Vijay Singh

Deodato

Did you know that Vijay Singh, the big Fijian and one of the worlds top golfers was once a bouncer on Lothian Road and Club Mercado aka the world famous Buster Broons?

Well, even if you did, I f'ing never. Learnt it last night from a mate at a party and turns out to be true.

Indeed, looking at the time period - it is possible that a world class sportsman might have KB'ed me as an under age drinker.

Here's a classic quote from him:

"The women were the hardest ones to handle. When they fight, goodness gracious me! I knew how to deal with the men, but the women? you never knew what they were going to do. They were pretty rough, especially with a few drinks inside them. I could handle myself though. I had done some martial arts and I was in tune with what was going on. Only occasionally did I get involved in scraps, but never alone. There were always at least two of us.

"The worst part of the job was telling people they couldn't come in because they were too drunk. It's tough to always be the bad guy. I remember walking to my car ? I had an old jalopy ? at two in the morning and worrying about getting attacked. My car was fine if it started right away, but it often didn't. So it could get a bit scary, wondering if a gang of guys were waiting for me. I'd always jump in quickly."

- Vijay Singh, 'My life as a bouncer' - Scotland on Sunday.

There you go - you learn something everyday.

Deodato

Read an article about him 2 years ago re working in Edinburgh. Apparently it was The Amphitheatre on Lothian Road at the time (around 1987)

i knew this. quite a change in circumstances.

his long time caddy was from west lothian and was a member at pumpherston golf club i believe. i'm also led to believe that he tried to get VS over to play in the members and guests competition!!!

i don't think he did.

Read an article about him 2 years ago re working in Edinburgh. Apparently it was The Amphitheatre on Lothian Road at the time (around 1987)

Yep, thats right. He also used to play golf at my old club Ratho Park. I think one of the members sponsored him as a business opportunity when he was up and coming.

i knew this. quite a change in circumstances.

his long time caddy was from west lothian and was a member at pumpherston golf club i believe. i'm also led to believe that he tried to get VS over to play in the members and guests competition!!!

i don't think he did.

His caddy David "Buddy" Renwick lives in East Calder. He has caddied in Major wins for Olazabal, Elkington (twice) & Singh.

Steve Elkington played the at Pumphy when we were still a nine holer, we had to reconfigure the course because of subsidence in the early 90's and he played an exhibition 9 holes on the new layout.

His caddy David "Buddy" Renwick lives in East Calder. He has caddied in Major wins for Olazabal, Elkington (twice) & Singh.

Steve Elkington played the at Pumphy when we were still a nine holer, we had to reconfigure the course because of subsidence in the early 90's and he played an exhibition 9 holes on the new layout.

My dad was a member at the nine holer. Used to take me and I could never hit it over the pond!!

Vijay is married to Faldo's ex caddie ... anybody else know that fact?

He said since they day he met her he always wanted to make her F4nny Singh ...

Thank you very much!

My late father used to play at Ratho with VS, playing the 18th (par4)for the first time he asked my Dad the line in, who told him the big hitters carried the trees on the left hand side, to fade in front of the green. Vijay pulls out a 4 wood, carries the trees no bother. They got up to the green, Vijay's in the green side bunker "you never told me there was bunker there" reply "you never told me you were going to hit it so bloody far"!! Apparently in one game, forward tees, he went round in 61 with four clubs !!

He was skint at this time, drinking only orange juice etc, after having to leave the Asian Tour under dubious circumstances. A member with friends from out there was asked to look after him while he tries to establish himself over here.

By all accounts a very nice guy, bearing in mind his golf talent, the guys he played with at Ratho, were all retired and a couple of "rabbits" in the four they made up.

jt

My late father used to play at Ratho with VS, playing the 18th (par4)for the first time he asked my Dad the line in, who told him the big hitters carried the trees on the left hand side, to fade in front of the green. Vijay pulls out a 4 wood, carries the trees no bother. They got up to the green, Vijay's in the green side bunker "you never told me there was bunker there" reply "you never told me you were going to hit it so bloody far"!! Apparently in one game, forward tees, he went round in 61 with four clubs !!

He was skint at this time, drinking only orange juice etc, after having to leave the Asian Tour under dubious circumstances. A member with friends from out there was asked to look after him while he tries to establish himself over here.

By all accounts a very nice guy, bearing in mind his golf talent, the guys he played with at Ratho, were all retired and a couple of "rabbits" in the four they made up.

jt

Cheating, allegedly ?

Archived