Marius Zaliukas - Beckenbauer

Italian Lambretta

Italian Lambretta

What's it about captain fantastic that he gets a brain meltdown and thinks he is Franz Bechenbauer?

How many times against rangers has he left us with heart failure when he does the unthinkable and conspires to lose us a goal?

We can laugh at it now as he got a with it on this occasion, but he needs to remember he is Marius Zaliukus and not Franze Bechenbauer.

But I still love the big guy.

His decision making was poor a few times, but it aint easy when neither of your midfielders wanted the ball. We can't lpay Pala and Adie together, they need Blackie or Stevo in there as they're willing and capable of taking the ball and bailing out our CBs and FBs

Zal did make me pee my pants a few times yesterday mind!

His decision making was poor a few times, but it aint easy when neither of your midfielders wanted the ball. We can't lpay Pala and Adie together, they need Blackie or Stevo in there as they're willing and capable of taking the ball and bailing out our CBs and FBs

Zal did make me pee my pants a few times yesterday mind!

So they are now your lucky pants.............you can't take them off till we lose now.

I think it's imperative that he keeps trying to play football from the back. He starts our best moves, and doesn't aimlessly hit it long all the time. It's a risk but unless we want to emulate the early 90's Wimbledon team, then we need someone to take that responsibility.

Yes, he shouldn't break forward either, like he did v Celtic before Temps goal, and today again leading up to the left wing move for the goal!!!

Honestly, I've lost count of the nit-picking posts about individuals after what is a great result.

Think I'll pop over to wearegoingdown.net and read some stuff from fans who have a real reason for moaning! Just for a laugh, of course and to help remind me how grateful we should be that JJ has put together a bunch of error strewn players, who are actually making things interesting and exciting.

In the first half there was zero movement ahead of him to receive a pass, this changed in the second half and Zal had a couple of good surges forward, including starting the move that lead to the goal, that got the team going.

i cant think of more than 3 or 4 times this season where zal has had a 'bombscare' moment due to him having ideas apparently above his station.

i can recall far more times when his pressing forward has directly resulted in creating some space for forward players to do something more creative. keep it up marius.

Drylaw Hearts

i cant think of more than 3 or 4 times this season where zal has had a 'bombscare' moment due to him having ideas apparently above his station.

i can recall far more times when his pressing forward has directly resulted in creating some space for forward players to do something more creative. keep it up marius.

In the past he was having 3 or 4 bombscare moments per game !!

Thankfully this is no longer the case and he is looking much more assured.

When your midfield is being over-run and aren;t interested in recieving a pass, and you don't want to lump a pass up the park because your main target man aint on the pitch, a surge forwards yerself is the only way to go!!

How come when Zal makes a small error he is having a Zal moment?

Templeton has been having a few Temp's moments in the last few games.

Black had a Blackie moment against Killie that almost cost us the game.

Bouzid gets consistently turned by the opposition forward - Bouzid moment?

Jonsson's lets be honest - terrible distribution. Eggert moments?

What's it about captain fantastic that he gets a brain meltdown and thinks he is Franz Bechenbauer?

How many times against rangers has he left us with heart failure when he does the unthinkable and conspires to lose us a goal?

We can laugh at it now as he got a with it on this occasion, but he needs to remember he is Marius Zaliukus and not Franze Bechenbauer.

But I still love the big guy.

If we want to rise above the mediocrity of the SPL and challenge then we have to take chances with our game. If Zal wants to bring the ball out of defence then let him as it can cause havoc further up the pitch.

He's als oa bl00dy good defender, as our goals against tally shows.

Yes, he shouldn't break forward either, like he did v Celtic before Temps goal, and today again leading up to the left wing move for the goal!!!

Was just thinking that. 100% agree.

A centre back who can occasionally break into the opponents half with the ball is a huge asset because teams dont cater for it. You immediately have a spare man cos te striker wont have followed him back.Zal has reated a fair few chances doing this, for instance our goalfor one. Bouzid is no way near capable of it and we would be a lot worse off if Zal was just a hoofer and header too.

Anyone noticed that yesterday's goal started with Zal skinning two men on a marauding run from centre half?

Oh yes.

Just as well "Zal, thinks he's Beckenbauer" or we wouldn't of won yesterday.

Really annoys me when our centre half's have confidence in their footballing ability.

Just as well "Zal, thinks he's Beckenbauer" or we wouldn't of won yesterday.

Really annoys me when our centre half's have confidence in their footballing ability.

There is a bit of the Alan Hansen in him when he strides forward with the ball.

thumbsup.gif

HillmanHearts

Franz Beckenbuaer WISHES he was as good as Zal.

Zal is awesome ( Cult hero in the making )

( Needs to brush up on his left footed clearances tho !! )

Can't beleive all the short sighted ******s that thought he was pesh and are now saying " Oh Duh ee woz gash but eez good coz Jeff made im good "

Just admit you got it fecken wrong ! Geez !

I dont think its a fluke that Big Zals return has coincided with our upturn in fortunes.......just think if he was available at the start of the season. Id be wagering we may have had afew more points!

jambos are go!

Beckenbauer was not above the odd moment of madness. I remember being astonished when he argued with the Goalkeeper Sepp Maer as a free kick or Corner was about to be taken against Bayern against Rangers at Ibrox. His reaction was to walk out of the penalty area and walk upto the halfway line totally abandoning his defensive duties. Incredible.

