Terry Butcher (Merged topics)

Deek

Absolutely slating the 10 team SPL proposal just now on the Radio Scotland. Claiming they are being bullied by the SPL and some other teams!!!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:thumbsup:

A top rant and right on the money, especially the part about the financial impact this will have on areas like Inverness.

ToadKiller Dog

Butcher getting stuck into the spl 10 team plan calling it a return to the dinosaur age , Saying his club is getting bullied for there strong stance against the changes by the SPL and other weak clubs who are just falling in line with the old firm .

Well worth hearing if the beeb put it up talks a lot of sense in his amazing rant .

Mr God Awful Ugly

Absolutely slating the 10 team SPL proposal just now on the Radio Scotland. Claiming they are being bullied by the SPL and some other teams!!!

good on him, and with some passion

Talking a lot of sense on Radio Scotland.

The guy's just nailed the situation. Describing the 10 team league as dinosaur like. Well said Terry. :thumbsup:

WOW very heated, great points though bout financials and personal cost to a club thru relegation. too much greed from SPL Chairmen. well said telling SFA and OF to get tae!

RoussetsShorts

he also said if he had a bottle of red wine he'd break it over somebody's head and by inference he meant the ref, ha ha, lad.

Heard it as well. very angry man. :ninja:

Who do you think was getting the wine bottle over the head? :woot:

Have to add that I agreed with every word of it. :thumbsup:

bigsuperslim1874

Crikey - he was furious! His comment with what he wanted to do with the wine bottle will probably land him in hot water somehow with the SFA....

Asked if we have a glass of red wine (Assuming with Waldo after the game), he said if I did "I am likely to smash the bottle over somebody's head"

Carl Fredrickson

I like Terry Butcher. Tends to talk a bit of sense and done well at Well and ICT (I wont mention Sunderland, Coventry, Australia...)

Butcher not afraid to tell it like it is. I hope his chairman (and others) show enough backbone not to switch to a ten team league.

Epic rant from Butcher, a man with the haw maws to speak his mind and say what need's to be said.

Effing lad!!!

:thumbsup:

Nelly Terraces

Rangers legend, not scared to upset OF fans with frank and honest words. :thumbsup:

Absolutley. Fair play to him, well said TB, top man.

certainly gave it the full welly.

no wonder. scottish football administration is so deeply ****ed up it can't even consult clubs properly, let alone the fans.

a basic thing like talking to and listening to the clubs... not capable of even that.

spot on big Terry...

Where are the rest of the managers and WhyTF are the fans being ignored again?

Sick to the back teeth so I am.

OF tying up the league between them for the next decade, maybe to try and help their move elsewhere?

To many owners looking to make as much cash as poss. I SO wish fans would vote with there feet, after all look at our season tickets, 10,000 @ average ?400 Do we get that much from TV rights?????

Fek Fek Fek Fek Fek....

Sorry about that rant..What a great night of football....lol

Well said Terry, totally agree! Great to hear him blaming a lot on the Old Squirm especially given his previous connection.

stirlingshirejambo

Talking a lot of sense on Radio Scotland.

excellent from Terry Butcher a man who cares about his club his fans and his comunity

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Absolutley. Fair play to him, well said TB, top man.

Had a fair amount of respect for him beforehand but that has been multiplied by a fair old whack. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately we are one of the feeble clubs who ended up voting for it

Incorrect, Hearts voted against but agreed to further discussion on the 10 team format.

Fozzyonthefence

Personally I'd rather have the 10 team league than what we have now. I can't understand everybody getting their knickers in a twist over this & threatening not to go to games because of it - it's laughable, calm down dears! Everybody moaning about playing teams 4 times when we already have this (well either 3 or 4) but potentially at the momeent it's worse because of the split and we could actually have the delight of 3 home (or 3 away - take your pick)games against the likes of the mighty Hamilton, or ICT or St Mirren (not this season admittedly as I think we're safe for the top 3 never mind the top 6).

Oh, and the 10 team league also guarantees us 4 derby games (which we won't get this season) - now wouldn't everyone rather have 4, not 3 derby games (especially with how pish Hibs are?

Maybe there is more merit for the 14 team league I don't know - but the only options appear to have been the status quo or back to 10 teams, so the better and fairer option won.

pettigrewsstylist

a 10 team league failed before

why go there again

c'mon now,,,not yet we havn't sorry wrong person...apologies

Well said Terry, totally agree! Great to hear him blaming a lot on the Old Squirm especially given his previous connection.

I would like to listen to this. Is there any way that I could listen to it, me being abroad. Please.

ToadKiller Dog

Unfortunately we are one of the feeble clubs who ended up voting for it

No vote has been taken yet for 10 team top league, ICT,Hearts and Kille put forward the 14 team league which was voted down .

Rudi Hates Hibees

I missed the interview hopefully it'll be up on-line somewhere later on. Do the BBC normally put it up on their iplayer?

Personally I'd rather have the 10 team league than what we have now. I can't understand everybody getting their knickers in a twist over this & threatening not to go to games because of it - it's laughable, calm down dears! Everybody moaning about playing teams 4 times when we already have this (well either 3 or 4) but potentially at the momeent it's worse because of the split and we could actually have the delight of 3 home (or 3 away - take your pick)games against the likes of the mighty Hamilton, or ICT or St Mirren (not this season admittedly as I think we're safe for the top 3 never mind the top 6).

