Who's Been Our Best Centre Half in the Last 10 Year

Howdy Doody Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo

Come on then who would you say has been our best centre half at the club in the last 10 year ?

I dont think theres much question, whateve you fee about him, hat the most important one in the last ten is Elvis. We have had better players in terms of ball at their feet, but he was the overall best.

Elvis for his leadership qualities, Webster for technical ability.

Summed up perfectly. I think the role Pressley played as captain sets him apart as the best but there's no doubt Webster had (hopefully has) the greater ability.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Berra.

Then Elvis.

Berra for the sheer raw ability that he possesed and demonstrated on a weekly basis in a pisspoor hearts team at that time.

The half season he played under Csaba, he stepped up to the mark and fully deserved his move to Wolves.

JamboAberdeen

Elvis without a doubt.

Maybe not the most gifted player in the world, but his leadership and organisation were second to none.

scott herbertson

Summed up perfectly. I think the role Pressley played as captain sets him apart as the best but there's no doubt Webster had (hopefully has) the greater ability.

yep Pressley by a mile in overall contribution and for his reading of the game. Webster ahead of Berra for skill but Berra has grafted hard at his career and deserves his EPL status

Zaliukas. Was gobsmacked that we got as much for Berra as we did. I await Webster's unveiling with interest and what he may say could change my view. As for the ignoramus with the manners of a dung beetle.......(and I base that not on his stupid chest-thumping but on having unfortunately met the man a long time prior to him making a pillock of himself)

Johanes de Silentio

Steven Pressley - had our defence drilled and organised, often with ordinary players - just as important for his communication, influence, and attitude as for his ability, which was decent.

His presence and performances on the pitch before the fall-out lends a great deal of credence to his side of the story, imo - I believe that we did have a huge problem in our dressing room, and I don't blame him for saying so, even if he does lose credit for the chest-thumping.

There - I said it.

The only loyalty footballers have is to themselves. So welcome back Andy I forgive you. You're no different from any other professional in the modern game. Ignore the petty chip on their shoulder posts on here.

Did we really need a Pressley thread after all the angst on the Webster ones? Clever by the OP though.

Yes, the snake villain that is Elvhis has been our best unfortunately.

no doubt about it steven pressley.

still a Hearts legend regardless of what some might think

Oh FFS! :rolleyes:

Here's a proper legend.....

Dave%20Mackay.jpg

Pressley without a doubt. The moment he lifted the big cup and his words back at Tynecastle the next day prove it. The passion when he lifted the cup.

Webster, Zal, Berra all had great quality.

McKenna and Tall should be mentioned for being heros in their own way.

Pressley without a doubt. The moment he lifted the big cup and his words back at Tynecastle the next day prove it. The passion when he lifted the cup.

Webster, Zal, Berra all had great quality.

McKenna and Tall should be mentioned for being heros in their own way.

Tall was one of those very expensive and unrequired pieces of Vlad sticking his nose in at the wrong time.

Regardless of cup final winning medal and CL qualifiers goals or bringing back Rudi

Anyone seen Berra play for Wolves? He's mince. I can't type the other two names everyone else is talking about so I will go further back and pick slim.

Elvis for his leadership qualities, Webster for technical ability.

Very fair assessment. Under Levein, Webster was shaping up to be a legend and a big name in the game.

A prize example on what can happen to a mapped out career under the guidance of dodgy advisor(s), Kinda like the guys in the second row at the Charge of the Light Brigade!!

We_are_the_Hearts

Thought we had had better CHs but thinking back.....not really!!

Must have been spoiled in the late 80s and early 90s with Jardine, Levein, McPherson and McLaren!

has to be elvis when webster first signed elvis really helped him but towards 2006 webster was the player helping elvis as his pace was going..

Pressley's form from 2000-2003 probably makes him the best centre half, but he definitley lost a bit of pace after that.

