How our squad shapes up against the OF

Homme

http://www.heraldsco...ehold-1.1081042?

Another decent article from probably the only paper worth reading these days. The Hearld compares our squad with that of the OF.

What are our thoughts on this? I agree in the most part but i think they are a bit harsh on the midfield. I don't think we are over relying on Templeton and Skacel, as good as they have been.

Anyone who thinks that Madjid Bougherra is "the most accomplished figure in that position (centre half) in the Premier League" needs help.

Anyone who thinks that Madjid Bougherra is "the most accomplished figure in that position (centre half) in the Premier League" needs help.

He's one of them I.J. Up alongside Zal and Weir IMO.

The Rangers fans I know are surprisingly critical of Bougherra this season. I've always thought he was pretty classy but they watch him every week so they are best to judge i suppose.

He's one of them I.J. Up alongside Zal and Weir IMO.

That's not what the fella said though. He's making it sound like Bougherra is some sort of defensive colossus, the likes of which the other teams can't compete with - which is clearly shite. Zaliukas is every bit as good.

That's not what the fella said though. He's making it sound like Bougherra is some sort of defensive colossus, the likes of which the other teams can't compete with - which is clearly shite. Zaliukas is every bit as good.

Yep i'd agree with that.

Bougherra is having a pish poor season by the standards he has set.

Celtic's midfield is better than Hearts ? Pffft !!

McCourt only plays because there is nobody else (he couldn't get a look in last year). Forrest ? That anonymous S Korean bloke ?

I know it's only paper talk but it doesn't half make you laugh.

mahgrassyshoes

Pretty fair report, although i would say that he says we are reliant on Temps and Skacel, he only mentioned 3 players for each OF team and of those on 2 play at either time for them. Also stating Beattie as decent back up at striker seem completely unjustified judging on his performances so far.

Charlie-Brown

Forget the article - the league table is the barometer of how our squad compares to our rivals ..... of course as always this can be distorted by wrong decisions by match officials.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I take it Suso, Wallace and Driver are unquoted because of the amount of time they have spent on the sidelines. :ermm:

Wallace would stroll into Leftback at both halves of the Old Firm IMO.

Suso is a better winger than Maloney IMO

Driver is a better winger than any of the OF players I can think of (off the top of my head, I may be missing someone) other than maybe Vladimir Weiss and depending on what he has left in his legs Freddy Ljungberg - Who both to be fair are excellent.

Best players at the OF for me are...

Bougherra

Weiss

Davis

MacGregor

Whittaker

Hooper

Stokes

Jelavic looked extremely handy before he was crocked.

Ljungberg if he still has pace is a real talent too.

For us...

Skacel

Driver

Wallace

Templeton

Zaliukas

Kyle

Kello

Are the guys who could imagine getting a game in an OF team, during these times of thriftiness for the uglies. I wanted to say Suso but that would have to be on top of his game consistently. For example, would you want to swap Suso for say Maloney? I wouldn't personally.

Biggest fear for me this weekend is probably Weiss, fullbacks will need to concentrate for ninety minutes.

Templeton'sUnderpants

Skacel

Temps

Driver

Wallace

These are the players I would have in a select 11 from the 3 teams. For me that means a fairly equal footing with them and every chance of making a challenge.

I take it Suso, Wallace and Driver are unquoted because of the amount of time they have spent on the sidelines. :ermm:

Wallace would stroll into Leftback at both halves of the Old Firm IMO.

Suso is a better winger than Maloney IMO

Driver is a better winger than any of the OF players I can think of (off the top of my head, I may be missing someone) other than maybe Vladimir Weiss and depending on what he has left in his legs Freddy Ljungberg - Who both to be fair are excellent.

Best players at the OF for me are...

Bougherra

Weiss

Davis

MacGregor

Whittaker

Hooper

Stokes

Jelavic looked extremely handy before he was crocked.

Ljungberg if he still has pace is a real talent too.

For us...

Skacel

Driver

Wallace

Templeton

Zaliukas

Kyle

Kello

Are the guys who could imagine getting a game in an OF team, during these times of thriftiness for the uglies. I wanted to say Suso but that would have to be on top of his game consistently. For example, would you want to swap Suso for say Maloney? I wouldn't personally.

Biggest fear for me this weekend is probably Weiss, fullbacks will need to concentrate for ninety minutes.

Depending on the score at the time, possibly up to 100 minutes.

mahgrassyshoes

Skacel

Temps

Driver

Wallace

These are the players I would have in a select 11 from the 3 teams. For me that means a fairly equal footing with them and every chance of making a challenge.

Who would your centre back pairing be?

Templeton'sUnderpants

Who would your centre back pairing be?

Weir and Bougherra. Zal would be my next choice after these two but I think they edge it in all honesty.

If I had to pick a team out of the OF and us, there would be plenty food for thought. Interesting point from the article is while Celtic's centre-half pairing has looked shaky, they've conceded the least in the league.

McGregor/Kello - too hard to choose

Whitaker

Bougherra

Zaliukas

Wallace

Temps

Davis

Black

Weiss

Miller

Stokes

mahgrassyshoes

Weir and Bougherra. Zal would be my next choice after these two but I think they edge it in all honesty.

