Champions or 2nd a realistic target?

123kid

Do we have a strong enough squad?

I think some are getting ahead of themselves. A convincing 3rd would be excellent to build on, strengthen during the summer and aim for better next season.

Guest C00l K1d

I think some are getting ahead of themselves. A convincing 3rd would be excellent to build on, strengthen during the summer and aim for better next season.

or why not try win every game and go for 2nd or 1st?

'why put off till tomorrow what you can do today' the league is winnable and, as I said at the start of the season, the old firm are nowhere near as strong as they once were.

We need a bit of luck, few injuries and the togetherness the team already has, then ANYTHING is possible.

Footballfirst

Go out and try to win as many points as possible between now and then end of the season ..... THEN look at the league table to see where we finished.

Templeton'sUnderpants

Surely every team in any league should be aiming to win it really? Maybe not realistic for some but should still be the aim. We have a better chance than most and as such it should always be what we aim for.

Go out and try to win as many points as possible between now and then end of the season ..... THEN look at the league table to see where we finished.

Totally agree, my Grampa used to say "take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves" This is kind of like that just take care of the games one at a time.

How are we getting ahead of ourselves? Just typical of some Hearts fans who always fear the worst. Yer team is on a great run, stop waiting on it falling apart.

Enjoy the ride and believe in the team. Who says we`ll be in as good a position next season or the year after etc...?

'why put off till tomorrow what you can do today' the league is winnable and, as I said at the start of the season, the old firm are nowhere near as strong as they once were.

We need a bit of luck, few injuries and the togetherness the team already has, then ANYTHING is possible.

feckin love that outlook :thumbsup:

I would like to see us really go and try and win it , I've seen us finish 2nd about 5 times in my lifetime , dont see splitting the old firm as success (we've done that).

We are not strong enough as today proved. We were outplayed and only won because of the brilliant Kello.

If Vlad truly wants to win the League, he must invest in another striker, a left back and a playmaker in midfield. The uglies are at their weakest and we may not get the opportunity again for some time.

We need to start picking up the form again.

If we can get through the trips to glasgow we have to maintain the form against ST J

I started another thread on us needing favours from other teams and it remains true.

Beating Rangers without Kyle is a big result. However, if we lose the games against both OF in the next 2 weeks then we'll be back to being well off the pace again as the OF will each get a likely 6 point boost...

second place isn't even a valid target.

it's either champions or not.

if we can't be champions then obviously second place is better than third. but it's still not anything to get excited about.

please do not demean the effort of those players by downgrading their target as second place.

We need to start picking up the form again.

If we can get through the trips to glasgow we have to maintain the form against ST J

I started another thread on us needing favours from other teams and it remains true.

If the old firm play badly and win games it is 'the sign of true champions' yet when hearts do it the press and even our own support are waiting for it all to collapse. we have won 10 out of our last 11 games.

No team plays consistently well for an entire season but good sides win games and that's what we are doing.

Problem Officer?

We are not strong enough as today proved. We were outplayed and only won because of the brilliant Kello.

If Vlad truly wants to win the League, he must invest in another striker, a left back and a playmaker in midfield. The uglies are at their weakest and we may not get the opportunity again for some time.

Am I missing something here?

I've lost count of the amount of seasons Hearts have been **** when the Old Firm have been really ordinary and the shout has been 'if only', if only we'd had a good year this year. Well this year we are having a right good year and the old firm are as ordinary as they've ever been. I'm getting sick of reigning in the optimism, what's the point? Whats the worst that can happen?......................

COME ON!!!! HEARTS FOR THE LEAGUE!!

sssshhhhhhh!

Thats Kello`s job...to save shots. Can`t you see there was more to todays performance than just playing well?

Have Rangers and Celtic always played well this season? Today was a big match, Rangers were well up for it and its funny, their best two performances have probably been at Tynie for whatever reason. Davis said their 2-1 win earlier in the season was their best.

The OF see Hearts as a threat and a big challenge and i`ve always believed they raise their game even more when they come to Tynie. JJ said as much pre-game. He said Hearts had to be aware that Rangers will step it up.

So today, while not playing technically too well, we matched one of the best teams in the SPL for effort and desire and won. It wasn`t St Johnstone or St Mirren or some other middle for diddle SPL side. Rangers shut space and made it hard for us but we stuck in and stayed resilient.

I think this is lost on alot of fans these days. You don`t always play well or get the chance to knock the ball about at will, alot of football games are about a battle of wills.

Am I missing something here?

No what is missing is what I meant to type a right back. Being the genius I am I often have a Freudian. Especially after a glass of wine. :mellow:

Was just looking for a bit of debate. I do feel it is possible. Keeping in mind we change back to a ten team league in 2012/2013 season so this might be out last change before the duopoly resumes!

Sorry but that is just "manager speak"

I thought today even the fans didn't think we would win the game, very quiet early doors.

We got a "big win" today

The whole club need to believe that we can go and challenge - as I have said on another thread we really need a "bednar" and a bit guile in the middle of the park and THEN we can go and give it a good go

I thought today even the fans didn't think we would win the game, very quiet early doors.

