Poor Uncle Rupert

Socrates

European court looks likely to find against Sky and the Premier League in trying to stop people from getting satellite broadcasts from other EU countries. Cue much wailing about how this will destroy everything in the known world.

My link

If this is upheld, then Sky's stranglehold hold on sport revenues will be threatened. The EPL deal, for example, relies on Sky being the only way to view live games. This could be massive !

European court looks likely to find against Sky and the Premier League in trying to stop people from getting satellite broadcasts from other EU countries. Cue much wailing about how this will destroy everything in the known world.

My link

Link doesnt seem to work.

Maybe Rupert has censored it as he already owns the entire British Government as well as the media.

Have been saying for a long time that its a Monopoly in existence for Licensing trade with regarding them screening games.

Murdoch doesnt believe in free market but more monopolies.

Guest juvehearts

good,

about time someone done something about this

i just wish LIVE TV matches were banished from TV & only way to watch a game was to see it on a saturday at 3pm

its about time the game gave something back to the fans, i detest live football on tv, even if it is hearts., im normally at the games anyway.

National TV rights deals will be replaced by transcontinental TV rights deals and the positions of the biggest media players will become more secure.

My link

Try that one

To be honest I think SKY do have the moral high ground .......................or would do if they had

priced the product fairly?

How many pubs / clubs do you know that had to take it out when the price hit ?1,000 a month or more

That requires a lot of punters to be drinking a lot of beer on a lot of days, and in the current climate that just

isnt possible !

Yeh, I'd like to see satellite TV take a hike too.

Guest juvehearts

all that means is that sky will become more cheaper & hopefully the EPL being downplayed as a farce

35 million for andy carrol a prime example of a market gone mad

600,000 for a SPL - EPL top goalscorer is another in connor samson

At the moment this is just the opinion of an advocate in the Euro court but the following lines suggest it is likely to be upheld

(The) exclusivity rights in question have the effect of partitioning the internal market into quite separate national markets, something which constitutes a serious impairment of the freedom to provide services."

Maybe Mike Ashley has displayed perspicacity by keeping Carroll's ?35m in his back pocket meantime.

National TV rights deals will be replaced by transcontinental TV rights deals and the positions of the biggest media players will become more secure.

This, sky already own the rights in Italy and germany, it means they will have to pay out less overall but it only leaves them in a position to compete for the rights when they come avaiable.

Don't really see how this is great news. I seem to recall a ruling going against sky previously and other broadcasters being allowed access to games and what happened then? I'll tell you, we had to subscribe to Setanta and ESPN in addition to Sky as well as put up with inferior broadcasts from the BBC and ITV. Give me a sky monopoly and one subscription any day of the week!

(you may wish to comment on the hypocrisy of someone who uses Sky in a foreign country commenting in this fashion :whistling: )

Don't really see how this is great news. I seem to recall a ruling going against sky previously and other broadcasters being allowed access to games and what happened then? I'll tell you, we had to subscribe to Setanta and ESPN in addition to Sky as well as put up with inferior broadcasts from the BBC and ITV. Give me a sky monopoly and one subscription any day of the week!

(you may wish to comment on the hypocrisy of someone who uses Sky in a foreign country commenting in this fashion :whistling: )

The contract bewteen Sky and the English FA is illegal under the Treaty of Rome because the clubs have formed a cartel in order to satisfy Sky's requirement for 'exclusive' coverage. Everyone knows this but Sky and the FA have been getting away with it for years. The coverage now available under ESPN is just window dressing : Sky wouldn't still be paying top dollar for the rights otherwise.

The contract bewteen Sky and the English FA is illegal under the Treaty of Rome because the clubs have formed a cartel in order to satisfy Sky's requirement for 'exclusive' coverage. Everyone knows this but Sky and the FA have been getting away with it for years. The coverage now available under ESPN is just window dressing : Sky wouldn't still be paying top dollar for the rights otherwise.

You seem to be missing the point I am making - as long as sky have a monopoly, then we only require one subscription to watch all the matches (albeit they can charge what they like for it). If the monopoly is removed, inevitably we will have to subscribe to other channels costing the armchair fan more in the long run. I cannot see how breaking the monopoly helps your average joe!

Archived