Van Der Sar to retire (NHC)

Ray Winstone

Was apparently signed as back up to the first choice as either (or both) Kuzak and Foster will be moved on in the summer. As Van der Sar is retiring then they will still be looking for a no1!

Was apparently signed as back up to the first choice as either (or both) Kuzak and Foster will be moved on in the summer. As Van der Sar is retiring then they will still be looking for a no1!

Foster was transfered to Birmingham in the summer for an undisclosed fee was he not?

Here is the link to the Danish keeper signing:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/18/manchester-united-anders-lindegaard-schmeichel

Foster Transfer:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/birmingham_city/8673931.stm

Foster was transfered to Birmingham in the summer for an undisclosed fee was he not?

Not sure, was going to check but just thought he was just on loan!

The end of the article in the OP strongly suggests they will be looking to sign a new number 1 in the summer.

watched him for a season at Fulham, then had a couple of years watching Ollie Kahn in Munich who was beginning to creak then returned to Edinburgh to see a young keeper called Craig Gordon - only things Gordon lacked at Hearts was on crosses and kicking, apart from that he was their equal.

my hun employer excelled himself today by declaring that man-u would be far better to sign mcgregor.

apparently mcgregor is just as good as gordon and would actually be the better option because of his champions league experience (he also mentioned international experience :blink: ).

also apparently, gordon hasn't been a success in england because he's "always injured" and "has hardly played for sunderland".

watched him for a season at Fulham, then had a couple of years watching Ollie Kahn in Munich who was beginning to creak then returned to Edinburgh to see a young keeper called Craig Gordon - only things Gordon lacked at Hearts was on crosses and kicking, apart from that he was their equal.

I aplogise for being so boring in my response to everyone who claims CG is not good at crosses.

He's one of the best in the business at judging when to come and when to stay.

His performance this season at Stamford Bridge was impeccable and the wonder save against Bolton would not have happened if he came for even 50% of the time people think he should. Because he was never getting there but some people believe keepers should come regardless.

I refer you Allan McGregor's performance in Valencia, or his performances at the start of 3 of the last 4 seasons when he's been dropped by Rangers for clangers at cross balls.

Van Der Sar form at the beginning of this season was poor - why - because without Ferdinand and esopecially Vidic, he took it upon himself to come for everything, irrespective. He had a few flaps culminating in a horror loss of concentration at OT against West Brom.

Cue Ferdinand and Vidic back and he then chose when come out or not. Up turn in form when really he should have kept the same consistent decision process irrespective of who's in front of him.

It's not rocket science - only come for cross balls you will 100% get.

my hun employer excelled himself today by declaring that man-u would be far better to sign mcgregor.

apparently mcgregor is just as good as gordon and would actually be the better option because of his champions league experience (he also mentioned international experience :blink: ).

also apparently, gordon hasn't been a success in england because he's "always injured" and "has hardly played for sunderland".

McGregor is better with the ball at his feet, it's nip and tuck at who can do the wonder save better - although I think McGregor is more prone to making things look good (e.g the wonder save at Sweden'd 2nd goal - but he actually got his hands over the top of the ball and proceeded to but the ball back to where it came from rather than up, away or to the side - admittedly Gordon made a poor mistake against Wolves by not getting enough on a push out)

But in terms of decision making, patience, discipline, ability to learn from his mistakes and not make them again for some considerable time, even learn from other mistakes, Gordon is so far ahead of McGregor it's really scary.

Anyone who thinks McGregor is better than Gordon put simply, is thick.

I aplogise for being so boring in my response to everyone who claims CG is not good at crosses.

He's one of the best in the business at judging when to come and when to stay.

His performance this season at Stamford Bridge was impeccable and the wonder save against Bolton would not have happened if he came for even 50% of the time people think he should. Because he was never getting there but some people believe keepers should come regardless.

I refer you Allan McGregor's performance in Valencia, or his performances at the start of 3 of the last 4 seasons when he's been dropped by Rangers for clangers at cross balls.

Van Der Sar form at the beginning of this season was poor - why - because without Ferdinand and esopecially Vidic, he took it upon himself to come for everything, irrespective. He had a few flaps culminating in a horror loss of concentration at OT against West Brom.

Cue Ferdinand and Vidic back and he then chose when come out or not. Up turn in form when really he should have kept the same consistent decision process irrespective of who's in front of him.

It's not rocket science - only come for cross balls you will 100% get.

I was talking about when he was at Hearts TBH. Van Der Saar when he was at Fulham... I've seen a bit of VDS on TV at ManU but that's never the same as 20 home games a season... I take your point though, Gordon is a different sort of GK from the likes of Schmiechel who dominated his box or Barthez who came for absolutely everything that came near him...

Any GK is only exceptional if he has decent CBs. If he has too much to do he inevitably lets one or two in and bang the 15 points a season Gordon used to be good for for Hearts becomes low single figures - like it was for him in Roy Keane's Sunderland defence.

I was talking about when he was at Hearts TBH. Van Der Saar when he was at Fulham... I've seen a bit of VDS on TV at ManU but that's never the same as 20 home games a season... I take your point though, Gordon is a different sort of GK from the likes of Schmiechel who dominated his box or Barthez who came for absolutely everything that came near him...

Any GK is only exceptional if he has decent CBs. If he has too much to do he inevitably lets one or two in and bang the 15 points a season Gordon used to be good for for Hearts becomes low single figures - like it was for him in Roy Keane's Sunderland defence.

I don't think CG was as bad at Hearts as many people make out.

I take your point about CBs, but then again I don't think Bramble and Dawson are that great (Miles better than McShane and Nosworthy)but Craig still managed to put an outstanding performance in against Chelsea during that game

Craig Gordon is going to Liverpool?

Where's Reina going? For Spain's 3rd choice keeper he is perhaps one of the greatest in Europe, if not in the world and can't see Liverpool getting rid of him.

For Man Utd as a replacement there are two fantastic options in Germany in Rene Adler and Manuel Neuer. Both fantastic players and would be more than great for any top team in England and Europe. On Gordon, I think he'd be a good move for Utd, he's probably the best Scotland player, and I'm sure he'd be a lot better for going to Man Utd and getting the high quality coaching and training they'd provide. Then again, I'd love to see him between the sticks for Liverpool.

Quit your job. Your boss sounds like a complete spako

BangkokHearts

I would hate Craig to go to Man U or the bin-dippers. I would be torn between wanting him to do well and his team to lose.

Archived