Guardian's take on Hearts challenge

billco98

I think this is a fair article. If nothing else it's great to see the club being discussed outwith our border without the topic being negative.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/dec/17/hearts-spl-three-horse-race

'Given the resources at Jim Jefferies's disposal, questions would need to be asked if Hearts don't finish third in May but this winning spell has caused surprise. It started, after all, following a 3-0 home trouncing by Kilmarnock.

If there is a debate to be had over whether or not Hearts can sustain their striking touch, the most viable argument to suggest that they can lies in squad depth. It remains the case that Rangers and Celtic have superior starting XIs but a comparison with the defending champions at a wider squad level tells a different story. Celtic, moreover, are still in the midst of what seems a never-ending transitional phase.

Whereas Rangers are currently toiling to fill a substitutes' bench for matches, Jefferies has not been able to call on his best player ? Lee Wallace ? for two months without any obvious ill-effects. Andrew Driver, recently an England Under-21 international and valued at ?3m, is yet to kick a ball this season because of injury. Two regular starters, Ian Black and Eggert Jonsson, dropped out of the team at Motherwell due to a stomach bug and were replaced with ease.'

Ok, you need a squad, you need talent but this is always the subject and what often gets overlooked is mentality.

Hearts MUST match the Old Firm`s unstinting belief that they CAN be the best. If Hearts do keep this good run of steady form going, there will be many tests of our nerve in different scenarios later in the season.

At those times it isn`t about talent alone and never will be.

Excellent article and one unlikely to appear in any of the rags up here.

Agree with Spanky that there isn't much between our starting XI and there's it's our belief that we can challenge and defeat them that will be the difference between us being there or thereabouts come May

Ok, you need a squad, you need talent but this is always the subject and what often gets overlooked is mentality.

Hearts MUST match the Old Firm`s unstinting belief that they ARE be the best. If Hearts do keep this good run of steady form going, there will be many tests of our nerve in different scenarios later in the season.

At those times it isn`t about talent alone and never will be.

Right now, Hearts are delighted to be third, celtic are unhappy to be second and Rangers are content at the top.

kingantti1874

at the old firm it is known by all of the players as soon as they walk through the door that they must win every game - we must develop that attitude, 2 nd is the first of the losers

Albert Finney

Right now, Hearts are delighted to be third, celtic are unhappy to be second and Rangers are content at the top.

Absolutely correct.

john brownlee

at the old firm it is known by all of the players as soon as they walk through the door that they must win every game - we must develop that attitude, 2 nd is the first of the losers

they are told, if not the ref will help us

but of course the nobby players fleckit up

inverness

apart from the strikers, i would start be challenging the assertion that either OF team have "superior starting XI's".

:clarification:

At the start of the season, I would have disagreed. In fact I did write that I thought at least six of the Rangers first choice would stroll into our first team.

I must admit that on reflection and form, that is now total bollocks.

If we will the league, Blackie's tackle on Jelavic will probably be the biggest single act that contributed (unless Big Zal can snap Kenny Miller's cruciate before the end of the season).

I can't see us winning the title to be honest. There are so many here getting all over-excited and we are only third in the league in December.

We don't see this atitude coming from the Old Firm. They their feet on the ground, they have been here so many times before.

Bottle has a lot to do with it and if we are still up there ten games from now I don't know how we will handle it.

I believe January will be pivotal in determining whether we are to be able to challenge for the title or look to finish 3rd. Our league fixtures are:

Hibs (H) 1st

Dundee Utd (A) 15th

Rangers (H) 22nd

Celtic (A) 26th

St Johnstone (H) 29th

There is also the Rangers game at Ibrox to be re-arranged and the possibility that this could be fitted in between the United game and the Rangers game on the 22nd, assuming there are no cup replays for either side. If we are to challenge for the title, a good run of results here would do wonders for the confidence. Of course, there are games prior to these against Caley today, Killie on Boxing Day and St Mirren on the 29th to be negotiated first.

January will also be critical in our season as we will wait to see what happens with Rangers takeover bid and this could determine whether or not they can strengthen their small squad. It is important for us in that we are able to hang onto to our strongest players too and perhaps replace some deadwood with 1 or 2 players who will be able to deputise or add to our current starting XI.

Lets just enjoy the ride though eh? It's nice to have this optimism around Tynecastle and lets hope it can continue for a long long time.

I think this is a fair article. If nothing else it's great to see the club being discussed outwith our border without the topic being negative.

http://www.guardian....hree-horse-race

'Given the resources at Jim Jefferies's disposal, questions would need to be asked if Hearts don't finish third in May but this winning spell has caused surprise. It started, after all, following a 3-0 home trouncing by Kilmarnock.

If there is a debate to be had over whether or not Hearts can sustain their striking touch, the most viable argument to suggest that they can lies in squad depth. It remains the case that Rangers and Celtic have superior starting XIs but a comparison with the defending champions at a wider squad level tells a different story. Celtic, moreover, are still in the midst of what seems a never-ending transitional phase.

Whereas Rangers are currently toiling to fill a substitutes' bench for matches, Jefferies has not been able to call on his best player ? Lee Wallace ? for two months without any obvious ill-effects. Andrew Driver, recently an England Under-21 international and valued at ?3m, is yet to kick a ball this season because of injury. Two regular starters, Ian Black and Eggert Jonsson, dropped out of the team at Motherwell due to a stomach bug and were replaced with ease.'

I agree with Ewan on most of what he says, the emboldened section being posted by me some time ago.

Let's just wait and see how we get on over the next month or so. If we get to the split and are within touching distance of second, I'll be delighted. Even more so if we are in touch with first.

Two things need to happen in the next month or so for us to be considered as challengers.

First, we're going to drop points soon. We're going to play badly and lose. Our response to that MUST be the same response that one of the Old Firm teams would make. i.e. put it to one side and double the efforts to get it back the next week.

The OF games. We must take something from two Glasgow visits in January IMO, even if its two draws or one win and a defeat we'll have to take something. Not losing to Rangers at home is also a must IMO. Losing all 3 finishes the argument there and then IMO

If we're still there at the end of January our confidence has to be sky high and its then a question of maintaining bottle over what is a relatively easy run in to the split. If we're still up there come the split, then anything can happen.

I agree with Ewan on most of what he says, the emboldened section being posted by me some time ago.

Let's just wait and see how we get on over the next month or so. If we get to the split and are within touching distance of second, I'll be delighted. Even more so if we are in touch with first.

Correct. The only bit of Murray's article I'm not sure about is the bit saying that Celtic have a better first XI than us. I'm not convinced that they do, to be honest - I reckon we're about even at full strength.

Archived