Home championship to return

Darren

Guest Bilel Mohsni

This would be good. Would it be annual do you reckon or would it have to be less frequent due to congested fixture-lists etc and international tournaments?

Templeton'sUnderpants

Would be delighted. Always got the feeling that England wouldn't really be up for it. Their pride takes such a knock whenever they lose to any of the other home nations.

portobellojambo1

So, is this in addition to, or instead of the proposed competition involving Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland

Hackney Hearts

Our 1 win in every ten games against Engerlund

Not quite...

Played 110

Won 41

Drawn 24

Lost 45

That would certainly help me get any kind of interest back in the national game. Sod your friendlies against Japan and the Faroes. Let's see us getting thumped by England instead. The national game really needs something like this to spark up a bit of interest again.

Gareth_Hearts

Almost 30 years of saying we're Best team in Britain could be coming to an end <_<

What else are us ulstermen meant to go with!

Matthew Le Tissier
So are the English fans allowed in Scotland, cos if i remember they caused loads of bother. [/quot what about us england fans who already live up here? =p

Mad Dog Frazer

brilliant news

already go down to wales every second year for the rugby

2012 this gives me a year to work on the missus

Am i completely mistaken or was this not scheduled to start this year without England anyway?

Yes you are mistaken, that's the celtic cup.

Yes you are mistaken, that's the celtic cup.

Or the "We've got a big Shoiny new Stadium in Dublin and we'd best be foinding something to do with it" Tournament

Or the "We've got a big Shoiny new Stadium in Dublin and we'd best be foinding something to do with it" Tournament

:thumbsup:

Not quite...

Played 110

Won 41

Drawn 24

Lost 45

Sorry Hackney Hearts I thought it was much worse than that.

These stats did surprise me.

Most of our wins must have been long before I was born.

I thought England said they wouldn't be taking part and it was going to be a 'Celtic' cup?

Not in 2011 but from 2012 apparently.

I thought England said they wouldn't be taking part and it was going to be a 'Celtic' cup?

Yeh thats the Carling Nations Cup and starts this year in Dublin !

Supposed to be very 2nd year ( being hosted in rotation ) so that would put the next one in 2013 !

We'll see what happens with this years tourney , if it brings out the crowds or not ?

Sorry Hackney Hearts I thought it was much worse than that.

These stats did surprise me.

Most of our wins must have been long before I was born.

You would be surprised how wrong you are, can't tell you when they caught up with us but in my younger days :whistling: we were always a few games ahead of them. :thumbsup:

It was a tournament that rightly died a death. I see no reason whatsoever to revive it. Rubbish though we currently are at international football, I don't think getting worked up about an annual fixture against the English is going to make us any better.

It was a tournament that rightly died a death. I see no reason whatsoever to revive it. Rubbish though we currently are at international football, I don't think getting worked up about an annual fixture against the English is going to make us any better.

Whit?

Beating England at rugby is great. Beating them at football would be amazing.

I think you are wrong on so many levels.

It is the perfect end to a football season and one for players to aim for. Tickets would be a guaranteed sell out at Hampden/Wembley.

Whit?

Beating England at rugby is great. Beating them at football would be amazing.

I'd rather focus on beating countries that are actually half decent at the game - something we haven't done nearly enough of in recent years. I think our horizons should be wider than the Home Internationals. I've no objection at all to beating the English if we should happen to come up against them in competition, but I've really no desire to go through the hype that used to surround the annual fixture. In all honesty, it never brought out the best in us.

No thanks. I have almost zero interest in international football. Club before country every time for me and the fewer chances for any of our players to pick up injuries in crappy international matches the better.

Hackney Hearts

I'd rather focus on beating countries that are actually half decent at the game - something we haven't done nearly enough of in recent years.....

I think our horizons should be wider than the Home Internationals.

Why are these things mutually exclusive? We've focussed on trying to get to major finals for the last 13 years without success - have we had Home Internationals to distract us? No.

(Also - the home countries quite often are half-decent. Even England , on their day.)

I've really no desire to go through the hype that used to surround the annual fixture.

I have. What is professional football without a bit of hype?

This would be good. Would it be annual do you reckon or would it have to be less frequent due to congested fixture-lists etc and international tournaments?

I rekon it would be more likely to be biennial, too much to have it every year.

I rekon it would be more likely to be biennial, too much to have it every year.

Aye we could drop in it between the WC and the European nations years ?

I was at the last one at Wembley in '88 ... great weekend but a decidedly edgy experience. Pros and cons.

Hearts - Hibs or Hearts - Barcelona. What gets you more excited?

Scotland - England at Hampden or Scotland - Spain? It is a no brainer. Dosn't matter how good or how strong the opposition, rivals are rivals and nothing beats playing against them. A Home Nations Tournament would be a Footballing Six Nations. No matter how bad Scotland are, we sell out home games against England, Wales and Ireland. No matter how good New Zealand and South Africa are, we don't. Bring it on. Great for the Scottish Game and a fantastic way to end the season on non World Cup or Euro Champs Years.

Personally I loved the Home Internationals or to be more specific The annual Scotland v England game.

If it was to be revived I would be a happy chappy.

If Vauxhall or whoever want to throw money at such a tournament then all the better IMO

Get it done and ERSE to this Celtic cup pash.

Happy days. Rarely miss a Scotland game.

On a side note.

BBC news this morning.

''Home internations were stopped due to concerns over crowd trouble'' (the show us trashing Wembley)

They can piss right off, if there is any or ever will be any crowd trouble then it is and always will be that utter mob.

BBC News 24 just reported that the proposal is for a one off tournament to celebrate the FA's 150th anniversary in 2013, not a permanent revival.

My link

Happy days. Rarely miss a Scotland game.

On a side note.

BBC news this morning.

''Home internations were stopped due to concerns over crowd trouble'' (the show us trashing Wembley)

They can piss right off, if there is any or ever will be any crowd trouble then it is and always will be that utter mob.

Obviously not old enough to recall the trouble around this fixture was caused by tartan hordes until about 87/88/89 when the English casuals finally got it together enough to attend this match. 89 in particular Glasgow was battle ground. There was also bother round Waverley station involving a mob from Middlesbrough and Darlington and Hibs.

Yeah well if we're only doing it the once, let's make sure the game that matters is at the new Wembley.

I have always said that that fine stadium won't be truly 'open' until we've been there for our souvineers :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

Charlie-Brown

The old football calendar used to be quite predictable but comforting .... Hearts played Hibs in August and then again January 1st or 2nd, Scottish Cup semi-finals same day as the Grand National, Scottish Cup Final last game of the season followed by a week of Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday with the 3 home-international games the last being Scotland-England to round off the season.......marvellous! :)

Archived