Visiting Normandy in May

Italian Lambretta

Italian Lambretta

Going to take my son to Normandy in May to see Omaha beach, cemeteries and all the places the 101st where involved in.

Planning to get a flight from Edinburgh to Paris with AirFrance and train it to Bayeux in Normandy and stay for a couple of days. Would appreciate any info from anyone who has been ie. Hotels, travel, tours, etc etc. Looking to do the Overlord Tour half day visiting Omaha beach and other half Band of Brothers sights.

Going to take my son to Normandy in May to see Omaha beach, cemeteries and all the places the 101st where involved in.

Planning to get a flight from Edinburgh to Paris with AirFrance and train it to Bayeux in Normandy and stay for a couple of days. Would appreciate any info from anyone who has been ie. Hotels, travel, tours, etc etc. Looking to do the Overlord Tour half day visiting Omaha beach and other half Band of Brothers sights.

I've been on holiday to Normandy but can't recommend any hotels unfortunately.

I spent a day in Arromanches (sp?) , There is a very good museum there and you can still see the Mulberry harbour remains quite clearly. If it's a nice day , the kids will enjoy the beach. You'll recognise the place from news clips even if you don't recognise the name.

Bayeux is lovely and well worth a visit. If you're thinking about going to see the tapestry , take plenty of dosh - it costs a fortune to get in.

Italian Lambretta

Not interested in Tapestries only WWII.

I've been on holiday to Normandy but can't recommend any hotels unfortunately.

I spent a day in Arromanches (sp?) , There is a very good museum there and you can still see the Mulberry harbour remains quite clearly. If it's a nice day , the kids will enjoy the beach. You'll recognise the place from news clips even if you don't recognise the name.

Bayeux is lovely and well worth a visit. If you're thinking about going to see the tapestry , take plenty of dosh - it costs a fortune to get in.

southside1874

I was in arromanches about 12 years ago. Its the beach with the mulberry harbour was built and still has some of the concrete sitting in the sea. I stayed in the marine hotel overlooking the beach and remember it being very reasonable. They have a museum dedicated to the landings and a paratrooper hanging from the church spire.

http://www.hotel-de-la-marine.fr/index_en.html

0k mate, I visit Normandy regularly if you are doing the beach tour's there are loads. Some places to visit are Saint mere Eglise , Utah beach, Dead mans corner (Carentan) Pegasus Bridge and many more. Bayeux is a good place to stay plenty of hotels (can be quite expensive) though. One question I would ask do you drive ? If you can it would be better if you could hire a car and do your own thing. Omaha beach is an awesome place the American cemetry is a sombre place also take in the new visitor centre there. One other place to definatly take your son to is Point Du Hoc between Omaha and Utah beaches, this is the place the American Rangers climed the cliffs to take out the German gun inplacements only to find out when they got there they were replaced with telegraph poles. As I said there is so much to do and see I could be on here all day telling you of different things to do and visit, I have been going every year for the last ten years and love the place, so much so 4years ago I bought a holiday home in a small village about an hour and a half south of Caen. Sorry for rattling on but D Dday study is a passion of mine and the wife thinks i must have lived as a soldier in a previous life :lol:.

If you require any further info please PM me

Italian Lambretta

Cheers for the info mate,

Spend all my life driving so I'm going to let the train take the strain for a change.

Had a look round the various tours and the Overlord tour looks ideal as it covers Omaha beach, the us cemetery and then goes onto all the Band of Brothers suff, Carenten, st mere iglese and Brecourt Manor.

This will follow from our recent visit to Berchestagen and the Eagles Nest.

My son loves all things Easy Company so visiting their sites is a must.

Was looking at staying at the Novotel in Bayeux for our stay.

Don't know how we'll do with food as we like our traditional fast food joints when on trips.

Feel free to tell us more as I'm sure there are other guys on here who would appreciate the info.

0k mate, I visit Normandy regularly if you are doing the beach tour's there are loads. Some places to visit are Saint mere Eglise , Utah beach, Dead mans corner (Carentan) Pegasus Bridge and many more. Bayeux is a good place to stay plenty of hotels (can be quite expensive) though. One question I would ask do you drive ? If you can it would be better if you could hire a car and do your own thing. Omaha beach is an awesome place the American cemetry is a sombre place also take in the new visitor centre there. One other place to definatly take your son to is Point Du Hoc between Omaha and Utah beaches, this is the place the American Rangers climed the cliffs to take out the German gun inplacements only to find out when they got there they were replaced with telegraph poles. As I said there is so much to do and see I could be on here all day telling you of different things to do and visit, I have been going every year for the last ten years and love the place, so much so 4years ago I bought a holiday home in a small village about an hour and a half south of Caen. Sorry for rattling on but D Dday study is a passion of mine and the wife thinks i must have lived as a soldier in a previous life :lol:.

If you require any further info please PM me

Doctor FinnBarr

As a little aside to this, the Mrs is from the North East and we often stay with her aunt in Ashington. The legion in Ashington ran a bus trip to the Normandy beaches and also included Pegasus bridge into the trip because a few members had been there with the paras. They went to a cafe that had been used as a HQ at the time where they were welcome for a few hours then the owner decided it was time that they left because his French customers were starting to come in. They didn't go quietly and got involved in a massive brawl with the French!

