Robbie Neilson

Guildford_Jambo

Guildford_Jambo

Just wondering if anyone knew how he is getting on these days? Does he get a game down south?

Any chance JJ would bring him back to Hearts? I think he could still do a decent job for us - always gave 100% on and off the pitch!

Valentine Jambo

Paddy Kisnorbo might be worth a punt. Sure he is playing for Leeds these days.

Been out injured for ages. Only started back light training at the beginning of this week.

OP bring Robbie Neilson back?? No ta :down:

Just wondering if anyone knew how he is getting on these days? Does he get a game down south?

Any chance JJ would bring him back to Hearts? I think he could still do a decent job for us - always gave 100% on and off the pitch!

You been on the sauce?

He's shit. He has always been shit and will never be anything other than shit.

What about the cup final,he did THAT tackle to prevent gretna scoring.That in my book makes up for the crap games he has had in the past.

Nothing much got past him but tbh all he ever did once he won the ball was punt it up the line.......out for a throw in

Anyone know how Arkadiusz Klimek is getting on? Any chance JJ could bring him back? I think he could do a job.

Anyone know how Ricardas Beniusas is getting on? Any chance JJ could bring him back? I think he could do a job.

Anyone know how David ****ing Kirkwood is getting on? Any chance JJ could bring him back? I think he could do a job.

Honestly - when will this shit end?

What about the cup final,he did THAT tackle to prevent gretna scoring.That in my book makes up for the crap games he has had in the past.

One tackle in circa ten years at the club.

One good "throw in" in circa ten years at the club.

One goal in circa ten years at the club.

The rest of the time, he was honk.

Napoleon  Wilson

Anyone know how Arkadiusz Klimek is getting on? Any chance JJ could bring him back? I think he could do a job.

Anyone know how Ricardas Beniusas is getting on? Any chance JJ could bring him back? I think he could do a job.

Anyone know how David ****ing Kirkwood is getting on? Any chance JJ could bring him back? I think he could do a job.

How dare you use the "K" word on this forum, how DARE you!!??

I think if Kevin Twaddle came out of retirement he could do a job for us

jambos are go!

One tackle in circa ten years at the club.

One goal in circa ten years at the club.

The rest of the time, he was honk.

Probably the most important tackle in the history of the club

methinks.

methinks.

Oooft! That's a big statement to make. Oh, and it's nonsense.

Oooft! That's a big statement to make. Oh, and it's nonsense.

If not that one then what is your view of the most important Hearts tackle ever? :ninja:

A poll perhaps? :cool_shades:

Drylaw Hearts

methinks.

A really, really bizarre statement.

If not that one then what is your view of the most important Hearts tackle ever? :ninja:

A poll perhaps? :cool_shades:

I am not sure how to quantify such a thing. However, if there was such a thing as "the most important Hearts tackle ever", I'd suggest it came in darker days than Cup Finals. Possibly a very late goal saving tackle when we almost got relegated or a game around about the Mercer take over where our very future was in doubt.

Again, I don't know how to quantify something like that, I am not certain what would have happened had Neilson missed that tackle, would the guy have definitely scored? Would we have definitely been knocked out? Nobody knows. What I will say is that we have been in worse scrapes in my short life than winning a cup final. Never mind the hundred or so years we had before my recollection.

As stated above; Nonsense.

I am not sure how to quantify such a thing. However, if there was such a thing as "the most important Hearts tackle ever", I'd suggest it came in darker days than Cup Finals. Possibly a very late goal saving tackle when we almost got relegated or a game around about the Mercer take over where our very future was in doubt.

Again, I don't know how to quantify something like that, I am not certain what would have happened had Neilson missed that tackle, would the guy have definitely scored? Would we have definitely been knocked out? Nobody knows. What I will say is that we have been in worse scrapes in my short life than winning a cup final. Never mind the hundred or so years we had before my recollection.

As stated above; Nonsense.

It's an interesting alternative on the usual 'most important goal' stuff. though. I think I'll start a thread on the 'most important throw in' Hearts have ever won. :teehee:

Most important tackle in the history of the club! Wow! Ian Black's professional foul on that rangers numpty the other week. Plenty more where that came from!

seem to remember two goals coming from throw-ins in the same 45 minutes against Motherwell two seasons ago.

Nothing much got past him. We don't have a proper right back. Plenty reasons to want him back, but not very likely to happen.

seem to remember two goals coming from throw-ins in the same 45 minutes against Motherwell two seasons ago.

