It's not just Parkhead we don't turn up for!

The Old Tolbooth

Apparently it's not just Glasgow matches we don't turn up for, I found this interesting piece of trivia about our history going back 125 years and wondered if there was any record of this anywhere else, or if anyone even knew about it?

http://www.burnleyex...earts_1_2961823

How did you find that?! :lol:

The Old Tolbooth

How did you find that?! :lol:

Ha ha, I knew someone would ask :lol:

I was tarting up my team on Xpert11 and noticed Hearts related newspaper links, so clicked on the link and this was one of the headlines that came up :D

Interesting one John and it is referred to in Albert Mackie's 1959 history of the club.

At the time that we played in the FA Cup, there were real ructions going on in the SFA because Scottish clubs were not allowed to be professional. English clubs were but the SFA didnt want "amateur" Scottish clubs playing against professional players. So pressure was exerted on Scottish clubs not to play in the FA Cup even though they wanted to and had done in the past.

According to Mackie, Hearts "scratched" to Padiham because of the professionalism row. Rangers also scratched against English opposition as did Queens Park in the following round. Not sure whether a club of Padiham's size would have had any professionals but the SFA wouldnt have liked it anyway.

As a further example, when Blackburn came up to Tynecastle in the same season for a friendly, they left all their professional players at home and just brought "amatuers" because otherwise Hearts wouldnt have played them.

Whether we ever told Padiham that that was why we didnt show up, perhaps we'll never know but they seem to be feigning ignorance so maybe they genuinely dont know.

Interesting find though and will be interesting to see if we send a team down - would imagine it will be U-19's as a pre-season job if it happens at all

GC

Hope this comes off Padiham is only a half hour from me

SPL are on the case and replay is expected 24th April 2078.

Doctor FinnBarr

SPL are on the case and replay is expected 24th April 2078.

Smashin, thats my 117th birthday that day, anyone for a party?

:lol:

The Old Tolbooth

Interesting one John and it is referred to in Albert Mackie's 1959 history of the club.

At the time that we played in the FA Cup, there were real ructions going on in the SFA because Scottish clubs were not allowed to be professional. English clubs were but the SFA didnt want "amateur" Scottish clubs playing against professional players. So pressure was exerted on Scottish clubs not to play in the FA Cup even though they wanted to and had done in the past.

According to Mackie, Hearts "scratched" to Padiham because of the professionalism row. Rangers also scratched against English opposition as did Queens Park in the following round. Not sure whether a club of Padiham's size would have had any professionals but the SFA wouldnt have liked it anyway.

As a further example, when Blackburn came up to Tynecastle in the same season for a friendly, they left all their professional players at home and just brought "amatuers" because otherwise Hearts wouldnt have played them.

Whether we ever told Padiham that that was why we didnt show up, perhaps we'll never know but they seem to be feigning ignorance so maybe they genuinely dont know.

Interesting find though and will be interesting to see if we send a team down - would imagine it will be U-19's as a pre-season job if it happens at all

GC

Excellent, thanks for that info mate, that's very interesting. :thumbsup:

Archived