Getting my money back

DocBrown

Was just wondering what course of action i would have to take in order to get my money back for the call of yesterday. I had purchased a return train ticket from Aberdeen to Dundee at a cost of 27 pounds.

being a student i am in no position to be throwing away cash like this.

to call of yesterday was a disgrace and us fans should not be left out of pocket because of the incompetent people that run our league.

You'll have to bite the bullet as clubs will say that train fare is nothing to do with them while the rail companies will say that an event being called off is also nothing to do with them. It happened to me twice as a student. November 93 when the ref of our game v Motherwell called it off (I found out not long after getting off the train from Newcastle) and also when the Ne'er day derby of 94 was frozen off (I had travelled up on Ne'er's eve only again to find out not long after stepping off at Waverley).

Was just wondering what course of action i would have to take in order to get my money back for the call of yesterday. I had purchased a return train ticket from Aberdeen to Dundee at a cost of 27 pounds.

to call of yesterday was a disgrace and us fans should not be left out of pocket because of the incompetent people that run our league.

you've kinda illustrated the point in your post.

if the game had gone ahead you would still have expended this money... which you are "in no position to throw away".

games get called off in wet weather. it's not a new concept.

Caveat Emptor I'm afraid.

Yip.

You bought a train ticket to Dundee, and what you intended to do there is irrelevant. As long as the train got you there and back, then they have upheld their contract.

I've been on supporters buses before where they got to the ground only for it to be called off as we arrived. The supporters bus still has to be paid for because they upheld their contract.

Dundee Utd aren't responsible for how people get to their ground, so, to conclude, the OP just has to take this on the chin.

yeah i appreciate that but still the game was called of at 12:22 (or that was when the update came on the bbc) thats far too late for a call off especially when they knew there was going to be heavy rain

Yip.

You bought a train ticket to Dundee, and what you intended to do there is irrelevant. As long as the train got you there and back, then they have upheld their contract.

I've been on supporters buses before where they got to the ground only for it to be called off as we arrived. The supporters bus still has to be paid for because they upheld their contract.

Dundee Utd aren't responsible for how people get to their ground, so, to conclude, the OP just has to take this on the chin.

At the end of the day that will be it.. However I don't think the OP is expecting First Rail to cough up .........but more DUFC?

You're never going to get anywhere but was it really 'unforseen circumstances' in this scenario?

ToadKiller Dog

What would be a decent gesture to do would be for United to knock a couple of quid off the gate price for when the game does go ahead but i suspect that wont happen .

In English, roughly translated...........Dont even make a tit of yourself by asking

At the end of the day that will be it.. However I don't think the OP is expecting First Rail to cough up .........but more DUFC?

You're never going to get anywhere but was it really 'unforseen circumstances' in this scenario?

if i were to get my money (however unlikely) it would not be from the rail company, the game shud have been called of a 9am or whenever giving supporters ample time to react to the cancellation. whos fault it is for the late pitch inspection (united, sfa or spl ) i dont know but they shud be made to reimburse fans

Yip.

Dundee Utd are responsible for the late call off though.

Its not as if it was a sudden downpour of rain it had been raining heavily overnight.They must have known by 9:00am that there was a possibilty of the game getting called off.

An inspection and a decision should have been made much earlier.They also knew there was a large travelling support

expected.

The second paragraph in your post underlines just why away supports (for all teams)are so pitiful these days.

Its time football clubs were made to face up to their responsibilities to the fans .

yeah i appreciate that but still the game was called of at 12:22 (or that was when the update came on the bbc) thats far too late for a call off especially when they knew there was going to be heavy rain

if i were to get my money (however unlikely) it would not be from the rail company, the game shud have been called of a 9am or whenever giving supporters ample time to react to the cancellation. whos fault it is for the late pitch inspection (united, sfa or spl ) i dont know but they shud be made to reimburse fans

Unfortunately buddy, you have zero chance. You chose to go and you spent that money. I feel sorry for you and everybody else that went through, but it is part of the game.

What I will say is, if you are not studying English, you should maybe add it on as a module. :thumbsup:

My best advise would be to refer you to #9 above as you have no chance, harsh but true

How can you prove you were going to the football and not just going to dundee for the day and trying a fast one to get your money back?

This is not me asking but what youd expect train company etc to ask

In English, roughly translated...........Dont even make a tit of yourself by asking

Good to have a Latin scholar on the forum. :teehee:

Unfortunately buddy, you have zero chance. You chose to go and you spent that money. I feel sorry for you and everybody else that went through, but it is part of the game.

