How intense is the Edinburgh Derby

ardwick1888

Long time Manchester City fan here, been on JKB for a while now. So how is it? I still get a nervous inside before a game against the vermin. Been away since 1991.

Long time Manchester City fan here, been on JKB for a while now. So how is it? I still get a nervous inside before a game against the vermin. Been away since 1991.

Massive mate, and this is one one of the most eagerly anticipated in a long time. The top derby in Scotland as far as I am concerned...

Commander Harris

it's so intense! It's like a double rainbow reaching all across the sky!

What does it mean?!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

It is the best of times... It is the worst of times...

:mellow:

it's so intense! It's like a double rainbow reaching all across the sky!

What does it mean?!

I'm pretty sure your second sentence means you're gay.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Its mad for it , if you didn't get nervous before a derby match then their is something wrong with you , We haven't won on New Years day since 1998 and what a year that turned out to be , although thus due to having the derby played on other dates and the Hobos being in the First Division for a season

Very intense if you're a jambo. Filled with fear over another humiliating spanking if you're an HIV.

I have to admit that I hate the thought of losing against Hibs more than any other team by at least a hundredfold.

If Hibs were to shut up shop tomorrow and never return, I'd be delighted.

Leithiopian vermin.

John Gentleman

The closer it gets, the mair intense it gets.

Who could have predicted the Damp Squibs giving the Hun a drubbing on their own patch? I didn't and probably nobody else did either.

Bitey nail time!

Its mad for it , if you didn't get nervous before a derby match then their is something wrong with you , We haven't won on New Years day since 1998 and what a year that turned out to be , although thus due to having the derby played on other dates and the Hobos being in the First Division for a season

We didn't in then either.

That game was a draw.

I am nervous about it. We should win comfortably but that does not mean we will.

Also as much as we piss all over them stat wise, including the 7-0 (10-2) there, I think, is only one record that they beat us on and that is New Year derbies. I think they have wine more than us. Maybe someone can confirm this or tell me I am talking p!sh.

scott herbertson

That game was a draw.

I am nervous about it. We should win comfortably but that does not mean we will.

Also as much as we piss all over them stat wise, including the 7-0 (10-2) there, I think, is only one record that they beat us on and that is New Year derbies. I think they have wine more than us. Maybe someone can confirm this or tell me I am talking p!sh.

Certainly in my time (40 odd years since my first one) they have a much better record - I watched the whole of the late 60's and 70's and I don't think we won one in that period - certainly didn't feel like it.

SectionDJambo

My generation of Hearts fan will remember the pain of most of the derbies in the 70's. They must feel that pain now, and for the most part have been feeling it for the last 25 years. It always feels just great to beat them, anytime ,anywhere.

It is quite simply the game we have to win, or at the very least not lose. Probably no different to any major derby in the world.

I hope that Hearts turn up without an ounce of complancency tomorrow, and give us the victory that we demand.

The thing about the Edinburgh derby is this, (and I?m sure people will agree with me)

All year round we patronise, pity and laugh at the Hibs. They are just a hapless little club. When we don?t play them we want them to lose and laugh when they invariably do. BUT when it comes to playing them you seem to forget just how much you actually hate them. Just walking into the stadium and seeing their 100 fans makes the blood boil.

I utterly loathe the hideous little outfit and have immense pleasure in spanking them.

In games played (610 matches) we have the most one sided derby in world football.

I feel sorry for you pal as I know that United appear to have had the upper hand in Manchester (being kind) in recent decades, hopefully that will change soon.

As a Jambo I am fortunate to say that, Hearts win Edinburgh derbies. That?s just how it is up here.

scots civil war

the pain of the sixties and seventies will allways be there

i remember the latter stages of the seventies when the capitals favourite sons were outcasts and it hurt

for that experience alone we must endeavour to crush the lochenders at every opportunity for ever more

the pain of the sixties and seventies will allways be there

i remember the latter stages of the seventies when the capitals favourite sons were outcasts and it hurt

for that experience alone we must endeavour to crush the lochenders at every opportunity for ever more

We have a better derby record in the 60's. The only decades that hibs were better than us overall (head to head)

1870's

1880's

1920's

1940's

1970's

Overall we have won 76 more Edinburgh derbies than hibs (thanks London Hearts)

Romanov Stole My Pension

BUT when it comes to playing them you seem to forget just how much you actually hate them. Just walking into the stadium and seeing their 100 fans makes the blood boil.

