bo'ness

Hood09

anyone know what b'ness is like to live there?

Trying to weigh up the misses and my next move and looking there for a four bed house or the new barratts development at preston pans amberlea.

Any views appreciated.

Don't, just don't. Seriously ... you'll regret it. Queensferry or Kirkliston are better options.

It's not brilliant, it's not terrible.

How do you/the wife get to work? No train station etc...

Its a five minute drive to Linlithgow train station.

I don't stay there but spent time playing snooker/fighting in my teens there, I have a mate that stays in the Drum area, there's nothing there, you need a car to go anywhere or everywhere or it's a 30 min walk down to the town. Like somebody says it's a 5 min drive to Linlithgow station BUT given the train has just come from Glasgow and picked up at every stop you need to get the early early train to get on. The bus from Edinburgh is once is the morning and once at night, girl from the work gets it and it goes through Kirkliston/Winchburgh etc.

I appreciate this isn't the right thread, but just seeing the name Bo'ness reminded me to ask what the apostrophe stands for. i.e. what's missing from the name?

J.T.F.Robertson

I appreciate this isn't the right thread, but just seeing the name Bo'ness reminded me to ask what the apostrophe stands for. i.e. what's missing from the name?

"ring"?

Cheers folks - JKB...more answers than Wikipedia :D

Now, back on topic.

Afraid I can't help in the slightest as I've never even been there.

Loathe as I am it has to be the Pans M8 .For a starter your house will have been built by one of my sons,you,re 2 mins from the railway station (11mins from Waverley)Good Hearts supporters club,great coastline and no very far fi Turnent SORTED

Bo,ness just dont :whistling:

I believe its full name is Borrowstounness - that's why there's an apostrophe

Is that because they couldn't afford to buy him.

I know rangers are pretty poor.....................

I've only been there once - visting a care home with my work. The place was full of people wandering about not knowing what day of the week it was and the place smelt of shit.

The care home wasn't much better.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

The Land that Time Forgot

See also Denny, Alloa, Blackridge etc etc etc

I've lived in Bo'ness for 12 years. Nothing wrong with it. It's quiet, it's right on the M9, the house prices are a lot more sensible than Linlithgow and they've held their value over the past 3 years. The schools are okay, the Academy has really improved over the past 5 years. I don't like the pubs much, I'll give you that, but there's a couple I'd use. There's lots of parks, more green space than just about anywhere, because much of the town is undermined.

As I said, I've lived here 12 years, I'm bringing up 3 kids here and I've never regretted it once. And that's coming from a Lithgae boy! (Ok I'd rather live in Linlithgow, but house prices dictate Bo'ness!)

Chris Benoit

I'll second Denny, a late night call out there is always interesting :(

anyone know what b'ness is like to live there?

Trying to weigh up the misses and my next move and looking there for a four bed house or the new barratts development at preston pans amberlea.

Any views appreciated.

I was brought up in Bo'ness, although I've live in Glasgow for the past 5 years, my mum and dad still stay in the town. It's a nice place to live, there are a lot of nice houses and it is within easy comuting distance of both Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Socially it is very quiet, most of the pubs aren't worth bothering with and the Newton bar in particular is best avoided. The Richmond Park Hotel was re-furbished a couple of years ago and is a reasonable bar to have some lunch and a quiet drink in. Most people tend to go out in Linlithgow (5 mins taxi away), Falkirk (15mins) or Edinburgh. For a town of it's size, the shops on offer are pretty poor with only really a Tesco and a Boots in terms of major chain stores. There are however a number of small independent shops, some of which are reasonable.

From a footballing perspective, the town is predominantly Rangers (as most towns in West Lothian are), however I would say that Hearts are easily the 2nd biggest supported team, I certainly know several season ticket holders from the town and a fair few folk post on here. Bo'ness United, the local junior team, are one of the biggest and most successful junior teams in Scotland.

Overall I would say it is a decent place to live and in terms of value for money offers better value than most of the nearby towns.

You forgot the king of them all. Slamannan. I had the pleasure of working in this hovel recently and For anyone (I'd imagine most) that hasn't visited this place, don't.

985463_cd46b0b7.jpg

They had big plans to regenerate Boness, but they were put on hold due to the financial crisis.

http://www.falkirkonline.net/For%20Residents/Community/town_centres_strategy/boness_pdfs/Bo%60ness%20Development%20Brief.pdf

For those of us who lived in the right side of West Lothian (over the hill), it has always been affectionately known as " Dirty Boness"

You forgot the king of them all. Slamannan. I had the pleasure of working in this hovel recently and For anyone (I'd imagine most) that hasn't visited this place, don't.

