Sportsmanship amongst fans

londonjambo

Finally got round to reading the programme for the 2010 Champions League final this morning and it had a few paragraphs about Real Madrid fans applauding Ronaldinho playing for Barca at the Bernabeu when he displayed a truly breathtaking piece of skill.

Got me thinking

Have you ever applauded a piece of skill by an opposition player playing against Hearts ?

If (and this is where the realms of fantasy take over) a Hibs player in a game against Hearts player did something so skilful that it left your jaw dropped, would you ... could you applaud ?

I guess it might depend on whether the skill led to a goal or whether we were already 5-0 up at the time so some qualification of your answer might be needed

I'm expecting a huge percentage of highly predictable hilarious answers but some well thought out answers might also be interesting

GC

I wasn't at the game but didn't Andy Goram get a standing ovation after he kept the score well down one derby?

I wasn't at the game but didn't Andy Goram get a standing ovation after he kept the score well down one derby?

yip

Finally got round to reading the programme for the 2010 Champions League final this morning and it had a few paragraphs about Real Madrid fans applauding Ronaldinho playing for Barca at the Bernabeu when he displayed a truly breathtaking piece of skill.

Got me thinking

Have you ever applauded a piece of skill by an opposition player playing against Hearts ?

If (and this is where the realms of fantasy take over) a Hibs player in a game against Hearts player did something so skilful that it left your jaw dropped, would you ... could you applaud ?

I guess it might depend on whether the skill led to a goal or whether we were already 5-0 up at the time so some qualification of your answer might be needed

I'm expecting a huge percentage of highly predictable hilarious answers but some well thought out answers might also be interesting

GC

once,wee mcallister when he scored against us at ibrox in the cup semi.he scored a cracker and tore gary naesmith apart that afternoon but we won so who cares! :thumbsup:

I stood up and applauded Laudrup scoring against us one day. He took out two defenders with what he made look like a simple shift of balance and then curled his shot into the far corner of the goal from the Wheatfield side corner of the box. Made it look effortless but in truth was nothing short of fantastic. A large number of people around me were also on their feet.

I'm sure someone can help fill in the names of the Hearts defenders and the Keeper and perhaps even the score (I'm pretty sure we lost that game by a few goals) but you just couldn't get away from the fact that we were watching Brilliance..!!

Got me thinking

GC

Many times.The Goram one is one of the best rememberedand should be as he was,frankly,brilliant that day.There have been some amazing goals scored against the Hearts and i've applauded a few of them.Us well-balanced chaps do these things!dry.gif

Did Larsson get a round of applause in one of his last games for Celtic?

Didn't like the dirty diver getting a round of applause :angry:

Templeton'sUnderpants

I gave Nish a round of applause when he came on in the new years day derby, I'm not sure if that counts...

Got me thinking

GC

I don't remember ever applauding any piece of skill shown by the opposition though I may have made an appreciative comment about a save. I remember my granny suggesting to my dad and I that fans should applaud all goals and he looked at her genuinely nonplussed. We can see a good example on JKB just now of sportmanship at Tannadice in 1986 when Robertson's first goal was applaued by some Dundee United fans behind the goal.

I don't think I could ever applaud, no, certainly not a Hibs player, even if 5-0 up. I rely too much on partisanship to keep me interested in football.

Yep, Albert Riera goal for Bordeaux at Tynecasle.

Very good shout, i appladed aswell.

Absolutely outrageous strike of the ball.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Frank McDougall when he played for Aberdeen at Tynie in the eighties. He scored a superb hat trick and the Hearts fans applauded him when he scored his third. I think we got pumped 4-0.

I was at that game, and with a good keeper we'd have scored 5 or 6. He was unbelievably good. Don't know if I could have applauded him if we'd failed to win.

I remember Mark Walters of Rangers being applauded at Tynie for a piece of outrageous skill ... going back a few years, I can remember quite a few opposition players being applauded when they done something special

Very good shout, i appladed aswell.

Absolutely outrageous strike of the ball.

Yep I applauded this one too. More recently I muttered "great challenge" by an opposition player on Temps and was amazingly accused of being a Hibee and my religious beliefs questioned ha. We werent even playing them haha. It was an away game mind. I said what a good job Thicot was doing on Temps in my ST seat and people around tended to agree.

Although whats more relevant to the OP bearing in mind its Real praising Barca, is would you heap praise or applaud a HIBS player? i seem to remember clapping a latapy goal but he was at Falkirk.

I stood up and applauded Laudrup scoring against us one day. He took out two defenders with what he made look like a simple shift of balance and then curled his shot into the far corner of the goal from the Wheatfield side corner of the box. Made it look effortless but in truth was nothing short of fantastic. A large number of people around me were also on their feet.

I'm sure someone can help fill in the names of the Hearts defenders and the Keeper and perhaps even the score (I'm pretty sure we lost that game by a few goals) but you just couldn't get away from the fact that we were watching Brilliance..!!

That'll be this game. Which we won. :)

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199503181.html

WorldChampions1902

I was at a game at Ibrox in which either Rousset or Niemi played an absolute blinder and the Rangers fans started chanting his name - IIRC he saved a penalty as well? I also remember a sizeable section of the Rangers supporters staying behind after the final whistle of the 1998 SC Final and applauding our cup-winning heroes.

vlad on the tyne

I remember Mark Walters of Rangers being applauded at Tynie for a piece of outrageous skill ... going back a few years, I can remember quite a few opposition players being applauded when they done something special

I was at a game at Ibrox in which either Rousset or Niemi played an absolute blinder and the Rangers fans started chanting his name - IIRC he saved a penalty as well? I also remember a sizeable section of the Rangers supporters staying behind after the final whistle of the 1998 SC Final and applauding our cup-winning heroes.

