Jeez, Rangers..

Gigolo-Aunt

Gigolo-Aunt

Have paid for ALL the tickets for the Sporting Lisbon away game. Are giving them away for nothing to the fans who have followed them in Europe this season.

Cant recall another team doing that.

Fair play.

Great gesture by Rangers FC. Hopefully they'll turn Sporting Lisbon over.

The worst part is towards the end.

They'll be investing "heavily" in players next season.

Great.

Will you be getting a free ticket? :mw_rolleyes:

Gigolo-Aunt
The worst part is towards the end.

They'll be investing "heavily" in players next season.

Great.

Yup. Figures have ALREADY been confirmed behind the scenes of this.

Smith will have been in contact with agents and will be watching players.

Planning for next year while we are playing the waiting game.

Will you be getting a free ticket? :mw_rolleyes:

No, I won't. I don't support Rangers FC. My Yooro adventures are all Chelsea related.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

It's a sad day when you are envious of Rangers but this is what it has come to.

Rabbie_Burns
Have paid for ALL the tickets for the Sporting Lisbon away game. Are giving them away for nothing to the fans who have followed them in Europe this season.

Fair play.

Several foriegn clubs do similar for their supporters to encourage travel away from home in European games, not just subsidesed match tickets but travel packages as well...

chester copperpot

I might apply for a couple.

Then burn them :laugh:

Hope the huns get totally destroyed. Atleast their will now be more animals to shame scotland, well england, with their bigoted crap for the whole time, a few hundred arrests then come home and say it wasn't their fault. total lowlife

He Who Cannot Be Named
Will make a change from the tax payer funding old firm fans trips abroad.

What do you mean by that? That their all on the dole?

The cynic in me suggests that this is just a way to ensure that the usual knuckle-draggers who shame them abroad time and again don't manage to get their grubby paws on tickets for a very high-profile match in a predominantly catholic country (ala Barcelona).

portobellojambo1

Fair play.

The most significant part of the report that appeared on BBC Ceefax was not the news that they have block purchased all tickets for the game in Lisbon G-A to make then available to fans free, it was the end paragraph, the one that states Murray will make plenty money available to heavily invest in new players come the end of this season. I suspect they realise, like most clubs, that success in football, and attached financial income, is derived from success on the park.

The most significant part of the report that appeared on BBC Ceefax was not the news that they have block purchased all tickets for the game in Lisbon G-A to make then available to fans free, it was the end paragraph, the one that states Murray will make plenty money available to heavily invest in new players come the end of this season. I suspect they realise, like most clubs, that success in football, and attached financial income, is derived from success on the park.

Smith has done a great job - similar to the one we now need.

He took a divided squad, got rid of the worst players first. Then he brought in a bunch of hard workers. They are a far more solid side than they have been for years.

I suspect that he will be looking for a couple of defenders - and a couple of players with the sort of spark that Gazza and Laudrup brought to his previous side. If he gets them then Celtic will really be struggling. Of course this is of little importance to us as we have been left so far behind it is frightening.

Charlie-Brown
Smith has done a great job - similar to the one we now need.

He took a divided squad, got rid of the worst players first. Then he brought in a bunch of hard workers. They are a far more solid side than they have been for years.

I suspect that he will be looking for a couple of defenders - and a couple of players with the sort of spark that Gazza and Laudrup brought to his previous side. If he gets them then Celtic will really be struggling. Of course this is of little importance to us as we have been left so far behind it is frightening.

Alex MacDonald & Jim Jeffries managed to build teams that gave the Old Firm a good run for their money with good young players and good decent pro's all signed at relatively low cost - it was teamwork & self belief that helped them to challenge. We would do well to remember these principles that made us strong - generally when we think we have to big spend to challenge is when we run into financial trouble sooner or later. We need hungry players keen to prove themselves not necessarily expensively acquired players.

Rangers & Celtic have never spent particularly efficiently and very few of the best players want to play in the SPL - certainly not the modern equivalents of Gazza & Laudrup.

ToadKiller Dog
What do you mean by that? That their all on the dole?

No i am sure some are on invalidity also:).

I am sure that lots of kids in glasgow will find that daddy has put the play stations in cash converters for a few weeks.

Charlie-Brown
It said in todays paper that smith would get 10 million to spend,so all SPL clubs be warned

Why they could spend it on another Amato, Rosental & Prodan with Erik Bo Anderson thrown in for good measure - Walter signed all them if i remember?

Gigolo-Aunt
Why they could spend it on another Amato, Rosental & Prodan with Erik Bo Anderson thrown in for good measure - Walter signed all them if i remember?

Amato and Prodan were Dick signings.

You do have a point though, Smith spent crazy when he was in Rangers first time round.

His signings have been a lot better this time around. Maybe its because he is in the bargain bin ??

Charlie-Brown
Amato and Prodan were Dick signings.

You do have a point though, Smith spent crazy when he was in Rangers first time round.