Snake Plissken

It's already been pointed out that our goal came from Zal having 'ideas above his station'. I recall the opening goal against Aberdeen a few weeks ago came because of an incisive through ball from Zaliukas, I think the Celtic goal has been mentioned too.

I think it's a typically Scottish mentaliy that a centre half should just hoof it up the pitch rather than try to play it out. I'd rather we retained possession than simply give it back to the opposition and invite more pressure.

Honestly, I've lost count of the nit-picking posts about individuals after what is a great result.

Think I'll pop over to wearegoingdown.net and read some stuff from fans who have a real reason for moaning! Just for a laugh, of course and to help remind me how grateful we should be that JJ has put together a bunch of error strewn players, who are actually making things interesting and exciting.

Zal has being great this season, ike yourself i've ost count how many times he has started the move from the back, i remember his run and pass for rudi for his hat-trick (but rudi hit the bar). Anyone who was at Kille could see how good his passing was. He played on saturday not 100% fit, like on tuesday he battled thru it !

Beckenbauer wishes he was as good as big Zal !:rolleyes:

I think it's Donkey Dave that he models himself on ... Beckenbauer is a step too far!

McPherson's mazy runs were entertaining and effective just like Zals. It's not just that there was often an end product in the form of a goal or at least a chance. Even if it amounted to nothing it reminded the opposition that the option of playing from deep was there and that they couldn't just sit deep and mop up the long ball. It forces the opposition to cover more threats and thus makes it more likely that one of them wont be covered well enough The longer we keep up this formidable run of form the more we're going to see opposing teams focussing on containing us by flooding midfield and marking up tightly. More and more of our games will be against teams playing 4-5-1. In these circumstances especially Zal, like Wallace, should feel free to take the ball forward when it's on.

One may see it as betraying arrogance but as well as showing a confidence in his own abilities on the ball Zal is actually showing even more confidence in his fellow defenders ability to cope should things go wrong and he's stranded out of position. McPherson must have felt a lot more liberty to have a go knowing that Craig Levein was still covering the back.

Maybe the OP has got it all wrong Zal he doesn't think he's Beckenbauer. He thinks Bouzid is Maldini

McPherson's mazy runs were entertaining and effective just like Zals. It's not just that there was often an end product in the form of a goal or at least a chance. Even if it amounted to nothing it reminded the opposition that the option of playing from deep was there and that they couldn't just sit deep and mop up the long ball. It forces the opposition to cover more threats and thus makes it more likely that one of them wont be covered well enough The longer we keep up this formidable run of form the more we're going to see opposing teams focussing on containing us by flooding midfield and marking up tightly. More and more of our games will be against teams playing 4-5-1. In these circumstances especially Zal, like Wallace, should feel free to take the ball forward when it's on.

One may see it as betraying arrogance but as well as showing a confidence in his own abilities on the ball Zal is actually showing even more confidence in his fellow defenders ability to cope should things go wrong and he's stranded out of position. McPherson must have felt a lot more liberty to have a go knowing that Craig Levein was still covering the back.

Maybe the OP has got it all wrong Zal he doesn't think he's Beckenbauer. He thinks Bouzid is Maldini

A very popular (and basic) tactic for Scottish coaches is to push the wingers on to the full backs and make sure they arc there runs when closing the full backs so that they cannot pass down the line and cover the centre midfield position so that they have to play it to the centre halves (genius, maybe Billy Reid thinks he is Mourinho). Centre halves are not supposed to be comfortable with the ball at their feet and thereotically the opposition will sit off the centre halves and cover any passing options therefore forcing them either into a mistake or just to punt a long hopeful ball. This is why when Zal gets the ball the whole pitch magically seems to open up for him. Most centre halves would be tempted to run into this space and end up ****ing up but Zal 80-90% of the time starts a meaningful attack when running into this space with the ball.

Now that Wallace is back this will happen much more as the wingers look to close off the supply to the full back they will be more than happy with the ball at the centre back position because the opposition think our central defenders are a couple of cloggers, which is way off the mark......only Bouzid is.

jambos are go!

A very popular (and basic) tactic for Scottish coaches is to push the wingers on to the full backs and make sure they arc there runs when closing the full backs so that they cannot pass down the line and cover the centre midfield position so that they have to play it to the centre halves (genius, maybe Billy Reid thinks he is Mourinho). Centre halves are not supposed to be comfortable with the ball at their feet and thereotically the opposition will sit off the centre halves and cover any passing options therefore forcing them either into a mistake or just to punt a long hopeful ball. This is why when Zal gets the ball the whole pitch magically seems to open up for him. Most centre halves would be tempted to run into this space and end up ****ing up but Zal 80-90% of the time starts a meaningful attack when running into this space with the ball.

Now that Wallace is back this will happen much more as the wingers look to close off the supply to the full back they will be more than happy with the ball at the centre back position because the opposition think our central defenders are a couple of cloggers, which is way off the mark......only Bouzid is.

How do you handle a Dave Macpherson surge of fond memory when he instantly turned defence into attack?

Obviously the problem is not with Zal surging forward. It's more of an issue to make sure that one of the central midfielders looks to cover as quickly as possible.

Zal will soon enough prove the doubters wrong by getting these ribbons changed from black and white to maroon and white the next time he gets his hands on it.

0,,10289~6903113,00.jpg

Archived