Visa For Australia

Ragnar

Want to move to Australia permanently, basically what do I need and how long does the whole process take?

inb4 life jacket

inb4 snake repellent kit

Thanks.

Start with the High Commission - they'll surely have heaps of bumff on the subject, including the latest on "in-demand" trades.

Want to move to Australia permanently, basically what do I need and how long does the whole process take?

inb4 life jacket

inb4 snake repellent kit

Thanks.

Have you been before in the past?

Where in Australia would you like to live?

My sister moved to Perth about 4 years ago.Loves it.

Been watching that Wanted down under on BBC1 in the mornings.Just looks amazing.

Miller Jambo 60

A criminal record used to do it...

Not now thoughwhistling.gif,any small conviction snookers you.

As for the OPs question, best having a good trade and if your married to a nurse even better.

Remember a few years ago , there was an advert for nurses but wife never wanted to moveverymad.gif.

My pals brother is in Perth and he loves it.

Doug.

Have you been before in the past?

Where in Australia would you like to live?

No, I do however have an Auntie living over there.

Perth or Sydney.

Perth or Sydney.

I'd suggest Brisbane and Melbourne as two more to consider.

Maybe you should holiday there and see if it is to your tastes before moving permanently?

You could stay at your Aunt's so just need to find a cheapish flight.

I would have thought that having a relative over there will make my application more likely to succeed.

I done an Apprenticeship in Engineering (4 Years) before I done my degree, which hopefully means I'll be accepted as I hear having a good trade will make them more likely to consider you.

Got no criminal convictions etc.

Will do a little more research tonight...

I would have thought that having a relative over there will make my application more likely to succeed.

I done an Apprenticeship in Engineering (4 Years) before I done my degree, which hopefully means I'll be accepted as I hear having a good trade will make them more likely to consider you.

Sounds like you have a good chance - Good luck. thumbsup.gif

Mate, seriously advise going over for a few weeks first to get a feel for the place before making any long term commitment. I've never been myself, but I know a few people who went over to try and 'Start again' because they were told by a few folk that they were loving it living out there. One of them was back in 6 months and the other was back within 1 year. They didn't say it was a horrible place, just that they 'didn't get it', meaning that they didn't get the whole hype of the place.

I'm sure there are people who have moved out there and are loving it, I would just advise a small bit of caution before committing.

Good luck to you on whatever you decide to do :thumbsup:

Perth or Sydney.

Out of interest, why Perth? Unless you have a job lined up there or plan on staying with family there aren't many reasons to pick it. It isn't the most exciting city in the world and whilst it is a lovely city to visit for a week, living there would get boring very quickly. Melbourne and Sydney, even Adelaide and Brisbane, are probably much better options. My uncle, who has lived in Perth for around twenty years, likened it to a retirement home compared to the eastern cities when I was over last summer and I'd have to agree.

Melbourne>Sydney>Perth.

I'm sure I read that you can't live in Sydney or Melbourne for 2 years after moving to Oz.

Sure someone can confirm or rubbish this.

Nucky Thompson

Been watching that Wanted down under on BBC1 in the mornings.Just looks amazing.

I've watch a few as well. The cost of living is extortionate compared to here :mellow:

Might be worth having a look going to one of these http://www.expo-australia.com/

There was a similar type of thing happening in either Edinburgh or Glasgow, last weekend or this weekend. Can't find any more info on when where it was/is though sorry. Thought it would be a really interesting thing to go to, think the tickets were a fiver

I'm sure I read that you can't live in Sydney or Melbourne for 2 years after moving to Oz.

Yeah that sounds like rubbish to me, unless there's been a rule change. My mate's been living in Melbourne for the last 2 years and he went straight there when he emigrated.

Is there a way you can look at an online "might you be eligible" assessment without leaving your personal details all over the site? I'm coming to the end of my fixed term contract in July and it's completely up in the air whether a teaching job will come up for me here. Australia, Canada or the US would all suit me fine.

I'm rubbishing this.

You may be getting confused with the Working Visa (backpacker-type thing) regulations which were changed to encourage people to work in rural areas (fruitpicking etc.).

