Official thread for talking about the remainder of the season

Victorian

thought i would start a thread for those of a sensible, well adjusted disposition.

what is the real target in mind for JJ? do you think he believes that anything above 3rd place is realistic?

is 3rd place a satisfactory goal to have in mind for us punters? i think we might just have to lump it because ultimately the title maight just be a dream too far, albeit i think it's still possible to challenge for a while yet.

all other forward looking subjects are more than welcome.

self-pitying roasters are not.

It's difficult to say but I think 3rd is where we'll finish. I don't think we are as close as we think we are.

3rd place is a good season.

But it's also a very depressing situation and sums Scottish football up that 3rd place is seen as some sort of achievement.

Charlie-Brown

aim for 3rd, keep trying our best & hope & try for better if possible but don't 'expect' it, anything better than 3rd is a bonus with the current squad imo.

the rest of this month is massive for our ambitions. we've got 5 etxremely tough games and it's perfectly feasible we could end up with less than 5 points from them if we're not near our best. That would put us out of the title race and leave us to concentrate on 3rd. which is where I think we'll finish, but if we're going to do any better than that, a minimum of 3 wins is needed from the next 5, with at least one of them against Celtic or Rangers. Realistically I expect us to take between 6 and 9.

As for JJ, I would hope he believes we can win every game and sets us out to do so. Whether he believes we can win the league, I doubt it, although a good end to this month would certainly give him more confidence.

Miller Jambo 60

thought i would start a thread for those of a sensible, well adjusted disposition.

what is the real target in mind for JJ? do you think he believes that anything above 3rd place is realistic?

is 3rd place a satisfactory goal to have in mind for us punters? i think we might just have to lump it because ultimately the title maight just be a dream too far, albeit i think it's still possible to challenge for a while yet.

So im a roaster then, you enjoy going out in the 3rd round of the big cup.

Every Hearts fan will have their own opinions of last night and i will respect every one of them.

Who are you to judge your fellow hearts fans.

Doug.

Third is the minimum I would expect now, and now that we only have the league to concentrate on let's get right back to business starting against Dundee Utd and push the uglies all the way.

Obviously I want us to win the league (and I still think there is a very real possibility that we could pull it off. I'm sick of everybody and their dog writing off our chances with a sly snigger, including some muppets on Kickback), 2nd would be good, 3rd also good, but I would be disappointed if we weren't still within touching distance of the Old Firm towards the end of the season.

Brace yourself for the flurry of posters who will try to point out that our team is actually pish, and have been overacheiving, and last night was us returning to normal, and top 6 is just a pipe dream BTW.

Can't speak for JJ obviously, although I think he would say he want's to finish as high up the table as is possible.

Start of the season I personally would say that finishing third should be the minimum goal for the league campaign. Is it satisfactory? Depends.

If we finish third but push the OF all the way then we can look back and say that we had a good league campaign.

If we lose ground to the OF but still end up third (comfortably) then again still a good season, compared to others in the recent past.

If we just scrape third then I would be happy, but slightly disappointed given the great run of form we have been on.

If we finish below third then the season has been wasted.

Where do I think we will end up?

Third, unfortunately, but closer to the OF than expected. So all in all a good league campaign.

Less said about our cup campaigns the better...

Every Hearts fan will have their own opinions of last night and i will respect every one of them.

Doug.

Yes you are a roaster. Hes talking about 3rd in the league being satisfactory not 3rd round of the cup.

I would be pleased if we got 3rd. We are in a much better place that we were last season.

If we can do well in the next few tough games there is always a chance that we can do better than 3rd.

We_are_the_Hearts

3rd is the realistic target for this season as there is still a lot of deadwood kicking about our squad. The summer could be huge though and it's up to JJ to get rid of as much deadwood as possible and strengthen our squad by adding a bit of quality in certain areas where we are light. Build the team around Wallace, Rudi, Temps, Kello, Zal and Kyle.

Last night was a one off. Over the season I cannot see any of the other teams (excluding the OF) in the league sustaining a challenge. Kilmarnock, Dundee Utd, Motherwell, ICT, etc. will all drop points. Defensively, Hearts do not lose many goals so they should be well consolidated in 3rd place come the split, but last night proved that the squad is not strong enough (currently) to challenge the OF over a season.