No fair play, I'd probably agree for this moment at time, but I doubt Weir will be playing next season so I was wonder really where you saw Zal. Stupidly thought you may have had one of the Celtic Huddies ahead of him!

Templeton'sUnderpants

If I had to pick a team out of the OF and us, there would be plenty food for thought. Interesting point from the article is while Celtic's centre-half pairing has looked shaky, they've conceded the least in the league.

McGregor/Kello - too hard to choose

Whitaker

Bougherra

Zaliukas

Wallace

Temps

Davis

Black

Weiss

Miller

Stokes

Would more or less agree with that, would have a fit Driver in and would proably put Weir ahead of Zal. Also whilst I think the guy is a monumental ****** I feel McGregor would take it comfortably.

Nae mention of all Kellos clean sheets this season in the goalkeepers section, just an observation, not getting at anything sinister.

Also failed to register Suso's contribution and expected to return along with driver, gave Elliot no credit for his goals and play earlier in the season.

In their attacking sense Rangers and Celtic have numbers, but strenght in depth is abit much.

Im hopeful that any signings made will be of the all ready high standard that Neil Lennon has procured so far, and we all ken Walto will be lucky to get his hands on anybody.

Hackney Hearts

Also whilst I think the guy is a monumental ****** I feel McGregor would take it comfortably.

The article says McGregor is the best keeper in the league - yet Kello has far more clean sheets, and I can't remember him making some of the howlers I've seen from AM.

Hackney Hearts

And yet, of the 3 teams, Rangers have leaked the most goals, by some distance. Curious?

Templeton'sUnderpants

And yet, of the 3 teams, Rangers have leaked the most goals, by some distance. Curious?

Absolutelly correct, I would also say that Celtics was the worst, yet they have conceded least? Can I give you a reason why I think this? No I can't, but I do. I would also suspect many would agree with me with equally no justification. They just seem to be the better players, who knows.

I thought it was a fair article TBH.

The most pleasing thing I got from it was there is very little between the first pick teams.

The OF maybe have a bit more depth wise but again maybe not as much as they think.

Don't want to get to complacent here but our strongest team available is well capable of beating Rangers or Celtic's strongest team available at Tynecastle

It's been a long time since thats been the case.

I'd say it was a reasonable article, but no more than that. Midfield creativity, where they say Rangers and Celtic have the edge would appear to me to be our strongest point. Yes we currently rely on Skacel and Templeton a lot, but if you took Davis and Naismith out of the Rangers team they are left with not very much. Celtic as well, where are the creative players without McCourt and Ki? Forrest is alright, but I'll take Andy Driver and Suso over their back up any day.

Up front they are right in that we are definitely 3rd best (though quoting Rangers strength in depth and using Beattie as an example is frankly ludicrous). Celtic defintely have the most strength there. their defence is also under rated in comparison to Rangers, who I think look vulnerable quite often.

McGregor

Whittaker

Bougherra

Zaliukas

Wallace

Davis

Mrowiec

Skacel

Templeton

Hooper

Naismith

Celtic's midfield is better than Hearts ? Pffft !!

McCourt only plays because there is nobody else (he couldn't get a look in last year). Forrest ? That anonymous S Korean bloke ?

I know it's only paper talk but it doesn't half make you laugh.

I know. Total garbage. No praise for the best defensive midfielder in Scotland, Mrowiec.

The OF have the fear factor with them.....other teams drop deeper and deeper against them and in the last few minutes when they need a goal they almost always get it. Thats the differance between us and them. A few times this season St J's Dundee U at Inverness at home we just lacked a spark something was missing that stopped us from getting the goal we deserved. When the OF are in that position they will get the goal more often than us. I dont think we have good enough strikers to win the league, hopefully tho when Driver and suso are back they can pick it up quickly and we will have good options from the bench. But if there is 5 min to go on Sat and we need a goal we can look to the bench for Stevenson Obua or Elliot. They can prob look at Weiss, Jelavic or beattie I dont rate thoses 3 very highly but would rather have them on the Hearts bench.

Skacel

Temps

Driver

Wallace

Considering Driver hasn't kicked a ball all season...

That would make it 3 from the 11. Celtic and Rangers are stronger in my opinion and we need a couple of decent additions this transfer window to compete with them to the end.

http://www.heraldsco...ehold-1.1081042?

Another decent article from probably the only paper worth reading these days. The Hearld compares our squad with that of the OF.

What are our thoughts on this? I agree in the most part but i think they are a bit harsh on the midfield. I don't think we are over relying on Templeton and Skacel, as good as they have been.

Correct

Skacel

Driver

Suso

Temps

Arvy

All are decent with a contribution to make from midfield.

Only 2 warrant a mention for some reason.

jack D and coke

I dont agree although Zal has came on leaps and bounds this last year or so. He's still got room for improvement whereas Bougherra isn't playing particulalry well at the moment. I agree with your other point point, a colossus?? F***** chances :lol:

Archived