Hearts vs Spurs 13/08/1990

Vlad-Stupid

My first Hearts game at Tynie. A week before my 10th birthday, i talked my dad in to taking me to see Gazza and Lineker. I was a huge fan of Lineker for reasons i cant remember but it must have been due to Italia 90 that year. Up until then, i didnt support a team but was football daft, mum and dad are massive Celtic fans but i was just never interested (thank god!). My dad had taken me to most of the U16 world cup games at Tynie the year before so i was looking forward to going back. We sat in the main stand and the atmosphere was brilliant, im pretty sure there was still terracing at one or maybe both of the ends but i cant really remember. I recall being pretty gutted when we left as Spurs had equalised in the second half which was weird considering i went to support Spurs! My dad says i told him on the way home that i was now a Hearts fan and thankfully i've never looked backthumbsup.gif. There's something about Tynecastle I felt as a young boy, and i still get those feelings every time i walk through the turnstiles. Unfortunately i wasn't born a jambo but i'd just like to thank Gary Lineker for bringing me and the famous Heart of Midlothian together!biggrin.gif

Anyone else have any memories of this friendly? Or any other games that confirmed your everlasting love for the JT's?

Justin Edinburgh scored for them, it was heaving and Hearts claimed there was about 20,000 try nearer 30K IMO.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Foster scored a peach that day, went past (I think) Gary Mabbut & Gary Stephens (the Sky one, not ex-Hun) & from the edge of the box curled a shot past Thorsvedt into the top left corner.

Gazza got it tight all game, but went off to a huge ovation. Pretty sure he ran up to the shed and applauded the fans (he may also have thrown his top to the fans - a wee bit sketchy on that). Also, wasn't he making merchant banker gestures behind the ref's back? Seem to remember the Hearts fans liking that.

Justin Edinburgh scored for them, it was heaving and Hearts claimed there was about 20,000 try nearer 30K IMO.

Not sure about that. I was in the Gorgie Road End and I don't remember it being that rammed.

Gazza got booked for nothing by a ref trying to make a name for himself though. Pathetic stuff.

Not sure about that. I was in the Gorgie Road End and I don't remember it being that rammed.

Gazza got booked for nothing by a ref trying to make a name for himself though. Pathetic stuff.

The school end and shed were mobbed.

This was also my first game in watching Hearts too....sat in the main stand and remember looking down and seeing all the fans in the terracing in the school end...

Also met Andy Roxbourgh (was the current scotland manager) in the chippy after the game and got his autograph too....

Foster scored a peach that day, went past (I think) Gary Mabbut & Gary Stephens (the Sky one, not ex-Hun) & from the edge of the box curled a shot past Thorsvedt into the top left corner.

Gazza got it tight all game, but went off to a huge ovation. Pretty sure he ran up to the shed and applauded the fans (he may also have thrown his top to the fans - a wee bit sketchy on that). Also, wasn't he making merchant banker gestures behind the ref's back? Seem to remember the Hearts fans liking that.

All you say here is correct, remember this game well, dunno why, was in the main stand for the game ,very unusual for me , would have normally been just outside the shed or in it,was hardly ever in the stand and its feckin annoying that this game sticks out for me and I still cant remember who I was with or why I was in the stand.

Dalstonjambo

My first Hearts game at Tynie. A week before my 10th birthday, i talked my dad in to taking me to see Gazza and Lineker. I was a huge fan of Lineker for reasons i cant remember but it must have been due to Italia 90 that year. Up until then, i didnt support a team but was football daft, mum and dad are massive Celtic fans but i was just never interested (thank god!). My dad had taken me to most of the U16 world cup games at Tynie the year before so i was looking forward to going back. We sat in the main stand and the atmosphere was brilliant, im pretty sure there was still terracing at one or maybe both of the ends but i cant really remember. I recall being pretty gutted when we left as Spurs had equalised in the second half which was weird considering i went to support Spurs! My dad says i told him on the way home that i was now a Hearts fan and thankfully i've never looked backthumbsup.gif. There's something about Tynecastle I felt as a young boy, and i still get those feelings every time i walk through the turnstiles. Unfortunately i wasn't born a jambo but i'd just like to thank Gary Lineker for bringing me and the famous Heart of Midlothian together!biggrin.gif

Anyone else have any memories of this friendly? Or any other games that confirmed your everlasting love for the JT's?

My first game too! We came back up to scotland to visit relatives (not long moved down south), and my grandpa took me along to this game. Not sure what my dad was more annoyed about, that he missed taking his 4 year old son to his first game, or that he missed the game at all.

The game was mobbed.

Me and the old man payed to get in the school end and because it was so full they started taking fans up the track in front of the dug out and put them in the gorgie road end. Madness

Was it not David Howells who scored for spurs??

Seemed like more.

Mercer's 'creative' counting at work I think - it was rammed that night. I just mind it being a good game (for a friendly), Gazza being outstanding, getting it tight the whole game, having a laugh back and then getting applauded off by the Hearts fans.

Remember the game was sat on the barrier leading to the bathroom in the school end, the Shed was amazing and funnily enough its one scene I will always remember when a Hearts fan threw a mars bar at Gazza, he picked it up and ate it.

