Finisher?

Gavsy Van Gaverson

stirlingshirejambo

gerd-muller.jpg

Got to agree with der bomber more than a goal a game at international level with West Germany.

Remember as a kid being mesmerised with what litle football we got on tv when he was playing. Was it his movement his finishing or the size of him that struck me. Probably a combination, incredibly strong with tree trunk thighs

gerd-muller.jpg

Top goalscorer in Mexico 70 and scored the winner in West Germany 74.Thing is though i cannot remember him scoring outside the 18yard goal area.The best i have seen,with Eusebio second.

Buffalo Bill

Top goalscorer in Mexico 70 and scored the winner in West Germany 74.Thing is though i cannot remember him scoring outside the 18yard goal area.The best i have seen,with Eusebio second.

Indeed, Muller was a great scorer of goals, as opposed to Bobby Charlton who was a scorer of great goals.

Guest vanbasten1874

:thumbsup:

Enjoyed that ! VB could have scored goals sitting in an armchair most natural finisher ever !

After Robbo that is :thumbsup:

Enjoyed that ! VB could have scored goals sitting in an armchair most natural finisher ever !

After Robbo that is :thumbsup:

How much do you think Van Basten would cost today?

How much do you think Van Basten would cost today?

He would easily become the worlds first ?100m footballer

It's hilarious after watching that video and still hear people peddling the Wayne Rooney is world class pish

Buffalo Bill

I would say that van Basten was the all-round better and more graceful footballer but in the essence of the thread, I would argue Muller was the better finisher.

Please check out his wiki page.

Gerd Muller Wiki

I agree with you BB, the guy was an outstanding striker and finisher unfortunately being a young un (30 IS young!) most of what I have seen of Muller is based on old footage of World Cups etc whereas most of us on here will have seen MVB live in a few matches which might be what puts him in the forefront of our minds

Muller's records though are unlikely to be matched and anybody who has scored more goals than appearances at international level, especially when it's 68 in 62 games must be at the top of any list of great goalscorers/finishers

He would easily become the worlds first ?100m footballer

It's hilarious after watching that video and still hear people peddling the Wayne Rooney is world class pish

I don't think anyone could afford him in todays market. Well maybe Man City or the likes.

Unbelievable stats Muller has though.

Not easy to compare players whose careers never crossed.

Both outstanding. :thumbsup:

Pele for me

Years Team Apps? (Gls)?

1956?1974 Santos 1120 (1087[4])

1975?1977 New York Cosmos 64 (37[5])

Total 1184 (1124)

SectionDJambo

Gerd Muller.

His instinct for goal scoring positioning and movement has no equal. The opposition just could not mark him.

IIRC even managed to score against Leeds in a European Cup Final after being shunted to left back to cover injuries.

He did, however, have the advantage of playing international matches against poor teams to rack up his incredible international goal scoring record. Also think he may have scored from just outside the box against Engerlund in 1972 at Wembley.

Would still score a barrowload in today's game.

I actually don't think you can compare them, Muller was the archetypal penalty box striker, anything in there was his and more often than not he'd put it away, on the other hand MVB could score from literally anywhere with his head or any foot

They are both the best ever at what they did imo, Muller's scoring record edges him, barring injury though it may have become an even more difficult decision bearing in mind the Bundesliga has always had a reputation for goals whereas the Serie A is notoriously a lot more stuccoed and harder to score

Anyway I'm going to stop before I tie myself in more knots!

Chris Benoit

I actually don't think you can compare them, Muller was the archetypal penalty box striker, anything in there was his and more often than not he'd put it away, on the other hand MVB could score from literally anywhere with his head or any foot

They are both the best ever at what they did imo, Muller's scoring record edges him, barring injury though it may have become an even more difficult decision bearing in mind the Bundesliga has always had a reputation for goals whereas the Serie A is notoriously a lot more stuccoed and harder to score

Anyway I'm going to stop before I tie myself in more knots!

No mention of Super Pippo?

No mention of Super Pippo?

Oh I love Super Pippo but I can appreciate he's just a level beneath these all time greats

He does have a shit hot medal collection though

In my lifetime it would have to be Van Basten, My auld man would run with the Muller story though.

Way of berth here...

There was a season at Spurs where Clive Allen was (to use Jamie Redknapp on this) literally on fire.

Not the best, but Hugo Sanchez knew what to do with the ball. His record at Real Madrid was seriously Johnny Marr.

...a bit disco

Maybe not the best but used to love watching him play.

Batistuta.

Batistuta.jpg

Napoleon  Wilson

One of the best has surely got to be "The Black Pearl" Eusebio. His record at Benfica is incomparable 727 goals in 715 games! Sadly he only played at one world cup in 1966, helping Portugal to a 3rd place finish and winning the goldenboot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eus%C3%A9bio

Maybe not the best but used to love watching him play.

Batistuta.

Batistuta.jpg

He was some player. Kind of fell away when he hit the 30 year old mark. Seemed to lose that edge.

I'm only young so was Van Basten a bit like fat Ronaldo while Muller is like Miroslav Klose

small gif or gtfo.

I don't have the computer experience that you have to master the gif :(

gerd-muller.jpg

As far as pure finisher, Der Bomber is the best I've ever seen, and that includes the Lawman and Jimmy Greaves, as well as more modern options.

Archived