Dundee United 1 - 3 Hearts (April 1999)

Silvery_Moon

One of the requested uploads by Buffalo Bill.

This game saw us come off the foot of the SPL table. New signing Darren Jackson and the return of Colin Cameron made a huge difference for us. Gary McSwegan's contribution during those games was also important.

The first goal from McSwegan is a screamer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAWkgIRsa1k

Maiden Gorgie

One of the requested uploads by Buffalo Bill.

This game saw us come off the foot of the SPL table. New signing Darren Jackson and the return of Colin Cameron made a huge difference for us. Gary McSwegan's contribution during those games was also important.

The first goal from McSwegan is a screamer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAWkgIRsa1k

Look at the size of the crowd! :woot:

Geez I remember this. IIRC we had thrown away a 2 goal lead to Kilmarnock the previous Saturday and ended up drawing 2-2 which put us bottom of the league - on the same day that Hibs clinched promotion to the SPL. We were at one of the lowest points ever when United opened the scoring that night. The fightback in that match and the rest of the season was pretty special though.

Johanes de Silentio

Geez I remember this. IIRC we had thrown away a 2 goal lead to Kilmarnock the previous Saturday and ended up drawing 2-2 which put us bottom of the league - on the same day that Hibs clinched promotion to the SPL. We were at one of the lowest points ever when United opened the scoring that night. The fightback in that match and the rest of the season was pretty special though.

To be honest, that 2-2 draw against Killie was a bit of a turning point, imo - yes, we lost a two-goal lead, but there were signs that things were on the up - Darren Jackson was a key figure in keeping us up, imo.

Was shitting masel' before the crunch game against Dunfermline, which I think we won 2-0.

As well as Cameron coming back, and Jackson's influence, this period also marked the emergence of a young Scott Severin as an important player in our midfield, if I mind right?

tartofmidlothian

Was at this game, it was pretty special and the 2-2 the week before against Killie was decent too, considering what had gone before. IIRC we'd lost 8 or 9 games in a row and only scored one goal in a 3-1 cup defeat by Motherwell. JJ had made some howling mistakes like the signing of Leigh Jenkinson, and also worth noting how poor Pressley was for his first few months with us.

Things reached a nadir (and we also reached the bottom of the table, again IIRC) with what has gone down in infamy as The Mo Berthe Game - a 2-0 defeat away to Dundee with a 6 foot 6 new signing who actually couldn't play football. I went, it was shameful.

Cue a two week international (or cup?) break, Hamilton shipped out to Aberdeen, Darren Jackson in, Colin Cameron back from injury and McSwegan banging the goals in at last. We were on fire after that. Signed off the season with a 5-2 pummeling of Aberdeen, I recall.

RoussetsShorts

I was at this game and remember being nervous as hell. The Cameron goal is one of my favourite ever a) it was just a great goal B) winning that game gave me some belief we'd be ok.

I also remember JJ was under pressure at the time and there were lots of 'One Jim Jefferies, there's only one Jim Jefferies' near the end and at full time.

:pleasing: :pleasing: :pleasing:

**Gary McSwegan, what a rat he turned out to be when Levein came, still scored some very important goals for the club though including one in a euro place decider v the vermin.

p.s. How much better was it when we got behind the goals at Tannadice, used to love the sieb banter and the atmos in there.

p.p.s. How crap were the strips that season, HONKING!

That was a great night. Huge following (singing the Great Escape, which was rarely if ever, more apt) trying to haul Hearts out of the mire and I've rarely seen a shot hit harder than McSwegan's goal that night! Watched the 0-4 'Well game a couple of days ago, man we played some shit hot stuff when Jackson signed and Wee Mickey came back.

tartofmidlothian

**Gary McSwegan, what a rat he turned out to be when Levein came, still scored some very important goals for the club though including one in a euro place decider v the vermin.

Remind me, what happened? I always thought he was just getting a bit old and past it, and didn't seem keen to take any chance going to leave when Levein told him he wasn't wanted. Which is fair enough IMO.

Remind me, what happened? I always thought he was just getting a bit old and past it, and didn't seem keen to take any chance going to leave when Levein told him he wasn't wanted. Which is fair enough IMO.

McSwegan never done anything, he just wasn't fancied by Levein as he was on a decent wage.

RoussetsShorts

He said he wanted to sign for celtic and did a chest thump in a reserve game. The uber reserve team fans turned against him and from then on he was left to rhot with the U19's or even train on his own.

Dire stuff until Cameron got over his pelvis injury.

What sticks in the memory is no fewer than 4 defeats to newly promoted Dundee.

Agonising.

Our post-gum shield results were magnificent.

In fact, if we'd swapped those last half dozen games for the last half dozen games for the magnificent 97/98 campaign then we'd have possibly been league champions, if you're on my bus.

I'm sure it was us who relgated Dunfermline in the end . . . with a Mickey double.

That was what you call a Scottish Cup hangover. When we beat Rangers on the first day of the season, honestly thought we were going to run the OF very close.

Remember listening to that game on the radio at a friends house.

Johanes de Silentio

I mind Levein asked McSwegan to play on the wing, just as he had with Andy Kirk - McSwegan got humpty about it! :verymad:

I mind Levein asked McSwegan to play on the wing, just as he had with Andy Kirk - McSwegan got humpty about it! :verymad:

Might be wrong, but I think there was a bit of a personality clash with Levein and McSwegan - plus he was on a fair wage (as well as appearance money)

As an aside, it was McSwegan who scored against us for Killie in their 1-0 win in 2003 which resulted in Levein's war against the SFA and Dougie MacDonald.

Archived