Indian Restaurants

quitongo

Recently ate at Mother India in Glasgow which was fantastic, but what are people's opinions of the best one in Edinburgh? Any with BYOB?

Cheers folks.

The People's Chimp

Kebab Mahal is the best - but gets marked down heavily for a no alcohol policy.

http://www.kebab-mahal.co.uk/

Mother India in Edinburgh is just as good.

Kebab mahal has taken a dip IMO. The last 2 curries I had were really, really greasy and the lamb was cheugh/fatty. I had a chicken rogan josh before that and it was superb. But not going to be back for a while tbh as the last two were bad, bad curries.

There's a new place, AYman's over the road on Nicolson Square which is BYOB and has had good reviews.

Say What Again

Kebab mahal has taken a dip IMO. The last 2 curries I had were really, really greasy and the lamb was cheugh/fatty. I had a chicken rogan josh before that and it was superb. But not going to be back for a while tbh as the last two were bad, bad curries.

There's a new place, AYman's over the road on Nicolson Square which is BYOB and has had good reviews.

Haven't been since last summer. I had lamb on that occasion and it was pretty good.

I'll need to give that other one a try the next time the guys go out for a curry.

I'm never up that way with the missus for a curry now as Bonofol in Portobello has become superb. It was always OK I thought, bit pricey and nothing really special, but its really improved over the past 18 months and has the bonus of only being 5 mins from home. My only real complaint about the place is it can be too busy at the weekends.

The People's Chimp

Big fan of Omar Khayyam at haymarket, Rivage on easter road and Brittania spice!

Heard good things, must give it a try.

The Guru on Dundee Street, Omar Khayyam at Haymarket and Gandhis just off Tollcross are the 3 I usually go to. All very good IMO.

Had a carry out of Itihaas and it was pretty good,will have to try a sit in there, for byob thereis Imans on nicholson street at surgeons hall which is quite good, mother india is better about ?40 for 2 with a bottle of wine and excellant food, Ignite on Morrison Street also worth a visit.Does anybody know if Kushis is still open on West Nicholson Street.

Had a carry out of Itihaas and it was pretty good,will have to try a sit in there, for byob thereis Imans on nicholson street at surgeons hall which is quite good, mother india is better about ?40 for 2 with a bottle of wine and excellant food, Ignite on Morrison Street also worth a visit.Does anybody know if Kushis is still open on West Nicholson Street.

Think Khushis is still there. Gone seriously downhill in the last few years though. Last time a bunch of us went in my curry had literally two or three pieces of lamb in it!

Would recommend Iman's round the corner. V. tasty food and bring yer own as well!

Red fort on Drummond Street is fantastic...BYOB too and they don't charge corkage. Was there last night and it was excellent :thumbsup:

The People's Chimp

Red fort on Drummond Street is fantastic...BYOB too and they don't charge corkage. Was there last night and it was excellent :thumbsup:

Cool, will need to try, always thought it was a bit dodgy looking.

Was in In Touch the other night, its won our curry club place of the year 3 times now. It has BYOB and doesn't even charge a corkage.

Food is good, portion sizes are great... Love it.

Its on ferry road next to the botanic's.

http://www.gavsworld.net/curry/

Cool, will need to try, always thought it was a bit dodgy looking.

From the outside it does look a bit dodgy but I was really surprised by how good the food was, reasonable prices too and good portion sizes. Went with a few mates so we just got a mix of curries and some rice and nans between us and just tucked in!

Think Khushis is still there. Gone seriously downhill in the last few years though. Last time a bunch of us went in my curry had literally two or three pieces of lamb in it!

Would recommend Iman's round the corner. V. tasty food and bring yer own as well!

Just wondered if it had improved since the last time i was in there about a year ago,obviously not!

have also tried In touch and can vouch for that.

Going out tommorrow night just me and the missus, cant make our mind up where to go,Kushi's is a no goer now!!

Heard good things, must give it a try.

It's expensive though, particularly when the waiters try to get you in and out in the minimum possible time... :down: Not been there for years, but that was certainly my experience the last few times I went.

Not a restaurant but The Mint (takeaway) in Portobello has never dissapointed us. Think it just opened last June and we have used it most weekends and always enjoyed. Good food, reasonably priced. Worth a punt

The People's Chimp

Original Kebabish is pretty damn good on Dalry Road.

Is part of a franchise. Been to the one on viccy road in glasgow, a few years ago, wasn't bad, haven't rushed back. But being on dalry road is pretty handy for after matches and a few pints.

Went to Itihaas during the summer and was throughly disappointed. Cant remember exactly what I got but i remember it being like chicken in heinz tomato soup. Maybe I just chose the wrong thing though! :(

Just before Xmas we tried 9 cellars on York place...........next to the stand comedy club...

Food was top notch but the service let it down ever so slightly....would go back tho...

Is part of a franchise. Been to the one on viccy road in glasgow, a few years ago, wasn't bad, haven't rushed back. But being on dalry road is pretty handy for after matches and a few pints.

