Kenny Miller (wages)

Say What Again

Say What Again

If there's truth in today's story in the Daily Record, then it simply reinforces the fact that money in football worldwide has gone mad. Granted, most of us knew this, but some seem to think it's limited to just the English Premier League.

?50,000 per week tax free for Kenny Miller? That's as ridiculous as it is obscene.

Daily Record

If more proof was needed to show this isn't exclusive to the EPL (though collectively they probably are the worst offenders - Wayne Bridge as someone mentioned here the other day!), the Telegraph reckons Real Madrid will pay up to ?50 million for Carlos Tevez. I assume they'll at least match his reported ?250,000 a week wages too.

Telegraph

If there's truth in today's story in the Daily Record, then it simply reinforces the fact that money in football worldwide has gone mad. Granted, most of us knew this, but some seem to think it's limited to just the English Premier League.

?50,000 per week tax free for Kenny Miller? That's as ridiculous as it is obscene.

Daily Record

If more proof was needed to show this isn't exclusive to the EPL (though collectively they probably are the worst offenders - Wayne Bridge as someone mentioned here the other day!), the Telegraph reckons Real Madrid will pay up to ?50 million for Carlos Tevez. I assume they'll at least match his reported ?250,000 a week wages too.

Telegraph

I think we can all safely say that this is one thread that there will be no arguing on.

Snake Plissken

You can't really blame the players, if club x offers obsecene wages they'll take it. There needs to be some kind of regulation to stop this but could you really trust FIFA to do anything?

It just means the big clubs will be locked in a ridiculous arms race in which smaller clubs have no chance of ever competing.

It is fairly disgusting that, quite frankly, a half decent SPL striker, who didn't exactly set the heather alight when he played down south, can possibly be classed as worthy of that sort of wages.

I'm not surprised he accepted, you'd be a fool not to with that sort of money.

it's really not that many years ago that ?50,000 per week was what the world elite players were getting.

absolutely bananas for a player like miller to be getting that. god only knows where the money comes from in turkish football.

The other thing that will sway it for Miller is that he won't need to use sunbeds in Turkey.

loveofthegame

Disgusting amount of money. I couldn't see why he'd ever want to move to Turkey but ast ?50k a week tax free how could he say no.

He only has to stay for a year and he'll make over ?2.5M!!! Sets him up nicely for life (and hes probably already comfortable).

50k a week is nothing in todays football market really.

You do realise ?50k tax free is like Miller being on close to ?100K a week.

I remember when Roy Keane was the first ?50k a week player and to be fair he 'deserved' it (in footballing terms).

The People's Chimp

It's crazy. Bursaspor are a much smaller club than the huns, yet they're offering the equivalent of 100k a week for a 31 year old who, although good, has never quite made it on a higher stage. That is insane. Where is the money coming from?

I spoke to some Turkish people about Michael Stewart going to Gencerbigli and apparently they're owned by some dodgy millionaire, so you can see where the cash is coming from, but to anyone these wages, if true, for miller are obscene.

You can't blame him, obviously, for taking that kind of money.

Drylaw Hearts

more importantly he will be out for saturday!

I'd be surprised if Rangers didn't sign a replacement in time for Saturday.

I recall a spell under Souness and Smith that they seemed to always buy a player just before playing Hearts.

Victor Meldrew

I recall a spell under Souness and Smith that they seemed to always buy a player just before playing Hearts.

But they had money back then. Lloyds TSB are the ones who will benefit from this sale, not Rangers.

Drylaw Hearts

But they had money back then. Lloyds TSB are the ones who will benefit from this sale, not Rangers.

Smith has been told he can use whatever wages he frees up on new players.

That's what we said when they had to let Boyd go. Then Jelavic popped up! whistling.gif

I think the replacement that was supposed to have been signed has now got serious criminal charges hanging over him so i doubt there will be a signing before the game on Saturday. The Huns are also looking at Bradley wright-phillips but he has a dodgy knee.

To be fair it's not that bad in relation to the top players ie the aforementioned Tevez, 50k per week is 20% of what the very top are earning! When he moved to Derby if he picked up 10k per week then it was probably around the % wise compared to the top players!

personally think that 50k per week is not to bad for an experienced international striker that has 22 goals already this season, especially if the transfer fee is nominal!

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Smith has been told he can use whatever wages he frees up on new players.

Fair enough, but are they going to get someone as good as Miller for no transfer fee? Dubious.

Hats off to the guy. Winning a move to the champiosn of Turkey and on that kind of money.

It is good to see Scottish players trying their luck abroad. :thumbsup:

RoussetsShorts

Just wait till he puts in a couple of stinking performances - he'll look at his bank and there'll be no wages those weeks. Turkish clubs are notorious for this, contract aint worth the paper its written on.

Archived