Fosters Day Scottish Cup 4th Round, 20 February 1994

jimbojambo

Wayne's finest moment as commemerated by his framed jersey in the Tynie Arms.

We were under the cosh most of the game but Wayne broke through to seal 21 in a row. The celebrations in the Dunbar Road end continued long after the final whistle.

If you want to re-live the moment that Wayne entered into Jambo folklore please drop me a PM as we are showing the whole game on the big screen at the Merchiston Hearts on Friday 18 February in aid of club funds. A limited number of tickets are still available at ?5.00 including a Greggs pie at half time and we are confident that the great man himself will make an appearance. We also have brilliant prizes for the raffle and a nearest the bottle wins so should be a great night.

Wayne, Wayne, Super Wayne

I was there and it was an incredible experience.

As a 90 minute game of football, it was pretty terrible, we only had two shots on target the whole game IIRC.

But the two vital goals and the scenes were something very few games have ever surpassed for me.

...the last great terracing sway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn0lGFGMccw

Fantastic a great shout.

As BB says that was some experience. Dunbar end went berzerk hibbies I know to this day say they've not seen an away support go as raj as that. Still a seriously sore point for them too... Tremendous!

I'd been to fosterroad many times before, and been back many times since. I remember coming up there, and stopping at London Road and looking back down, never seen the massed support like that, before or since.

Still get a warm glow, when I think of that day.

As an aside, apparently Superwaynes favourite Hearts goal scored, was against Kilmarnock, can't see that he'll have celebrated that one in such an iconic fashion.

jt

Still get a warm glow, when I think of that day.

jt

Note to all, jt has not just p i s s e d his pants :thumbsup:

jt

Remember it like it was yesterday. I still celebrate Wayne Foster Day with a beer every year on the day. And will be doing the same next month. :thumbsup:

Remember it like it was yesterday. I still celebrate Wayne Foster Day with a beer every year on the day. And will be doing the same next month. :thumbsup:

I was behind the goals with my dad, aged 11. This goal has been my desktop since I got my laptop, so I see this goal every day and never tire of it.

Every victory over the mankies is a good victory but this game stands out for atmosphere. 10,000+ Jambos that day. The Dunbar End shook when that goal went in. That's what made standing at matches brilliant. Pity you had to wade through a river of pish to get there though!

I don't think the sheer joy of that result will ever be surpassed for me, even destroying them a Hampden was not (quite) as good, it still brings a great feeling every time I see the goal going in and the party after wards....

I was behind the goals with my dad, aged 11. This goal has been my desktop since I got my laptop, so I see this goal every day and never tire of it.

its on my desktop at home, did have it at work but due to our electronic media policy was told to remove it. But thinking of resurrecting it for 1 day next month :lol:

I was there!

It wasn't quite as much pressure from Hibs as we had last week from Ugly Blue but, similar but greater buzz at the late goal!

After all, it was Hibs and the Cup!

The good ol'days when the toilets were awful, on a rainy day you got soaked regularly, but what an atmosphere!

We lost a major part of the football experience when we lost the the terracing, and the spreading out of the singers, the ones who made a noise for the team has changed the whole atmosphere!

And, something else in the context of that goal, we hardly ever hear anything about the man who hit a perfect through ball - Gary MacKay.

its on my desktop at home, did have it at work but due to our electronic media policy was told to remove it. But thinking of resurrecting it for 1 day next month :lol:

Who do you work for, Kwik-Fit? :rolleyes:

One of the best times I had on the old terracing at ER. I ended up 30 feet away from my mate such was the sway and jumping around after Fozzie did the business.

I've told this story many times before, but after the match and they held the hibs fans behind barriers, some grizzled old soak piped up "Ah've never even heard o Wayne Foster". Seems even then they had as many disingenuous excuses for how terribly unfair and unjust football was to them - outmuscled, not allowed to play their flair game etc!

Since 1983...

Does this game rank third?

Quite possibly since 1962. 16 May 1998 and 1 April 2006 being 1 and 2.

I tell this story every time this is mentioned.

A young Husref was at this game with his auld man, and I remember vividly telling my dad that if we were to be knocked out, McLaren would be off to Ibrox the following day. A guy in front of me turned round and, in more direct terms than this forum permits, informed me we would not lose and as such the transfer would not happen. I remember the chances they had, I remember Levein kicking the ball of our own post before smuggling it wide for a corner. I also remember Hibs fans applauding Foster on, such was his goal record. This game is the reason (along with Janczyk) that I do not get involved in the "who?" or "who are ya" shouts when an opposition player is brought on. I feel certain that their reaction spurred Wayne on that day. Lost our place by about ten yards when Foster scored, a joyous memory.

