30 Years on

Robbo27_22

Next season will be my thirtieth season of following the Famous.

Saturday really got me thinking - is this the worst squad since that period?

After thinking about it and taking everything into consideration i.e. cost/value ratios, current climate, advancements in facilities etc, I've came to the conclusion that it is.

McLean's period was worse in terms of results but the squad was total **** and most folk knew it.

In this set up, we have a few players of worth but they just don't seem to give a feck. Nobody bursts a sinew any more to get to the ball.

It fills me with dread that we could go into next year with almost the same squad - why Audrey has been signed for another year is way beyond me. He's not kicked a ball since Falkirk at home in September. Any other industry with that kind of return and you would have seen the door, never mind a new contract.

That about sums it up for now - a lot rests on the activity between now and August. We have one chance to get it right - starting with a manager.

Not been this glum about Hearts for a long time.

Buffalo Bill

94/95 had some good moments, even though Tommy Mclean was a nasty little hamster-chopped git.

This season has been my worst.

My second worst (least enjoyable) was last season.

98/99 comes in third.

Special shouts to 90/91, 92/93 and 93/94.

I started going in April 1982.

Buffalo Bill

Dirk Diggler

My worst was 98/99.

After the high of the previous season (and even starting the season so well by beating Rangers at Tynie) I struggled to accept us being involved in a fight against relegation.

Clerry Jambo

After thinking about it and taking everything into consideration i.e. cost/value ratios, current climate, advancements in facilities etc, I've came to the conclusion that it is.

McLean's period was worse in terms of results but the squad was total **** and most folk knew it.

In this set up, we have a few players of worth but they just don't seem to give a feck. Nobody bursts a sinew any more to get to the ball.

It fills me with dread that we could go into next year with almost the same squad - why Audrey has been signed for another year is way beyond me. He's not kicked a ball since Falkirk at home in September. Any other industry with that kind of return and you would have seen the door, never mind a new contract.

That about sums it up for now - a lot rests on the activity between now and August. We have one chance to get it right - starting with a manager.

Robbo, if it was legally possible I would fine these impersonators of professional fitba players a weeks wages for starters - they also were a disgrace to the jersey:mad:

:107years:

Buffalo Bill
My worst was 98/99.

After the high of the previous season (and even starting the season so well by beating Rangers at Tynie) I struggled to accept us being involved in a fight against relegation.

Apart from home wins over the Old Firm, the only other good thing about 98/99 was the way we finsihed, with McSwegan hitting form, Cameron coming back, and the signing of Darren Jackson.

It was a shocker of a season though.

But the crap we see now is worse.

Buffalo Bill

This is the first full season that results haven't had any sort of effect on me. I go to the games, get bored, take the **** out of what is going on with the team to my mate and by the time I get to the pub the match has been forgotten about.

There has been many times this season I've not known where we were in the league or who we were playing next, this has never happened before.

Individually we have some decent players but as a unit they have to be the most unimaginative, gutless lot I've ever had to endure watching.

if this is your twenty ninth season then we had a couple of trips down to div 1 in those years, yes the first division was a laugh but getting relegated was no fun at all, we may be absolute mince now and this is a very sorry group of individuals but we have had a couple of good results this season, rangers in the league and smellic in the cup being two of them, i dont remember when we went down to the first division last time (81 i think) having any good games at all, mind you even though we were awful then it was enough to hook me (i started watching hearts in august 80) and i still come back. dont be glum as the good times will be back, ok it might take a long time but thats all part and parcel of supporting hearts, lets face it when you started supporting them in 78 did you think it would take us 20 years to win a cup?

Saturdays performance was bad - but nothing like as bad as some of the performances I witnessed in the late seventies. I've written off the rest of this season and only hope Frail decides to give some of our youngsters a run out in the games that are left. After Saturday there are quite a few players in the current squad that should be ashamed to be picking up wages given the level of their passion and endeavour in what was a make or break match.

Roll on the clear out!

I have never known a Hearts side that makes me feel like this one.

Going to games at Tynie just now is absolutely murder.

To go through game after game with so little 'action' is criminal.

if this is your twenty ninth season then we had a couple of trips down to div 1 in those years, yes the first division was a laugh but getting relegated was no fun at all, we may be absolute mince now and this is a very sorry group of individuals but we have had a couple of good results this season, rangers in the league and smellic in the cup being two of them, i dont remember when we went down to the first division last time (81 i think) having any good games at all, mind you even though we were awful then it was enough to hook me (i started watching hearts in august 80) and i still come back. dont be glum as the good times will be back, ok it might take a long time but thats all part and parcel of supporting hearts, lets face it when you started supporting them in 78 did you think it would take us 20 years to win a cup?

I am the same have watched for over 35 years and seen all, even stood on terrace till the final whistle of 0-7 !!!! like everything time heals and maybe I did feel worse back then/ but think at this time things are as bad as they can get. The whole regime is rotten at the moment and it really frightens me at times. but hey GOT TO KEEP GOING AND HOPE THAT THE GOOD TIMES WILL COME BACK :Hearts Man dance:

shaun.lawson

It's my worst too (I started following the club during 91/2). Buffalo Bill's right - 94/5 did at least feature some hopeful moments, and the desperately dull year before that included the Wayne Foster derby. JJ's entire time at the club was my favourite period as a Jambo - because I'm perverse, I really enjoyed 99/0, and even though 98/9 was scary at times, the end of season surge left me feeling very hopeful about what was still ahead - and I also preferred 02/3 to 05/6: the latter will always feature a sense of what might have been when I look back to it, whereas in 02/3, we achieved as much and more than could ever have been expected given the squad and off-field situation.