His signings have been a lot better this time around. Maybe its because he is in the bargain bin ??

Oh well there was Guivarch & Van Vossen & dozens of other unforgettables that passed through Ibrox in those days - Rangers spent ?112M between 1992 & 2002 whilst they sold ?48M worth - a deficit of ?64M in 10 seasons - sometimes I flick onto Rangers-TV on sentanta and this jeez did they really sign XYZ.....having forgotten all about them.

Gigolo-Aunt
Oh well there was Guivarch & Van Vossen & dozens of other unforgettables that passed through Ibrox in those days - Rangers spent ?112M between 1992 & 2002 whilst they sold ?48M worth - a deficit of ?64M in 10 seasons - sometimes I flick onto Rangers-TV on sentanta and this jeez did they really sign XYZ.....having forgotten all about them.

Oleg Salenko

Perroni

Stenssas

Christianson (GK)

Marcus Gayle

There is a board game waiting to be made with the trivia alone of some of the Rangers signings of the 90's. and early 00's

Smith has been pretty clever in the market this time round.

Identified all the mince who weren't up to standard, shipped them out and bought the best that the SPL had to offer.

Filled the team with Scottish guys, has Ally McCoist and guys like him to keep the morale high and you can just tell that they have an excellent team spirit.

He did buy duds in the past but this time round he's been very shrewd.

Charlie-Brown
Smith has been pretty clever in the market this time round.

Identified all the mince who weren't up to standard, shipped them out and bought the best that the SPL had to offer.

Filled the team with Scottish guys, has Ally McCoist and guys like him to keep the morale high and you can just tell that they have an excellent team spirit.

He did buy duds in the past but this time round he's been very shrewd.

He did the same last time - bought Goram, Brown, Gough, Robertson, McCall, Durie as well as having McCoist & Durrant they had a virtual Scotland team with Hately, T.Steven, Gazza & Laudrup thrown in....but being the best in Scotland wasn't enough for them - they wanted European glory and that is when most of the real gash arrived - agents saw them coming.

He did the same last time - bought Goram, Brown, Gough, Robertson, McCall, Durie as well as having McCoist & Durrant they had a virtual Scotland team with Hately, T.Steven, Gazza & Laudrup thrown in....but being the best in Scotland wasn't enough for them - they wanted European glory and that is when most of the real gash arrived - agents saw them coming.

Fair point.

Suppose the real test will be in the summer when he has the cash to splash.

He has since worked under Sir Alex Ferguson and managed Everton so I would expect him to have learned a lot since his last spell.

The difficulty is attracting real quality to the SPL.

Read a Strachan quote the other day saying that one of the guys at the club was taking a signing target to a game. When they told Strachan what game they were going to, he told the guy to forget it as it would put the target off signing for Sellick.

The Old Firm will never progress past the last 32/16 in the Champions League unless they sign quality players and the quality players go to the EPL.

Gigolo-Aunt

Wonder if Rangers are prepared to spend 7 million on a player like they were before the last transfer window (the Italian forward). Quite a few folk (myelf included) seen it as a publicity stunt.

Will be interesting to see.

Had a good laugh at this OP.

This game has all the makings for a very bad night for the Stickies.

A good chance they will get turned over by a team that are much better than them (obviously) and who happen to play in green & white hoops.

Much better that Rangers can say they did everything they could to have their 'fans' inside the ground and absolve themselves of any blame for any 'stragglers'.

PS Who was it that had Stephane Adam kitted out in a S Lisbon strip in full view of BBC cameras in their '98 training camp.:)

Gigolo-Aunt

A good chance they will get turned over by a team that are much better than them (obviously) and who happen to play in green & white hoops.

Much better that Rangers can say they did everything they could to have their 'fans' inside the ground and absolve themselves of any blame for any 'stragglers'.

PS Who was it that had Stephane Adam kitted out in a S Lisbon strip in full view of BBC cameras in their '98 training camp.:)

I thought Bremen were a far better side than Rangers in the last leg. Rangers managed to capatalise on a few keeper horrors in the first leg and defended for their lives in the second.

Would not rule an average Rangers side with great team spirit making it past this round as well.

Nice gesture. Looks like they're also freezing season ticket prices and reducing ST prices for kids.

League Cup winners. Still in Scottish Cup. Still in Europe. Likely to win SPL.

Prices frozen for next year.

Out the league cup. Out the Scottish Cup. Not in Europe. Most likely not to even finish in the top 6 of the SPL whilst playing some of the worst football seen in recent history.

Prices hiked up for next year.

You really have to wonder.

A wonderful gesture by Rangers. Heres hoping they give those hoops a real going over and make the semi finals. :)

Charlie-Brown
A wonderful gesture by Rangers. Heres hoping they give those hoops a real going over and make the semi finals. :)

**** the hun slags - this is a Hearts forum. :)

It said in todays paper that smith would get 10 million to spend,so all SPL clubs be warned

I'm pretty sure Hearts won't have anything to worry about, based on our recent form.

portobellojambo1
I'm pretty sure Hearts won't have anything to worry about, based on our recent form.