I was squashed behind the goal half way back.. Lost my brothers after the goal. No mobiles in them days...

I don't think the sheer joy of that result will ever be surpassed for me, even destroying them a Hampden was not (quite) as good, it still brings a great feeling every time I see the goal going in and the party after wards....

settle...destroying them at Hampden was the greatest victory ever over the Hibs, id go as far as to say its unlikely ever to be topped, unless were to beat them in a final its self.

speaking from over 40 years Hearts supporting experience.

Victor Meldrew

I was there. 19th birthday and Dad took me along to the Director's Box with him. We had all sorts of stuff chucked at us from the stand when we celebrated the winner.

One of my best days following the Jambos, that one.

I was in the stand with my mate. I'll never forget the look on their faces at the winner.

All the hearts fans were giving it the old GIRFUY signs to them.

The vermin also showed great class over in the bEast terracing, fighting among themselves.

How we laughed.

I was there! I was only 8 years old, and I was sitting on the terracing. I remember my Mum having to grab me when the goal went in to stop me from getting pushed off! Great days...

Nelly Terraces

The greatest goal celebration in history.

Fact.

Absolutley.

Ptretty sure that it must've registered on the richter scale. Used to be mental celebrations in the Dunbar End anyway, but Fozzies winner was just sheer utter unadulterated pandemonium. Yet another superb day out at the swamp.

I've still got the bruises.:D

Easily two of the best goal celebrations I've been involved with. Mind, I don't want to experience what happened afterwards on the corner of London Road/Leith Walk again. Bloody casual ambush waiting for Hearts fans making their way home - never run so fast in my life (and I don't win any Mr Svelte prizes either). Funny thing about that was, as soon as we reached Princes Street, there were a dozen or so Jambos who had escaped but one over-enthusiastic Hibs casual who forgot to stop running when the numbers were not in his favour. I didn't get involved with what happened after that and I don't normally condone violence. But bearing in mind what this little ****** was planning to do to any random Hearts fan under the cover of having his mates with in, his kicking was deserved.

Not half as funny as the wee spotty in a green scarf who tried to have a pop at me in Burger King afterwards (told you I wasn't svelte) only for him to stop abruptly once I stood up (he was a wee rake, I being old school rugby number 8 - I figured the odds would be in my favour of resolving this without any blows being aimed).

Then on the train back to Newcastle, my carriage had one Hibs fan and 20-odd Jambos.....we stopped the banter at Berwick out of pity. :lol:

I went with my two mates to the game,got in a maroonto the game,got out at middletons and promptly bumped into a bunch of hibs casuals and gotdown to near enough the bridge ,watched game,great crowd but the game passed and i was gearing up for a replay so made my way to the top of the steps looking onto albian rd when the ball from mackay come to foster i was getting ready to catch the ball as it bobbled infront of him then sheer bedlem,got back to the green tree and

A wonderful day.

My mate a good Jambo was a barman in the tolbooth tavern on the high street.

I went back after the match finished and never had to pay for a drink the whole night.

He looked after any Jambo that was in.

He celebrated as much as I did, and he was on the wrong side of the bar.

Never made my work the following morning either mind you.

Thanks Wayne Foster.

Total legend. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to avoid comic relief/corrie this Friday 18th we still have a small number of tickets available for the screening of the whole game. Starts at 7.30pm and tickets cost ?5.00 including a Greggs pie at half time and we are hopeful that Wayne will make an appearance. We also have brilliant prizes for the raffle and a nearest the bottle wins so should be a great night. Please drop me a PM if you would like to attend,

One thing I remember was that I never saw the ball hit the net. It was hit towards me and as soon as it went through Leighton's legs, the place just exploded.

Carnage!

I was there..

Desktop at work..done by some talented guy on JKB

fosterwip01ot6-1.jpg

Personally, that is an unecessary celebration and I sincerely hope he was booked for his actions which may have caused serious harm - shame on you Foster. :teehee:

By the way, anyone know who the kid is on Fozzie's left? He must still get a mighty buzz when he thinks about that day.

If you want to avoid comic relief/corrie this Friday 18th we still have a small number of tickets available for the screening of the whole game. Starts at 7.30pm and tickets cost ?5.00 including a Greggs pie at half time and we are hopeful that Wayne will make an appearance. We also have brilliant prizes for the raffle and a nearest the bottle wins so should be a great night. Please drop me a PM if you would like to attend,

I hope you sell all your tickets and that you have a great night, but, the game was hard enough to watch at the time. I am not sure I could put myself through the whole game again.

