Kyle's treatment

TheBigO

How frustrating is the treatment of big Kev by referees? No conspiracies here - simply refs being too thick to see past his size and style of play. Last night, almost every time he challenged for the ball, a foul was given. Didn't matter if the defender didn't jump, jumped into him or, at times, simply dragged him to the floor. If the defender won the ball, fair cop, if the big man did, foul.

At the other end of the pitch, Zal and Bouzid were being penalised for much less (often correctly) and their forwards were getting away with much more (again, often correctly). Zal was even booked for what looked nothing more than an aerial challenge.

The ref just seemed to have decided before the match that Kyle fouls every time he goes for the ball and was incapable of judging each challenge on its own merit.

Been mentioned a lot on here as well as by Jeff and the big man himself, but I thought worthy of its own thread as last night was the most blatant case. These decisions can and do change games. Instead of us having an attacking freekick or possession high up, we lose pressure and give the oppo the chance to launch it into our box.

WHat I love about the big man is he just keeps battling away but should Jeff be having a quiet word with the refs on this subject?? Nothing for them to strike over, but it's getting worse and could affect us.

mahgrassyshoes

The big difference in the challenges by Kyle and Higdon was Kyle was actually making an attempt to win his headers. Higdon was more interested in pulling shirts and backing in than actually challenging for the ball. Some of the refs decisions were really frustrating. I remember there being one challenge where the St. Mirren defender had his arm around Kyles neck. The ball fell to a St. Mirren player and the ref blew for play on.

As i remember it, it was more of the same when De Vries was here as well.

On a separate note, think the big man is really coming onto a game right now. He is really battling for everything. Hos confidence is sky high and he seems to be winning nearly everything that is aimed at him. Just wish he would stop trying to steal the half yard on the defenders at set pieces. He gets caught offside 9 times/10!

He is doing everything I hoped he would when he signed. A proper centre forward. Doesnt let the decisions stop him doing what he does. The team will not be the same if he gets injured/suspended. He's like another captain on the pitch too. :thumbsup:

How frustrating is the treatment of big Kev by referees? No conspiracies here - simply refs being too thick to see past his size and style of play. Last night, almost every time he challenged for the ball, a foul was given. Didn't matter if the defender didn't jump, jumped into him or, at times, simply dragged him to the floor. If the defender won the ball, fair cop, if the big man did, foul.

At the other end of the pitch, Zal and Bouzid were being penalised for much less (often correctly) and their forwards were getting away with much more (again, often correctly). Zal was even booked for what looked nothing more than an aerial challenge.

The ref just seemed to have decided before the match that Kyle fouls every time he goes for the ball and was incapable of judging each challenge on its own merit.

Been mentioned a lot on here as well as by Jeff and the big man himself, but I thought worthy of its own thread as last night was the most blatant case. These decisions can and do change games. Instead of us having an attacking freekick or possession high up, we lose pressure and give the oppo the chance to launch it into our box.

WHat I love about the big man is he just keeps battling away but should Jeff be having a quiet word with the refs on this subject?? Nothing for them to strike over, but it's getting worse and could affect us.

Great post IBH - I thought KK was magnificent last night and won everything! As you say, that prick of a "referee" - Allan, penalised him time and again for absolutely nothing but the big man plugged away, showed no dissent, led the line brilliantly and cajoled and supported (and kicked ass when needed) his team mates all night. We were discussing MoM after the match and we all went for KK with Adrian a very close second!

The worry is that this weekend we'll lose out cos of this. There's no doubt that Kyle will on their CB's. Obua and Nade have done in recent times! But if he's penalised every time simply for being strong, we'll continually lose momentum.

I actually thought we played well last night - did pretty well with possession and pretty much bossed the game, but it just kept getting broken up with incorrect decisions by the ref and we lost our way (especially first half which we started very well).

We will be the better team on Sat, but momentum is massive in derbies and when we get on top we need to keep them pinned back. The respite afforded to them should only be earned not offered by the ref.

Bit of a daft thread really, cos what more can be said and what can be done, but I just found last night so frustrating cos the team and Kev were doing all the right things

This has been getting on my nerves for a few weeks now.

A foul's a foul irrespective of whether he's a big **** or not.

The referee was dreadful!

Callum's deflected shot, Kyle's corner; and so many "fouls" that weren't; soft bookings.

Surprised he didn't book Temps for diving at the penalty. I have a feeling that if it hadn't been so blatant. . . . . !!!!

The ref was shocking with his decisions against Kyle, how could he give free-kicks against him and not against Higdon? Another brilliant shift from the big man, if he does that on saturday, he will have no problems against Bamba and Hogg.

We were talking about this at the game and he really gets absolutely nothing. Zip, nada, zilch.

Can't see that changing though so it's just going to have to be a case of Kyle doing his best to play smarter. It'll be the first note up on opposition match instruction boards so it's just as well that he (quite amazingly) seems capable of not losing the rag over it. He's a trooper, that one :)

Miller Jambo 60

He is doing everything I hoped he would when he signed. A proper centre forward. Doesnt let the decisions stop him doing what he does. The team will not be the same if he gets injured/suspended. He's like another captain on the pitch too. :thumbsup:

Thisthumbsup.gif

I thought the ref had a not too bad game last night.

Templeton could have been booked for his challenge early doors and he does go to ground far too easily. I was at the Iceland under 21 game and it was a blatant dive for example - so it is in his locker.

Got the pen and s/o spot on despite Potter claiming to him he had nicked the ball.

And he didn't book Kyle despite the number of fouls given against him.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone on here that Kyle seems not to be given his fair share of 50/50s but over the piece he kept good control of the game. At least that's what I think a neutral would say.

Also the ref last night has the utmost respect for the amount of work and endeavour that Kyle puts into the game and is a joy to ref. :thumbsup:

Archived