Hartley - what' thoughts now?

Francis Albert

Francis Albert

The multi-page Webster thread recalls the days of the 115 page Hartley thread. In retrospect, how do we feel about missing out on him?

Watching him against Celtic it wasn't hard to feel somewhat relieved. He looked nothing like the Hartley of old. The sight of him pointing out to others where they should be running, while simultaneously easily losing possesssion himself summed up his performance. One good delivery from a free kick was about his only contribution, and late on it seemed he'd even lost interest (or the legs) to jog out to take free kicks in wide positions. It was a bit sad to watch it.

The multi-page Webster thread recalls the days of the 115 page Hartley thread. In retrospect, how do we feel about missing out on him?

Watching him against Celtic it wasn't hard to feel somewhat relieved. He looked nothing like the Hartley of old. The sight of him pointing out to others where they should be running, while simultaneously easily losing possesssion himself summed up his performance. One good delivery from a free kick was about his only contribution, and late on it seemed he'd even lost interest (or the legs) to jog out to take free kicks in wide positions. It was a bit sad to watch it.

He'd be a good player in this team.

We_are_the_Hearts

Agreed, reminded me of Mikey Stewart in has latter days at us. He has lost that sharpness he had over 5 yards and gets caught in posession or has to rush passes. Also gives silly fouls away. Worth noting that our midfield never got close to Celtic a few weeks ago as well though!

He had a nightmare last night to be honest, I hope he doesn't play like that every week for them. He fell asleep for the Wilson goal.

And when he chucked the toys out the pram when he was wanting a penalty, it just made me feel sad for him. He isn't the player he once was.

Why do we have to constantly knock the guy now.We had Hartley for the best years of his career,he then had the chance to come back but his principles stopped him from coming but it doesn't need him to be ripped to shreds for every bad performances he has for the sheep.The guys a legend let's just leave it at that.

Francis Albert

Why do we have to constantly knock the guy now.We had Hartley for the best years of his career,he then had the chance to come back but his principles stopped him from coming but it doesn't need him to be ripped to shreds for every bad performances he has for the sheep.The guys a legend let's just leave it at that.

115 pages on him not coming to Hearts. Half a page post-mortem and you're outraged?

Rudolf's Mate

Oh how people forget. One player doesn't make a team and he's in a shocking team. He'd still improve our team and you only have to look at the amount of people laying into our central midfielders to realise that.

Oh and as for the ones saying he wasn't a very nice guy. My mate took his wee boy up to see them train several times. PH came over and said hello. Got picture taken etc. Everytime after that whenever he seen Ben he'd make a beeline for him, ask how he was doing and always remembered his name.

Oh how people forget. One player doesn't make a team and he's in a shocking team. He'd still improve our team and you only have to look at the amount of people laying into our central midfielders to realise that.

Oh and as for the ones saying he wasn't a very nice guy. My mate took his wee boy up to see them train several times. PH came over and said hello. Got picture taken etc. Everytime after that whenever he seen Ben he'd make a beeline for him, ask how he was doing and always remembered his name.

There you go!! Thread closed. Messi couldn't make the Motton Molestors look good, Hartely was and still is a quality player, I would have loved to have seen him back at Tynie. Unfortunately Madfud was against it (Hopefully he'll be against Webster coming back as well!!)

There you go!! Thread closed. Messi couldn't make the Motton Molestors look good, Hartely was and still is a quality player, I would have loved to have seen him back at Tynie. Unfortunately Madfud was against it (Hopefully he'll be against Webster coming back as well!!)

Did you watch the game last night?

Great player for us, was on the slide at Celtic and continues. Not a miss for us second time around but loved him as a Hearts player the first time.

To be honest I wasn't overly enamoured at the thought of signing him anyway, other than for sentimental reasons.

I thought he was pretty gash at Celtic once he left us.

He is finito.

Did you watch the game last night?

Watch Aberdeen v Celtic :mellow:

I was busy sticking hot needles in ma nob mate...So, No I didn't watch it :thumbsup:

mahgrassyshoes

What a knob! :verymad:

:whistling:

With the players we have available in the wide positions and their pace and movement I reckon it would have suited Hartley down to the ground.

He would have been fine if he had come back here.

Francis Albert

I am not sure what people are supposed to be forgetting. I certainly remember Hartley as a great player for us. He didn't do a great deal before nor much since. Yesterday was the first time I'd watched him for a whole game this season (except maybe at Tynie but I honestly can't remember without looking it up whether he played that day, which in itself says something). Granted Aberdeen are not very good and granted we are a better side (though strangely, going by JKB one with weak individuals all over the pitch, including central defence and midfield and no real goal scoring striker!).

Sorry but I saw nothing yesterday to suggest Hartley would improve our team, quite the reverse.

Whether he is a nice guy or not (and I have no reason to believe is not great with children!) is irrelevent but showing frustration with colleagues (Stewart-like) is more acceptable if you are playing half decently yourself.

