All coming together - first time we've had all the components at the same time?

Robbo27_22

85/86 - Great at the back, creative in midfield, goals in JR. Ultimately, not enough goals scored.

97/98 - Good at the back, great midfield, lacked enough goals from our forwards.

10/11 - Great at the back, solid and creative in midfield with two who will both reach double figures, couple of forwards who will score double figures.

Not saying our current team is better than the two predecessors but the timing might just be right....

I don't think we have got all the components but neither have the two teams in front of us and one of them has won it for the last two seasons.

85/86 - Great at the back, creative in midfield, goals in JR. Ultimately, not enough goals scored.

97/98 - Good at the back, great midfield, lacked enough goals from our forwards.

10/11 - Great at the back, solid and creative in midfield with two who will both reach double figures, couple of forwards who will score double figures.

Not saying our current team is better than the two predecessors but the timing might just be right....

It's the timing that excites me. In 97/8 (when contrary to your view, I felt we had loads of goals in the team, but were always a bit too leaky defensively), although we remained on the OF's coattails until early April, we gradually lost the fluency we'd enjoyed in the first half of the campaign and were almost imperceptibly falling astern. This season's much more like 85/6 in my view: poor start, no-one seeing this coming at all, sensational run, very strong defence, and the ability to go toe-to-toe and come out on top in the crunch matches too.

That said, there are still weaknesses, especially up front; and there remains something slightly amiss at home. I fully expect at least a couple of non-OF opponents to hold us at Tynie between now and the season's end, which we can ill afford: as others have said, we really need an extra striker and another creative player if we're to go from contenders to Champions. But such are the massive flaws in both our, whisper it, title rivals, you never know: the confidence the team have should just propel them ever onwards, and that our away record is so magnificent will have the OF genuinely worried. Usually, they can intimidate us on their own patch; not this time though.

kenneth makela

I don't think we have got all the components but neither have the two teams in front of us and one of them has won it for the last two seasons.

Agree not all bits are in place. If we are to challenge this season IMHO we need a cooler head to run the midfield and cover for KK. Great result yesterday but we were'nt at the races in midfield for most of the game. Some players seemed really nervous on the ball and we missed quality in that area. Also without KK as an option we could not hold the ball up front. I'd still be happy with 3rd with anything else as a bonus but if we could bring 2/3 new faces as stated the OF would be there for the taking!

I never really see the point in making comparisons between teams now and those of the previous "runs". They are so long ago; it's not like it was just last year with a simple evolution of a previous squad.

However one big difference between now and 85/6, is that we were in the lead for most of the time with others chasing us. We played games against more lowly opposition while the top four (yes four!) were idle due to the World Cup play-off games against Australia. This time we are chasing the Uglies.

In 85/6 and 98 it was us against one other team really (by current points system, we would have finished on 70 points and DUFC would have been 11 points behind in third). This time there is still a three horse race and the season finishes with a split, so the run-in is likely to be against the other form teams.

This time we are up against two teams that may or may not be better than us in individual positions, but are no stronger than us as squads. Once the transfer window closes that's it. Nobody can buy a solution to injuries or loss of form. This means that money is far less important from the moment the window closes.

However it still remains the case that you need to keep your form and don't drop your bottle.

Does the 05/06 team not qualify? I guess they only did it for half a season. The 05 team then?

Fantastic keeper, 3/4 of a brilliant defence (and Robbie did very well), 3/4 of a brilliant midfield and two very, very good forwards. Our right side needed strengthening, (shame Burley reacted so badly to Ibby - he wasn't a bad player) and our forwards could have got a few more goals, but that is the most complete JTs team that I can remember with any clarity.

Patrick Bateman

We desperately need a midfielder who can pick the ball up from the defence and bring it forward in the traditional box to box sense. This will prevent us from reverting to hoofing or exposing ourselves with another Zaliukas charge. I'd suggest Kevin McDonald at Burnley; he was highly rated at Dundee but seems to have gone off the rails slightly.

Totally agree. Skacel is not really a ball carrier these days. Someone to bring it forward and then lay it off for him to shoot, to play one twos and get ahead of Big Kev and to let the wingers pick it up higher up the field is exactly what we need.

Archived