Was a fantastic atmosphere Gazza and Lineker.

Honestly can't remember much of the game except that incident.

Guessing if Dave McCreery was playing that would be the season we got gubbed 7-0 at brockville?

Seemed like more.

I thought that at the time.

There was no way you could have squeezed another 11k in at the time

Johanes de Silentio

Guessing if Dave McCreery was playing that would be the season we got gubbed 7-0 at brockville?

6-0 - bad enough!

This was also my first game in watching Hearts too....sat in the main stand and remember looking down and seeing all the fans in the terracing in the school end...

Also met Andy Roxbourgh (was the current scotland manager) in the chippy after the game and got his autograph too....

Thats nuts i seen him on gorgie road too, must have been waiting for a lift as it was a wee bit after the game.

We were in the old family enclosure right next to the tunnel and my very vague memories of that night are that it was an excellent game for a friendly,

touching gazzas head as he ran out and Eammon Bannon being the best player on the park??????

Remember the Newcastle United game in 1995 when they had just signed Shaky Hislop. It was an evening game and I can't remember Tynecastle being warmer; the North Stand was like a sauna. :sweat:

Serj Tankian

Great game was in old enclosure hordes were taken down the trackside well into the game into the Gorgie Road end .The club had this booked up for ages and the gamble came well due to the antics of gazza and lineker at italia 90.David Badiell used to speak about this game on Fantasy Football .

I remember this game as well, me and my brother were in the the shed.

Me and him got separated, next thing I turn around he is being led along trackside by a policeman.

Luckily the policeman was from the pans and was taking him to my old man.

Thats all I mind about the game plus gazza and Lineker playing

Bert Le Clos

Also my first Hearts game. 6 years old, can barely remember the game.

Unfortunately my most vivid memories are getting lost from my Dad and thinking the Tynecastle toilets were the smelliest I'd ever smelled!

Remember the Newcastle United game in 1995 when they had just signed Shaky Hislop. It was an evening game and I can't remember Tynecastle being warmer; the North Stand was like a sauna. :sweat:

Peter Beardsley scored a great diving header that game iirc

Carl Fredrickson

Peter Beardsley scored a great diving header that game iirc

For a 1-0 defeat I thought it was an entertaining game.

Hislop wasnt playing, though he had just signed for them. We had a corner that resulted on Beardsley clearing a shot/header from his own line. As it was cleared and Newcastle attacked, he ran the full length of the pitch and scored.

No, he was pretending to drink a pint then stagger about behind the ref, he was magic that day - he ran the show and got a standing ovation from us at the end.

Remember the game was sat on the barrier leading to the bathroom in the school end, the Shed was amazing and funnily enough its one scene I will always remember when a Hearts fan threw a mars bar at Gazza, he picked it up and ate it.

Was a fantastic atmosphere Gazza and Lineker.

Honestly can't remember much of the game except that incident.

Don't remember a 7-0 defeat, unless it's unsurprisingly left my memory bank for good! Was it a pre-season friendly? We lost 6-0 at Brockville in 1993, Jordan got sacked the Monday after. McCreery signed for us in Sept '89 from Sundsvall in Sweden and left in 1991 for Hartlepool Utd.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Gazza where's yer hanky

Gazza where's yer hanky

Na na na na

Na na na na

Good times :thumbsup:

Don't remember a 7-0 defeat, unless it's unsurprisingly left my memory bank for good! Was it a pre-season friendly? We lost 6-0 at Brockville in 1993, Jordan got sacked the Monday after. McCreery signed for us in Sept '89 from Sundsvall in Sweden and left in 1991 for Hartlepool Utd.

Your quite right just checked was the 6-0 in 93, Alan Mclaren was still with us then.

Here is the video if you want a painful reminder.

Cant be ersed checking so was this the only time Gazza would have been here for Spurs?

Never been a fan of friendlies as they are usually neither competitive nor particularly entertaining !

However that was a different story with Gazza playing to the crowd the game I was at

I seem to recall him trying to do a bit trickery but almost tripping over the ball instead...........cue Gazza

laughing out loud at himself for making a **** of it :D

• 7 months later...
Denny Crane

Roxburgh was probably grateful that someone still wanted to talk to him after that summer's World Cup.

Speaking of Hearts/Spurs friendlies, anyone remember the 2-2 draw at Tynie back in 1999? We came back from 2-0 down with Lee Makel hitting a superb free-kick. Was also the day when it dawned that Jose Quitongo was not going to make the way Sol Campbell kept swatting him off like a fly.

lost in leith

First memory of that game is leaving Ryrie's and my mate (norf landan Jewish by birth, converted to the Jambo cause over many a drunken night) bellowing "Come on ye Yids!!" at the top of his voice.

Second memory is looking at the crowd heading up Dalry Road and thinking this would be a cut above the normal pre-season dross.

Third memory is super Wayne's goal, which might well have been in the top 10 had he scored it in the World Cup :sweat:

Final memory is great banter between Gazza and the shed.

Was in Gorgie Rd End with Spurs matea....good day and night!!!

Archived