• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• gator

• Forever Hearts

• Victorian

Fozzyonthefence

Another perhaps forgotten about match by many that cost us the title. Had we pumped the already relegated Bankies that last game wouldn't have mattered as the goal difference would have been too much for Celtic (or a more spectacular lie down would have been required).

stirlingshirejambo

Another perhaps forgotten about match by many that cost us the title. Had we pumped the already relegated Bankies that last game wouldn't have mattered as the goal difference would have been too much for Celtic (or a more spectacular lie down would have been required).

One of my all time favourite goals from a very nervous game

We were quite happy with a win

goal difference wasn't really mentioned then

Doctor FinnBarr

What are you on about? it was the last game at Tynie that season ?

jt

Sorry, I was thinking about the 1st game against them, 4-1 perhaps?

We were happy with the win, being pretty crap on the day. I was home from working in London, I only got home 1 week end in 4 at the time. Great, home for that game, wangled getting home for the cup final two weeks later. 'Nuff said.

jt

At the time we were happy with a win from a piss poor and nervous performance. With the benefit of hindsight, we should have put 3-4 past them and won the league.

Yes, we should have won the league that day. We took the foot of the gas and never really tried to get more goals, the league would have been out of sight for Celtic.

Hearing the championees chant again fills me full of sadness and bad feeling.

Not a good way to start a Friday

Buffalo Bill

One thing is for sure:

I wouldn't have fancied walking around downtown Chernobyl that day . . .

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Never counts your Chickens before they hatch.

I certainly did after this game and never have since.

The Old Tolbooth

I was in the away end that day as it was opened up to Hearts fans and the Bankies fans were put in 20 seats in the corner of the Main Stand.

Had we just banged in a couple more........... :angry:

North Berwick Jambo

One thing is for sure:

I wouldn't have fancied walking around downtown Chernobyl that day . . .

I remember a few weeks later at the cup final i turned round & the guys behind me had a massive flag with the radiation symbol on it & Chernobyl Hearts written underneath!

I remember Clydebank played 1-10-0 formation all match, even after they went 1-0 down, almost seemed that they wanted to limit our goal difference.

It was a horrible game.....

The Treasurer

Must have been around 25,000 there!!

I seem to remember the crowd was around 19k.

This was on a day that if results had gone the right way we could have clinched the title yet we still couldn't get enough glory hunters along to fill the place.

I've always thought that was a disgrace as the house full signs should have been up for a game of such importance.

Drylaw Hearts

I seem to remember the crowd was around 19k.

This was on a day that if results had gone the right way we could have clinched the title yet we still couldn't get enough glory hunters along to fill the place.

I've always thought that was a disgrace as the house full signs should have been up for a game of such importance.

Don't worry....

They'll come along when we move to an 18 team SPL and play teams like Clydebank every few weeks whilst challenging for 3rd.

:ninja:

One of my favourite Gary Mackay goals. Though he was really helped with the final bobble making the ball sit up.

It was such a shame when his confidence for going forward like that was destroyed by Joe Jordan making him play as a wing back. Gary had fantastic ability to burst into the box when he was younger.

The Treasurer

Don't worry....

They'll come along when we move to an 18 team SPL and play teams like Clydebank every few weeks whilst challenging for 3rd.

:ninja:

Do you think they'd be more likely to turn up if we were playing motherwell or st johnstone for the 5th or 6th time in the same season ?

i think it was roughly 22,000 at that game IIRC. i don't always remember correctly though.

i remember it being a massive relief that they eventually got ahead and got the points. at the time it seemed like the job was done... turned out different of course.

some goal. more fitting of a match that has happier memories.

Better call Saul

22 thousand ....where are they all now ( well at least a small % of them as some maybe dead sadly and not all would fit inside tynie now anyway )

So as delia smith once said ! ! (not to us of course ) where are you ? ?

Edited by Macc the Jambo

Also the week-end of Chernobyl......

