THIS IS A CALL TO ALL JAMBOS

bigsuperslim1874

bigsuperslim1874

I know this sounds ridiculous....

But with Celtic winning the OF game the destiny of the SPL title is now in our own hands.

At this stage of the season you really can't ask for much more.

Listening to Richard Gordon asking the pundits about Uncle Walters comment about it being a 3 horse race and if we were really contenders. Gordon Smith said outright no, mentioned we had done well so far but Celtic's win made them favourites for the title and then prattled on for then next few mins about Celtic and their team/squad meaning Richard Gordon couldn't ask anyone else as they had to go to the game. :angry:

It's twats like that that REALLY make me hope that we can do it. Bleating about the staleness of the league and as soon as someone comes along to remotely threaten the status quo they start freaking out.

Ringpieces the lot of them. :angry:

Listening to Richard Gordon asking the pundits about Uncle Walters comment about it being a 3 horse race and if we were really contenders. Gordon Smith said outright no, mentioned we had done well so far but Celtic's win made them favourites for the title and then prattled on for then next few mins about Celtic and their team/squad meaning Richard Gordon couldn't ask anyone else as they had to go to the game. :angry:

It's twats like that that REALLY make me hope that we can do it. Bleating about the staleness of the league and as soon as someone comes along to remotely threaten the status quo they start freaking out.

Ringpieces the lot of them. :angry:

I'm quite happy for them to not talk us up right now. It will only put pressure on the players.

Let them talk about us if we are still in touch at the split or if we win all our games this month.

bigsuperslim1874

I'm quite happy for them to not talk us up right now. It will only put pressure on the players.

Let them talk about us if we are still in touch at the split or if we win all our games this month.

Yeah, I know what your saying but it doesn't stop my blood from boiling though. Blatant dismissing of us just makes me annoyed - if someone has a reasoned argument as to why we can't then thats fair enough I can accept they have an opinion but that tit Gordon Smith didn't even have that.

I do agree that its a big month for us - the supporters MUST get behind the team. Home and away AND in numbers and vocally.

I don't think we will win the league, we certainly do have a chance of splitting them. I'd say in order to do that though we'll need to beat Rangers twice in the next two encounters. 2nd would be great, and possibly long term beneficial. Rangers 3rd, Walter gone, relatively untested McCoist at the helm with little in the way of cash. Hearts 2nd, with a greater chance of European qualification to group stages than Rangers. No group football for Rangers will mean less chance of a big buyer. This could be the moment that the SPL has waited for, a decline in one of the Old Firm to make it more open in the league. Next season they'll be a thread bare side with a lot of youth. This season should be viewed as a spring board to better things. We have a lot of key players on long term deals, so we could be even stronger next season, and if Rangers do not get their sugar-daddy investor, then I think we could be seeing the opening up of the league. A long shot yes, but slightly more likely now.

On this season... Well I'll take 3rd spot, about 6 points behind 1st, and the Scottish Cup. I think we definitely have the squad there to mount a serious challenge there.

Yep, if we win at Rugby park, parkhead and Ibrox they will talk about us having a chance to win the league.

I believe we can do something special this season.

We are grinding out results, but also we are steamrolling teams, you look at celtic and rangers in all the years theybe won the title, and they have done both of these very well. Just look at our last 3 away games: st johnstone, motherwell and st mirren. Never played well in these games, but we ground out the win with determined, steely performances. And look at our 4-0 win at hamilton and our 5-0 win against aberdeen, we demolished them. I know they are poor teams this season, but in past seasons we would score a couple and then sit back, not this season. We have also steamrolled hibs twice, and celtic at tynie. We are winning the scrappy games this season when in past seasons we would draw or lose.

We have a solid defence. Ruben, bouzheed, zal and jonsson have been irreplaceable this season, and we still have trigger to come back. Only 15 SPL goals conceded this season in 19 games, with 10 clean sheets. Says it all. Keep this defence solid and we will continue to keep clean sheets and concede few goals. Kello is on top form and we have reliable back up in Macdonald and Balogh.

the next 6 games could define our season.

Dundee United (a)

Kilmarnock (a)

Rangers (h)

Celtic (a)

St Johnstone (h)

Rangers (a)

we should beat dundee united and st j, avoid defeat at killie at least, and if we take 4 points off the old firm that will lead to a tally of 11-13 points from 18. This is easier said than done but our away form is great and we have the players to do it.

dont care what the media, the hobos or the OF say, BELIEVE. we can do it.

kennyblack'sshot

Yeah, I know what your saying but it doesn't stop my blood from boiling though. Blatant dismissing of us just makes me annoyed - if someone has a reasoned argument as to why we can't then thats fair enough I can accept they have an opinion but that tit Gordon Smith didn't even have that.