985463_cd46b0b7.jpg

Oucha, where's that ... is it in the Falkirk area ...

They had big plans to regenerate Boness, but they were put on hold due to the financial crisis.

http://www.falkirkonline.net/For%20Residents/Community/town_centres_strategy/boness_pdfs/Bo%60ness%20Development%20Brief.pdf

For those of us who lived in the right side of West Lothian (over the hill), it has always been affectionately known as " Dirty Boness"

A lot of the new housing was built, but the promised waterfront development never materialised. Anyway, I thought it was Bo'yuck that you guys referred to Bo'ness by? :teehee:

A lot of the new housing was built, but the promised waterfront development never materialised. Anyway, I thought it was Bo'yuck that you guys referred to Bo'ness by? :teehee:

It was Dirty Boness and Falkirk Bus Stop. :smiliz64:

But I have a very good friend who still lives there and have enjoyed many an intimate party at her house. I love Boness!!

so east lothian then and the barrats development?

Trying to get a 4 bed for 300k in a decent area.

It depends on what you are looking for chief, Bo'ness has a lot to recommend it in terms of affordability, quality of housing and location. It is however very quiet in a social sense and the amenities are poor for a town of it's size.

Oucha, where's that ... is it in the Falkirk area ...

It's in-between Airdrie and Falkirk. It's that bad they put the unwanted's from Falkirk and Airdrie into it. In the hour I was working there 3 people passed the house. Every one of them was a junkie with some kind of illegal dog. Just horrible.

There's a couple winching up a yett in Linlithgow.

"Kiss me, kiss me", she says, so he kisses her.

"Kiss me harder, kiss me harder", she says, so he kisses her harder.

"Kiss me where it's dark and smelly", so he takes her to Bo'ness.

Wee Lithgae joke there for you... Bo'ness has an industrial past, mining and steel works, saw mills and railway. But it's pretty much all defunct now, like all of central Scotland what little industry is left is almost irrelevant.

But it's a good place to live, you've got to live somewhere and Bo'ness is better than most imho. I've lived here 12 years, never had a neighbour broken into, known of a car being stolen, seen any major vandalism. (There was a wee spate of bins getting set on fire a couple of years ago, but that's all I can think of)

I live less than five minutes walk from Kinneil woods, a sprawling mix of parks, fields and woodland, open to the public, lovely walks, great for a kick about with the kids, safe and well maintained. There's also the remains of an abandoned settlement, a Roman fortlet and a chunk of the Antonine Wall if you're a history buff. And the hut that James Watt developed his steam engine in.

http://kinneil.wordpress.com/

Bo'ness also has the oldest cinema in Scotland, The Hippodrome, recently refurbished, it's beautiful. It is to multiplexes as fine dining is to McDonalds.

The Bo' is cool man!

Commander Harris

Church Wynd in Bo'Ness reminded me of San Fracisco's Lombard Street.

street.jpg

or the Serpintine road in Rothesay.

003510_f993e82a.jpg

Buffalo Bill

That's some size of a Belhaven sign on the lum-head :lol:

I think that is one of the many UFOs they often get hovering in the area.

Horatio Caine

Mrs Caine and I are selling her mother's house in Bo'ness - detached three bedroom, very reasonable price, good condition, great garden. and, from what The Doctor says, not far from where he is. :-)

Loathe as I am it has to be the Pans M8 .For a starter your house will have been built by one of my sons,you,re 2 mins from the railway station (11mins from Waverley)Good Hearts supporters club,great coastline and no very far fi Turnent SORTED

Bo,ness just dont :whistling:

No decent pubs for eating or drinking in within the Pan's. The Goth is allright but very quiet (good for food though) so I have started going to the Labour Club.

I think that is one of the many UFOs they often get hovering in the area.

The UFO's stop there for a pish on their way home from Bonnybridge

Radioactive Mince

I got fired in about a bird from Bo'ness when I was younger. Fairly rough place - I could fully understand why she was such a radge (says the boy dragged up in Rosyth :rolleyes:).

That was ten years ago, mind you. Dunno what it's like now. I do know that there's a lovely view of Torry Bay from the waterfront :whistling:

Born and bred in Bo'ness. Family still live there.

Unlike many of the surrounding commuter scheme's, It has remained loyal to it's heritage.

For what it's worth, I think that will help in these troubled times.

The people who live there don't pretend to be something they're not and are happy with their lot.

Glad to hear the Academy is improving. It was headcase central in the 70's.

most famous footballing son....the one and only DONALD FORD (BUFC 1950's)

Over the Flints however...........fur coats, nae knickers and a wannabe conservative consituency.

Archived