Yep. Anyone on here that says they don't hate Hibs should walk from Roseburn to Tynecastle on derby day and I guarantee you'll change your mind.

Fourteen years since Andy Millen and Jim Leighton contributed massively to a 4-0 Hearts win at Fester. The following year I thought we could be in for another "is this the day we get back the seven?" type of day when Baggio had us two up early on. Tomorrow's been a long time coming to make up for the disappointment (I personally felt) of not beating them handsomely on NYD 1998.

Go to it lads...

for one of the most one-sided series of games ever in local derby history, our 'rivals' actually have severe difficulties in coming to terms with just how dominant we are over them. it's not even so much that they believe they are equal with us in terms of achievements, most of them actually have a delusion that it is in fact them who have always been edinburgh 'top dogs'.

to put it in a nutshell... they are the biggest collection of imbecilic, deluded and deranged shitehawks ever to have been shat into existence. and that's being overly kind.

they should really be put down... or be housed in a secure zoo.

Guest juvehearts

Lets put it this way

see when the fixture list is published in june/july

this game on NYD is the only one I look out for.

then the other games against the wee team.

for me personally, you can have all your other derby's, this is the big one.

FTH

juve

for one of the most one-sided series of games ever in local derby history, our 'rivals' actually have severe difficulties in coming to terms with just how dominant we are over them. it's not even so much that they believe they are equal with us in terms of achievements, most of them actually have a delusion that it is in fact them who have always been edinburgh 'top dogs'.

to put it in a nutshell... they are the biggest collection of imbecilic, deluded and deranged shitehawks ever to have been shat into existence. and that's being overly kind.

they should really be put down... or be housed in a secure zoo.

I go by this summary

Hibs are not even the most popular club in Leith.

Craig Herbertson

Certainly in my time (40 odd years since my first one) they have a much better record - I watched the whole of the late 60's and 70's and I don't think we won one in that period - certainly didn't feel like it.

That was the period when you wore your scarf into school on Monday when you won the derby and young Jambos should now try and imagine not getting a single chance to do that. It was bad. There were loads of 0-0 draws.

We have by far the more superior record in the past 40 years mate

I go by this summary

Hibs are not even the most popular club in Leith.

another insight into the mindset of the permanently downtrodden masses ( can i use this word to describe the hibs support? ) is their cringeworthy pride that their pitiful club was the first to have things like floodlights and electronic scoreboards ( :teehee: ).

also, being the first british side to be invited to take part in a fledgling european cup competition is tragically regarded as some sort of important achievement amongst them.

what do such 'comfort blankets' say about them?

:rudi:

and always will be.

omg derby day. I always have butterflies in the stomach and thats a week before the game. Inside its worse and it does not settle until the first Hearts goal. And every time the Hobos attack our goal it starts up again. All my emotions intensify whether we are at Fester Road or the land of the Famous. Love it :D

Should be there but due to unforeseen circumstances (ie my work being a secret hobo) cant get the time off now.

So a pub in town will be open and the manager is showing the derby. Which is cool as its normally full with Chelski supporters. :thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

We don't get many New Years Day derbies these days due to the idiots at the SFA who compile the fixture lists as imo this fixture is the biggest on the calendar! The intensity is massive, and although our stadium only holds 17,500 or so, it's absolutely rocking with the game being sold out over a month ago (well the Hearts end anyway)

There is a genuine hatred between the two sets of fans which runs very deep, and often trouble before and after the matches (usually caused by the Hibs fans as they lick their wounds).

The good thing though is that it's a rivalry for the right reasons, for footballing reasons, unlike the Glasgow derby where the rivalry is purely religion based and just vile.

There's a sheer hatred when Celtic come to us too, but it's a different kind of hatred saved for other threads :thumbsup:

I think I'm correct in saying that Hearts v Hibs is the oldest major derby match in the UK outside of the Nottingham derby, and is certainly the most keenly contested derby in Scotland.

