A fascinating piece of History - Hand Wriiten Team sheet from 1948

Hearts Heritage

Hearts Heritage

Team Sheet

Has both 1st and 'A' teams.

The arrival instructions are fascinating.

And look at the names on the teams.

and they beat Rangers 2-0.

davemclaren

I can just see the current management team and squad standing on Platform 4 at Haymarket waiting to board a train... :mw_rolleyes:

Hearts Heritage
I can just see the current management team and squad standing on Plartform 4 at Haymarket waiting to board a train... :mw_rolleyes:

They should be waiting on a train to Carstairs....

WorldChampions1902
Was the fax machine around in 1948? (someone had to:rolleyes:)

Never let 'Fax' get in the way of a good story............... :mw_rolleyes:

Doctor FinnBarr

How the hell can you read the names on the team sheet? Looks like its been written by a Pole!:107years:

Carl Weathers

What formation was that?

A goalkeeper

2 Full backs,

3 centre backs,

5 midfielders.

Were the outside left/right and centre players the attackers?

What formation was that?

A goalkeeper

2 Full backs,

3 centre backs,

5 midfielders.

Were the outside left/right and centre players the attackers?

What used to be called a 2-3-5 formation. Inside, and outside were forwards and centre was centre forward.

Wonder if anyone has that beermat Willie Ormond scribbled a team on during his reign as manager. ;-)

gowestjambo
Was the fax machine around in 1948? (someone had to:rolleyes:)

Fax machine was actually invented in 1842, by a Scotsman - Alexander Bain!

ronnie_fife

My great great uncle, Dave McLean is the manager. Think he won a league cup with East Fife too.

My Grandad used to say it was because of Dave McLean, Tommy Walker had such a great team (without taking anything away from Walker).

Carl Weathers
What used to be called a 2-3-5 formation. Inside, and outside were forwards and centre was centre forward.

Thanks!

the general

the late John Kerr has/had a good collection of things like this,one time we were through at Christies in Glasgow for one of their special football auctions but Scottish Museums were buying up a lot of the juicy stuff so John ended up with a shoebox full of an ex players momentos .. mostly it was old club ties and pin badges(original un tampered with crests )

also included was the players itinary for a tour of Australia - it was really facinating - coach to tran station,train to Southampton then a ship to Oz taking over a week ( if memory serves) just to get there.there were menus etc too

I really hope this kind of stuff ends up in any museum in the new stand

Francis Albert
My Grandad used to say it was because of Dave McLean, Tommy Walker had such a great team (without taking anything away from Walker).

Your Grandad was right. As one example this (1948) was the first year Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh played together - all Davie McLean's men.

Amazing incidentally that you could set off by bus from Tynecastle then at 12.30 and be sure of reporting at Ibrox by 2.15.

Hearts Heritage

also included was the players itinerary for a tour of Australia - it was really fascinating - coach to train station,train to Southampton then a ship to Oz taking over a week ( if memory serves) just to get there.there were menus etc too

I really hope this kind of stuff ends up in any museum in the new stand

Speaking to Gordon Marshall they flew most of the journey to Australia but that took about 5 or 6 days. Boat would have been far longer. Possibly the tour to South Africa by boat?

Hearts Heritage
Your Grandad was right. As one example this (1948) was the first year Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh played together - all Davie McLean's men. ....

However it may have had a certain amount of luck as well. Hearts had a very poor start to 48-49 with only wins against 3LRV and QOS.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/sea/1948-49.html#Results

including a 4-0 loss to the said East Fife side

1948091802.jpg

that meant the introduction of 'The experimental forward line-up'

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19481009.html#team

1948100903.jpg

the general
Speaking to Gordon Marshall they flew most of the journey to Australia but that took about 5 or 6 days. Boat would have been far longer. Possibly the tour to South Africa by boat?

it may well have been - I only really looked at it that one time - sorry if slightly duff info

Archived