I do agree that its a big month for us - the supporters MUST get behind the team. Home and away AND in numbers and vocally.

Hearts fans have been great over the last 5 or so years when it would have been easy at times to get disillusioned with Romanov's antics. I'd like to see the club reward fans and boost any sort of title challenge by reducing ticket prices (even just by a couple of quid) for the rest of the season to try to get as big crowds as possible. Ticket prices is one of the problems in the SPL and Hearts should take the lead by cutting prices. I honestly think it would lead to bigger attendances which would cover any potential loss.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

We have no chance this season.

We will become the team in Scotland that everybody wants to beat.

We have already seen the Vermin come to Tynecastle and stick 10 behind the ball. Other teams will follow and as is the norm, pretty much write off 3 points against the Bigots.

Had we started the season on a par with the Bigots then I'm convinced we would have been able to compete.

kennyblack'sshot

We have already seen the Vermin come to Tynecastle and stick 10 behind the ball. Other teams will follow and as is the norm, pretty much write off 3 points against the Bigots.

Had we started the season on a par with the Bigots then I'm convinced we would have been able to compete.

I kind of agree and the next four games are crucial but I do think we have a decent chance of second at least as we seem to be building the same kind of momentum we had in seasons like 85/86 and 05/06 when everyone at the club - fans, players, manager, board.. were pulling in the same direction and there was belief in the squad. I think that kind of momentum if we can maintain it is the key to a successful challenge and I think we're the only club in the league that has it just now. I don't think we have to worry about losing players in the transfer window and even if we don't sign anyone the return of Wallace and Driver could be huge.

bigsuperslim1874

The vermin DID put 10 men behind the ball but it didn't do them any good - we still scored (eventually). We now have enough players in our squad to unlock the stuffy teams (Rudi/Temps/Novi from a skill point of view and Kyle from a aerial point of view). ICT have been the only team to manage to stop us getting all 3 points on this run and that was when they were on their own incredible run (even Butcher admitted it was the 'Siege of Tynecastle').

I personally think we can take points from the uglies away from home and that will be key - time will tell.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

The vermin DID put 10 men behind the ball but it didn't do them any good - we still scored (eventually). We now have enough players in our squad to unlock the stuffy teams (Rudi/Temps/Novi from a skill point of view and Kyle from a aerial point of view). ICT have been the only team to manage to stop us getting all 3 points on this run and that was when they were on their own incredible run (even Butcher admitted it was the 'Siege of Tynecastle').

I personally think we can take points from the uglies away from home and that will be key - time will tell.

I think we will take points away from the bigots, I don't think other teams will feel the need though.

I agree that the Old firm are there for the taking. The thing is though, its not just about who has the better players, its about who handles the big occassion better.

The key IMO is our three games in the next few weeks against the Old Firm - Rangers at home, Celtic away then Rangers away. If we have any aspirations of finishing above third we need a minimum of 4 points from those three games.

Buffalo Bill

We're in a better position to challenge for the title now than we were at 2:30 pm on 01/01/2006.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/ltab/20060101.html

While that year we dropped away from Celtic and just pipped Rangers to second that team was on the slide by then.

This year we've got:

A settled, happy team.

A strong manager.

The best form in the league.

Fans starting to believe something big is possible.

Rangers squad looking thin.

Lennon in charge at Celtic.

Personally I'm hoping for the best whilst expecting the worst -- but it's worth remembering the above.

This is a very thought-provoking post.

We remember 05/06 as a great season when we made a title charge but in effect, it was all over by Jan 1st although we had 2nd and 'the Champions League dream' to hold on to.

The other thing to remember about 05/06 was that it was also in January (or early February) that the Scottish Cup really opened up for us with the early exits of Celtic and Rangers, so in effect, our season continued from there.

This season is different. We are aleady behind. But this time we are gaining, and this time no one expected it from us around Aug/Sep time.

Interesting, Dave. Interesting.

We remember 05/06 as a great season when we made a title charge but in effect, it was all over by Jan 1st although we had 2nd and 'the Champions League dream' to hold on to.

The other thing to remember about 05/06 was that it was also in January (or early February) that the Scottish Cup really opened up for us with the early exits of Celtic and Rangers, so in effect, our season continued from there.

This season is different. We are aleady behind. But this time we are gaining, and this time no one expected it from us around Aug/Sep time.

05/06 was like a dream and sometimes a soap opera.

This year feels very real but the players are unproven so it is harder for me to predict what the second half of the season will bring.

It's :pleasing: to know that JJ has been here already in 97/98 and so can guide the players. Kyle and 2 t's come across as players who can cope with the pressure too.