Great goal from Gary McKay. Otherwise a very nervy performance and we were all happy with just a win.

I had worked in the morning and was already reeling from a 5 pint lunchtime session in Thomsons in Morrison st.

I was up the back of the Gorgie end and spent much of the match kicking the corrugated Iron fence in frustration :down:

Geoff Kilpatrick

I love the way some are using this as an argument against an 18 team SPL. We were getting crowds of 7,000 odds for average league games earlier that season. If we got a crowd of 7,000 now for a league the board would be in meltdown!

Buffalo Bill

I love the way some are using this as an argument against an 18 team SPL. We were getting crowds of 7,000 odds for average league games earlier that season. If we got a crowd of 7,000 now for a league the board would be in meltdown!

If you look at the crowds for this period, especially 86/87 and 87/88, it's incredible how we would get 7,000 one week and 29,000 the next.

Edited by Buffalo Bill

Drylaw Hearts

Only 3 games at home that season we're under 10,000.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Only 3 games at home that season we're under 10,000.

Quite, and look at the way our attendances rocketed because we were competing. That's the point and that is what an 18 team league would engender.

If you look at the crowds for this period, especially 86/87 and 87/88, it's incredible how we would get 7,000 one week and 29,000 the next.

indeed BB. those were the days when the old firm really did bring enormous supports to our place. 10,000 or so capacity for the away end.

aberdeen brought about 250,000+ most times. 5000 buses parked up by malones slaughterhouse.

Buffalo Bill

indeed BB. those were the days when the old firm really did bring enormous supports to our place. 10,000 or so capacity for the away end.

aberdeen brought about 250,000+ most times. 5000 buses parked up by malones slaughterhouse.

Aberdeen fans, Chesser Avenue.

woodstock-crowd.jpg

One of my favourite Gary Mackay goals. Though he was really helped with the final bobble making the ball sit up.

It was such a shame when his confidence for going forward like that was destroyed by Joe Jordan making him play as a wing back. Gary had fantastic ability to burst into the box when he was younger.

Correct, a potentially great Hearts attacking midfielder was ruined.

As for the game itself a missed opportunity, we should have went out intent on hammering them but we were really nervy and ended up just playing for the 1-0 - a big big mistake.

The other factor to consider is that most people didn't have season tickets back then. It was nothing unusual for attendances to rocket for, say, an interesting Cup game (vs Dundee in the mid-70s is an example) only to be back down by about 50% the next week.

When we have talk of building a bigger stadium "and they will come", my mind always goes back to this game against Clydebank. The "House Full" signs should have been up on Gorgie Road by about 2.30pm that day. The last home hurrah for the team about to be champions and there was still room for thousands more inside the ground.

Edit: sorry, have just seen that The Treasurer has posted much the same above.

Edited by leginten

The other factor to consider is that most people didn't have season tickets back then. It was nothing unusual for attendances to rocket for, say, an interesting Cup game (vs Dundee in the mid-70s is an example) only to be back down by about 50% the next week.

When we have talk of building a bigger stadium "and they will come", my mind always goes back to this game against Clydebank. The "House Full" signs should have been up on Gorgie Road by about 2.30pm that day. The last home hurrah for the team about to be champions and there was still room for thousands more inside the ground.

spot on, on both counts.

there was a larger 'walk-up' element as opposed to season tickets, as you say. that's always bound to lead to people picking and choosing the games they attend.

regarding the crowds... the attendances at games like the clydebank one and some others that season kinda fly in the face of the estimated 45,000 'fans' we had at the cup final. you have to ask why it is that fair weather fans weren't coming to witness what would/should have been the club's finest achievement. it's not even as if it was particularly expensive to go to games. compared to the prices of today, it was significantly cheaper (even taking into account comparative earnings and costs of living).

there must have been some other reason why the ground wasn't bursting at the seams.

I can remember it was the game before that we played Clydebank,ended 1-1,that people were saying that could be the result that could stop us winning the league.