I hope you sell all your tickets and that you have a great night, but, the game was hard enough to watch at the time. I am not sure I could put myself through the whole game again.

Yeah I hope a great night is had by all too but you make a very valid point. THe game was awful apart from the first 3 minutes and the last 4!

wheatfield to sheffield

sadly, I wasn't there but was living on London Road at the time - my memory is of sprinting from the tv in the front room to the back window to hear the noise roaring up the hill after Super Wayne's moment!

Shanghai Hearts

What a day, the second when fozzy disapeared behind gums & the ball appeared through his bandy legs,the end began to erupt, do not remember seeing the ball roll over the line...BEDLAM. Certainly one of the best feelings ever!!

SectionDJambo

I remember listening to the draw that paired us and the Hobos together on the way back from Firhill in the previous round. It was made at Easter Road, and you could hear them cheering when they heard. We were a bit worried that the 20 game unbeaten run could end with them beating us in a big cup game.

The game itself was dire, but it is still one of my best memories of being a Hearts fan. As others have said, the celebration was something else. The Fozzie on the fench picture is iconic in Hearts' history, and luckily the match was televised, so we can enjoy reliving that sublime moment for ever.

I was standing directly behind the line of his shot and, as it passed through bandies legs, was celebrating before it crossed the line.

I bought the picture that the Evening News had on it's back page on the Monday, of Wayne running towards the fence. I hung it on the wall, deciding never to take it down until we won a trophy, because the feeling was so good, even in the bad times, a wee glance at that picture would make me smile again.

Happy Wayne Foster Day on the 20th everyone. Perhaps a wee reminder during the match on Saturday would remind us all of this wonderful day.

I was there and it was the only time i`d been in the main stand at Fester for a derby and not behind the goals. I was at the front row of the enclosure and ended up on the track after Fozzies goal!

Even among the celebrations i found time to look over at my fellow Jam Tarts behind the goals and it was like a bomb had went off, bedlam!

FTH

I was there and it was the only time i`d been in the main stand at Fester for a derby and not behind the goals. I was at the front row of the enclosure and ended up on the track after Fozzies goal!

Even among the celebrations i found time to look over at my fellow Jam Tarts behind the goals and it was like a bomb had went off, bedlam!

FTH

I was in the enclosure as well. We always seemed to be in the Main Stand in those days, which in hindsight was probably a decision of my dads. The first time i ever stood on the Dunbar End was the next Derby, 22 (0-0 if i remember right), which was also the first time i was allowed to go to Foster Road with a couple of mates from school (one of whom is now sadly dead).

It is the scenes from this game and Bayern that always stick in my mind when i think back about standing at football. Absolute pandemonium when i can see both the Dunbar End and the Shed in my minds eye.

My old man was also nearly lifted near the end for throwing the ball away when he caught it. He got a right talking to off a steward. I'd have had a hard job explaining that one away to my mum.

I also remember i went to a Murrayfield Racers game that night, although i remember nothing about that game unsurprisingly enough.

Suspect Device

heh heh, I was in the stand, never forget my pals comments (he's on here :whistling: ) - you've all seen the goal, so you'll get the drift...

"lob him,, lob him,, LOB HIM !,, aw naYEEEEES" :lol:

I was at the match with my son his first time at Fester rd. You can see me in the pic of Foster on the fence with the Hearts fans.

I was in the enclosure as well. We always seemed to be in the Main Stand in those days, which in hindsight was probably a decision of my dads. The first time i ever stood on the Dunbar End was the next Derby, 22 (0-0 if i remember right), which was also the first time i was allowed to go to Foster Road with a couple of mates from school (one of whom is now sadly dead).

It is the scenes from this game and Bayern that always stick in my mind when i think back about standing at football. Absolute pandemonium when i can see both the Dunbar End and the Shed in my minds eye.

My old man was also nearly lifted near the end for throwing the ball away when he caught it. He got a right talking to off a steward. I'd have had a hard job explaining that one away to my mum.

I also remember i went to a Murrayfield Racers game that night, although i remember nothing about that game unsurprisingly enough.

heehee, reminds me of a derby at Fester when Leighton was in goals for the Vermin. We were 3 up (ended 4-0) and the ball went into the Hearts end right at the front. I looked over as two lads juggled the ball and then one of them booted it half way down the park to the delight of the away support....it was an old mate of mine from the Calders and his Brother up to mischief.......the big cant always had a good blooter on him....was on the end of many a skelp from him in a game of sting! hahahaa

So that was your dad? I have watched that several times over the years and still laugh every time I see that ball go upwards!

Archived