TV Licence Fee

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Guest GhostHunter

The Makers of Strictly Come Dancing thank you for your support.

Mr Forsyth also thanks you for helping him renew his oxygen supply.

Miller Jambo 60

Would much rather watch adverts than have to pay the BBC ?145.50 every year for SFA..

Why not take BBC off my sat and tell them TGTF, apart fae stacey on Eastbenders its pash

Snake Plissken

I haven't sat down and watched any TV in about three months.

Money well spent for me.

edit: I do watch the match highlights online so I suppose that's something. :smiliz23:

Miller Jambo 60

Would much rather watch adverts than have to pay the BBC ?145.50 every year for SFA..

You pay one, most o your crew down there dont , fact

If you pay attention, you will see that the BBC show almost as many "adverts" as other channels! (I'm not moaning though as I don't pay the license fee!). In between programs there are always wee captions, fillers and adverts for their upcoming programs. They'd be as well just going the whole hog and turning commercial IMO.

for once i must agree wholeheartedly with loonyheart.

the situation of a rabidly 'independent' organisation squandering vast sums of money which they have no responsibility whatsoever of generating must end soon.

to have a guaranteed revenue source in the way that it does is completely at odds with any kind of healthy business strategy. it wouldn't be so bad if the money was spent wisely however the wastage is staggering.

it's long past due that the BBC were standing on their own two million feet and competing in the marketplace with all other broadcasters.

for once i must agree wholeheartedly with loonyheart.

the situation of a rabidly 'independent' organisation squandering vast sums of money which they have no responsibility whatsoever of generating must end soon.

to have a guaranteed revenue source in the way that it does is completely at odds with any kind of healthy business strategy. it wouldn't be so bad if the money was spent wisely however the wastage is staggering.

it's long past due that the BBC were standing on their own two million feet and competing in the marketplace with all other broadcasters.

More adverts then. :smiliz21:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Move abroad and your opinion will rapidly change.

Although I can stream iPlayer for free via VPN's, I would quite happily pay the fee to access it because TV here is utter shite! And that's with a state broadcaster (ABC).

Miller Jambo 60

A separate fee for TV and radio would be good, especially once everything goes digital. I think the radio side of things would do quite well.

Even now, I'd quite happily pay for downloads of the BBC radio shows I listen to.

Pay for bbc downloadsmellow.gif cool

Carl Spackler

Think they wazzed most of it on that crap Doctor Who special at Xmas!

Thank god for 6 Music and BBC4!

Completely agree. There's other good stuff on BBC2. MOTD is good, some decent Radio and TV from BBC Scotland now and again. It's not all bad.

If you pay attention, you will see that the BBC show almost as many "adverts" as other channels! (I'm not moaning though as I don't pay the license fee!). In between programs there are always wee captions, fillers and adverts for their upcoming programs. They'd be as well just going the whole hog and turning commercial IMO.

Also agree except for the last bit. May I also add they pay Chick Young's wages.

The thing that really gets me about the BBC though is Eastenders. It's the equivalent of the computer generated rhymes fed to the Proles in 1984 if you ask me.

More adverts then. :smiliz21:

as a trade off for more realistic salaries paid to 'top stars' and less of our money wasted on television for retards.... then yes.

The Beeb is shocking when it comes to advertising themselves - Eastenders billboards, allowing Robinsons to sponsor the Sports Personality of the year etc. That said, I do think they provide a decent service, particularly on radio!

Guest GhostHunter

Interesting question.

I'm not upgrading to Digital Aerial as I have Sky.

When then, do I need to pay a TV licence ?

And, if I don't, I get fined ?3000.....hmmmm

Miller Jambo 60

Interesting question.

I'm not upgrading to Digital Aerial as I have Sky.

When then, do I need to pay a TV licence ?

And, if I don't, I get fined ?3000.....hmmmm

Dex know one gets fined 3000 pounds , a warningthumbsup.gif

If i got fined 3000 , which i would not , id tell them to poke it

Guest GhostHunter

Dex know one gets fined 3000 pounds , a warningthumbsup.gif

You'd be eating Saughton's finest food in no time.

It's frustrating as in essence the licence fee is now akin to a forced tv subscription. Yet it's much better value than Sky, and provides a lot of minority and niche programming that just would not be viable commercially. It also keeps advertising to a minimum. So I kinda accept it even though it's an aberration from the mid 20th century.

