Do Hibs fans really know what a good centre back is ?

vegas-voss

Speaking to a couple of Hibs fans at my work last night and their response to Webster signing for Hearts was.We don't really need him anyway as Hanlon is a better player and Stephens(hardly kicked a ball all season)is a great prospect and will be a great player.Honestly I have only every seen Hanlon as average to rubbish in the games I have seen Hibs in this season all be it he has had some gash defensive partners.So do they really have any clue what makes a good defender ?

When was the last time they had a class centrehalf? They would say sol bamba and I would laugh in their faces.

Nucky Thompson

They're gutted really mate. They were all getting excited yesterday at the thought of Andy Webster even talking to them :lol:

When was the last time they had a class centrehalf? They would say sol bamba and I would laugh in their faces.

Exactly Sol ******* Bamba rated as world beater by Hibs fans.They also thought Rob Jones was brilliant.

If you look at the comments associated with this article on the BBC site http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9385433.stm

The thing that strikes me is the amount of level headed common sense coming from supporters of Hearts, United, Hubs, and smeltic but overwhelmingly they all wanted him with United admitting they couldnt afford him and others admitting they needed him.

That tells me what the opinion in large is about his (as a footballer) so think the hobos you spoke with are in the usual deluded/cant see what in front of me type. FWIW I also dont see anything in Hanlon but time will tell. I also see in the article that last year he was called up for the Scotland v Lithuanian game, Webster that is not Hanlon but pulled out through injury. Hadnt realised that so someone somewhere likes him :thumbsup:

They're gutted really mate. They were all getting excited yesterday at the thought of Andy Webster even talking to them :lol:

This! My hobo mates were jizzing that they may actually get him. :woot:

jamboinglasgow

As they keep playing a player who is really a left back at centre back (Hanlon) I don't think they do have a clue what a good center back is.

if a hibs fan told me it was february i would check a calender to make sure it was wasn't slavering pish.

pay no heed.

The standard "didn't fancy her/him anyway" response after a knock back.

The last centre-back i remember them having who was actually decent was Sauzee. Hibees dont know what defending is. A good centreback to them is not someone who can actually defend but someone who is good going forward and has good 'flair' :rolleyes:

The couple I spoke to last night over a light ale were GUTTED! Petrie should've broke the bank to sign him according to one of them. A statement of intent!

Once again they're placed firmly in their places be that on the park or off it! :thumbsup:

Stupid Sexy Flanders

If you look at the comments associated with this article on the BBC site http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9385433.stm

The thing that strikes me is the amount of level headed common sense coming from supporters of Hearts, United, Hubs, and smeltic but overwhelmingly they all wanted him with United admitting they couldnt afford him and others admitting they needed him.

That tells me what the opinion in large is about his (as a footballer) so think the hobos you spoke with are in the usual deluded/cant see what in front of me type. FWIW I also dont see anything in Hanlon but time will tell. I also see in the article that last year he was called up for the Scotland v Lithuanian game, Webster that is not Hanlon but pulled out through injury. Hadnt realised that so someone somewhere likes him :thumbsup:

Surprising.

Nelly Terraces

The standard "didn't fancy her/him anyway" response after a knock back.

The old "It's a sh * t pub anyway" reposte when you've been barred from somewhere you've been drinking for ages. ;)

The Old Tolbooth

If Bouzid played for Hibs, he would be the best centre half they've had in years, he's not even in our top 20!

Check the early pages of the Webster thread on hibs.net. Well worth a read.

Talk of how he would be a massive signing for them, how it really would piss us off if they got him, how they'd laugh at getting one up on us etc etc.

One of ma hobo pals was creamin at the fact he mghtve been goin there. "just what we need" and "what a difference he'll make". I phoned said Hobo upon learning of our capture, and immediately proceeded to tell him that I wasn't bothered either way about gettin him, that we could take him or leave him TBH.....even over the phone I could tell ma wee Hibby pal was SEETHING at both the news, and my attitude towards it.

Said it before and I'll say it again , if I was a Hobo* I would ******* HATE Hearts haha!!

*actually a wee bit sick in my mouth as I typed that.

Speaking to a couple of Hibs fans at my work last night and their response to Webster signing for Hearts was.We don't really need him anyway as Hanlon is a better player and Stephens(hardly kicked a ball all season)is a great prospect and will be a great player.Honestly I have only every seen Hanlon as average to rubbish in the games I have seen Hibs in this season all be it he has had some gash defensive partners.So do they really have any clue what makes a good defender ?

Hibs have never had a decent centre-half in the 28 years i've been goin to football. The best one they had was probably Gordon Hunter in the 80's and even he was average at best. When you think of the centre-halfs we've had during the same period..... Sandy Jardine, Craig Levein, Dave McPherson, Alan McLaren, David Weir, Steven Pressley, Christophe Berra, Pasquale Bruno etc.. you can see the envy. So while they might've had a few decent midfielders in that same period, they've also had Gordon Rae, Andy Millen, Dave Beaumont to name just 3 more!!

Mr Brightside

As they keep playing a player who is really a left back at centre back (Hanlon) I don't think they do have a clue what a good center back is.

The hibs fans I know have said he is a centre half but got played out of position at left back. He has looked at average at best in either position.

if a hibs fan told me it was february i would check a calender to make sure it was wasn't slavering pish.

No need to check the calendar. Just check if Hibs have scored recently. If they have, then it must be February.

Does anyone really believe Webster was actually seriously talking to them about a move ?

I would imagine the last thing Petrie would have heard from the phone after Webster had finished laughing at the offer would have been " CLICK.......Wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr "

Looking at their current team and their new signings never has the phrase " if you pay peanuts you get monkeys " been more apt.

The Tache must have heaved a huge sigh of relief as CC Blooms managed to paper over the cracks the other night and he didn't have to sack him just yet.

He's worked out that he can save another couple of grand on the compo if he can hold off another few of weeks.

Hearts Heritage

The old "It's a sh * t pub anyway" reposte when you've been barred from somewhere you've been drinking for ages. ;)

Nelly, I can't imagine You being barred from anywhere. :whistling:

He's a centre back.

Sauzee was an excellent sweeper for them. Other than that they've no had any better than a competent centre-half since the 70s. And some class acts such as

Mark Fulton.

Dave Beaumont.

Colin Murdoch.

Dickoh.

Humpty Fudge.

Chris Hogg.

Andy Millen.

Darren Dods

Steven Tweed

Gary Smith

Marc Dempsie

etc etc