Kevan Phillips to Celtic

colinmaroon

He's 37 and has scored about half a dozen goals in the last 2 seasons.

Obviously they want a forward similar to James Beattie at Rangers.

As a goal scorer, there is no comparison between Phillips and Beattie!

In the SPL, KP will score goals.

I would take him in a heartbeat.

When are Celtic going to actually invest some money in the future rather than spending big bucks on has-beens/never weres?

Short term gain at best (and i'm not oonvinced they will even get that).

All this spending on players who they cannot possibly get any return on is going to catch up on them very soon, add that to plummeting crowds and Celtic could find themselves in a bit of bother in a year or two.

mahgrassyshoes

When are Celtic going to actually invest some money in the future rather than spending big bucks on has-beens/never weres?

All this spending on players who they cannot possibly get any return on is going to catch up on them very soon, add that to plummeting crowds and Celtic could find themselves in a bit of bother in a year or two.

With any luck...!

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Hopefully there isn't another Fergus McCann out there this time!

The ONLY thought in this is to hope his goals win them the league so they have a shot at the ?10 million pot from the CL. They couldn't give a feck after that. They will then throw daft money at some other mercenary

It seems to be the smeltic way now

Carl Fredrickson

KP is one of the best natural finishers I have ever seen. Even at 37 he still has the talent but I doubt he will last 90 minutes. If celtic can have others doing a lot of his running, KP could be a great short term signing for them.

tartofmidlothian

This. Clearly hoping he'll sell a few more shirts, hopefully 'Philips' ones to go with 'Lungberg'.

It's very ignorant to say just because someone is 37 they are finished. His ratio at Birmingham is almost 1 in 3 which is pretty amazing considering he usually only comes on with 5 minutes to go. He tends not to rely on pace too much either he's always been about movement taking his chances so think he would still score a few up here.

According to wikipedia, Phillips has 251 goals in 549 games while Beattie has 134 in 442 games.

He was on Sky Sports earlier saying he was keeping his options open. Wants to play more football at Birmingham.

Top striker in his day and I would think he could do a job at the Tic for a few months - just seems another short term short vision deal though.

As a short term move its a good one. If celtic win the league and KP has scored a dozen goals then its a great one.

I'd like some short term gain. I'd like to see us win the title.

I'd like some short term gain. I'd like to see us win the title.

they can afford the gamble, we cant.

The only time Philips was truly effective was when paired with Big Niall Quinn. Celtic don't have a centre forward like that so I'm not bothered. Hearts do, but hell what kind of wages would Philips want.

Are there not some tasty rumours about his wife from his Sunderland days? Snarf

Creepy Lurker

The 'marquee signings' are becoming more and more underwhelming, aren't they?

Phillips was a very good - but not great - player in his day, but do they really think that he's going to put bums on seats at 37? My word.

The only time Philips was truly effective was when paired with Big Niall Quinn. Celtic don't have a centre forward like that so I'm not bothered. Hearts do, but hell what kind of wages would Philips want.

Are there not some tasty rumours about his wife from his Sunderland days? Snarf

I have to disagree with this. I had to look it up (wiki, granted) but I was sure he had a very good record at a few clubs.

113 in 208 at sunderland

22 in 64 at Saints

38 in 71 at Brom and

18 in 60 at Brum

Yes some of these were championship but many of his goals were for lower end Prem clubs. I put him in fowler/Solksjaer category type of player and I thin had he played for the likes of United that goal record would have been incredibe.

Agreed about wages etc though, its not a financially rewarding signing but he certainly would be an effective player. Hes kept himself in shape, unlike Beattie and would eat up goals in and around the box in out league.

they can afford the gamble, we cant.

Remembering they haven't won he league for a couple of seasons and, therefore, no CL revenue, it just illustrates the vast difference between the Uglies and the rest of us financially speaking.

The only reason that Rangers aren't doing the same is because they aren't owned by the man who controls the group who own the bank who holds the debt!

I have to disagree with this. I had to look it up (wiki, granted) but I was sure he had a very good record at a few clubs.

113 in 208 at sunderland

22 in 64 at Saints

38 in 71 at Brom and

18 in 60 at Brum

Yes some of these were championship but many of his goals were for lower end Prem clubs. I put him in fowler/Solksjaer category type of player and I thin had he played for the likes of United that goal record would have been incredibe.

Agreed about wages etc though, its not a financially rewarding signing but he certainly would be an effective player. Hes kept himself in shape, unlike Beattie and would eat up goals in and around the box in out league.

You missed the crux of the post - he needs a big CF to be truly effective. Pretty sure he had them whereever he has scored goals and Celtic don't have one. ANd yes a lot of those are Championship goals not EPL.

This last bit, definitely. I'd actually accept a marginal short term gain for C*lt!c if it costs them as much as I think he would. If he signs, he will score goals for them, four? Five?

Neil Lennon lines up strike targets

Ronnie Cully

17 Jan 2011

Celtic expect to have secured a new striker by next week after casting their net across England and beyond.

Everton?s James Vaughan, Swindon?s Charlie Austin, Birmingham?s Kevin Philips and Bulgarian hitman Dimitar Makriev, who currently plays for Israeli side Ashdod, have all been linked with the Parkhead club.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/neil-lennon-lines-up-strike-targets-1.1080330

Creepy Lurker

How many times have we been told that a player 'would score goals for fun at this level', only for it to be shown not to be the case?

Phillips was a decent player at his peak, who for a few seasons was one of the best goalscorers in the Premiership, but he was never a superstar and is now 37. Some people are in awe of the Premiership to an unreasonable extent.

How many times have we been told that a player 'would score goals for fun at this level', only for it to be shown not to be the case?

Phillips was a decent player at his peak, who for a few seasons was one of the best goalscorers in the Premiership, but he was never a superstar and is now 37. Some people are in awe of the Premiership to an unreasonable extent.

Many people watched a dreadlocked huddie make his debut vs the Hubs and said 'That Larsson will never make it... Waste of money'

you just never know... That said, I'm sure Celtic could spend that money more wisely.

It's very ignorant to say just because someone is 37 they are finished. His ratio at Birmingham is almost 1 in 3 which is pretty amazing considering he usually only comes on with 5 minutes to go. He tends not to rely on pace too much either he's always been about movement taking his chances so think he would still score a few up here.

According to wikipedia, Phillips has 251 goals in 549 games while Beattie has 134 in 442 games.

Funny, I thought that earlier in the thread.....

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/77492-beatie-and-bellamy/page__p__1776556__hl__%22james+beattie%22__fromsearch__1#entry1776556

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/77503-so-der-hun-sign/page__p__1776881__hl__%22james+beattie%22__fromsearch__1#entry1776881

:whistling:

rudi must stay

I do.

Always good to see celtic spending stupid money on players that are finished.

movement wise possibly, but not as a goalscorer IMO. And with the amount of chances they create, on paper anyway, he'd be a very good signing..

Creepy Lurker

Many people watched a dreadlocked huddie make his debut vs the Hubs and said 'That Larsson will never make it... Waste of money'

you just never know... That said, I'm sure Celtic could spend that money more wisely.

What point are you trying to make here?

This is exactly the opposite situation.

Archived