White Stripes no more

Hugh Watt

Johanes de Silentio

They were good, but not a massive loss, imo - yer boy Jack will turn up in another guise soon, I'm sure - hopefully with a bass player.

liked them enough back in the day, but havent bought an album of theirs in yonks. still, if only for the cup semi against the hibs.

They were good, but not a massive loss, imo - yer boy Jack will turn up in another guise soon, I'm sure - hopefully with a bass player.

Already has done with two albums each by The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather. The former band with Brendan Benson are far superior. Both bands feature Jack Lawrence of The Greenhornes on bass, who is really good.

Still fuming that they cancelled that T In The Park show a few years back. Never managed to catch them after that for one reason or another. :verymad:

Johanes de Silentio

Already has done with two albums each by The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather. The former band with Brendan Benson are far superior. Both bands feature Jack Lawrence of The Greenhornes on bass, who is really good.

Exactly - I never got the impression that The White Stripes was the be all and end all for Jack.

Strange band, I got into them in quite a big way and loved the first three albums then just sort of stopped listening, now I never get the urge to listen to them.

Johanes de Silentio

I liked their Beefheart covers! :thumbsup:

Also, I know people now see "Oh, the Hibees are gay" sung to the tune of 'Seven Nation Army' as shan patter...

but what a moment for us! :thumbsup:

Let's thank the Stripes for that. :)

Strange band, I got into them in quite a big way and loved the first three albums then just sort of stopped listening, now I never get the urge to listen to them.

Snap. Totally non-plussed by this news.

Give me something big like a Smiths reformation, and I'll be on that train.

thumbsup.gif

Johanes de Silentio

thumbsup.gif

Just never liked The Smiths - bedsit student music for bed-wetters - nah! :down:

Gutted loved the White Stripes.... Jack White is genius and will go onto even bigger and better things (than he has already) but another White Stripes album and tour would have been fantastic. Seen them 3 nights in a row one year in Glasgow... had the cash and got tickets to all nights. Every show totally different and one hundred percent awesome for different reasons. Anyhoo dont think ill enjoy a live act like the Stripes again.

so positively a :( from me.

Smith :[ bah... rubbish.

thumbsup.gif

Snap also! They were practically my favourite band for a couple years in the early 2000s....haven't listened to them now for years, nor have any album since Elephant. I think its cause they never changed their sound, and a lot of songs sounded the same. I guess I feel like, even if their recent stuff was great, I've heard it already

I've seen the White Stripes, Raconteurs, and Dead Weather live, and feel the latter two bands are better balanced with quality musicians throughout. Brendan Benson is very underrated and gives something extra to the Raconteurs.

The Dead Weather were excellent live at the Picturehouse the other year and the albums are pretty good, but not a patch on the Raconteurs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7aOWIFgIZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kov83AXN1Xs&feature=related

Meh, I assumed they packed it in years ago tbh.

Quite liked their earlier stuff but I wouldn't really listen to it anymore.

I've seen the White Stripes, Raconteurs, and Dead Weather live, and feel the latter two bands are better balanced with quality musicians throughout. Brendan Benson is very underrated and gives something extra to the Raconteurs.

The Dead Weather were excellent live at the Picturehouse the other year and the albums are pretty good, but not a patch on the Raconteurs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7aOWIFgIZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kov83AXN1Xs&feature=related

Disagree ( but its all down to taste) thought the dead weather were the better of the 2 ...but on that vein , the Kills new albulm sounds very dirty :thumbsup:

There are plenty sh1te bands out there just now so it is a shame when one with a little bit of quality split up.

Just never liked The Smiths - bedsit student music for bed-wetters - nah! :down:

Got to agree with you there. Could never quite understand the level of adulation for them.

The White Stripes, on the other hand will be sorely missed!

http://www.whitestripes.com/

Sad day for the music world. First saw them at the Liquid Room in 2001, remarkably original and talented.

I was at that gig too. Went along out of curiosity, came out stunned at how good they were, and how brilliant a front man Jack White was. That doesn't get mentioned often enough I don't think.

Great band. This news comes as no surprise though.

And The Dead Weather are better than The Raconteurs (!) :D .

Archived