In saying that, JJ may pull a rabbit out of the hat before the end of January. The games coming up against the OF will go a long way to define how the season is likely to enfold.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

I am roaster.

Have Hearts actually got to the month of Feb before being knocked out of the cup since we last won it? I am getting bored with people comparing our record to Hibs - we are a BIGGER club THAN THEM and thus we should be setting our sights higher. Our SC record is NOT good enough.

I have seen Hearts finish 3rd many many times - not a huge deal. If we can split the OF then that would be a REAL achievement. However I don't think we are quite there yet and with injuries, suspensions and loss of form I think we need a couple of players to boost the squad. Although you could say Wallace and Driver are these players I geniunely feel that if Rudi is unavailable or going through a bad patch then we have no creativity at all and no-one within the squad to provide it.

Doug.

:what:

you've misunderstood and missed the point doog. it's the assembly of roasters that have been busy judging other people.

oh ah grantona

3rd at worst and to be in hunt would be great even a few points adrift 9 max

And to keep our squad for next season have a proper go and empty the dross

Regardless of where we finish this season I would say it's been a good un. Yes it's a shame we are out of the cup at the first time of asking but it's not the end of the world. Our results have been fantastic but, more importantly for me we are actually playing football. Goals from strikers. Goals from midfield. Clean sheets and good defensive performances every week. Strong and creative in midfield. 3rd would be lovely, splitting the uglies brilliant and winning it, which I don't think we can would be unbelieveable but the improvement has been fantastic and we are, once again a team. Great spirit, great work ethic and players who want to play for a management team who love this club. I've been wondering how we will react to a dissapointing result. Now we will see.

TO be honest, whether we can mount a credible challenge depends almost wholly on the three games that we have against the OF in the next month. If we win more than we lose, we should be right in there. If we don't gain any ground, probably third is as good as we can do. Making radical changes before these games would be too big a risk imo, so it's almost just a case of seeing how things fall now. I suspect we aren't good enough yet to get, say 6 points from the 3 OF games, especially as two of them are in Glasgow, but you never know. After these games, we have an easier run, so if we're still there, then who knows.

If you think that we should do better in the cups, you're right. However, on the front page of the Terrace, there are a number of other threads where you can talk about that. Let's not roast this one up as well.

If you said at the start of the season we'd finish 3rd I'd have been pretty happy. If we keep pushing Rangers and Celtic for as long as possible I'll be over the moon tbh. Even coming a close 3rd would be a dam good season.

However if you'd said we'd go out of the cup at the first time of asking against St Johnstone I'd be pretty annoyed. Our cup performances, Scottish and League, needs to seriously improve. I'm sick of missing out on Finals.

Actually, I don't really care about being 2nd. It's not much better than 3rd, and there isn't much of a gap between the OF this year. 1st is not much harder to achieve than 2nd right now.

Been saying it all season but 3rd is satisfactory and realistically all we are likely to be able to achieve.

Championship winning teams do not fail to win at home as regularly as Hearts have this season. Some of our fans have been getting far too carried away.

Back of the Bus

Actually, I don't really care about being 2nd. It's not much better than 3rd, and there isn't much of a gap between the OF this year. 1st is not much harder to achieve than 2nd right now.

Agreed,

Aim to win it (seriously) and if it doesn't come off we'll settle for 2nd, or 3rd in the worst case scenario.

Guest vanbasten1874

Keeping nipping at the uglies for as long as we can another Derby pumpin at ER and a european place will suffice and can be looked upon as successful .

No excuses now. No European / CIS / Scottish Cup games like Rangers. No CIS / Scottish Cup games like Celtic. Let's try and push these mobs right to the wire.

Our last defeat (the end of october) gave us the kick up the ass we needed to get ourselves in such a strong league position. Last night should be thought of as the second kick up the backside.

Can we win the league? Probably not, and certainly not if we play like last night. But the players and management already know that. We only have the league left. Let's make sure the OF know they are in for a fight in the next few months.