What I will say is, if you are not studying English, you should maybe add it on as a module. :thumbsup:

i'll take that in mind :thumbsup:

Good to have a Latin scholar on the forum. :teehee:

Dave, remember Rosie Cairns at Lasswade High? Well it was her that taught me those translations. Really appreciative of it as its come in handy from time to time :whistling:

unfortunate as it was if you,ve not got a lot of available funds to spend on a day out watching football should you be doing this in the 1st place?no doubt you were on the student marches complaining about the goverment asking the poor students to contribute something for their education.no sympathy for students :rolleyes:is that realy the cheapest mode of transport from aberdeen to dundee?

unfortunate as it was if you,ve not got a lot of available funds to spend on a day out watching football should you be doing this in the 1st place?no doubt you were on the student marches complaining about the goverment asking the poor students to contribute something for their education.no sympathy for students :rolleyes:is that realy the cheapest mode of transport from aberdeen to dundee?

i was making an effort to support my club so sorry if i am not allowed to do that, i knew hearts needed a big away support as it was a big important fixture so i was willing to give up my hard earned money to do that.

as for your comment about the student marches no i wasn't one of those t***s acting like complete idiots around the town. also wasn't asking for sympathy!

it was the most convenient method of travel and in fact the return ticket was cheaper than one on the bus, also the bus times didn't suit

i was making an effort to support my club so sorry if i am not allowed to do that, i knew hearts needed a big away support as it was a big important fixture so i was willing to give up my hard earned money to do that.

as for your comment about the student marches no i wasn't one of those t***s acting like complete idiots around the town. also wasn't asking for sympathy!

it was the most convenient method of travel and in fact the return ticket was cheaper than one on the bus, also the bus times didn't suit

as you can see mate you wont get much help or sympathy from a lot of folk on here as they despise us uber fans who go to the games

would be interesting if you get a football minded legal boffin to try and take it to a small claims court even just to hear Uniteds defence

good luck

You'll have to bite the bullet as clubs will say that train fare is nothing to do with them while the rail companies will say that an event being called off is also nothing to do with them. it happened to me twice as a student. November 93 when the ref of our game v Motherwell called it off (I found out not long after getting off the train from Newcastle) and also when the Ne'er day derby of 94 was frozen off (I had travelled up on Ne'er's eve only again to find out not long after stepping off at Waverley).

Well thankfully you have been able to move on and not have any grudges rolleyes.gif, it could have been worse imagine you could haveahhhhhhh.GIF had a student loan.

You could throw snooker balls and fire extinguishers at police and vandalise the Cenotaph in protest.

You could throw snooker balls and fire extinguishers at police and vandalise the Cenotaph in protest.

Students > Student haters

:097:

Well thankfully you have been able to move on and not have any grudges rolleyes.gif, it could have been worse imagine you could haveahhhhhhh.GIF had a student loan.

I'm still deferring! :lol: Everytime my salary hits their cut-point, they keep raising the figure. :thumbsup:

Students > Student haters

:097:

Opinions aside it was called off ridiculously late but it is not a new problem. These incidents have happened for years. The chances of any sort of refund are nil and it is not fair but those working full time probably can not afford to take the hit either, but we too have no choice.

as you can see mate you wont get much help or sympathy from a lot of folk on here as they despise us uber fans who go to the games

would be interesting if you get a football minded legal boffin to try and take it to a small claims court even just to hear Uniteds defence

good luck

As long as it is not on legal aid then go for it

You know, if enough Hearts fans did send emails of complaint to Dundee Utd, explaining why they felt the late call off time was inappropriate and the money they have wasted travelling to Dundee for it, then went on to say they will definitely not be attending the re-arranged fixture and it puts doubt in their mind if they want to take the chance of visiting Tannadice again in the future, maybe - and it's a big maybe - Dundee Utd would respond by knocking a few quid off the tickets next time out for those who had bought tickets for the original fixture.

People could write it in and send it in about the same time it takes them to post on here telling the OP to "get over it".

If football fans want to stop getting ripped off then we have to stop allowing clubs to treat us like the blindest consumers going. Doesn't appear to be any taste for it though.

With or without a Young Person's Railcard ?

You know, if enough Hearts fans did send emails of complaint to Dundee Utd, explaining why they felt the late call off time was inappropriate and the money they have wasted travelling to Dundee for it, then went on to say they will definitely not be attending the re-arranged fixture and it puts doubt in their mind if they want to take the chance of visiting Tannadice again in the future, maybe - and it's a big maybe - Dundee Utd would respond by knocking a few quid off the tickets next time out for those who had bought tickets for the original fixture.

People could write it in and send it in about the same time it takes them to post on here telling the OP to "get over it".