Oh, and the 10 team league also guarantees us 4 derby games (which we won't get this season) - now wouldn't everyone rather have 4, not 3 derby games (especially with how pish Hibs are?

Maybe there is more merit for the 14 team league I don't know - but the only options appear to have been the status quo or back to 10 teams, so the better and fairer option won.

Sorry, but you have just ripped people for not wanting the ten team league then admit you dont know if the 14 team option is better????????

Had a fair amount of respect for him beforehand but that has been multiplied by a fair old whack. :thumbsup:

Likewise, good to hear honesty like that.

Fozzyonthefence

a 10 team league failed before

why go there again

I don't really think you can say that - there were periods when it was very succesful (the 80's & some of the 90's), not only in terms of a competitive league but also when our teams were arguably at their strongest in Europe.

Out of interest, what do you favour? Are you one of those who advocate a return to the (failed) 18 team league? Or 14 teams (at least that one has not been tried).

At the end of the day, the product is pish and no league set up is going to even paper over the cracks.

Fozzyonthefence

Sorry, but you have just ripped people for not wanting the ten team league then admit you dont know if the 14 team option is better????????

Read my post properly - I said out of the only 2 options that were on the table.

Also, the 14 team league will have it's faults - we will still be playing teams 4 times, if that turns you off but if you fancy the 4 derbies, again this season that wouldn't happen and we would only get 3 (2 at Fester & 1 at Tynie).

There i sno quick fix to the crap product we hae, I am just saying that the 10 is, without doubt, better than the 12 we currently have - a complete no brainer. In fact, the chairman who voted the last change through should all be strung up.

excellent from Terry Butcher a man who cares about his club his fans and his comunity

This.

It's a crying shame that he appears to be the only one who has spoken publically in the whole league structure debate who has his priorities spot on.

Well done Terry Butcher.

Read my post properly - I said out of the only 2 options that were on the table.

People are peeved as they were in favour of an expanded league. The clowns that are the rest of the SPL, have bullied through the idea that we can only choose from 10 teams or the status quo. You seem happy with this, yet admit you have no clue if the 14 team set up would have been better.

To start your post ripping folk for being annoyed about it would indicte you're happy about it?

Charlie-Brown

Also, the 14 team league will have it's faults - we will still be playing teams 4 times, if that turns you off but if you fancy the 4 derbies, again this season that wouldn't happen and we would only get 3 (2 at Fester & 1 at Tynie).

There i sno quick fix to the crap product we hae, I am just saying that the 10 is, without doubt, better than the 12 we currently have - a complete no brainer. In fact, the chairman who voted the last change through should all be strung up.

The people who gave us the current shabby set up are on the whole the same people and power brokers giving us the proposed shabby set up. Regardless of whether it's Lex Gold & Rodger Mitchell or Ralph Topping & Neil Doncaster who are their lap dogs doesn't really matter - none of them are fit to run a bath in my opinion. None of them have put forward publicly support for any of the following;

1. A more equal share of SPL revenues from TV & Sponsorship & Prize money

2. An expanded top league to ensure a wider distribution of wealth and fewer repetitive fixtures

3. revenue sharing either through shared gate receipts or centralised ticketing for SPL games

4. capping salaries or clubs team budgets either as a % of revenues or at a fixed ??? amount.

5. pro-active youth development policies ie reserve league - voluntarily including a % of Scottish players & young players in match squads

6. more attractive ticket pricing options - plus re-introducing standing areas to provide fans choice.

These are just some examples but they are beyond the likes of Donkeycaster or Topov.

Fozzyonthefence

People are peeved as they were in favour of an expanded league. The clowns that are the rest of the SPL, have bullied through the idea that we can only choose from 10 teams or the status quo. You seem happy with this, yet admit you have no clue if the 14 team set up would have been better.

To start your post ripping folk for being annoyed about it would indicte you're happy about it?

I'm not overly happy about it but happier with it than what we have now. I'm assuming people aren't pissed off with that, but more because they wanted 18 (which would be a disaster in current times) or 14, with 16 I think probably unworkable. But the reaction of some of the drama queens on here has been laughable - you'd think the clubs were just about to vote for something that is worse rather than something that it is a little bit better. And anybody that defends the current set up is frankly thick.

As for bullying, wasn't the 14 team set up suggested / discussed but rejected because the majority want 10? Also, I don't really understand the mass hysteria about the OF's involvement in this _ I don't really understand what they stand to gain out of these changes?

The rage coming from Butcher was real. The great thing about it in my opinion is he has let the cat out of the bag. He will have discussions with his chairman and his rant will be as a result of what his chairman has told him was said in yesterdays meeting. The old firm dig is the biggest one for me as the real reason for this set up is coming out. The rubbish spouted by Doncaster about more money for the 12 teams in spl2 is shown up as a load of pish.

Butcher has openly said, they have been given no figures on expected income and nothing has been said, to them, that makes them want to go along this route. His comments about the impact of relegation are in my opinion the reason Inverness are against this idea, as they know the imapact and can see through Docaster and the old firms bullshit promises.

Archived