Why do we always play poor in Glasgow ?

Howdy Doody Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo

What is it with us when we go to Glasgow , we never seem to take the game to the opposition and can only muster a few shots at goal .

Yet when we play the old-firm at Tynecastle we get in their faces and have beaten them both this season .

Do we get intimidated by the big noisy crowds , you would think our players would raise their games on the bigger stage but they always seem to freeze when it matters ,

What is it with us when we go to Glasgow , we never seem to take the game to the opposition and can only muster a few shots at goal .

Yet when we play the old-firm at Tynecastle we get in their faces and have beaten them both this season .

Do we get intimidated by the big noisy crowds , you would think our players would raise their games on the bigger stage but they always seem to freeze when it matters ,

The only noise tonight was coming from the Hearts fans.

In order of frequency

1. They are usually better than us, (this season is no exception IMO) and whilst we can give them a game at Tynecastle, home advantage counts for a lot.

2. We show them too much respect

3. We get the tactics wrong

4. We bottle it

5. We get cheated out of goals/points

I thought we were okay tonight. Kyle might have made a difference because we had a good share of the game but not much up front. Conceding early in Glasgow is nearly always fatal and so it proved tonight

I didn't think we were that poor tonight.

I was starting to think I was the only one of this opinion!!!

Last week I thought we were gutless, tonight I thought over the 90 we were the better team

I watched live on Setanta here in Oz. I thought compared to the Tims game we played ok. At least we were still in it at the death. Skacel played well and the Hun played better than I expected as well.

hearts don't always play poorly in glasgow though so this is nonsense.

two league cup wins at parkhead, another win in the league at parkhead, a few draws there, a few draws at ibrox (at least two of which we should have won)... in the romanov years.

sometimes we play poorly in glasgow and lose without doing anything. sometimes we've done better. this season has been poor.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think we do get in their faces at Tynie but the smaller pitch here helps. We can use this to our advantage and get the ball wide and in behind them quickly. It also makes it easier to crowd their better players out. In Glasgow there is more pitch to cover and if our players are on the back foot more it makes it difficult for our forward thinking players to get good possesion. The full backs get pushed back more and we all know that attacking fullbacks are one of our most important attacking options. On top of this 50/50s go the way of the O.F but that's another story :(

By The Light..

Playing 3 5 2 for the first time this season clearly took a few minutes to settle down, worked well after 5 mins.

Rangers were there for the taking except we had zero threat up front, has that been any diffrent in the last 10 years though?

We played OK tonight, we certainly didn't get the tanking we got off Celtic anyway. Actually we played a lot worse against them at Tynecastle and won. I agree about Kevin Kyle, we are really missing him just now.

hearts don't always play poorly in glasgow though so this is nonsense.

two league cup wins at parkhead, another win in the league at parkhead, a few draws there, a few draws at ibrox (at least two of which we should have won)... in the romanov years.

sometimes we play poorly in glasgow and lose without doing anything. sometimes we've done better. this season has been poor.

Well, there was a long period when we had a very decent record against Celtic indeed - but a shocking one v Rangers, especially at Ibrox. We haven't won at Ibrox in a game which both sides cared about since, get this, January 1996. Even allowing for how strong they always are at home, and especially for the impact of officials, that is absolutely scandalous.

But this season against the gruesomes has just been standard Hearts under JJ. That last win in the Bronx when it mattered may have been under him; but par for the course for Jefferies' Hearts is six points from the 24 available, and we've already got them. Also par for the course for JJ's Hearts are a couple of humpings (check); an unlucky home defeat (check); and a moderate performance away to Rangers which deceives people into thinking we played quite well, but in reality featured no real threat to them (check). However much possession we had at times, I thought Rangers cruised through the game, and were always in control of it.

Under JJ, we did exactly the same thing at Ibrox in September 2000 and May 2000, and exactly the same thing at Parkhead in March 1996, February 1999, August 1999 and, for that matter, February 2010. It really is a case of Groundhog Day. As to why it happens: it's a combination of things really. The OF always have stronger squads than us, and go over the Championship contending course every season, whereas we only do it every now and then. So they have more players who are used to playing in big games - and psychologically, playing in huge stadiums in front of their fans always gives them a very big edge.

What goes on between the ears is key here. I don't think we really believed in ourselves tonight, however short we were for key players; and believe it or not, I can't really blame us for that. I think the team knows it's not quite good enough yet - and wins in Glasgow happen so rarely (there's a world of difference between winning there in the diddy cup and doing so in the SPL) that it must be awfully hard for them to expect anything else. A 1-0 defeat was par for the course; so a 1-0 defeat is what happened.