I knew it was part of a franchise, which actually put me off going.

Ended up trying it though and was pleasantly surprised. Was really good.

It's BYOB though.

Recently sent my Mum and Dad to the Cavalry Club at the West End. They said it was very good.

Bit pricey though.

From the outside it does look a bit dodgy but I was really surprised by how good the food was, reasonable prices too and good portion sizes. Went with a few mates so we just got a mix of curries and some rice and nans between us and just tucked in!

Re : Red Fort

Only thing which occasionally lets itself down is the slow service.

Been going for years. The Ginger Murgh and Badshahi Murgh are superb.

on a side note to indian restaurants...

does anyone know of a good indian takeaway around the granton area?

Heading to my mates after the game tomorrow and he stays near telford college and looking for a decent curry if theres any nearby.

cheers

Was in In Touch the other night, its won our curry club place of the year 3 times now. It has BYOB and doesn't even charge a corkage.

Food is good, portion sizes are great... Love it.

Its on ferry road next to the botanic's.

http://www.gavsworld.net/curry/

I've been there a couple of times and liked it. Nothing too cutting edge, but good lamb dishes and a decent atmosphere.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I was in Iman's last Saturday with a group of mates. The meal was excellent, and it cost us ?20 a head for a fair amount of grub.

They also let us stay on for a bit to finish off the bevvy we took in.

Would definitely recommend it.

Mosque Kitchen, Mosque Kitchen & Mosque Kitchen. ?3.50 curry and rice. Most tender chicken ive ever had. Lovely sauce too.

The one on Vic road is one of my fav's, even tho it is part of a franshise the food is all made on site, the one on darly road is very poor compered to the one in glasgow. The food is no-where near as nice, but the menu is much larger.

Mother India is my fave in edinburgh, my only one downside is that last time we were my sister asked for the dishes to be a bit hotter, the main all came back with atleast half the bowl with chillis, not a pleast experience but it was our fault for asking them to make it hotter. Not being in the new IMAN's but the old one the food was average at best so in no hurry to try the new one.

Oh, and for a cheap bite, can't beat mosque kitchen or kebab mahal !

just heard the new Kushi's down at the shore has opened,(across from the Kitchen)supposed to be pretty good more seafood dish's but still has lamb and chicken, just wondered has anybody tried it yet? Still trying to decide on a place for tommorrow night!!

Rupert Pupkin

Went to Itihaas during the summer and was throughly disappointed. Cant remember exactly what I got but i remember it being like chicken in heinz tomato soup. Maybe I just chose the wrong thing though! :(

If you are out that way you are best bypassing ITIHASS in Dalkeith and heading to MEMORIES OF INDIA on the A7 nr Gorebridge .Superior food on every level.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Big fan of Omar Khayyam at haymarket, Rivage on easter road and Brittania spice!

I used to like that place. Until I got back to work, one day, after 3 weeks on holiday and 10 out of 12 colleagues who ate there on the previous Friday were all off with food poisoning. Haven't been back.

Itihaas in Dalkeith is excellent, and it's at the end of my street.

Heading to my mates after the game tomorrow and he stays near telford college and looking for a decent curry if theres any nearby.

cheers

Not tried it myself, but I've been told Monsoon, opposite Javits is quite decent.

I don't post often but AMANI at the shore is spectaculor! I live beside "memories" and it has gone seriously downhill in recent years- same sauce with some chillies chucked in depending on what you fancy.

Abida in Corstorphine ............... awesome

I was there last summer and it was really bad. Service was poor, beer was rank, food was overpriced and at best slightly above average.

For all I've heard about it, I could name half a dozen better without even thinking about it.

just heard the new Kushi's down at the shore has opened,(across from the Kitchen)supposed to be pretty good more seafood dish's but still has lamb and chicken, just wondered has anybody tried it yet? Still trying to decide on a place for tommorrow night!!

If its the same people who own the Kushis in Mid Calder then it will be top class. I also went to go to the Indian up at Tolcross, although I cant remember the name that too was very good.

Down in Bath there is an Indian called The Desh which is also quality :thumbsup:

Toxteth O'Grady

The Guru on Dundee Street, Omar Khayyam at Haymarket and Gandhis just off Tollcross are the 3 I usually go to. All very good IMO.

Another vote for the Guru, quality food, huge portions and BYOB if you want to. :thumbsup:

Another vote for the Guru, quality food, huge portions and BYOB if you want to. :thumbsup:

cool the Desh down in Bath is BYOB which keeps the prices down as they dont need a licence to serve drink and there is no corkage charge.:thumbsup:

cheers

Try Sonar Gao on Great Junction Street! The Green Bengal Chicken is stunning!

Eatern Pavillions in Corstorphine is very good.

Their North Indian Chilli Garlic Chicken does the trick.

Edit: Ignite at Haymarket is good too.

Archived