Craig Herbertson

Regardless of where we finish this season I would say it's been a good un. Yes it's a shame we are out of the cup at the first time of asking but it's not the end of the world. Our results have been fantastic but, more importantly for me we are actually playing football. Goals from strikers. Goals from midfield. Clean sheets and good defensive performances every week. Strong and creative in midfield. 3rd would be lovely, splitting the uglies brilliant and winning it, which I don't think we can would be unbelieveable but the improvement has been fantastic and we are, once again a team. Great spirit, great work ethic and players who want to play for a management team who love this club. I've been wondering how we will react to a dissapointing result. Now we will see.

Good post. We've seen a lot worse times than this. For a number of weeks I've been having great fun. Losing yesterday was perhaps made tougher by our expectations - but these expectations have only been based on the team doing really well in the previous weeks. We've just got to keep the pressure up. At some point, maybe this season, maybe next we're going to have a lot to celebrate.

It's difficult to say but I think 3rd is where we'll finish. I don't think we are as close as we think we are.

But it's also a very depressing situation and sums Scottish football up that 3rd place is seen as some sort of achievement.

Third was always the goal its just very unfortunate that we did not couple that with a nice wee cup run.

Ps its not just scottish football down in England 4th is seen as an achievment rather than a trophy.

Chaka Demus & pliers

Agreed,

Aim to win it (seriously) and if it doesn't come off we'll settle for 2nd, or 3rd in the worst case scenario.

Yes. We should aim to win the league, just as we should have been doing before last night.

We lost one game, albeit in a cup we may well have had a good chance of winning, and suddenly half the fans turn pessimistic and we aren't good enough anymore.

We have been on a great run and if we treat this as a blip and get back to winning ways immediately then there is no reason why we can't maintain a challenge to the Old Firm.

As has been posted numerous time neither of them are particularly good this season so why shouldn't we feel confident that we can challenge for the title?

The knee-jerk reactions from some on here, from one extreme to the other, are ridiculous sometimes.

If we don't win the league we will look back on last nights game and think "what if". It was unfortunate but imo doesn't change anything. We haven't suddenly become a bad team, we just had too many players on an off night.

How we react in our next game could have a big say on how our season pans out.

The Old Tolbooth

Lets rewind 12 months, we were threatening to go bottom of the league and Hibs were 18 points in front of us at one point, the team were playing garbage and we had the utterly hopeless Csaba at the helm, on the 29th of January things changed, Csaba was rightly sacked, and Jefferies was rightly brought in, and our fortunes took a turn for the better.

We started climbing the league table and got ourselves away from the danger zone, and although the transformation wasn't startling, there certainly was improvement there as Jefferies changed the mindset of the players from thinking like the Italian army, to thinking more like a team that could actually cross the half way line, and as a result we damn near caught Hibs and had that lot shitting themselves with 6 games to go!

In the colose season we signed a few players to bolster the squad with the obvious ones being Stephen Elliott and Kevin Kyle as our attack needed a boost (and still does), we started the season in a mixed bag fashion and only 3-4 months ago it looked like we were going to be involved in a 4 way dog fight for third place with Dundee Utd, Motherwell, & Kilmarnock, as we failed to beat all three of these sides at home.

Things have only started to get a little rosier since the Kilmarnock result, and we've now managed to more or less claim 3rd spot in the league as our own, although I refuse to take anything for granted, but a lot of people appear to forget that it was only a few weeks ago that we were pretty crap and right in the mix with quite a few other clubs. Our run of form has bee nothing short of miraculous and truly brilliant to witness, however we don't have the either the quality in depth, or the experience, to carry us to a title win imo, and we're a few players short of where we need to be to challenge the Old Firm on a consistent basis.

I think if we can use the rest of this season to consolidate 3rd place in the league and hopefully hang onto the coat tails of the Old Firm and see what happens, then we can use the transfer window in the summer to get rid of a lot of deadwood and bring in some much needed faces to help us mount a more serious challenge next season, remember Jefferies has only really had 1 transfer window so far and he's still playing with a lot of the side that he inherited, apart from Stephen Elliott, Kevin Kyle, and Rudi Skacel, all of whom have improved our team no ends. (I left Stevenson out as I feel he's not really improved our overall team)

No idea what JJ believes, but I think third is the best we can hope for and would be more than acceptable.

We have a decent first eleven when everyone is fully fit and on form, but very little on the bench to fall back on as the past couple of games have shown. Lose Skacel and we resort to hoofing it to Kyle; lose Kyle and suddenly we're on the back foot and our defence looks frail.

