Classic Tynecastle Derby from 1987

Silvery_Moon

New Year's Day is fast approaching so here's an old derby classic.

Robbo scores the only goal of the game. Alan Rough's contribution to the goal should not go unmentioned. A fine slip to allow John Colquhoun to set up Robbo.

And not to forget - this made it 17 games undefeated against Hibs. Hibs would win the next derby but we'd soon beat the 17 game run with a 22 game run. We really did own them back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa3Ax661oZk

Goldstone Wonder

Thanks mate. I got the 7.30 train up from Kings Cross with London Hearts to watch this game. I knew we'd won it but I had forgotten all about the game itself.

A few thoughts occur:

1. I had imagined that both Jardines had exited stage left by then.

2. JC was being fouled non-stop by their cloggers.

3. Their defence consisted of Hunter, McIntyre, Mitchell and Jism.

God, they were a poor side under Miller.

No longer active

Nice to see the 87 team again. Forgot how versatile McPherson was. Good to see poor old Brian Whittaker.

New Year's Day is fast approaching so here's an old derby classic.

Robbo scores the only goal of the game. Alan Rough's contribution to the goal should not go unmentioned. A fine slip to allow John Colquhoun to set up Robbo.

Especially after he'd just shown his 'international class' :D :D

Nice to see the 87 team again. Forgot how versatile McPherson was. Good to see poor old Brian Whittaker.

Yes - poor Brian indeed.

Walter Bishop

The advertising board behind Rough for "Croall and Croall" was my old mans work, we had directors box season tickets and were regulars in the director box for that season, met a few stars like Souness,Dalglish,and Alex Ferguson not too mention the whole Hearts team nearly every week!! :thumbsup:

My overriding memory of that game is that I was in the main stand for it.

I am a Shed/Wheatfield man.

Only other game I watched from the main stand was v Motherwell when we needed to win to avoid a playoff (I think?), sure we won with a Brian Hamilton pen???

My overriding memory of that game is that I was in the main stand for it.

I am a Shed/Wheatfield man.

Only other game I watched from the main stand was v Motherwell when we needed to win to avoid a playoff (I think?), sure we won with a Brian Hamilton pen???

I think Hamilton scored with a diving header and Robbo scored a pen.

Re the '87 game, we had a really strong team that season and finished above Souness' Rangers.

You gotta laugh at Alan Rough. 17 derby games played. Zero wins!

p0ab2: have you got Hearts 4 Dundee 2 from the same season?

Re the '87 game, we had a really strong team that season and finished above Souness' Rangers.

That was a great game too....love to see it again.???

:thumbsup:

Victor Meldrew

87-88 was a good season. I remember going to Ibrox in about the April and seeing us win 2-1, having gone behind to a Jan Bartram goal and we got a penalty.

Was gutted at the Hampden Semi when Henry dropped the ball - I've always hated Mark McGhee since then.

87-88 was a good season. I remember going to Ibrox in about the April and seeing us win 2-1, having gone behind to a Jan Bartram goal and we got a penalty.Was gutted at the Hampden Semi when Henry dropped the ball - I've always hated Mark McGhee since then.

I was at that game too. It was Robbo's last before leaving for Newcastle.

Victor Meldrew

Oooooh! Pre derby nerves!

:sweat:

I can honestly say I can't remember being worried about a derby - no matter how badly we are doing we seem to rise to the occasion, whereas the Hobos can usually be relied upon to bottle it.

I have it on VHS yes. I'll add it to the list of things to copy over.

Robbo missed a penalty in that match which stopped him getting a hat trick in the space of only 5 minutes!

Was there any other Hearts/Scottish players with hair as big as MacPhersons? It`s massive!!

Do you reckon he could actually hide the ball in there during one of his mazy runs?

We had JC, they had Mickey Queer. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Says it all.

My humble opinion but our team from back then would walk the league now.

I have it on VHS yes. I'll add it to the list of things to copy over.

Robbo missed a penalty in that match which stopped him getting a hat trick in the space of only 5 minutes!

............and check out George Cowie's link to a classic from 1987.

The crowds we had in 87/88 were the biggest average since the 1960s (about 17,500), yet I remember we'd get 29,000 in some games and 8,000 in others.

Contrast that to 2006/07 when every crowd figure given was almost exactly the same (about 16,700)

The difference between the two of course was the size of Tynecastle back then and the need to have a season ticket post-Taylor Report.

87-88 was a good season. I remember going to Ibrox in about the April and seeing us win 2-1, having gone behind to a Jan Bartram goal and we got a penalty.

Was gutted at the Hampden Semi when Henry dropped the ball - I've always hated Mark McGhee since then.

Can't believe this was 23 years ago. More of the same on Saturday please!

Archived