Ungrateful erses!!!!!

:angry:

As a little aside to this, the Mrs is from the North East and we often stay with her aunt in Ashington. The legion in Ashington ran a bus trip to the Normandy beaches and also included Pegasus bridge into the trip because a few members had been there with the paras. They went to a cafe that had been used as a HQ at the time where they were welcome for a few hours then the owner decided it was time that they left because his French customers were starting to come in. They didn't go quietly and got involved in a massive brawl with the French!

Ungrateful erses!!!!!

:angry:

The cafe Gondree is tiny inside, the owner is the daughter and anytime I have been there the vets were trated like Kings esp the paras, the cafe across the road however is another story,rude and ignorant everything was a chore to serve you. If it was the Gondree were there was bother that really is out of order.

Cheers for the info mate,

Spend all my life driving so I'm going to let the train take the strain for a change.

Had a look round the various tours and the Overlord tour looks ideal as it covers Omaha beach, the us cemetery and then goes onto all the Band of Brothers suff, Carenten, st mere iglese and Brecourt Manor.

This will follow from our recent visit to Berchestagen and the Eagles Nest.

My son loves all things Easy Company so visiting their sites is a must.

Was looking at staying at the Novotel in Bayeux for our stay.

Don't know how we'll do with food as we like our traditional fast food joints when on trips.

Feel free to tell us more as I'm sure there are other guys on here who would appreciate the info.

There are plenty of fast food joints in the area McDonalds etc. Cracking war museum in Bayeux if you get a chance go see, havn't been to Brecourt so some feedback would be good, you will have a great time and i can assure you that you will go back.

We went in 2007 but had a campervan and stayed in various camp sites.

We started at Utah beach and made our way east over the space of 11 days. It wasn't long enough to see everything really.

St. Mere Eglise is good and its a good base for seeing where the 101st fought. Its close to Ste Marie du Mont where Easy company were on D Day and the D Day museum on Utah beach. Its also close to Carentan and dead mans corner. Dead mans corner has a brilliant wee museum. If you like Band of Brothers you'll love it.

That part of the trip took 3 days but we could have spent longer.

We then went to Point du Hoc and the huge American cemetery and all the villages on Omaha beach. Again we'd like to have spent longer.

Arromaches is a great town to visit. Some hotels there and some good restaurants. The museums there are superb. Theres a 360 cinema at the top of the hill. Its fantastic.

As you keep heading west your into the British and Canadian sectors. You'll notice a difference. Still fantastic along there with various sites to see.

Pegusus bridge and the museum are brilliant too. Seeing where the gliders crash landed and how close they got to the bridge is unbelievable.

I'd advise hiring a car or motorhome so you visit places at your leisure. The whole area is maybe 50 miles from end to end so you can probably imagine how much is in between.

If you need any more in depth details just let me know.

:thumbsup:

Italian Lambretta

I like the idea of hiring a camper van for 2 weeks. I was looking to do this when I return to Bavaria.

How would you go about hiring a camper van in Europe. You don't know what your dealing with on the Internet.

I think we will go for a couple of days to get the feel of the place and then go down the camper van route to spend more time in the summer.

We went in 2007 but had a campervan and stayed in various camp sites.

We started at Utah beach and made our way east over the space of 11 days. It wasn't long enough to see everything really.

St. Mere Eglise is good and its a good base for seeing where the 101st fought. Its close to Ste Marie du Mont where Easy company were on D Day and the D Day museum on Utah beach. Its also close to Carentan and dead mans corner. Dead mans corner has a brilliant wee museum. If you like Band of Brothers you'll love it.

That part of the trip took 3 days but we could have spent longer.

We then went to Point du Hoc and the huge American cemetery and all the villages on Omaha beach. Again we'd like to have spent longer.

Arromaches is a great town to visit. Some hotels there and some good restaurants. The museums there are superb. Theres a 360 cinema at the top of the hill. Its fantastic.

As you keep heading west your into the British and Canadian sectors. You'll notice a difference. Still fantastic along there with various sites to see.

Pegusus bridge and the museum are brilliant too. Seeing where the gliders crash landed and how close they got to the bridge is unbelievable.

I'd advise hiring a car or motorhome so you visit places at your leisure. The whole area is maybe 50 miles from end to end so you can probably imagine how much is in between.

If you need any more in depth details just let me know.

:thumbsup:

I like the idea of hiring a camper van for 2 weeks. I was looking to do this when I return to Bavaria.

How would you go about hiring a camper van in Europe. You don't know what your dealing with on the Internet.

I think we will go for a couple of days to get the feel of the place and then go down the camper van route to spend more time in the summer.

We just done a private hire. I'll get the details of the different places we've hired from when the wife gets home and I'll let you know.

Its the way to do it. :thumbsup:

We also visited Contalmaison when over. If you do go for the campervan I'll let you know the sites we stayed at. All were great. :thumbsup:

Archived