Have a look at what jobs are available and where. Then go there. :thumbsup:

Personally I'd pick Brisbane. I thought it was a fantastic city and the surrounding area was great too. We stayed with the wifes family in Ipswich. I think it was about 30 miles from Brisbane and it was a nice place.

I think emigrating to Australia would be easier than going to other countries due to the language.

I think there's a few Aussies on here. They might be able to help. :thumbsup:

Geoff Kilpatrick

|'m rubbishing this because I came, er, to Melbourne.

You may be thinking of some visas that restrict where you can live. Not sure if they still exist or not to be honest.

It sounds like you do need to tie down where you are going and whether your skills match up with the in demand skills. Also what type of Visa will you be applying for. Only 2 states I think offer sponsorship on the STNI permanent visa, South Australia and Tasmania, but I think they've tightened up the qualifications required for those since we got ours.

If I were you I would try and get along to an Expo and talk to the reps from each of the states as each state will have different requirements or even talk to an immigration agent as they will be able to offer the best advice on what options are open to you.

Having relatives over here will only help if they are willing to officially support you financially etc should you fail to land employment, and this is all declared on the visa app.

Also http://australia.gov.au/topics/immigration will be worth reading.

|'m rubbishing this because I came, er, to Melbourne.

You may be thinking of some visas that restrict where you can live. Not sure if they still exist or not to be honest.

I second this rubbishing.

Also I don't think there are visa's that restrict where you live, there are visas (State Territory Nominated Independant) where the state sponsors you and there is an expectation you will remain in that state for at least 2 years, but you are not restricted to that.

We moved out to Perth last June and lasted 4 months then moved to Sydney. There is nothing to do in Perth. Pubs and restaurants close early. We got asked to leave a restaurant at 930pm as it was closing on a Thursday. Only plus side I have for Perth is the weather and the Dockers!!.

Sydney is a cracking place. There is something on every weekend and loads to do. Never been to Melbourne or Brisbane but i hear good things. Adelaide is the same as Perth.

We moved out to Perth last June and lasted 4 months then moved to Sydney. There is nothing to do in Perth. Pubs and restaurants close early. We got asked to leave a restaurant at 930pm as it was closing on a Thursday. Only plus side I have for Perth is the weather and the Dockers!!.

Sydney is a cracking place. There is something on every weekend and loads to do. Never been to Melbourne or Brisbane but i hear good things. Adelaide is the same as Perth.

Erm how can you say Adelaide is the same as Perth? No pubs or restaurants that I know close early. Also Adelaide has the fringe festival, Clipsal 500 and a pretty good live music scene, 2 AFL teams.

Not saying it's all good here, but it's unfair to diss a place you have no experience of living in.

Erm how can you say Adelaide is the same as Perth? No pubs or restaurants that I know close early. Also Adelaide has the fringe festival, Clipsal 500 and a pretty good live music scene, 2 AFL teams.

Not saying it's all good here, but it's unfair to diss a place you have no experience of living in.

Sorry mate, its just what i've heard.

Pull an Aussie bursd and get her up the duff. Worked for me. woot.gif

Might cost just about the same for a kid as it does for a visa normally :woot:

Selkirk_Jambo

Perth's a terrific city for settling down in. Great weather, wages and quality of life. Also its not quite as lifeless as some on this thread have suggested. Northbridge and Freo are as lively as any where else in Oz imo. Right about everwhere closing early though. If I was moving anywhere in Oz, it would be Perth. Also travelling up the West coast is a lot more 'Australia' than the East, which is basically one long tourist trap. Saying that, Byron might be the coolest place on Earth.

Sydney's a wee bit soulless and up its own erchie to be honest. Once you've seen the Bridge and the Opera House and the rest of the tourist traps, your done. Great for a wee visit but theres no way I would want to settle down there. I was there for about 6 months and that was about 4 months too long.

Melbourne is great. Always something on. Got the feel of a European city, very cosmopolitan. Wish I'd stayed there a little longer.

Brisbane I was only in for a few days. Nice enough.

Canberra may be the most boring place on the planet after Luxembourg. Avoid.

I miss Oz :(

Archived