Silvery_Moon

I can remember it was the game before that we played Clydebank,ended 1-1,that people were saying that could be the result that could stop us winning the league.

yeah I was at that. We were losing till late on IIRC.

spot on, on both counts.

there was a larger 'walk-up' element as opposed to season tickets, as you say. that's always bound to lead to people picking and choosing the games they attend.

regarding the crowds... the attendances at games like the clydebank one and some others that season kinda fly in the face of the estimated 45,000 'fans' we had at the cup final. you have to ask why it is that fair weather fans weren't coming to witness what would/should have been the club's finest achievement. it's not even as if it was particularly expensive to go to games. compared to the prices of today, it was significantly cheaper (even taking into account comparative earnings and costs of living).

there must have been some other reason why the ground wasn't bursting at the seams.

anybody that went to games in those days will remember the lack of women compared to now and indeed kids. hearts at the time had the reputation for being the worst for football violence, even vastly out numbered at ibrox and parkhead we gave as good as we got and it wasn't pretty to watch. i would think this contributed greatly to the size of crowds going consistently to what could be a treacherous day out.

the country was also just coming out of a period when strikes and large unemployment were the name of the game, although it was cheaper for a game there still wasn't a lot of spare cash kicking about at the time.

Edited by reaths17

J.T.F.Robertson

Aberdeen. My first game, after coming back.

Jimmy the Jinx :(

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

• 9 years later...

That was my first Hearts match, I had flown over from Canada and was hoping we would wrap up the title at home which we really should have done! The bald headed Clydebank keeper (Gallacher?) stood on his head, we should have easily scored 4 or 5, leaving the match and heading to the pubs it was a weird feeling with some celebrating as if we were champions and others being a little more reserved with Celtic having won and yet to play St. Rollover! It was my long time dream to get to Tynecastle and it was just magical walking to the stadium seeing bus drivers with Hearts kits on, the anticipation was great! I still maintain that in hindsight this was the missed opportunity that cost us the title, perhaps if we did score 4 or 5 Celtic would have been allowed to score 9 or 10 against the cheats!

I think the game that mattered was the game vAberdeen 1-1 when I think a Jim Bett Handled the ball in our box but Valentine gave them the pen  does anyone agree 

Worthing Jambo
2 minutes ago, samgolden said:

I think the game that mattered was the game vAberdeen 1-1 when I think a Jim Bett Handled the ball in our box but Valentine gave them the pen  does anyone agree 

I think we all agree about Valentine😁

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2011 at 00:32, stirlingshirejambo said:

Nervous game is right.....whether the players were nervous and it transmitted to the crowd or the other way round, that's what I remember. Every time that Gerry McCabe picked up the ball in our half it felt like we were going to lose a goal.

Fantastic goal by Mackay and well received when it came anyway. A missed opportunity by us, but you could equally look at games we lost goals in the early part of the season as well.

Happy with the win that day and, naïvely (I was only 17, nearly 18), believed the title was won and just needed clinching.

Iirc, we were on course at half time that afternoon as Celtic were being held 0-0. That is just from memory so may not be accurate.

Haven't watched the link posted but did watch the highlights a few months back. A bit painful.

PS I checked. It was Celtic 0-0 Dundee at half time. Celtic won 2-0 but Mo Johnston only clinched it with the 2nd with 5 minutes left. We really were close to it that day.

Edited by martoon

4 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Nervous game is right.....whether the players were nervous and it transmitted to the crowd or the other way round, that's what I remember. Every time that Gerry McCabe picked up the ball in our half it felt like we were going to lose a goal.

Fantastic goal by Mackay and well received when it came anyway. A missed opportunity by us, but you could equally look at games we lost goals in the early part of the season as well.

It was almost like a sense of relief when he scored after so many being saved or missed, it almost seemed like it wasn't going to be our day and as you say the worry was they would score on the break! It was a great goal, I still have the Pink from that match!