Bring it on FTH

We can ridicule the afflicted on JKB until the Hobos come home, but in the week preceding a derby I am chewing regurgitated butterflies. Yet I am always confident of a Hearts win, never more so than for tomorrow.

cant wait till tomorrow to stick it right up the vermin and show the pondlife up for the shite excuse of a football team they are!

FTH!

cant help but being confident this time round. 'mon the famous! :thumbsup:

Miller Jambo 60

Be easy mate, we are on a run ,they are going down. 4-0 Hearts

Miller Jambo 60

Eh whistling.gif

The Edinburgh derby

The Edinburgh derby s an informal title given to any football match played between Heart of Midlothian (Hearts) and Hibernian (Hibs), the two professional clubs based in Edinburgh. The two clubs have a fierce rivalry that dates back to the clubs being founded in the mid-1870s, which makes it one of the oldest (and longest running) rivalries in world football. The first match between the clubs was played on the Meadows on Christmas Day 1875, with Hearts winning by 1?0.

The matches are normally played at either Easter Road or Tynecastle. It is currently played three or four times a year in the Scottish Premier League, depending on whether both teams finish in the same half of the table after the league splits near the end of the season.

The teams sometimes also play against one another in cup tournaments such as the Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cup. The teams have met in cup competitions three times in recent seasons. Hearts won 4?0 at Hampden Park in the 2005?06 Scottish Cup semi-final and 2?0 in the 2008?09 Scottish Cup 4th round at Easter Road, while Hibs won 1?0 in the quarter-final of the 2006?07 League Cup. The clubs have met once in the Scottish Cup final in 1896. This match was the only Scottish Cup Final played outside of Glasgow, and was won 3?1 by Hearts.

Overall record

Hearts have the better record in derbies with 131 wins to 85 wins by Hibs in 303 competitive matches. There have been approximately 600 Edinburgh derbies to date, meaning that about half of all derbies have been played in local competitions and "friendlies". Hearts hold a lead of 140 wins to Hibs' 112 wins in these other games.

Single game records

Hibs recorded the biggest margin of victory in a competitive match with a 7?0 victory at Tynecastle on 1 January 1973. The biggest win in "other" matches was a 10?2 Hearts victory in a friendly match 12 August 1893. The largest number of goals scored in a competitive match was when Hearts won 8?3 in a league match on 21 September 1935. Hearts hold the record margin in the Scottish Cup with a 5?0 victory on 1 February 1955, and the record margin in the Scottish League Cup with a 6?1 victory on 11 August 1956.

Prolific goalscorers

John Robertson scored 27 goals against Hibs in competitive games. Robertson was nicknamed "The Hammer of Hibs" due to his prolific goal record in derbies. Both Bobby Walker (31) and Tommy Walker (29) scored more goals in derbies than Robertson taking account of 'local' cup and league games.

Hibs' top scorer with 15 goals was Gordon Smith, who later joined Hearts and Dundee, becoming the only player to win the Scottish League with three different clubs. James McGhee scored at least 24 goals for Hibs in the early years of the fixture. The real figure is probably higher as he played in a lot of games where only the result is known and not all the scorers were recorded.

Barney Battles, Jr. scored 11 goals in less than a month versus Hibs in 1929; five in the 8?2 Dunedin Cup final victory on 17 April 1929, two in the 5?1 Wilson Cup Final victory on 30 April 1929 and four in the 5?1 Rosebery Charity Cup Final victory on 11 May 1929.

Record attendance

The record crowd for an Edinburgh derby was 65,860 on 2 January 1950 when Hearts won 2?1 at Easter Road. This was also the biggest crowd for any Scottish game played outside Glasgow.

Major matches

A Hampden Park scoreboard shows the final score from the 2006 Scottish Cup semi-final, the most important derby of recent seasons.

The most important match between the clubs was the Scottish Cup final of 1896, which was played at Logie Green, Edinburgh. This is the only time the Scottish Cup final has been played outside of Glasgow. Hearts won the final 3?1 before a crowd of 17,340.

The most important match in recent years was the Scottish Cup semi-final of 2006. Both clubs played in the knowledge that victory would lead to a final against Gretna, who were a Scottish Second Division club at the time. Hearts won the semi-final against Hibs by 4?0 and went on to win the competition on a penalty shootout in the final.

