

Do i assume by this that you mean an absolute star from out of nowhere who will rip up defenders for arse paper?

Rather than someone with an obvious abundance of skill but coupled with many personal issues and a desire to put his boaby aboot? :whistling:

The latter. :teehee:

Craig Gordons Gloves

given that JJ used money in the past to buy Petric and Fitzroy, i'm quite pleased we don't pay for anyone :whistling:

Drylaw Hearts

We tried to buy Craig Bryson.

So we do appear to still be willing to pay the odd transfer fee here and there.

We are back to being run in the way that has brought us all our sustained periods of relative success over the past 30 years or so - in 83-87, 95-99 and 01-06.

Speculating to accumulate, as seen in 99-01 and 06-08 and to a lesser extent in 88-92, doesn't appear to work for Hearts in particular or in the SPL in general. The gap between the Old Firm and everyone else in terms of finance and appeal is just too wide.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if we'd used the cash injections of 1999 and 2005 to facilitate more organic and sustainable growth rather than splurging (most of) it on players who were already damaged goods or who didn't really want to be here in the first place.

We tried to buy Craig Bryson.

So we do appear to still be willing to pay the odd transfer fee here and there.

Beat me to it DH

We will bid for Bryson in the summer :whistling:

If Football Manager is anything to go by (and it most certainly is), I hardly ever buy anyone when managing Hearts, always spending my money on wages and getting players in on Bosman's.

Vlad strikes me as a Footie Manager player, he knows the drill.

Who's going to be the first to say that we once spent ?850,000 on a single cross?

Oh...doh!

You should get crucified for that post...

:whistling:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Did we not spend something like ?300,000 on Obua? Think Balogh cost us ?125,000 too.

Interestingly though, in these two positions (if you call Obua a winger) we have better options taht cost us nowt. :ermm:

Did we not spend something like ?300,000 on Obua? Think Balogh cost us ?125,000 too.

Interestingly though, in these two positions (if you call Obua a winger) we have better options taht cost us nowt. :ermm:

obua was free and balogh was something like ?68k.

Oh...doh!

It was a fine cross though BB, a fine cross.

Oh...doh!

LOL

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Balogh was closer to ?200k IIRC

That's how I remember it too, did we not struggle to pay up in time actualyl? Possibly threatened over the cash by his old club?... Or am I just making that up in my heid?... I may be well off with Obua though.

seems i was talking pish, it was c.?200,000. maybe the ?68k was the additional payment we took our sweet time in paying.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

seems i was talking pish, it was c.?200,000. maybe the ?68k was the additional payment we took our sweet time in paying.

That sounds about right actually.

Was Obua definitely a free?

mahgrassyshoes

I remember Balogh being ?180000. I thought we paid a fee for Obua as well, but his wikipedia (i know, but it was the only quote i could find) says he was a free transfer.

Definitely? Given my track record i wont say i know for sure, but i remember a few english clubs (west ham) had been sniffing around him and that we got him for free. Was quite a coup...

Just to be sure, i checked wiki and they're saying he was a freebie. You get what you pay for...

Hearts now operate in a market where a player moving for a fee is a fairly unusual event. Most players will come and go at the end of their contracts, perhaps with occasional "nominal" fees being paid. Occasionally, we will sell someone for a substantial fee, into seven figure.

Of course, there will be exceptions, and there will be moves for a couple of hundred grand, or whatever. These, however, are pretty rare expections. And that's why I the threads which appear from time to time on here where people try to place valuations on our squad are so ridiculous.

Obua was a free.

Mind the thread when the guy said he had seen him at the airport and asked him if he was signing for us.Good one that :thumbsup:

Let me think - overpaid, over priced primadona's destined for Betty Ford or guys like Kyle with something to prove on a fraction of the wages previously squandered.

It's a tough one. Can I phone a friend?

With our ongoing policy of signing players on free transfers, I would like to see us sign both Rooney (ICT) and Gomis (DU) to pre-contracts sometime soon.

Charlie-Brown

With our ongoing policy of signing players on free transfers, I would like to see us sign both Rooney (ICT) and Gomis (DU) to pre-contracts sometime soon.

They are both good players & they are both available and have been since 1st January so perhaps one or both of them already has or is looking for contract offers above what we are willing to pay?

Let me think - overpaid, over priced primadona's destined for Betty Ford or guys like Kyle with something to prove on a fraction of the wages previously squandered.

It's a tough one. Can I phone a friend?

Hey be quiet Craig nae mates :D

Would love to see Rooney at Tynie but he'll be moving South or to OF. Gomis is no better than what we have for that position.

So basically, 3rd in the league has cost us (I'm not going to include Balogh, because he hasn't really featured) about ?70K (Stevenson + Templeton).

Everyone else was free.

Nice way to look at it I guess :thumbsup:

My memory of the rules is a bit hazy, but from what I recall, I think Rooney is still young enough that we would be due ICT compensation if we signed him on a Bosman. Possibly.

Archived