Bullets in the mail for Celtic players

mayfield

Firstly boys, nothing to do with any Secterianism or anything, just making the point on something a work colleague mentioned this morning.

Apparently Paddy McCourt, Niall McGinn and Lennon have all had bullets sent to them in the mail. No doubt as to who sent them...obvious reasons due to where they're from.

Are these guys all Protestants? I'm assuming yes, due to these IRA-wannabe dicks doing this sort of stuff.

Firstly boys, nothing to do with any Secterianism or anything, just making the point on something a work colleague mentioned this morning.

Apparently Paddy McCourt, Niall McGinn and Lennon have all had bullets sent to them in the mail. No doubt as to who sent them...obvious reasons due to where they're from.

Are these guys all Protestants? I'm assuming yes, due to these IRA-wannabe dicks doing this sort of stuff.

Eh?

Johanes de Silentio

MgGinn's bullet arrived DAYS after the other two. :lol:

Funny imagining the tossers that sent them, pissed off at the lack of coverage for McGinn's bullet - "******* posties"! :lol:

Best not to dwell on the religious/sectarian aspects of this - we can only conclude that those sending the bullets are assholes! :thumbsup:

Special Agent Dale Cooper

So whats your point caller?

MgGinn's arrived DAYS after the other two.

Funny imagining the tossers that sent them, pissed off at the lack of coverage for McGinn's bullet - "******* posties"! :lol:

Best not to dwell on the religious/sectarian aspects of this - we can only conclude that those sending the bullets are assholes! :thumbsup:

The first two were intercepted in County Antrim, and the third in Glasgow. Assuming they were sent at the same time, I'm amazed the Royal Mail only took a few days to get it over the Irish Sea.

Disregarding the fact that this is an already discussed issue (not that that's wrong, though) I struggle with the OPs assumption that it's the IRA sending bullets to Lennon, McCourt and McGinn...more so with his guessing that because it's the IRA sending them (?) then they must all be protestant.

Mind you I made the same kind of assumption when the story first broke (but the main difference between my assumption and the OPs is that I am almost certainly correct).

CavySlaveJambo

Someone attempted to send Paddy McCourt, Niall McGinn and Neil Lennon a bullet in the mail. They were intercepted at a sorting office in Northern Ireland (except McCourt's in Glasgow) and the police were called in.

bullets in mail

BTW All three are catholic and (previously) involved in the Northern Ireland international set up

Geoff Kilpatrick

To clarify Helen's point, both of the Septic players are current Northern Ireland internationals.

To clarify Helen's point, both of the Septic players are current Northern Ireland internationals.

To clarify further, the Pope is also Catholic.

To clarify further, the Pope is also Catholic.

To clarify further some nationalists in Ireland see catholics playing for Northern Ireland as a form of treachery.

To clarify further some nationalists in Ireland see catholics playing for Northern Ireland as a form of treachery.

To clarify EVEN further, not only do some right wing Kafflicks think it is treachery, but the equally radical right wing Proddies think that kafflicks have no place in their national team.

Or, the three of them have signed up to a Hunting, Shooting, Fishing Magazine and got some bullets sent to them for free with the first issue?

To clarify EVEN further, not only do some right wing Kafflicks think it is treachery, but the equally radical right wing Proddies think that kafflicks have no place in their national team.

Or, the three of them have signed up to a Hunting, Shooting, Fishing Magazine and got some bullets sent to them for free with the first issue?

It could be a very badly thought out plan to smuggle weapons onto the UK mainland.

Slowly.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Quite, and given that these incidents have just followed the blue arsecheek being beaten by the green arsecheek...

MgGinn's bullet arrived DAYS after the other two. :lol:

I know why. Lennon and McCourt where telling McGinn at training about the bullets

McGinn "What did they look like?"

Lennon "I'll send them to you so you can see"

Boys I know a strange opening post, but it is fitba related I suppose!

Glasgow tossers.

Some great replies too have to say.. :lol:

joker1.jpg

Patrick McCourt, Nial McGinn and Neil Lennon are all Catholics from Northern Ireland who are employed by Celtic.

If, and 'if' is the key word, there is a terrorist connection here (i'd be surprised to be honest, think it's a one man job) then it would be Loyalist Paramilitary groups, and not the bloody IRA.

joker1.jpg

Patrick McCourt, Nial McGinn and Neil Lennon are all Catholics from Northern Ireland who are employed by Celtic.

If, and 'if' is the key word, there is a terrorist connection here (i'd be surprised to be honest, think it's a one man job) then it would be Loyalist Paramilitary groups, and not the bloody IRA.

Read the whole thread.

Read the whole thread.

Hadn't looked at it from the point of view that Nationalists would see it as a form of treachery.

Still, my point stands. I would be astonished if the IRA had anything to do with it TBH.

Interestingly though, a FIFA ruling has meant that any player born on the "Island of Ireland" ( :rolleyes: ) can choose to play for the Republic of Ireland. Darron Gibson has chosen to betray his country of birth to play for the Republic. I suppose that ruling in particular leaves them open to this sort of thing, as the aggrieved know that they had a choice of representation.

Interestingly though, a FIFA ruling has meant that any player born on the "Island of Ireland" ( :rolleyes: ) can choose to play for the Republic of Ireland. Darron Gibson has chosen to betray his country of birth to play for the Republic. I suppose that ruling in particular leaves them open to this sort of thing, as the aggrieved know that they had a choice of representation.

It's just sad that in this day and age, people are forced to choose what country they play by religion rather than region. Imagine being hated for wanting to represent the country you were born in because you believe about a fictitious sky man slightly different from somebody else. :(

It's just sad that in this day and age, people are forced to choose what country they play by religion rather than region. Imagine being hated for wanting to represent the country you were born in because you believe about a fictitious sky man slightly different from somebody else. :(

Yes, the situation is ridiculous but it's just the way it is.