We also lack the pace and guile to break down the increasing number of teams who will come to Tynecastle and set up as if they are defending a corner kick for the entire 90 minutes (c.f. ICT and Hibs).

Lets rewind 12 months, we were threatening to go bottom of the league and Hibs were 18 points in front of us at one point, the team were playing garbage and we had the utterly hopeless Csaba at the helm, on the 29th of January things changed, Csaba was rightly sacked, and Jefferies was rightly brought in, and our fortunes took a turn for the better.

We started climbing the league table and got ourselves away from the danger zone, and although the transformation wasn't startling, there certainly was improvement there as Jefferies changed the mindset of the players from thinking like the Italian army, to thinking more like a team that could actually cross the half way line, and as a result we damn near caught Hibs and had that lot shitting themselves with 6 games to go!

In the colose season we signed a few players to bolster the squad with the obvious ones being Stephen Elliott and Kevin Kyle as our attack needed a boost (and still does), we started the season in a mixed bag fashion and only 3-4 months ago it looked like we were going to be involved in a 4 way dog fight for third place with Dundee Utd, Motherwell, & Kilmarnock, as we failed to beat all three of these sides at home.

Things have only started to get a little rosier since the Kilmarnock result, and we've now managed to more or less claim 3rd spot in the league as our own, although I refuse to take anything for granted, but a lot of people appear to forget that it was only a few weeks ago that we were pretty crap and right in the mix with quite a few other clubs. Our run of form has bee nothing short of miraculous and truly brilliant to witness, however we don't have the either the quality in depth, or the experience, to carry us to a title win imo, and we're a few players short of where we need to be to challenge the Old Firm on a consistent basis.

I think if we can use the rest of this season to consolidate 3rd place in the league and hopefully hang onto the coat tails of the Old Firm and see what happens, then we can use the transfer window in the summer to get rid of a lot of deadwood and bring in some much needed faces to help us mount a more serious challenge next season, remember Jefferies has only really had 1 transfer window so far and he's still playing with a lot of the side that he inherited, apart from Stephen Elliott, Kevin Kyle, and Rudi Skacel, all of whom have improved our team no ends. (I left Stevenson out as I feel he's not really improved our overall team)

Not having a go as I'm as glad as you are that we got rid of Csaba and brought in Jefferies.

But re the emboldened.

We were 5th when Csaba left and JJ took over. We finished 6th.

realistically 3rd, however, the aim should be 1st, from what ive seen of the vermin they are very average.

we just need to grind out results when playing poor like they do, thats the key factor they have

hopefully we can push them all the way, we shall see

The Old Tolbooth

Not having a go as I'm as glad as you are that we got rid of Csaba and brought in Jefferies.

But re the emboldened.

We were 5th when Csaba left and JJ took over. We finished 6th.

Did I imagine it or were we one game away from going bottom of the league around Xmas time last season had results went against us? :unsure: (you've got me wondering now)

As far as I'm concerned Jefferies tried to get us playing football again when he came in, but it was never going to be easy mate, it was always going to be a difficult task to change the way the players thought on the field of play and get them going forward again, I think the benchmark was Hibs last season as they were miles clear of us when Jefferies took over, and come the end of the season we really could have caught them had just a couple of results went our way, I reckon if Csaba was still there at the end of the season then we'd be bottom 6 easily, and nowehere near Hibs at the end of the season, although no one will know for sure.

All on for the title, it's there for the taking if the old filth do little this month and we can take maximum points from the next 7 games. European spot at a minimum. Preferable 2nd over 3rd. And how about this little number? :thumbsup:

spit-roaster_54.jpg

Not allowed? :huh:

Did I imagine it or were we one game away from going bottom of the league around Xmas time last season had results went against us? :unsure: (you've got me wondering now)

As far as I'm concerned Jefferies tried to get us playing football again when he came in, but it was never going to be easy mate, it was always going to be a difficult task to change the way the players thought on the field of play and get them going forward again, I think the benchmark was Hibs last season as they were miles clear of us when Jefferies took over, and come the end of the season we really could have caught them had just a couple of results went our way, I reckon if Csaba was still there at the end of the season then we'd be bottom 6 easily, and nowehere near Hibs at the end of the season, although no one will know for sure.

We could have gone bottom in mid December if results went against us.