We got a "big win" today

The whole club need to believe that we can go and challenge - as I have said on another thread we really need a "bednar" and a bit guile in the middle of the park and THEN we can go and give it a good go

But what is the winning formula? teamwork, belief and desire for me. Of course you need the players, but we do have quality to make a real fist of things.

My point is, we were a shambles on the playing side for most of the last 4 odd years but could argue we`ve had some quality players in that time. Kingston being one in the midfield were people say we need more quality.

But JJ is harnessing and nurturing the good talent we have. He`s got the lesser lights giving their all until they are gone and on the whole got the squad pulling together as one big happy family. Thats worth its weight in gold.

All in all it`s about getting all the players wanting to be a part of it and JJ has achieved that. That`s the most imporatnt aspect for me at the moment.

The next step is going the whole hog, but we are part the way there.

We've got a great chance of winning the league if we get another quality forward to play alongside/cover Kyle. Also Templetons form has dipped slightly so maybe a rest is needed,Skacel is also of the boil but we are getting away with it (bar the cup exit),so maybe we bring in Suso and sign an attacking midfielder,I really hope that deep down JJ believes we are in with a shout and persuades vlad to part with some cash and make this season a memorable one.

alwaysthereinspirit

Rankgers just sold one of their better players for a measly 400,000.

Celtic have Lennon on the side lines.

There hasn't been a better time to go all out and do the damage.

We got a "big win" today

But we don't look like getting anyone in like that this month. There is no creativity in the middle of the park and we saw that again today. We badly lack a Steve Fulton, someone to put their foot on the ball and make some passes, I still think 3rd is the best we can achieve with the current squad. I was more dissappointed about going out the cup. I think 3rd and winning one of the cups would have been a great season considering how bad we've been the past few years.

fingers finest

Heard from a reliable source that we are meant to be getting Boydy, so 2nd at least!! :D

think the cherry cola has went straight to ur head

We've got a great chance of winning the league if we get another quality forward to play alongside/cover Kyle. Also Templetons form has dipped slightly so maybe a rest is needed,Skacel is also of the boil but we are getting away with it (bar the cup exit),so maybe we bring in Suso and sign an attacking midfielder,I really hope that deep down JJ believes we are in with a shout and persuades vlad to part with some cash and make this season a memorable one.

Centre half and a striker/midfielder.......i worry we lack quality cover in central defence is we get an injury. As for the other position, maybe midfielder with a creative rep would be a pref over a forward. I think we could get away with the forward situation for the rest of the season. If Skacel isn`t fit we really don`t have a good forward thinking mid.

But what is the winning formula? teamwork, belief and desire for me. Of course you need the players, but we do have quality to make a real fist of things.

My point is, we were a shambles on the playing side for most of the last 4 odd years but could argue we`ve had some quality players in that time. Kingston being one in the midfield were people say we need more quality.

But JJ is harnessing and nurturing the good talent we have. He`s got the lesser lights giving their all until they are gone and on the whole got the squad pulling together as one big happy family. Thats worth its weight in gold.

All in all it`s about getting all the players wanting to be a part of it and JJ has achieved that. That`s the most imporatnt aspect for me at the moment.

The next step is going the whole hog, but we are part the way there.

Listen Debut the hearts squad have done a magnificent job in getting the club where it sits tonight.

If we are all honest enough at the start of the season a top 3/4 was our target but wasn't a shoe in.

As we sit here tonight not getting 3rd would be a "Hibee collapse"

So all I am suggesting is a little bit investment from Vlad and agreeable to JJ may just make the dream come true.

We will not get away with that first half display and weak forward line

Om top of all this, imagine we had got what we deserved in the home games v St. Johnstone, Dundee Utd. and Rangers earlier in the season.. Another 5 to 7 points for us and Rangers 2-3 worse off.

south morocco

Here was me thinking hearts won the game today against a rangers team well up for puttin us in our place

But we don't look like getting anyone in like that this month. There is no creativity in the middle of the park and we saw that again today. We badly lack a Steve Fulton, someone to put their foot on the ball and make some passes, I still think 3rd is the best we can achieve with the current squad. I was more dissappointed about going out the cup. I think 3rd and winning one of the cups would have been a great season considering how bad we've been the past few years.

100% correct

Personally I don't think Hearts will win it, tho I think they should be aiming to win every game & see how close they can get

One thing I noticed today was just how comfortable Rangers were on the ball compared to Hearts...

I could count on 2 hands the number of times Rangers gave away the ball due to a poor pass/mistake. Hearts on the other hand were giving the ball away at every opportunity almost. Passes were going a foot past their intended target causing the recipient to have to stretch out to try and get it. Rangers seemed to get the break of the ball from a lot of challenges, not sure if that was just pure luck or good reading of the game by them?

I think Lee Wallace got caught in possession upfield a number of times... this is maybe due to him still being in the mindset of how he had to play for Hearts the last time he was fit - when he had to do most of the work since we had useless Nade up front contributing nothing. Along with Templeton, he needs to make the pass earlier rather than walking into danger. We got away with that a number of times today and on another day we could easily have lost 2 or 3 as a result.