Playing 3 5 2 for the first time this season clearly took a few minutes to settle down, worked well after 5 mins.

Rangers were there for the taking except we had zero threat up front, has that been any diffrent in the last 10 years though?

That. All over them and with a half decent striker we could've taken the 3pts. Always the case though. Not holding out a massive hope for the new guy, but he's hopefully decent.

In league matches at Ibrox we have won 24 out of 142 games (17%). At Tynecastle we have won 36 out of 140 (26%).

At Celtic Park we have won 19 out of 142 games (13%) but against the tims at Tynie we have won 50 out of 140 (36%).

As an aside, Hibs wins at Tynecastle are about as common as our wins at Ibrox....

Miller Jambo 60

I think we do get in their faces at Tynie but the smaller pitch here helps. We can use this to our advantage and get the ball wide and in behind them quickly. It also makes it easier to crowd their better players out. In Glasgow there is more pitch to cover and if our players are on the back foot more it makes it difficult for our forward thinking players to get good possesion. The full backs get pushed back more and we all know that attacking fullbacks are one of our most important attacking options. On top of this 50/50s go the way of the O.F but that's another story :(

You would think pitches would be the same sizeblink.gif

Miller Jambo 60

You would think pitches would be the same sizeblink.gif

Drewjambobusby

Cannot believe the Op thinks we were poor again. We might have lost an early goal but thought in the first half we passed them off the park and they resorted to hitting us on the break !!!

Unfortunately, we had zero threat up front so last 18yards were a struggle and we lacked imagination. I thought it was worth throwing temps and Driver on in the last 25 minutes to really test the resolve of the Huns defence.

But overall, a much improved performance since last game in Glasgow. Be interested how it is reported. Basically, we have been punished for not having GOOD cover for Kyle. I have said more than once keep the nucleus of this side together next year and it could be interesting with a few decent additions to the squad.

Our problem is we always worry about what they can do to us, so we reshuffle teams, play a different style and try to cancel out the threats from them - effectively playing for a draw or to sneak a win.

I'd rather we started concentrating on their weaknesses and put a team out to exploit them - examples Davie Weir - he may read a game well but runs like he's in treacle, their full backs push on an we track them all the way - leave a winger in their half make them think about charging forward. Celtics backline last week was terrible but we offered no presence and gave them a confortable night - all because we worry too much about them. You'll always need a bit of luck through there or a great performance from your keeper etc. but sitting back, or flooding the midfield plays into their hands. They always have someone on the bench that can counter the defensive approach and can change their attacking options. Get them on the back foot and they dont like it, their manky fans get frustrated and you can get at them.

All that said I thought we did ok last night, but lacked a threat up front, as someone else said throwing on Temps and Driver with 20 to go might have unsettled them at the back but their ageing back line looked fairly comfortable all night.

We won 6 nil last night...........in bookings!

Found it hard to believe in the current climate, during a tough and tousy match that not 1 Hun was booked.....paranoia :rolleyes:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I didn't think we were that poor tonight.

I was starting to think I was the only one of this opinion!!!

Last week I thought we were gutless, tonight I thought over the 90 we were the better team

Were not too bad tonight. Just lack a bit confidence to take the game to them. Pish ref aswell though

Cannot believe the Op thinks we were poor again. We might have lost an early goal but thought in the first half we passed them off the park and they resorted to hitting us on the break !!!

Unfortunately, we had zero threat up front so last 18yards were a struggle and we lacked imagination. I thought it was worth throwing temps and Driver on in the last 25 minutes to really test the resolve of the Huns defence.

But overall, a much improved performance since last game in Glasgow. Be interested how it is reported. Basically, we have been punished for not having GOOD cover for Kyle. I have said more than once keep the nucleus of this side together next year and it could be interesting with a few decent additions to the squad.

Christ folks... I am not alone then. :thumbsup:

If we had had a good target man up there last night I reckon he would have had a field day. no shame in that performance at all.

Let's just try and accumulate as many points as posssible now that we do not play teh OF for a while and see where we are at come the split.

I thought we played not bad. Passed the ball about well, but just lacked that cutting edge. By no means did Rangers boss us at any point. I just felt that we were crying out for Driver and Temps at about the hour mark. We had had them on the back foot pretty much since half time and the introduction of both of them for Suso and Skacel really could have made the difference. The encouraging thing about last night was that we actually looked like a football team, when in recent years at Ibrox and Parkhead we rarely have.

The only noise tonight was coming from the Hearts fans.

BIG NOISEY CROWDS? the only noise came from the jambos tonight oh yes! the very small section of jakeys did make some noise but the jambos made more noise laffin at them.

Archived