That said, I'd gladly cut the *******s at BBC Glasgow off and let them sink or swim. Hate their weegie-centric output with a passion.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Dex know one gets fined 3000 pounds , a warning :thumbsup:

Poetic words Doug....:thumbsup:

What gets me is the amount that must be taken from Scottish, N Ireland, and Welsh viewers for English football (Internationals live, Premiership highlights, Cup Final, Championship Highlights, and Live Championship matches).

I've not got a problem with them having Match of the Day for Premiership Highlights, but they should have our highlights programme done to a similar standard and on before it. The pitiful highlights package they willingly negotiated for the SPL is a disgrace in its quality and broadcast time of Monday at 11:30pm.

There is far too much Engish football being shown on the BBC up here, and none of it should be getting paid for from our share of the license fee.

Jeeze.

Channel 5 ? So bad it makes French TV look good.

Cable channels, where a 'one hour' programme lasts about 45 mins ?

ITV news ? A 30 minute prog. that is only actually 20 mins long. Check it out.

On reflection , I think you must be trolling.

We ditch bbc and the license fee and watch tv go the way of the yanks, more adverts than programes

Bbc forces other channels to limit their advertising in an attempt to compete

Small price to pay imho

Weird, I was thinking about this a few days before this post came up.

Does that mean that even if I don't have a TV at all, I'd still have to pay ?145 just because I might at some time catch a glimpse of a BBC channel while walking past Dixons?

Weird, I was thinking about this a few days before this post came up.

Does that mean that even if I don't have a TV at all, I'd still have to pay ?145 just because I might at some time catch a glimpse of a BBC channel while walking past Dixons?

Apparently you need a licence if you own a computer too. This is because, I have been told, that you can get TV streamed over the web. So as a result even if you dont watch the box you still need a licence. What a rip off :1222:

Apparently you need a licence if you own a computer too. This is because, I have been told, that you can get TV streamed over the web. So as a result even if you dont watch the box you still need a licence. What a rip off :1222:

?145 on the cnace that I MIGHT watch a re-run of something at some time on Iplayer that barely even works.

Why don't I just sit in a dark corner on a remote island, or will I be charged the full ?145 just for thinking about a line from Not Going Out I saw 4 years ago?

Think they wazzed most of it on that crap Doctor Who special at Xmas!

which along with spooks is among the few non fiction programmes worth paying it for in my opinion.

i don't like paying it, specially when i pay for cable, but the BBC on the whole, does give us a lot of good quality shows, both fiction and non fiction.

pisses me off paying for guff like strictly come dancing and the likes, but other people seem to like it so its swings and roundabouts

Don't mind paying for the BBC there is still a good deal of quality to be found.

With Vince Cable out the way, if it wasn't for the BBC keeping things competitive TV in this country would be like the stop/start garbage broadcast in the U.S.A.

which along with spooks is among the few non fiction programmes worth paying it for in my opinion.

i don't like paying it, specially when i pay for cable, but the BBC on the whole, does give us a lot of good quality shows, both fiction and non fiction.

pisses me off paying for guff like strictly come dancing and the likes, but other people seem to like it so its swings and roundabouts

They must have spent everything on the special effects as the script must have taken 5 minutes to write. Better to watch a better version of Dickens' Christmas Carol like Scrooged or the Patrick Stewart version.

That must rank as one of the worst programmes on Christmas Day, and I speak as someone who has watched a lot of Dr. Who from Tom Baker onwards. Whenever Katherine Jenkins opened her mouth to sing I reached for the mute button on the remote.

i quite enjoyed it frank, but then its easy for me to suspend disbelief and get sucked in hehe

each to their own though

i quite enjoyed it frank, but then its easy for me to suspend disbelief and get sucked in hehe

each to their own though

Yeah - SCI Fi is my favourite genre of TV programme, but when it became clear it was a not so cheap Christmas Carol reinterpretation, I was seriously disappointed. I'd already seen two in the past day, and felt let down by it.

I was looking for something to follow on from the ending of the last series.

ah ok, i get you now, sorry.

it wasn't gonna go down as a "classic" but then so few, i think, of the christmas specials have done. still one of my fave shows on the box though

Archived