Today was daylight robbery, we barely deserved a draw so it's superb that we emerged with 3 points having played so poorly. I don't think we can continue with luck like that though. I thought today might have been an even game but the gulf between the 2 clubs was larger than I thought unfortunately.

Listened to the Aberdeen Celtic game this afternoon hoping Aberdeen might do us a favour with Broon in charge now but to no avail. We're going to have to depend on the other SPL teams taking points off the Old Firm but taking it easy against us! :)

Listen Debut the hearts squad have done a magnificent job in getting the club where it sits tonight.

If we are all honest enough at the start of the season a top 3/4 was our target but wasn't a shoe in.

As we sit here tonight not getting 3rd would be a "Hibee collapse"

So all I am suggesting is a little bit investment from Vlad and agreeable to JJ may just make the dream come true.

We will not get away with that first half display and weak forward line

But we did? :ermm: Why is it that some Hearts fans can`t help themselves and there are always negative strains somewhere?

WE, yes, WE won. Doesn`t everyone agree that you can play well and lose? Or play well and win, bad and win, indifferent and win....blah blah blah.....feck sake man.

This thing people say about "lets split the old firm" is a wee bit annoying. I'm sure you've met footballers, or athletes operating at the highest level, and none of them aim for 2nd best! They are all passionate about winning at anything they do, and hate to lose...

I think Hearts current squad can, and should, press for a league win. Would be GREAT if Vlad just stumped up for 1 or 2 more players... just to give us that wee last push of momentum. It would kill the morale Rangers too, who can't sign a cheque at the moment. Good times.

south morocco

Ithought rangers really blew us away 1st half ,but also thought we looked nervous on the ball at times ,2nd 1st 15 mins much the same ,we got better when wee temps went off,changed our shape a bit , we maybe never deserved the win today but i've lost count how many times them and celtic have done us over like that in the last 20 odd years retribution time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

john brownlee

believe

and don't believe the pehss written in the gleski media

on todays showing we are more than good enough

But we did? :ermm: Why is it that some Hearts fans can`t help themselves and there are always negative strains somewhere?

WE, yes, WE won. Doesn`t everyone agree that you can play well and lose? Or play well and win, bad and win, indifferent and win....blah blah blah.....feck sake man.

OK you're avin a pop fair enough :rolleyes:

Winning the league is not about winning a one off cup tie I have said todays result was magnificent.

But I will tell you right now if you BELIEVE that we can win the title we need to start matches much better because we could have been out of it today after 30 mins :thumbsup:

Ithought rangers really blew us away 1st half ,but also thought we looked nervous on the ball at times ,2nd 1st 15 mins much the same ,we got better when wee temps went off,changed our shape a bit , we maybe never deserved the win today but i've lost count how many times them and celtic have done us over like that in the last 20 odd years retribution time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good point mate, how many times have the Old Firm never deserved a win. But got one. How many times have the Old Firm looked like they were heading for a draw, and got a late winner? Loads. I think it's the mark of champions. Picking up wins were draws looked like certainties...

Retribution time indeed!

OK you're avin a pop fair enough :rolleyes:

Winning the league is not about winning a one off cup tie I have said todays result was magnificent.

But I will tell you right now if you BELIEVE that we can win the title we need to start matches much better because we could have been out of it today after 30 mins :thumbsup:

Have the last 10, 11 league games been one offs? I`ve said the overiding factor is keeping your head and continue to battle. You can start games well and fall behind as much as starting bad and falling behind or anyother scenraio you can think of. Hearts start most games pretty well so i don`t have a worry on that front. I would if it was a habit.

Problem Officer?

No what is missing is what I meant to type a right back. Being the genius I am I often have a Freudian. Especially after a glass of wine. :mellow:

:D:P:thumbsup:

WorldChampions1902

Celtic and Rangers are more than beatable whether it home or away, Theres no reason why we cant get 1st :thumbsup: fth

Agreed. And to all the 'realists' saying we were lucky today, you have short memories. Rangers were undeserving winners the last time they visited fortress Tynecastle IMHO. So today's result only evened things up.

Onwards and upwards!!

I'm taking it one game at a time.

Not going to waste my time dreaming or worrying about other club's results.

Im thouroughly enjoying this season, and I'll only start celebrating or moaning in May, when the league finishes. :thumbsup:

Why is it that if a team has more on target they deserve to win?

there's no god given right to win a game just because you have more on goal than the opposition..

what about the keeper? does he not deserve to make those saves?

if a team deserves to be ahead then surely a team deserves to be level if the keeper has done his job?

How many times have the weegiameggia said tings like "you've got to take your chances!".. etc..? well, rangers didnt take their chances. kello done his job as agoalkeeper and kept the ball out.

we scored. therefore we deserved to win. end of.

If the players believe they can win it, we have as good a chance as ever. The OF are in decline, Rangers in melt down and Lennon clueless. They will both lose several more games and if we continue as we're going we can win the league never mind second. Let's be positive for ***ksake.

Archived