But this season has been something else. Flat, listless, embarrassing at times - and as I wrote the other day, nothing for a fan like me to connect with or hold onto. I don't share other peoples' fears that it's going to be like this as long as Vlad owns the club, and believe big changes are on the way, but still: mid-May can't come quickly enough as far as I'm concerned.

Late 70's was bad, but I think this is worse. they wernt over paid in them days . Just crap.. Crawford Boyd and Jim Denny spring to mind. And i could spell and pronunce the names then ..........

This is certainly my worst. Got my first season ticket in 2001/02 and have been going to aways for about 3 and a half seasons, so I've been privileged in the sense that the Hearts squads I've followed have been pretty good.

I really dread to think about next season. It gives me the fear, it really does. I may sound completely pessimistic, but I actually wouldn't put it past Romanov to sign no-one and to sell Kingston, Palazuelos and a few others. Oh, and we can forget a manager :)

Is this the worst squad ever , in my lifetime (40 years as a Jambo) ?

I would say it is because of the level of expectation created by Vlad , the huge amount of money expended on players & contracts , the miniscule return on that investment , the sheer indifference and lack of effort seen from some 'players' and the fact that some are simply beyond embarrassing.

I now feel as though I've gone back 25-30 years when I completely lost interest in the team. I don't even bother lsitening to the game or checking into JKB on match days because you know what is coming : dire football , dire tactics. One poster mentions two highlights over the OF this season that we never experienced back in the bad old days. True : but if we're taking consolation from that then we truly have sunk very low.

We've also had some crappy managers - but at least we had a manager and not a Vlad Puppet.

1980/81 team, squad performances were worse than now by a long way. :mad:

Played 36 W 6 D 6 L24

GD of -44

a few highlights:-

a 6-0 gubbing from sellick, a 4-0 gubbin from the huns & Dundee Utd

beaten away in the LC by Ayr 4-0

knocked out of the cup @ home by Morton

beaten by morton, airdrie, partick thistle.

this season doesn't come close! :107years:

98/99 was a disgusting season. Also the only season I have gone to every single game.

Funny, this is the only season so far that I've been to every game :sad:

I've seen Hearts for 40 years and I have no faith in Frail, Kingston, Stewart, Berra the so called better players. I won't even mention the muppets from Lithland. I think the players today are shocking, I would clear most of them out.

Smoked-Glass

02-03 was a great season and 05-06 was the one where i thought we'd actually win that league.

I have picked a good year not to renew my season ticket. I'm glad I didn't!

I tend to measure the enjoyment of a season based on how early and how often I hit the pub. This season has been my worst ever, we're talking borderline alcoholism now!!

Perhaps someone could collate everyone's cpinions as the consenus seems to be that this is certainly the worst in over a decade and send it to the club asking for a response maybe Mr Mann can put some positive spin on it for us.

Buffalo Bill

I watched an old Sportscene from 1981 recently.

Motherwell 2 Hearts 2.

Hearts couldn't even make it out of the First Division in those days.

But at least the players tried.

That's all I ask.

Buffalo Bill

I`d say from the age of 10 was when i regularly started going to games so i`d say 1984 was my starting point of being a "real" fan, although obviously being a fan from birth(almost!).

Anyway, i`d say in that 24 years this is no doubt one of the most uninspiring.

Under McLean we did have some decent games to remember. But this year, we have come to see too often performances with no desire and a willingness to put yourself out, as they say.

In the last two seasons we have had far too many off days as the management would term it, and this is what hurts the most.

I was brought up on a diet of the Robbos, Colquhouns and Clarks. These guys built my image of what Hearts SHOULD be all about. First and foremost desire then after, no shortage of skill and style.

FIGHT is what you must have ALL the time, otherwise you will never perform to your ability. Of course you need to be a good footballer, but you need both in good amounts to succeed.

This season has highlighted BIG TIME alot of our faults. From individuals simply not talented enough to others who don`t have the guts when the chips are down.

Agreed, it is the worst. The passion, heart, soul, enthusiasm, excitement, interest and romance have all but gone. My love for the club perpetuates but HMFC, in its present guise, is hardly recognisable to the one I fell in love with all those moons ago.

I have been going since 82 and this is by far the worst.

my wife thinks it's great though because i am no longer in a big mood if we get beaten and i don't want to watch the highlights every ten minutes.

that says it all i feel like i don't care as much as i used too

Nelly Terraces
Agreed, it is the worst. The passion, heart, soul, enthusiasm, excitement, interest and romance have all but gone. My love for the club perpetuates but HMFC, in its present guise, is hardly recognisable to the one I fell in love with all those moons ago.

Ditto.

1980/81 team, squad performances were worse than now by a long way. :mad:

Played 36 W 6 D 6 L24

GD of -44

a few highlights:-

a 6-0 gubbing from sellick, a 4-0 gubbin from the huns & Dundee Utd

beaten away in the LC by Ayr 4-0

knocked out of the cup @ home by Morton

beaten by morton, airdrie, partick thistle.

this season doesn't come close! :107years:

As the point of the initial post was missed by the hard of thinking, I'll recap.

Yes, we've seen worse end results from seasons. The year we never got out of the 1st div being by far the worst imo.

However, back then and under the McLean period, the squad we had was utter keech.

My point was that todays squad is well paid, well looked after in terms of facilities and should just be doing a whole lot better.

At least the teams of yesteryear tried in most cases - it just so happened that they were awful players.

Archived