Allan Wells - hero

Therapist

Perth to Paisley

Allan is a few years older and me but when I was a lad I went with a friend Alex who's Dad Hamish was a coach at Edinburgh Southern Harriers in Fernieside. Allan was just decent club athlete doing long jump at the time. Spent ages trying to perfect his 'take off with the Watters brothers.'

Many a good night was had at the old broken down clubhouse. I was never going to be any good, especially when my interest was diverted runningafter the female form. Happy days; especially when Helen Golden was at the club rooms!

Also at ESH at that time was Chris Black the Hammer Thrower who went to become a British Internationalist and the recently deceased Brain Kerr.

A real pity about Meadowbank but at least the Fernieside Crescent street names are still in gold letters!

I he met Allan again fairly recently when he opened the new Sports Hall at Liberton we had a brief chat about the early ESH days - without the coaches like Hamish Robertson he would have been just a good guy and not the legend he is today.

From the broken down clubrooms in Fernieside to [drug free] Olympic glory is a journey he is rightly very proud of.

perth to paisley, you might know mu uncle in that case.

both my mum & uncle were in the harriers team, dick and christine russell

if you are a litle older than alan then perhaps not as they were a little younger, but in the same teams.

edited, you are YOUNGER than AW so you may well know

actually, my uncle dick beat him a few times in the sprints (apparently)

Any Edinburgh athlete who has achieved so much is a legend. Does anyone have a conttact dettail for him, as we are in the process of arranging a real Edinburgh tribute mate with details to follow, and guys like him should be involved.

Perth to Paisley

Best method is to approach Allan via Liberton High.

No doubt he will be involved in the schools 50th celebrations.

Sorry Beverley I dont recognise your Aunt/Uncles name - been a few years!

Archived