Did they not stay behind to applaud mccall, mccoist, smith, knox, etc for their efforts with 9inarow etc rather than us? I do remember being cheered by celtic fans on the bus back to edinbugh though, but i dont think that counts.

I've applauded good goals against us, but doubt i could do it against the hibbys. In the incredibly unlikely event that they had a genuine prodigy and said prodigy destroyed us then i'd imagine i would applaud them after the match. But thats not gonna happen.

I remember some applause coming from the Shed in September 93 when Kilmarnock won 1-0 thanks to an absolute howitzer of a strike from 30-yards. Forget the scorers name but it was a peach of a goal. Also remember Atletico Madrid's goal at Tynie in the same season getting some applause (that Polish international they had scored it).

stirlingshirejambo

I remember some applause coming from the Shed in September 93 when Kilmarnock won 1-0 thanks to an absolute howitzer of a strike from 30-yards. Forget the scorers name but it was a peach of a goal. Also remember Atletico Madrid's goal at Tynie in the same season getting some applause (that Polish international they had scored it).

Slightly off topic but I remeber the Portsmouth fans giving Thierry Henry a standing ovation when he was substiteted when he destroyed them at Fratton Park. Think they won 5'1 or something similar. He seemed genuinely touched

Got me thinking

GC

pretty sure gazza got a round of applause after we played tottenham.

I personally haven't but during the new year derby Riordan played the ball up to Nish, was a great ball and a boy behind me said "what a ball" dunno if that counts but that's the closest to appreciation of good play from the opposition I've heard.

My response to this was "he's still a *****."

I personally haven't but during the new year derby Riordan played the ball up to Nish, was a great ball and a boy behind me said "what a ball" dunno if that counts but that's the closest to appreciation of good play from the opposition I've heard.

My response to this was "he's still a *****."

Thats the sort of thing I do on the odd occasion ..........being a football purist yi ken :whistling:

The Goram incident stands out for me but I suppose we knew he was leaving Hibs at the time anyway.

I'm generally only sporting if Hearts win. Sod this corinthian stuff. :whistling:

I applauded this. And once Moravick controlled a 50 yard pass with his backside. And I remember Rangers (Mols maybe?) scoring a stunning goal when they ripped us apart at Tynie and there was a ripple of dejected applause.

Applauded Neil McCann on his first game back at tynie when he had signed for rangers.

Neil took the bold decision to warm up in front of the gorgie stand, to show respect, when he was a sub. Most hearts fans applauded him but some booed.

Think he came on and scored against us though :(

The Goram incident stands out for me but I suppose we knew he was leaving Hibs at the time anyway.

I'm generally only sporting if Hearts win. Sod this corinthian stuff. :whistling:

I was in the Shed that day (twenty years ago!) singing to Andy Goram, but for he record, let's put it into context.

To my mind, the singing was wasn't for pure sporting reasons, in the corinthian sense of the word. Instead, it was sang in an ironic sense.

Hearts were battering Hibs and had scored the their three goals in a ten minute spell mid-way through the second half. By the time we sang to Goram, the game was long sewn up.

I would say the Goram song(s) were less 'you were great there, Andy', and more 'Hibs are so bad, we pity you playing for them'.

Goram, for his part looked over to the Shed, but he didn't wave and I don't think he smiled.

Re sporting gestures, I'm happy to mutter to whoever is sitting next to me 'good pass' or even 'good goal', but I wouldn't stand cheering a jolly good bit of play from the other lot.

Tynecastle, before anything should be a seething bear-pit of noise that sends shivers of fear down the oppositions backs.

The odd applause should be reserved for Lantana Tallinn substitutions with the tie at 6-0.

Not really in the same context but, against dundee utd the ball went into lower section F, Conway went to pick it up and some cretain picked it up and thru it away as possible, gie conway the V's. This pissed me off as thought it was totally uncalled for, its no like Conway had done something in the game to warrent this.

I remember in Prague when we applauded the home team who then came over to our corner and applauded us. Then, when leaving the ground, the Prague fans were on the fenced walkway above us and the stood and applauded us. Crap result but a good night out!!!

Had a wee clap to myself when Dougie Imrie (I think) scored that screamer of a free kick at Tynie. Also when Gomis/Buaben (can't remember which) scored another peach to level the game against Dundee Utd. Was gutted both times but both goals were unbelievable. Think we ended up winning the ICT game 3-2.

Guest juvehearts

prince buarben when dundee utd scored this season at tynecastle

kilie's 1st when we lost 3-0 this season

there has been a few times when players at tynecastle have done some neat football against us that i have clapped & said take a bow son.

end of the day we pay to watch a game of football, if you can't take that some players can do some fantastic skill on the footballing park against your team then why you there in the 1st place.

football is a worldwide sport, we the fans pay to appreciate players to put on a show & when they do we should rightly applaud

juve

I remember in Prague when we applauded the home team who then came over to our corner and applauded us. Then, when leaving the ground, the Prague fans were on the fenced walkway above us and the stood and applauded us. Crap result but a good night out!!!

We also got a round of applause when we walked out of the Bordeaux away game. :thumb:

Archived