Nothing much got past him. We don't have a proper right back. Plenty reasons to want him back, but not very likely to happen.

Agree,far better than our current right back.

methinks.

It won us the cup didn't it.

Oh wait, no, it didn't.

It was 1-0 to us when this happened, so it would have gone 1-1.

The whole pattern of the match would have changed.

Good tackle. Abysmal player.

You just made that bit up, eh? He was regularly found out in the SPL, Rearend used to have a field day against him. If he was a formiddable fullback like you say he was, he would not be a fringe player at Leicester.

I don't remember those tbh, however, three from so many of those long throws that were meant to be such a positive shows that his throws were generally pish.

As for "nothing much getting past him", Riordan had him on toast every derby, I particularly remember Willie Gibson from Kilmarnock and Owen Morrison doing him really quite badly. Those are isolated incidents but he was generally the weak link in the Hearts side IMO.

A terrible player.

Robbie once said to me, only partly in jest, that he had carved a career out of being able to throw the ball further than anyone else.

Modest, hard-working, respectful towards the club and the fans and not nearly as bad as some like to make out.

I liked him.

I don't remember those tbh, however, three from so many of those long throws that were meant to be such a positive shows that his throws were generally pish.

As for "nothing much getting past him", Riordan had him on toast every derby, I particularly remember Willie Gibson from Kilmarnock and Owen Morrison doing him really quite badly. Those are isolated incidents but he was generally the weak link in the Hearts side IMO.

A terrible player.

Neilson was a good lad but not very good most of the time.

He is now older and slower and will get worse in the twighlight of his career.

Sign him up, imo.

jambos are go!

As for "nothing much getting past him", Riordan had him on toast every derby, I particularly remember Willie Gibson from Kilmarnock and Owen Morrison doing him really quite badly. Those are isolated incidents but he was generally

the weak link in the Hearts side IMO.

A terrible player.

The only Hearts out and out right back to be capped by Scotland I'm 50 years at least. And be had a good game IIRC.

I said 'probably' and I think that that is a more reasonable assertion than your claim that he was totally rubbish despite playing hundreds of matches under umpteen managers!!!

The only Hearts out and out right back to be capped by Scotland I'm 50 years at least. And be had a good game IIRC.

I said 'probably' and I think that that is a more reasonable assertion than your claim that he was totally rubbish despite playing hundreds of matches under umpteen managers!!!

Robbie Neilson got a cap at a time that Kirk Broadfoot was injured. Kirk Broadfoot is better than Neilson (going on the rationale used; International caps) and that shows his level.

As for your second line, it's not, thanks. :)

C'mon, even you must recognise that it was a wild statement to make! :laugh:

jambos are go!

Robbie Neilson got a cap at a time that Kirk Broadfoot was injured. Kirk Broadfoot is better than Neilson (going on the rationale used; International caps) and that shows his level.

As for your second line, it's not, thanks. :)

C'mon, even you must recognise that it was a wild statement to make! :laugh:

In the last 50 years or so I've attended all the major league games and major cup ties including semi fnals and finals. I've never seem a better or more important tackle. Eye witness evidence.

IIRC when Robbie was capped Gerry McNee wrote a column saying it was disgraceful that he had been denied one for so long by West Coast bias. I am not alone in my admiration for his ability.

Johanes de Silentio

Robbie can defend, which is the main thing for a defender, surely?

His use of the ball isn't great, so he needs a player like McKay or Fulton (or maybe even Fulton McKay!) to come deep and take the ball - he didn't always get that.

Never rated Neilson. Infact i thought he was god awful.

Would be interested so see how he matched up to our current crop though.

Apart from Zaliukas i don't rate our current defense at all. Bouzid is an absolute numpty and our right/left backs are midfielders!!

Our defence is doing surprising well however. I put this down to good tutoring and bad opponents.

It was painfully obvious that in the 2005/06 side he was the weak link, he used to do my nut in if truth be told. Remember 18 months or so after that he came back in to the side and things settled down at the back for us - he was an organiser at a time when not many were at the back.

Very limited player, gave his all - lets leave it there.

Limited player who did a good job for Hearts when there were no better options available.

Always gave his best, and while that certainly doesn't make him a good player, I don't think he deserves to have some of the shite directed at him that he receives on this board.

4 Hearts managers thought he was the best option we had a right back, and that's good enough for me.

However, I think Jonsson could develop into a far better right back than Robbie so I'd rather see him given at least a season to play there.