Romanov has a plan to release similar funds into the hands of a new manager, having realised the error of his ways. Apparently he has admitted he was looking at the wrong websites, and the translate facility on Google didn't help, and has had a change of mind. A plan has been put in place to secure a manager by 2100 (the year, not 9 pm this evening), and give him some cash, until such time we will have to learn to live within our means, accept the players we have, the performance levels we are witnessing and stop complaining. Winning the league is not everything, gaining entry into the Champions League is not everything, being successful on the park is not everything, these are merely the ways the traditionally successful clubs have discovered that they can make money, but none of it benefits UBIG. As part of our "very flexible 5 year plan" we are going to revolutionise football, as only those from a communist background could possibly envisage, the way to future success is through sh y te players, hotels and office blocks, and anyone that cannot see that is going to be left behind.

shaun.lawson

No it doesn't. Sporting are crap: this is their worst side in many years, and they're not even in the top 3 in the Portugese league. The locals in Lisbon couldn't believe their luck when Gary Megson played a second string side in the last round: in truth, they were vulnerable even against Bolton. I think both Werder Bremen and Panathinaikos are stronger teams than Sporting, that it was as good a draw as Rangers could've asked, and that they'll get through: indeed, this looks more and more like Rangers' 'Seville season'.

No it doesn't. Sporting are crap: this is their worst side in many years, and they're not even in the top 3 in the Portugese league. The locals in Lisbon couldn't believe their luck when Gary Megson played a second string side in the last round: in truth, they were vulnerable even against Bolton. I think both Werder Bremen and Panathinaikos are stronger teams than Sporting, that it was as good a draw as Rangers could've asked, and that they'll get through: indeed, this looks more and more like Rangers' 'Seville season'.

Be excellent seeing a British side representing us all in Manchester in May. :)

jambostuart

Well done Rangers. Good move by the club. Really shows the gulf on and off the pitch between them and us.

Spot on. Rangers should go through, no problem.

I can't see Rangers making it to the final though.

shaun.lawson

Except that now, there just isn't the market for the OF to spend anything near as much as back then. There's an interesting section in The Advocaat Years, a book on Rangers' crazy attempts to not just gatecrash the elite but actually win the Champions League around the turn of the decade, in which John McClelland acknowledges that such a goal is plainly no longer feasible, and that Rangers' aim is merely to dine at the top table, ie. reach the CL last 16. For three seasons in a row now, the OF have proved that this is very possible, and that's what this extra money will no doubt be designed to bring about.

So we don't have Rangers or Celtic throwing around the kind of crazy money they did in the late 90s - but because of the way football's changed, we do have a scenario in which either or both have every chance of recouping their investment via the CL anyway. I do wonder about how deep into debt Rangers may be going again, and whether Murray has totally learned the lessons of what happened - but this kind of expenditure isn't on the same planet as that of a few years back, and in any case, gambling last summer in order to get back into contention has worked a treat for them.

One other thing. Even if they spend another ?10m, it certainly doesn't follow that they'll just move further away from everyone else. There was a lot of talk on here during the summer that Celtic's signings meant they'd sewn up the SPL before a ball was kicked: yet look how it's turned out. Actually, I think Rangers have been specifically driven this season by the desperate desire for respectability, and to haul Celtic back - but I doubt they'll have such hunger again next season, domestically at least. So just as I tipped Rangers to win the league this season, it's more than likely I'll back Celtic to win it next season: especially if Moyes replaces Strachan, as I believe he may very well do.

Be excellent seeing a British side representing us all in Manchester in May. :)

It won't be great seeing their neanderthal supporters going down there and shaming us all though.

It won't be great seeing their neanderthal supporters going down there and shaming us all though.

Where have the Rangers support shamed anybody abroad this season? :confused:

Where have the Rangers support shamed anybody abroad this season? :confused:

Barcelona for starters.

Unless you consider the main Barcelona paper's next day headline of "Don't come back" to be no more than tongue in cheek.

Barcelona for starters.

Unless you consider the main Barcelona paper's next day headline of "Don't come back" to be no more than tongue in cheek.

The Rangers fans were set up. Thousands over there, they put up beer tents etc with no toilet facilities. What they meant to do? :mw_rolleyes::P

The Rangers fans were set up. Thousands over there, they put up beer tents etc with no toilet facilities. What they meant to do? :mw_rolleyes::P

Set up by who ?

Set up by who ?

The Barcelona council or whoever it was set up beer tents etc with no toilet facilities. What you meant to do when you have to go? ;)

The Barcelona council or whoever it was set up beer tents etc with no toilet facilities. What you meant to do when you have to go? ;)

Here's the editorial http://leftback.info/2007/11/15/more-on-those-rangers-fans-in-barcelona/

Seems that pishing on War Memorials was the least of the objections on the Barcelona public's mind.

Total filthbags.

Archived