But we went on a decent run where we only lost one of Csabas last 8 league games.

Taking 15 points out of 21 before we got humped 3-0 by Aberdeen which cost Csaba his job.

I think Laszlo is an idiot still and the facts above just mask that but he didn't quite leave us in as bad a situation as some suggest. It's a common misconception on here that JJ wrestled us into our top 6 place from nowhere when all along we had been there when he took over.

Almost a year ago we were witnessing a terrible performance and defeat to St Mirren in the semi final of the league cup and the progress that has been made in a very short time has been remarkable.

We are a work in progress and I would be happy with 3rd as we don't have the squad to compete with either of the OF. If we made 1 or 2 quality signings now and kept everyone fit we may have an outside chance but if not I am still very happy with the progress JJ has made in a very short time.

Also if you take a longer term view I can't see Rangers or Celtic hugely improving in the next few seasons so if we can make steady progress next season and the one after who knows. The main challenge is to replace the players that inevitably will be sold and that's why I'd like to see a few younger players getting a chance if possible.

As a postscript to last night, one of the reasons we didn't win the league in 98 is that Colin Cameron had to be rested for the semi and final. At least if we are there or thereabouts come April we won't have that quandary. Football is nothing without hope!

The Old Tolbooth

We could have gone bottom in mid December if results went against us.

But we went on a decent run where we only lost one of Csabas last 8 league games.

Taking 15 points out of 21 before we got humped 3-0 by Aberdeen which cost Csaba his job.

I think Laszlo is an idiot still and the facts above just mask that but he didn't quite leave us in as bad a situation as some suggest. It's a common misconception on here that JJ wrestled us into our top 6 place from nowhere when all along we had been there when he took over.

Ah, apologies mate, I'm glad I wasn't imagining it though as I thought auld age was starting to get the better of me :wacko:

I remember the 0-3 game against Aberdeen, it was a horrific performance, difficult to believe that we could have an 8 goals swing inside the space of a year when we humped them 5-0 though

mahgrassyshoes

Last night was disappointing, of course. I think it was worse than the league cup exit because there didn't appear to be that much fight, whereas at Falkirk there was a tremendous fight back and we ran out of steam. That said, both were disappointing, but we now have to try and get the reaction we did after the Kilmarnock game. The new aim has to be a challenge for the league. I think if we purely aim for 3rd only it will be a bit like resting on our laurels, and that might cause a few slipup that could let Killie or the like back in. It is better to have fallen short than to never tried.

One other thing I would say to all the folk who are saying 2nd isn't much better than third, IIRC there is about ?5 or 6 million difference in prize money. So i'd say it is a bit better, and lets be honest finishing there is an achievement in itself, rightly or wrongly.

tommythejambo

We have a very, very hard month ahead of us. Especially if Skacel and Kyle are injured.

If they do manage to get fit (which I can't see, due to our ridiculous record with long-term injuries) we could quite easily still be challenging well into this year.

We're not really any weaker than either of the OF, we just lack the depth.

Snake Plissken

Third.

European football and a third victory over Hibs as I doubt they'll make the top six.

Not a bad season at all.

mahgrassyshoes

Almost a year ago we were witnessing a terrible performance and defeat to St Mirren in the semi final of the league cup and the progress that has been made in a very short time has been remarkable.

We are a work in progress and I would be happy with 3rd as we don't have the squad to compete with either of the OF. If we made 1 or 2 quality signings now and kept everyone fit we may have an outside chance but if not I am still very happy with the progress JJ has made in a very short time.

Also if you take a longer term view I can't see Rangers or Celtic hugely improving in the next few seasons so if we can make steady progress next season and the one after who knows. The main challenge is to replace the players that inevitably will be sold and that's why I'd like to see a few younger players getting a chance if possible.

As a postscript to last night, one of the reasons we didn't win the league in 98 is that Colin Cameron had to be rested for the semi and final. At least if we are there or thereabouts come April we won't have that quandary. Football is nothing without hope!

Top post! :thumbsup:

I think last night?s result will have a positive impact in the long term! Don't get me wrong, it's embarrassing to be put out the Cup at the first hurdle! But last night?s game has been coming, and in all honesty it is a wakeup call to alot of people; the team, our fans and a few in the media. Too many "sensible and level headed people" on here were getting far too far ahead of themselves, and some players were in need of a wee reality check.