No age-old FIFA ruling = no decision to be made for a teenage footballer as to which country to represent = no hasstle.

Of course that formula is very simple on purely the football issue but it's obviously so much more complicated than that when it comes to the religious division in Ulster.

According to something I heard on the radio the other day this is quite a common thing in NI with journalists receiving bullets in the mail if they have written certain stories.

However, not too bright the people sending these because they attempt to disguise their handwriting by using a stencil when addressing the envelopes which means any mail with a stencilled address gets pulled at the sorting office, as these were. Have they never heard of an inkjet or laser printer?

Yes, the situation is ridiculous but it's just the way it is.

No age-old FIFA ruling = no decision to be made for a teenage footballer as to which country to represent = no hasstle.

Of course that formula is very simple on purely the football issue but it's obviously so much more complicated than that when it comes to the religious division in Ulster.

The old firm have alot to answer for too and are at the forefront of it's continuation. And why not? It keeps them rolling in cash. I'm sure McGeady wouldn't have ever considered playing for Ireland if it wasn't so 'fashionable'. As long as Celtic deliberately sign catholic players and rangers sign Northern Irish Protestants, well all just have to put up with the affect on society and impression on our 'yoofs'.

The old firm have alot to answer for too and are at the forefront of it's continuation. And why not? It keeps them rolling in cash. I'm sure McGeady wouldn't have ever considered playing for Ireland if it wasn't so 'fashionable'. As long as Celtic deliberately sign catholic players and rangers sign Northern Irish Protestants, well all just have to put up with the affect on society and impression on our 'yoofs'.

Correct.

I think, in particular, Celtic's poaching of anyone that's had a pint of Guiness is embarassing.

Apart from anything, it harms the Northern Irish league, and it's one of the reason's that NI is a footballing third-world.*

*No disrespect to the national team, who i follow. They have punched well above their weight in recent years v's England, Spain and Italy for example.

Hadn't looked at it from the point of view that Nationalists would see it as a form of treachery.

Still, my point stands. I would be astonished if the IRA had anything to do with it TBH.

I'm not really sure if FIFA is at the root of this, per se. By law, anyone born on the island of Ireland is (more or less) entitled to citizenship of the Republic of Ireland. So it's not really anything special with regard to Northern Ireland and cases like Gibson - FIFA is simply applying it's own nationality rules.

I'm not really sure if FIFA is at the root of this, per se. By law, anyone born on the island of Ireland is (more or less) entitled to citizenship of the Republic of Ireland. So it's not really anything special with regard to Northern Ireland and cases like Gibson - FIFA is simply applying it's own nationality rules.

Indeed. Its a byproduct of the Good Friday Agreement.

Commander Harris

there have been plenty of catholic who have played for the northern irish national team without it being an issue.

also, people choose the country they represent based on their politics, i.e. their view of their own nationality. saying it's simply a matter of religion is an oversimplification.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I find the OPs ignorance of such sad and pathetic sectarian guff reassuring and quaint... I am actually glad that people living in Australia do not have their finger on the pulse of such embarrassing and cringe-worthy Irish/Scottish foibles and hope that the rest of the world do remain ignorant to something that makes us all look like uneducated and intolerant erseholes. :ninja:

there have been plenty of catholic who have played for the northern irish national team without it being an issue.

also, people choose the country they represent based on their politics, i.e. their view of their own nationality. saying it's simply a matter of religion is an oversimplification.

You're right, I didn't actually mean that was the only deciding factor. I (poorly) tried to allude to the fact that it's shocking Catholics get abuse for representing Northern Ireland. It's no wonder some choose to give international football up.

Commander Harris

You're right, I didn't actually mean that was the only deciding factor. I (poorly) tried to allude to the fact that it's shocking Catholics get abuse for representing Northern Ireland. It's no wonder some choose to give international football up.

The thing is Roman Catholics generally haven't had problems representing Northern Ireland!

Martin O'Neil was a Northern Ireland football legend (if there can be such a thing :P) - Captain of their famous Espana 82 world cup team etc. Him being a Roman Catholic was not an issue when he made almost 70 appearances for them.

Even Lennon played for Northern Ireland for 7 years without any issues. What changed? - he signed for Celtic.

It's quite sad really, people say that Northern Irish politics has "infected" the game in Scotland but as far as I can see it's the old firm that is the infection here, propagating and heightening these tensions for profit.

What changed??? It didn't become an issue until he stated he wanted a united Ireland side, when he was captain of Northern Ireland.

The thing is Roman Catholics generally haven't had problems representing Northern Ireland!

Martin O'Neil was a Northern Ireland football legend (if there can be such a thing :P) - Captain of their famous Espana 82 world cup team etc. Him being a Roman Catholic was not an issue when he made almost 70 appearances for them.

Even Lennon played for Northern Ireland for 7 years without any issues. What changed? - he signed for Celtic.

It's quite sad really, people say that Northern Irish politics has "infected" the game in Scotland but as far as I can see it's the old firm that is the infection here, propagating and heightening these tensions for profit.

Seems to me CH, the old firm both directly and indirectly are to blame. World would be a much better place without them me thinks.

What changed??? It didn't become an issue until he stated he wanted a united Ireland side, when he was captain of Northern Ireland.

That's the guys problem, he can't keep his mouth shut.

He knows (knew) fine well that those comments would stoke the fire but he thinks he's untouchable.

Got to laugh at the video of him celebrating like a fat ginger Martin O'Neill wannabe. Embarrassing.

Archived