Red or Pink strip

JT1959

Can anyone else remember this game or this period, if I recall correctly Hearts came out in a stripe top, should have been red and white but colours had obviously run and looked dark pink and white, did they then change the tops at halftime to training gear tops?

I could be losing it through age but there was something odd about the tops for a few weeks during this period.

Tried posting a pic from mid 70's but can't get it to accept - it's on the london hearts site under "tynecastle photo section and shows hearts ve Dundee - Drew Busby is in Pic so 70's period"

was at this game, scottish cup 1-1 tommy murray sat on the ball, we lost the replay 3-2 and donald ford tanned his knee in. sure the strip was meant to be maroon and white stripes but looked more red, then again my memories no great either.

I was at that game the Hearts shirts were red and white strips and it was Dundee in the cup. Dundee idiots thought they could take the shed. :thumbsup:

I was at that game the Hearts shirts were red and white strips and it was Dundee in the cup. Dundee idiots thought they could take the shed. :thumbsup:

Definitely red & white stripes (still don't know why). We lost the replay 3-2 IIRC ( I was there) at a packed out Dens Park. Seem to recall there was pitched battles all night long, inside and outisde the ground.

was at this game, scottish cup 1-1 tommy murray sat on the ball, we lost the replay 3-2 and donald ford tanned his knee in. sure the strip was meant to be maroon and white stripes but looked more red, then again my memories no great either.

`It was the "Ajax" strip in that game. Or do you mean the replay?

Stupid Sexy Flanders

At Ibrox against the Huns, wasn't it? Saw the video on Youtube recently.

na, it was thin red & white stripes, everyone was surprised at the strip and murray did sit on the ball, bit of a party peice for tommy, despite the fans no being to happy at it that day. check the picture here.

http://www.londonhearts.com/legends/busbydrew/pages/1975030802.html

na, it was thin red & white stripes, everyone was surprised at the strip and murray did sit on the ball, bit of a party peice for tommy, despite the fans no being to happy at it that day. check the picture here.

http://www.londonhearts.com/legends/busbydrew/pages/1975030802.html

I hate to disagree but check out this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r0bpKgfCPA

It was like a war zone outside the ground that day too. I've not seen anything like it at Tynecastle before or since.

Right. My mistake for speed reading.

I think after that match, it was then made against the rules to sit on the ball. Even though in a previous match between the two teams, one of the rangers players had done the same thing and it wasnt outlawed! Funny that eh?

it was a 1975 scottish cup quarter final tie, Hearts wore red and white stripes sunderland style, white shorts and maroon socks, the game was shown on TV, (many people still only had black and white tv sets back then),Dundee arrived with only there normal dark blue jerseys,very similar to Hearts maroon jerseys on a b&w tv, for some reason, Hearts white change jerseys were unavailable, maybe the reserves were wearing them or stuck in the laundry, but an alternative strip was required and someone was despatched for a set of jerseys and the red and white set was aquired.

I know these days this might sound ridiculous but at this time , many teams had to buy there own strips and kits, in fact at the time the Hearts supporters federation would pay for a set of strips in a kind of sponsorship deal , this was pre Umbro mass produced kit deals etc.

in the book "Gritty Gallant and Glorious" by Norrie Price there is a pic of the game and you can see its not a regular Hearts strip of the time.

Thanks for the replies - I do remember the mayhem outside, now reminded.

What is amazing though is the crowd, look at the section N enclosure, amazing.

I didn't know why we changed into that particular strip until reading jbee647's post above, but in Scotland at that time it was the home team that changed in the event of a colour clash.

We wore striped shirts in Texaco Cup ties around that time, but they were maroon and white stripes.

I seem to remember that this was referred to as our 'candy stripe' away strip at the time . . .

No this paricular red and white was only ever worn once, in fact it wasn't even a Hearts strip, it was borrowed probably from a local amateur team or sports shop

Archived