Das Boot

Gigolo-Aunt

Ray Winstone

Absolutely outstanding film.

Watched it for the first time when I was doing higher German and make a point of watching it at least once a year.

Total class film. If you like it, then worth looking into buying Silent Hunter III for the PC. You can reinact all those scary moments for yourself!

davemclaren

Excellent film. My fave German one is Goodbye Lenin. Also have the Heroes of Berne on DVD - a great football movie.

Great film, but even the german language edition was dubbed as the special designed steady cam they used to film in the submarine made so much noise from its stabilising gyro's that the audio had to be re-recorded and dubbed over the visuals. Made it easier to do an English version I'd imagine.

Good but sad ending, definitely not a Hollywood cop-out

Also have the Heroes of Berne on DVD - a great football movie.

Is that the 'Helden von Bern' with the lego figures?? or the one with the wee lad in Wunder von Bern who follows the team to Switzerland and gets there in time to see them win .. ?

davemclaren
Is that the 'Helden von Bern' with the lego figures?? or the one with the wee lad in Wunder von Bern who follows the team to Switzerland and gets there in time to see them win .. ?

The latter. I may have the title wrong. ;)

Das Boot features the most excellent Herbert Gr?nemeyer (sensitive singer/songwriter type) in one of the lead roles.

And all of the submariners appear to be Schalke fans.

davemclaren
Can't help it - sorry... Great wee film tho. :)

It is, I got a DVD of it from our German friends Xmas 2006.

Bunny-guts-in-dustbin is my favourite scene.

:)

Along with the very wonderful 'Dinner for One " (Der 90. Geburtstag) with Miss Sophie and James?

davemclaren
Along with the very wonderful 'Dinner for One " (Der 90. Geburtstag) with Miss Sophie and James?

Yes, the Germans love that one., for some reason... :confused:

Goodbye Lenin - a brilliantly funny film. When they have to find the German Marks to change into Deutsch Marks is fantastic. My missus said that happened to quite a few people.

Dinner for one - Yup. The Germans love that one. Shown every New Year in English with subtitles. We even have a copy on tape as she said I had to watch it. Don't see what the fuss is about to be honest. Although, a fair few do have "Dinner for One" parties with drinking games. Having to match the butler drink for drink sounds like it might be a laugh.

Other great films are "The Lives of Others", about the stasi and "The Expiriment" which is loosely based on a true story. They put members of the public in jail, half as guards and half as prisoners, to see how they adapt. Guards go nuts, prisoners go nuts, damn good film.

Apparently two others I haven't watched that are brilliant, are "Run, Lola, Run" and "Knocking on Heavens Door".

Since this is turning into a fave German films thread, I'll name my top 5 of the moment:

1 Heimat (1 & 2 - the lot, every episode)

2 Schtonk! (extremely funny Hitler diaries saga)

3 The Lives of Others

4 The Nasty Girl (Bavarian town closes ranks when its past is investigated)

5 Wings of Desire (Wenders' masterpiece - angels in Berlin)

Not a big fan of Run, Lola, Run!

Honourable mentions to The Tin Drum and Das Boot.

Edit: sorry, Goodbye Lenin should be in there without any doubt. Oh well, it's a top six now.

Not a big fan of Run, Lola, Run!

Honourable mentions to The Tin Drum and Das Boot.

The Tin Drum is a good film but barely scratches the surface of the book which is an amazing read.

Denny Crane

For those who are planning to go to Munich at some point in their lives, the Bavaria Filmstadt is a great place to visit - top attraction there being inside the actual submerine used in the film Das Boot.

The Tin Drum is a good film but barely scratches the surface of the book which is an amazing read.

Yeah, but the main thing is that he does full justice to all the pervy bits...

Jeez - that takes me back to first year uni ....and G?nter Grass :eek:

Love Heimat - The first series especially and in addition to the ones mentioned, Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo.

Ray Winstone
Run Lola Run is a fantastic film.

Fantastic - yet the sense of frustration is felt when you watch it because you just want to know what happens!

Good Bye Lenin = Favourite German film!

Archived