Laying into our central midfielders? Genuinely?

I've heard nothing other than Mrowiec and Black being superb this season. Mrowiec was even in player of the season chat up until around Christmas!

(However, if you're talking about the usual malcontents on here laying into them, fair enough. If considered football opinions were shite, most folk on JKB couldn't stink out a matchbox.)

Anyway, PH? Great guy, was a great player, don't want him back.

Think back people - we were pretty scathing of Paul Hartley until Levein convinced him he could be a central midfield player instead of a wide man. Levein got his head and atitude sorted out and put him on a training regime that transformed him into the best box to box midfielder in Scotland.

Yes Hartley could pass and tackle but for me his biggest qualities were his engine, his desire to get up and down the pitch, making tackles at one end and then late runs into the box at the other. He did that for 90 minutes and his attitude was terrific.

We had his best years at Hearts - im sure the man himself would admit that. he looked a bit over weight within 6 months of moving to Sellick and Strachan turned him into a deep sitting holding player rather than the energetic goal threat he was for us.

YES Id have taken him back but Im glad he stuck by his principles. I know people that met him whilst at Bristol and he still referred to Hearts as "we" and "us". We get to hold the guy in high regard and we got Rudi instead - I doubt very much we would ever have got both of them back.

Now, I think that decision has been proven to be the right one for footballing reasons too - we play at a high tempo with all the players working their socks off to close down the opposition. hartley doesnt seem fit enough to do that for us. Im sure thats why he looks so frustrated playin for a poor Aberdeen team - the head still knows whats required but his body cant deliver.

Theres nothing sadder than bringing back a hero and watching him slide to zero. Im glad he does that somewhere else and leaves us with the memories of a fully fit, hungry Paul Hartley running anbut the pitch like the duracell bunny ripping up the Hobbos for erse paper.

Rudolf's Mate

Great player for us, was on the slide at Celtic and continues. Not a miss for us second time around but loved him as a Hearts player the first time.

Thought he actually did well in the Champs Leahue games he came on which I seen him in.

Apologies - unable to do multiple posts on phone but in response to other poster saying everyone has been singing the praises of Black and Mwroicec (ignore spelling!) you being serious? For a few games people have been but prior to te good games they were slated. Plus once we hit the sticky patch again there were posters laying into them.

Apologies - unable to do multiple posts on phone but in response to other poster saying everyone has been singing the praises of Black and Mwroicec (ignore spelling!) you being serious? For a few games people have been but prior to te good games they were slated. Plus once we hit the sticky patch again there were posters laying into them.

Aye chief, that's why I was asking if you meant on here, which makes sense as per my point above. I was talking from the perspective of talking to folk in the boozer etc. I've heard nothing but praise for Blackie and Mrowiec from "real people" this season. On the other hand, there are arseholes on here who would pick faults if we won the World Cup wearing nothing but our vests and pants.

thumbsup.gif

Guest Bilel Mohsni

"... The sight of him pointing out to others where they should be running, while simultaneously easily losing possesssion himself summed up his performance... "

Who we talking about here?...

Hearts-captain-Michael-St-001.jpg

Horrific deja-vu there for a second! :o

I would've preferred it if Hartley had left us for an English team or somewhere far away for the rest of his career, rather than have this prepetual, quarterly reminder of 'could he or couldn't he'.

All I will say is that between Jan 2004 and May 2006 he was a top player for us; one of the best in the country.

I don't think Hartley would be a good signing for us now his legs seem to have gone although there is no doubt he still has the ability though!!

His game fell apart after he left us. He played deeper and deeper for Celtic, trying to play like a Beckham style quarterback. Taking easy passes from the centre halfs and usually either giving it back to them or launching the world cup willy ball. At his best for us he was bustling forward and he did none of that after leaving Hearts.

Now this season with Aberdeen it is clear he is carrying far too much weight. He took it scandalously easy against us in the game when we gubbed them at Tynecastle.

I'm very glad that we got Rudi rather than Hartley back.

This. :thumbsup:

Rudolf's Mate

Aye chief, that's why I was asking if you meant on here, which makes sense as per my point above. I was talking from the perspective of talking to folk in the boozer etc. I've heard nothing but praise for Blackie and Mrowiec from "real people" this season. On the other hand, there are arseholes on here who would pick faults if we won the World Cup wearing nothing but our vests and pants.

thumbsup.gif

I personally think that there are two very good players in Black & Mrowiec however someone with a real presence would benefit them. I don't know PH from the next man however I'd have thought others would have benefited from him. Some will undoubtably say he would have been a more negative force however don't know how they can come to this conclusion. Look at Roy Keane and Man U. He was one for having a go at his players but he was also an effective captain.

Simple fact is that he is not the player that left here. He does not look fit and his best days are well behind him.

Great player and a legend for us in his day, but I don't really see that he would add anything to our side today.

I've always believed Takis Fysas and Rudi were instrumental in making PH the player we revere.

jt

Archived