Hibs gained some revenge in the following season by winning a League Cup quarter final against Hearts by 1?0 and going on to win the competition with wins against St. Johnstone and Kilmarnock.

Periods of dominance

Season 1886?87 was Hibs' best ever against their local rivals in terms of goal scoring, as they won 5?1 in the third round of the Scottish Cup at Easter Road on the way to becoming the first ?Eastern? club to win the Scottish Cup. This was followed by wins of 3?0, 5?2 and 7?1 in other competitions. In the 7?1 win, James McGhee scored 5 goals in the first 25 minutes. The defeat of the then cup holders in the following season 1887?88 marked the end of Hibs' domination over Hearts. Hibs did not enjoy a similar sustained period of success in the fixture until the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Hearts hold the record for consecutive derbies without a loss, a 22-game streak straddling the 1980s and 1990s. Hibs' longest unbeaten streak was 12 games from 1974 to 1978. Hearts hold the best winning streak of 7 games from 1916 to 1919. Hibs' longest winning streak is 3 wins, achieved on three occasions in the 1880s, 1920s and 1940s respectively.

Since the creation of the Scottish Premier Division in 1975 and the introduction of four league games between clubs in a season, neither club has managed to win all four league derbies in a season. Hearts have achieved 3 wins and a draw twice, in 1996?97 and 2006?07. Hibs' best is 3 wins and a loss in 1994?95 and 2 wins and 2 draws in 2008?09.

New Year derby

A derby match was traditionally played each New Year, either on 1 January itself or on 2 January, which is a bank holiday in Scotland. The New Year match has rarely taken place in recent years due to the scheduling policy of the SPL, dictated by live television coverage. This has similarly affected the Old Firm derby, which was also traditionally played at New Year. Of the 88 Edinburgh derbies played at New Year, Hibs hold a slight lead of 31 wins to 28 Hearts wins. Only four New Year derbies have been played so far in the 2000s, and all have finished in draws: 4?4 at Tynecastle in 2003; 1?1 draws at Easter Road in 2005 and 2010; and a goalless draw at Tynecastle on 3 January 2009. A further New Year derby has been scheduled for Tynecastle on 1 January 2011, with the SPL citing the benefit of reducing travel during the holiday period.

I'm not sure that anyone has really answered the OP's question.

The answer for me is that it isn't a 'cauldron of hate' game like West Ham Millwall, or Southampton-Portsmouth, and it isn't a love-in like Liverpool-Everton either.

There are a fair number of boozers where supporters of both clubs drink before and after, and there isn't much segregation outside the ground.

The derby is a bit special because it has been going on for so long, and the nature of the game itself seems to go in waves; for a long period in the 80s and 90s the games were nearly always tight and dreadful; then there was a spell in the past five years when they were absolutely brilliant, open games of football.

Commander Harris

I'm pretty sure your second sentence means you're gay.

oh come on! it's got like 50million views on youtube!

Hearts have achieved 3 wins and a draw twice, in 1996?97 and 2006?07. Hibs' best is 3 wins and a loss in 1994?95 and 2 wins and 2 draws in 2008?09.

You missed 1985/86 (3 wins and 1 draw which included Sandy Clark's open goal).

We don't get many New Years Day derbies these days due to the idiots at the SFA who compile the fixture lists as imo this fixture is the biggest on the calendar! The intensity is massive, and although our stadium only holds 17,500 or so, it's absolutely rocking with the game being sold out over a month ago (well the Hearts end anyway)

There is a genuine hatred between the two sets of fans which runs very deep, and often trouble before and after the matches (usually caused by the Hibs fans as they lick their wounds).

The good thing though is that it's a rivalry for the right reasons, for footballing reasons, unlike the Glasgow derby where the rivalry is purely religion based and just vile.

There's a sheer hatred when Celtic come to us too, but it's a different kind of hatred saved for other threads :thumbsup:

I think I'm correct in saying that Hearts v Hibs is the oldest major derby match in the UK outside of the Nottingham derby, and is certainly the most keenly contested derby in Scotland.

Bring it on FTH

Spot on big felly and may I just put (for internet forum purposes)

This!

Bring it on FTH

It will be the oldest derby played in World Football this year, unless the 2 Nottingham Clubs meet.

Archived