Webster, from about 2003-2006 was the better centre half for me, but Pressley's previous form just shades it.

Zaliukis, Berra and Karipidis are just behind.

I also liked Ibrahim Tall.

Tall was one of those very expensive and unrequired pieces of Vlad sticking his nose in at the wrong time.

Regardless of cup final winning medal and CL qualifiers goals or bringing back Rudi

Ibby Tall was decent.

Pressley was probably the best of the past 10 years.

Anyone seen Berra play for Wolves? He's mince. I can't type the other two names everyone else is talking about so I will go further back and pick slim.

He's playing in a shan team that's why :thumbsup:

Hackney Hearts

Jim Jefferies.

(limited 1st team opportunities these days, but makes up for that with his managerial qualities)

Think it's got to be Pressley by a distance but there is a fair amount of truth in this if i'm honest.

has to be elvis when webster first signed elvis really helped him but towards 2006 webster was the player helping elvis as his pace was going..

tartofmidlothian

Pressley by a mile, for his qualities as a captain as much as ability.

Perhaps a poll? (Not a Pole, sorry Adrian and Polish Dave).

Edit: Webster a very, very close second.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I reckon the stats would show that it would be our two most hated players in recent times: Pressley and then Webster.

Like them or not, they were a formidable pairing at centrehalf.

tartofmidlothian

I reckon the stats would show that it would be our two most hated players in recent times: Pressley and then Webster.

About to be improved upon by Zaliukas and Webster.

Hopefully.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

About to be improved upon by Zaliukas and Webster.

Hopefully.

Definitely, I hope so too. If the two of them can strike up a good partnership and Zali stays next season, we will have a very solid pair at the back i reckon.

Thomson Webster Zaliukas Wallace

That is a very versatile and tough looking defence we could have for the remainder of the season.

I see Zaliukas as the one to be sold and get some cash, Boozie to go his way and Webster and probably Barr to be the centre of defence next season.

Was always Vlads business plan to bring on players and sell them and as Zal has already made some rumblings of unhappiness think he will get his move.

Elvis for me but he did play with a strong team around him.

the fairly imminent sale of zaliukas does seem to be the likely outcome right enough. it fits the vlad M.O. to sign up a potentially valuable asset with some sort of guarantee that the player will get to move well before the end of the contract.

zaliukas will eventually go and we'll get a pretty good fee. naturally it wont stop the zal-haters from announcing that we've been paid way over the odds for him and that [insert manager/club name here] don't know the football business as well as them.

Snake Plissken

Pressley then Webster.

Between 2003 and 2006 we had the two best centre backs in the league, that remains the best pairing I've seen in my time supporting Hearts.

Come on then who would you say has been our best centre half at the club in the last 10 year ?

Pressley. Club legend and great captain, despite what any h-inserting half-wit may try and tell you.

Billy the Jambo

Pressley. Club legend and great captain, despite what any h-inserting half-wit may try and tell you.

100 PERCENT agreed there well said

Definitely, I hope so too. If the two of them can strike up a good partnership and Zali stays next season, we will have a very solid pair at the back i reckon.

Thomson Webster Zaliukas Wallace

That is a very versatile and tough looking defence we could have for the remainder of the season.

... with the potential to play a lot of constructive fitba too.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Pressley then Webster.

Between 2003 and 2006 we had the two best centre backs in the league, that remains the best pairing I've seen in my time supporting Hearts.

They were very solid... Don't know if they would edge out Levein and McPherson for me though.

most of the time i watch them i always think that Stearman is the weak link in there. Berra is struggling in a very,very poor team at the moment but he still looks their best CB

absolutely agree

:tup:

The Mighty Thor

Pressley by a good distance.

I thought he actually became a far better CH once his legs started to go. He started to use his brain a bit more and was a better player for it. As a leader he was second to none in the last decade or probably two decades.

Webster was a great player prior to his departure and it'll be very interesting to see where he's at now he's back.

Archived