Johanes de Silentio

Hearts have made contact with him (ok it was around 6 weeks ago now), he's out of contract.

YAAS - cue meltdown!

He would always give 110% and he is a legend as a scottish cup winner and long serving player.

but I never want to see him play in maroon again. Ever.

Poor guy. Never in a million years as bad as some people on here make out. He simply would not have played as many games, as others have said. He was a good servant to the club but while we currently have no decent right backs I have to agree that it is daft to discuss him coming back here. Hope he has made some cash down there and continue to wish him well in the later years of his career.

In the last 50 years or so I've attended all the major league games and major cup ties including semi fnals and finals. I've never seem a better or more important tackle. Eye witness evidence.

IIRC when Robbie was capped Gerry McNee wrote a column saying it was disgraceful that he had been denied one for so long by West Coast bias. I am not alone in my admiration for his ability.

Good lord! :o

Firstly, let it be clear that I am not saying it was a bad tackle or that it wasn't important, I just find your assertions about it ridiculous. For somebody that watched us go down, go up (continue far too much for comfort) and eventually stay up I find that an incredibly fluffy, forgetful comment. I refuse to believe that this was the most important tackle in the history of the club.

As for his international career, how often has he played since that first cap? How is he doing at Leicester? Before anybody suggests that the Championship is a higher level, please remember that Sol Bamba has just moved to that club. It's obviously East Midlands issues he has now.

Hearts have made contact with him (ok it was around 6 weeks ago now), he's out of contract.

I am not surprised in the slightest, and if I could be bothered searching, I would find me saying this pretty much since Jefferies came back. Jefferies has rated Neilson for some time, going so far at a fans forum/EGM to say that the reason we had not bought a right back was that Neilson was "a bit special" and going to be a big player for Hearts. I trust Jefferies, and if he brings him back I will support it, but I fear it would be a dreadful move as Neilson never really looked like he had it.

I really don't think I can bear seeing Robbie unleash his seven iron up the wing again. :(

He would always give 110% and he is a legend as a scottish cup winner and long serving player.

but I never want to see him play in maroon again. Ever.

That is one of Neilson's greatest traits and skills.

He tries.

Valentine Jambo

I would welcome Robbie Neilson back at Tynecastle anytime ......... just as long as he's no playing for us! :whistling:

Robbie can defend, which is the main thing for a defender, surely?

His use of the ball isn't great, so he needs a player like McKay or Fulton (or maybe even Fulton McKay!) to come deep and take the ball - he didn't always get that.

Correct. Robbie was a solid defender imo but has time at Hearts has gone.

jambos are go!

Good lord! :o

Firstly, let it be clear that I am not saying it was a bad tackle or that it wasn't important, I just find your assertions about it ridiculous. For somebody that watched us go down, go up (continue far too much for comfort) and eventually stay up I find that an incredibly fluffy, forgetful comment. I refuse to believe that this was the most important tackle in the history of the club.

As for his international career, how often has he played since that first cap? How is he doing at Leicester? Before anybody suggests that the Championship is a higher level, please remember that Sol Bamba has just moved to that club. It's obviously East Midlands issues he has now.

I am not surprised in the slightest, and if I could be bothered searching, I would find me saying this pretty much since Jefferies came back. Jefferies has rated Neilson for some time, going so far at a fans forum/EGM to say that the reason we had not bought a right back was that Neilson was "a bit special" and going to be a big player for Hearts. I trust Jefferies, and if he brings him back I will support it, but I fear it would be a dreadful move as Neilson never really looked like he had it.

I really don't think I can bear seeing Robbie unleash his seven iron up the wing again. :(

I invite nominations then from anyone out there who would like to highlight a better or more important tackle. I can remember that Holt, Mann, Oliver & McCleary were particularly outstanding tacklers but cant remember a single one that stands out in the memory like Robbie's did. Roy Barrie was a tremendous last ditch tackler but did not see him put one in the kind of context Neilson did. Bit miffed you describe my claim as fluffy whilst you claim he virtually never got any thing right.

Like Cumming covered in blood the image of Robbie,s tackle will live on in our folklore forever IMO. Immortality is assured IMO and nothing anyone says on here will change that. Fans have short memories but this will not forgotten. Not like Jim Hamilton's immense defensive display when he came on as a sub against Rangers or the fear of death Craig Gordon's ability put into the Gretna penalty takers.

Archived