If Jefferies can use last night?s game in the same way he did after the Kilmarnock gubbing, nearly 10 games ago, then I will be more than happy. That will definitely see us seal third and hopefully allow us to close the gap on RANTIC and keep it at a respectable level. It also gives a clear indication to the management team as to where we need to strengthen the squad and who we need to empty, whether that be this window, or more realistically, the summer time.

So all in all, the rest of the season looks very positive.

Obviously, its about how we bounce back. JJ will get a couple of training sessions in to blow away any doom and gloom there may be after last night and get the squad re-focused on the league.

At a minimum i`d like to see alot of upbeat, open performances we`ve witnessed at times this season, the upkeep of our scoring rate and continue to see the young player progress.

All about the evolution to next season now and a solid 3rd place finish is also a minimum and european qualification.

Would hate to see the good work undone too easily which we`ve achieved so far.

At the start of the season all i wanted was an improvement on last season,

The improvement has been massive, we have had a couple of poor performances and one came last night, Not great that it happened in the Cup but if it's a kick in the arse the players need and we move onwards then i'll take it, If we can kick on and get good results and stay on the backs off the Old firm and overtake one or both of them I'll be delighted, If we end up 3rd I'll be alot happier than the end of last season.

If the players go out with the right attitude in each match and fight for every ball and wear the Jersey with pride, no matter the results , I will be a proud Jambo thumbsup.gif

FTH

RoussetsShorts

I think it's gona be a straight shoot between us and Killie for 3rd spot as we are both now out the cup. They are 9 behind but we have to go there and they now have 3 home games in a row which will all look winable to the them. whereas we have a very very tough next few weeks.

I don't think we have a hope of finishing in the top two, its too early for this team and we as a club have still to get over the mental hurdle of winning in Glasgow regularly, especially at Ibrox.

Next season is the big season, if McCoist takes over at the huns he will be a disaster as all 'legend's' tend to be, that will be our opportunity.

Overall I just want some kind of european football at the end of the season which means a 3rd or 4th(if one of the OF wins the cup) finish.

Its been a good season with lots of goals, for that i am truly truly grateful.

3rd place equals no medals or silverware and one round in Europe. :down:

Scottish Cup win equals medals, silverware, Hampden cup final day, weekend of celebrations and another note as winners in the record books. :thumbsup:

Know which one i would have preferred. ;)

This

So you go to games Spanky ? You seem to be happy to point out how people who paid to watch that pish should be feeling from the comforts of your armchair. Your ramblings would carry a lot more respect if you were actually at the game.

We have to look to beat Rangers at home and in Glasgow. We have lost once to them already and I don't think we can afford another defeat. The same goes for celtic. We have lost a game to them and if we wan the title it has to remain that way.

We've had four thoroughly disappointing defeats up to January. Would have bit your arm off for that at the start of the season.

We're scoring goals, creating loads of chances and defending well. When we get it wrong we're ganting but so far, those have been very sparse.

Fantastic season so far and the potential to be very good. 3rd place would be great, 3rd place by a distance would be beyond expectation and above that would be amazing.

So you go to games Spanky ? You seem to be happy to point out how people who paid to watch that pish should be feeling from the comforts of your armchair. Your ramblings would carry a lot more respect if you were actually at the game.

i'm a season ticket holder but i don't go to every game. i've put my money in the same as anyone else. not that it's necessary in order for someone to be entitled to an opinion as you seem to be suggesting.

you are another who has missed the point of the comment i see. the point is that many many people appear to be taking out their frustrations on the players, the club and (bizarrely) some fans who post so-called arrogant comments on a messageboard prior to a match. people are obviously entitled to be upset or angry but i say it's extremely selfish and self absorbed for people to rip into a group of people who have given us a tremendous effort this season thus far.

we are all disappointed. some of us are better equipped to deal with our individual disappointment it would seem. if i see people misplacing theirs then i'll say so.

is that ok with you?

I think that the lowest we will finish is third, and that is totally bang on target for Jefferies.

IMO, the squad we have is acres ahead of "the rest" but still a bit short of the top two. IF we were to invest heavily on two/three players in the window, my prediction would change, but I am contented that we are where we should be.

Archived