If football fans want to stop getting ripped off then we have to stop allowing clubs to treat us like the blindest consumers going. Doesn't appear to be any taste for it though.

well said lad,as a group we really need to learn to complain better

Maybe I'm missing something but is it not the ref's fault for leaving it so late rather than anything Dundee United have (or have not) done? Was there something they could have done to prevent the fixture being cancelled?

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Maybe I'm missing something but is it not the ref's fault for leaving it so late rather than anything Dundee United have (or have not) done? Was there something they could have done to prevent the fixture being cancelled?

Yep, Dundee UTD can't cancel a game, The match official does.

Yep, Dundee UTD can't cancel a game, The match official does.

interesting!

i wonder who cancelled our cup tie last week with st johnstone?

Whether it is Dalbeattie Star or Barcelona, unless called off days in advance, the match official has to inspect the pitch on match day and make the decision on whether the pitch is playable or not.

Got to take this on the chin mate.

Carl Spackler

Hard luck case but s&&t happens. You want them to give a game every chance to go ahead so you just have to take it as a risk you have to take.

I assume the ticket was unused? If so, I reckon you could chance your arm getting in touch with the place you bought the ticket from and ask for a refund, or part refund for your money. Obviously if you ended up using the ticket on the day, you don't have a leg to stand on.

If you lose out financially this time, next time you likely won't bother risking going or will find alternative means of transport which results in lost revenue for them in the long run. Worth a shot I reckon, if you get someone with authority on a good day, there's always a chance...

[EDIT] Just re-read the original post, I'd assumed you'd bought the ticket in advance online or something and found out about the call off before travelling. Don't think this is the case now so I'm afraid you won't stand much chance of a refund but you could always try I suppose

ToadKiller Dog

No but United have a duty to inform the authorities at the earliest time they can if they feel that the game may be impossible ,as far as i know we have not been told when this was .

As i say i live in dundee and left for work at midnight on the friday finishing sat at 8am chucked it down all night and felt that at midnight looking at the rain that time that the game could be in trouble ,the rain had been on for a good while up to then also.

United know the pitch does not hold water well (they were called the Arabs because of the amount of sand they used to use to dry up the pitch ).

Checking the weather reports on friday for the continued heavy rain well into

saturday they should have informed the authorities on friday night for an early

pitch inspection .

Maybe they did this and the SFA were slow to act .

What ever happened it does as Hearts asked needs questions answered ,but dont waste time looking for refunds is not going to happen .

Years ago I had return tickets to London and the week before we were due to travel my granny died and we were unable to travel. Although the tickets were advance purchase and non-refundable, I sent the unused tickets to the train company and explained the situation, and stated that although I was aware that the ticket price was non-refundable, I would appreciate it if they could consider a refund or travel vouchers due to the circumstances and to their credit, they sent me a full refund by cheque.

Basically, you're not due a refund but it's worth a try asking them for one ... not suggesting that you pretend your granny has died, but if you write them a letter explaining what happened and your circumstances, you never know !

The Old Tolbooth

Dundee United can't control the weather, they could have put covers over the pitch or something but what would that really achieve?

There should be a referee at the ground of the match by 9am every time, Dundee United knew the game wouldn't be going ahead early doors, but weren't allowed to make the decision without the referee, it's absolute lunacy and if anyone is to blame then it's the SFA's lack of contingency plans for this sort of thing, god knows they get paid enough to be at their call of duty early doors to make sure the game is ok to go ahead without wasting the time of thousands of people!

If the game had been called off at 9am would you have been unable to get a refund? You bought a ticked off of scotrail and they were willing to take you to dundee. Like somebody said, buyer beware.

Dundee United can't control the weather, they could have put covers over the pitch or something but what would that really achieve?

There should be a referee at the ground of the match by 9am every time, Dundee United knew the game wouldn't be going ahead early doors, but weren't allowed to make the decision without the referee, it's absolute lunacy and if anyone is to blame then it's the SFA's lack of contingency plans for this sort of thing, god knows they get paid enough to be at their call of duty early doors to make sure the game is ok to go ahead without wasting the time of thousands of people!

Yeh Surely somebody has to 'make the call' early doors?

Whether that is literally a call, to a nominated local Ref or whatever ?

I mean FFS we've just had the worst spell of be winter weather in living memory and still no one appears to have reacted to this

I know clubs are desperate for games to go ahead but we are getting f***** up the ass here !

well done you for not being like a lemming and joining these protesting muppets :thumbsup:however was it not possible for you to buy tickets on the trainline website a few weeks in advance and save yourself a few bob?looked up travel for next saturday as an example and single tickets can be bought for ?6.20 and are still available(these may have not been available for yesterday)although your support is appreciated at away games why don,t you spend yourour hard earned at tynecastle if you don,t already?

Archived