I think that is probably the key point - in many ways our situation at the moment is probably more comparable to 1986 than 2006. We're not the classic early season challanger who starts falling away around Christmas time - on the contrary, we seem to be building momentum around the right time.

The other big difference is that Jim Jefferies is a far better manager than Rix will ever be.

The upcoming games against the Old Firm are the key IMO.

rab obanheartsno1

i watched the game in a pub full of huns went for a slash as you do and the first person i bumped into was a hibee you couldnt make it up what a weekend

bigsuperslim1874

I think that is probably the key point - in many ways our situation at the moment is probably more comparable to 1986 than 2006. We're not the classic early season challanger who starts falling away around Christmas time - on the contrary, we seem to be building momentum around the right time.

The other big difference is that Jim Jefferies is a far better manager than Rix will ever be.

The upcoming games against the Old Firm are the key IMO.

Agreed. Its not a case of ability but more to do with mentality when it comes to our games against the uglies. As i said in my initial post, based on the Old Firm game, we have nothing to fear - we just have to have the bottle.

Tommy Wiseau

Can I just add a little nugget of info I stumbled on earlier, please?

I can? Thanks.

After we went to Celtic Park for the fourth game of the season, we were further off the top of the league than we are now. Unless Rangers win both their games in hand, we'll have been the best side in the league for a full 15 games.

Any stat geeks able to tell me when the last time that happened was?

jamboolood1874

Can I just add a little nugget of info I stumbled on earlier, please?

I can? Thanks.

After we went to Celtic Park for the fourth game of the season, we were further off the top of the league than we are now. Unless Rangers win both their games in hand, we'll have been the best side in the league for a full 15 games.

Any stat geeks able to tell me when the last time that happened was?

is one of rangers games in hand not against us :whistling:

CavySlaveJambo

is one of rangers games in hand not against us :whistling:

No. that is the game in hand over Inverness.

One is v Dundee Utd, One v St Mirren, One v St Johnstone

bigsuperslim1874

Based on the Old Firm game and watching the Celtic game just now, the league is ours if we really want it. If ever we had to 'believe' then now is the time. We have to support the team in numbers and i for one will be going the extra mile to find the money to get to some away games over the coming month - the biggest run of games in recent history.

Believe!!!

Based on the Old Firm game and watching the Celtic game just now, the league is ours if we really want it. If ever we had to 'believe' then now is the time. We have to support the team in numbers and i for one will be going the extra mile to find the money to get to some away games over the coming month - the biggest run of games in recent history.

Believe!!!

Too many frightened to grow a pair mate and believe. I was in discussion with a couple of Old Firm friends on a night out pre- New Year and they agreed the ONLY thing stopping Hearts would be falling short on mentality.

The Old Firm will ALWAYS have it no matter how sh ite they are or will ever be but imo theres not much between us and them talent wise...just feckin be strong when the business end comes.

Go to Ibrox and Darkhead and WIN. Don`t go there thinking. "oh well, we`re on this good run and the fans are happy, they won`t be too angry if we slip up at Ibrox today".....WANT IT...go there and show to the country we are the real deal and pump them on their patch and send the message out....

We`ve beat them through there(esp Parkhead) with weaker teams.

Too many frightened to grow a pair mate and believe. I was in discussion with a couple of Old Firm friends on a night out pre- New Year and they agreed the ONLY thing stopping Hearts would be falling short on mentality.

The Old Firm will ALWAYS have it no matter how sh ite they are or will ever be but imo theres not much between us and them talent wise...just feckin be strong when the business end comes.

Go to Ibrox and Darkhead and WIN. Don`t go there thinking. "oh well, we`re on this good run and the fans are happy, they won`t be too angry if we slip up at Ibrox today".....WANT IT...go there and show to the country we are the real deal and pump them on their patch and send the message out....

we often seem to bet celtic at parkhed but for some reasom we never seem to turn up at ibrox(p.s i could be wrong statistically i dont know)

we often seem to beat celtic at parkhed but for some reasom we never seem to turn up at ibrox(p.s i could be wrong statistically i dont know)

bigsuperslim1874

Agree with every point. I said elsewhere on this post that we are every bit as good if not better skillwise than the uglies but the only concern is if we have the bottle. If it is a case of instilling the bottle/belief then we have the perfect management team in place to do this.

Anyone - players or fans who think we cant do this - should just pack it in.

Agree with every point. I said elsewhere on this post that we are every bit as good if not better skillwise than the uglies but the only concern is if we have the bottle. If it is a case of instilling the bottle/belief then we have the perfect management team in place to do this.

