Who is the best centre back in the world?

Boomstick

Cardiac Rucksack

Carlos puyol. Lol. Hes a shaggy haired freak.

Best centre half i have seen recently is kompany at city. An exceptional player who will only get better in the future

JamboAberdeen

Pique for me as a defender.

But if you add influence to whole team, it'll be Puyol.

That man teaches you what being captain means.

Johanes de Silentio

Sandy J

Had a soft spot fo Martin Buchan when I was a laddie.

Martin Buchan was a classy player.

It was my privilege to watch Sandy Jardine for Hearts - pure class!

Special mention too for Maldini - how did I forget him?

Put still Puyol! :thumbsup:

Pique is a quality player and i think already as good as Rio but i would have to go for Puyol.. in a Barca team with all the emphisis on attack he has been a rock for a number of years.. not only that but he still looks world class at either full back spot..

Pique and Puyol have the one thing Rio and Vidic will never have.. A world cup winners medal.. actually a European Championship medal probably as well..

Pique and Puyol have the one thing Rio and Vidic will never have.. A world cup winners medal.. actually a European Championship medal probably as well..

Not really relevant though is it?

By that logic Zizis Vryzas (who?) is a better player than George Weah as he won a 2004 Euro Championship medal.

Thing with Puyol, & I posted similar in the Messi thread is thy playing in this machine of a team, he isn't troubled as much. He's class, but i think Vidic & Rio are the best pairing when fit/on form

John Terry at the top of his game is different class!

In my 22 years, I'd go for Maldini

He's not been at his best for a good few seasons.

He maybe was about the best under Mourinho but that seems like a long time ago now.

John Terry at the top of his game is different class!

Terry is nowhere near the same player without Carvalho mopping up his mistakes. He has a really bad tendency of running out of position to make a challenge and leaving space for others. Carvalho would always hang back and tidy up for him. Without Carvalho in the Chelsea defence, you can really see the difference.

Puyol, Pique, Vidic or Carvalho would be my picks.

Templeton'sUnderpants

Vidic, Ferdinand, Puyol and Pique in that order for me.

Though I do think Puyol and Pique together are better than Vidic and Ferdinand together simply because they have had a lot more game time together whereas the Man U pair have seen a lot of injury.

Carvalho

Stats on Chelsea winning / losing with him ther or not are incredible.

Superb player. Although getting on now.

Not such a huge fan of Puyol, can a player that has regularly been shunted out to full back to accomodate Marquez and Pique at Centre Half be the best Ch in the world?

To be honest unlike in years gone by there isn't a Cannavaro or Baresi that stands out!

For what it's worth here are those that I thing are some of the best at the moment

Vidic

Mertesacker

Marquez

Chiellini

Lucio

Juan

Pique

Zanetti

One to watch is Simon Kjaer

We_are_the_Hearts

Lucio was immense all season when Inter won the Champions League. He was the difference between them winning and losing against Barca.

rudi must stay

Suprised more people haven't mentioned Nesta, incredible defender who's won everything. He's still playing as well for a top club.

Archived