Anyone - players or fans who think we cant do this - should just pack it in.

Exactly, otherwise whats the point in it all? I sometimes think alot of fans are frightened to be let down, too scared to almost be at another, dare i say it, 1986 scenario if it ever came to it.

I sure as hell know i`d rather be in with a shout than be mid-table pash doing nothing. All the failures of Hearts in the past have had a positive.

A positive in that we can at least turnaround to Hobos etc... and say we`ve been close, we`ve at least challenged. These times are in our history and play a part in making Hearts fans believe we may do it one day. If we had been nowhere we wouldn`t have the standards we expect now or are producing.

At this time i feel proud of Hearts. All the memories of success and near misses are at the back of my mind all the time but its those times that make me believe;

bigsuperslim1874

Exactly, otherwise whats the point in it all? I sometimes think alot of fans are frightened to be let down, too scared to almost be at another, dare i say it, 1986 scenario if it ever came to it.

I sure as hell know i`d rather be in with a shout than be mid-table pash doing nothing. All the failures of Hearts in the past have had a positive.

A positive in that we can at least turnaround to Hobos etc... and say we`ve been close, we`ve at least challenged. These times are in our history and play a part in making Hearts fans believe we may do it one day. If we had been nowhere we wouldn`t have the standards we expect now or are producing.

At this time i feel proud of Hearts. All the memories of success and near misses are at the back of my mind all the time but its those times that make me believe;

Well said - lets hope we support the team in strong numbers over the next month and show that we do believe in them.

Victor Meldrew

This is going to sound odd, but bear with me.

In a way, I think having had a poor start to the season might work in our favour. How so?

Well, in previous years teams that have run the OF close(ish) have done so based on a great start and then tailed off. We did that in 2005-06 and it was similar for Hibs last year - They were certainly relatively close until early in the New Year. The OF basically keep going longer and build up a cushion which means that the pressure is off them to the extent that they are only looking at each other and not the rest of the league.

This time, we have made significant ground up on them, and that psychologically is quite important - remember when people were talking about the OF running away with the league? Well, they aren't now, and it means that they are having to look over their shoulders as well. I think that's a good thing for us.

I remember that in 1985-86 we suffered from being the front runners for so long - Celtic came with a late charge and were pretty much under the radar - we were all worried about Dundee Utd, and that's why we thought we'd sorted the league by winning 3-0 at Tannadice

This is going to sound odd, but bear with me.

In a way, I think having had a poor start to the season might work in our favour. How so?

Well, in previous years teams that have run the OF close(ish) have done so based on a great start and then tailed off. We did that in 2005-06 and it was similar for Hibs last year - They were certainly relatively close until early in the New Year. The OF basically keep going longer and build up a cushion which means that the pressure is off them to the extent that they are only looking at each other and not the rest of the league.

This time, we have made significant ground up on them, and that psychologically is quite important - remember when people were talking about the OF running away with the league? Well, they aren't now, and it means that they are having to look over their shoulders as well. I think that's a good thing for us.

I remember that in 1985-86 we suffered from being the front runners for so long - Celtic came with a late charge and were pretty much under the radar - we were all worried about Dundee Utd, and that's why we thought we'd sorted the league by winning 3-0 at Tannadice

But Vic, we started slow in 86 did we not? In fact, wasn`t it pointed out our current run started around the same numbers of games played back then?

I know we got to the top of the table earlier back then, so i see yer point there, but even at that it took alot of bottle to stay there. I don`t know whats better? being around 6,7 points behind now or being ahead or closer?

There`s the danger we take too long to try and close the gap and eventually we lose further ground. On that basis i`d rather get closer soon as possible and that means we need to keep up a good level of form and also rely on them having awee dip. What it also means, and i think its important, is we do take something in Glasgow in the coming games.

People say just beat the rest, but its a different scenario at the moment.

bigsuperslim1874

But Vic, we started slow in 86 did we not? In fact, wasn`t it pointed out our current run started around the same numbers of games played back then?

I know we got to the top of the table earlier back then, so i see yer point there, but even at that it took alot of bottle to stay there. I don`t know whats better? being around 6,7 points behind now or being ahead or closer?

There`s the danger we take too long to try and close the gap and eventually we lose further ground. On that basis i`d rather get closer soon as possible and that means we need to keep up a good level of form and also rely on them having awee dip. What it also means, and i think its important, is we do take something in Glasgow in the coming games.

People say just beat the rest, but its a different scenario at the moment.

Going to the weeg and taking points is massive. I am looking forward to seeing how killie do tomorrow at ipox albiet in the cup.

What we must not do is take our eye off the next game - in this case Utd which will be bloody tough.

Archived