Activities next week with the Kids, any ideas??

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Whats everyone up to? I`m taking my 2 to East fortune arfield to see concorde, They want to go to the Zoo aswell (extortianate!!!). Nothing else planned as yet, any ideas? Does the Commonwealth pool still have flumes?

Doctor FinnBarr

Try the 5 Sisters Zoo at West Calder, not as big as Edinburgh but a lot cheaper, ?10 for 2 adults and a sprog last year.:107years:

davemclaren
Whats everyone up to? I`m taking my 2 to East fortune arfield to see concorde, They want to go to the Zoo aswell (extortianate!!!). Nothing else planned as yet, any ideas? Does the Commonwealth pool still have flumes?

Flumes closed years ago.

Museums - Chambers Street, Mining Museum

Train ride across the forth bridge and back with a possible visit to that aqautic place

Dynamic Earth

Kellogs cereals were running a promotion where a child goes free with every paying adult for the Zoo. There is a voucher on the side of the cereal packets. Will bring the cost down a bit !!

blondejamtart

If you're going down to East Lothian, you could also check out the Scottish Seabird Centre at North Berwick, and East Links Family Park (just outside Dunbar) has lots for the kids to do.

Dirk Diggler

East links is good.

We were at Deep Sea World a couple of weeks ago, The restaurant is pricey as hell. As someone has said though, look out for the Kelloggs promotions, 2 for 1 entry at both the Zoo and Deep Sea World.

Might go to Blair Drummond during the week weather depending.

Come to the Zoo, see the UK's only polar bears and koalas. Experience our new rainbow lorikeet enclosure where you can go in with a pot of nectar and the birds will land on you to eat the nectar. Sometimes there can be up to 8 birds on you at a time.

Come back in May when our multi million pound chimpanzee exhibit will be opened to the public. The Zoo is an all day experience so when you work out the per hour price it is good value when compared to other leisure activities...

Come to the Zoo, see the UK's only polar bears and koalas. Experience our new rainbow lorikeet enclosure where you can go in with a pot of nectar and the birds will land on you to eat the nectar. Sometimes there can be up to 8 birds on you at a time.

Come back in May when our multi million pound chimpanzee exhibit will be opened to the public. The Zoo is an all day experience so when you work out the per hour price it is good value when compared to other leisure activities...

Yes, it's so nice to see the polar bears rocking back and forth out of sheer boredom. Also watch many other animals which normally walk miles every day, couped up in tiny enclosures. They are really happy you know! If you are in any doubt, watch how happy the big cats are at being confined to a 20 ft square pen. ****ing loving it so they are!

Zoos are evil. Have nothing to do with them.

Dirk Diggler
Yes, it's so nice to see the polar bears rocking back and forth out of sheer boredom. Also watch many other animals which normally walk miles every day, couped up in tiny enclosures. They are really happy you know! If you are in any doubt, watch how happy the big cats are at being confined to a 20 ft square pen. ****ing loving it so they are!

What did you have for your tea tonight?

What did you have for your tea tonight?

Foie gras for starter.

Pork curry (battery pig) & rice from one of the slave paddy fields (cheap as feck).

:rolleyes:

blondejamtart

You could also take a trip out to Newtongrange and visit the Scottish Mining Museum - recently voted Scotland's top national treasure! :thumb:

Dirk Diggler
You could also take a trip out to Newtongrange and visit the Scottish Mining Museum - recently voted Scotland's top national treasure! :thumb:

Funnily enough, The 'Nittin' locals describe the wheels of the visitors cars as a national treasure.

:laugh:

Did i ever tell you about my only ever night out in Newtongrange?

I got chased out of the place from a Santa Clause wielding a carving knife.

True story.

blondejamtart
Funnily enough, The 'Nittin' locals describe the wheels of the visitors cars as a national treasure.

:laugh:

Did i ever tell you about my only ever night out in Newtongrange?

I got chased out of the place from a Santa Clause wielding a carving knife.

True story.

Hey hey, I make no comment about Nitten locals.....it's a wild place, right enough! (but the museum is worth a visit, honest!) :D

Pete Seeger

Blair Drummond safari park opened up this week. If you female check out the new extension at the sea lion toilet block. I did all the plumbing a couple of months ago. It will interest you all greatly I'm sure. There's a new baby Rhino come this year. All very exciting :rolleyes: It is a good place for kids though

Its funny but I've driven past there loads of times and I've never ever felt the need to go in.

Is it really any good (honestly) ?

Dirk Diggler
Hey hey, I make no comment about Nitten locals.....it's a wild place, right enough! (but the museum is worth a visit, honest!) :D

:)

It is, I'll give you that.

What I will say is the car wash just down the road from there is the best bar none.

:D

Visit Newtongrange folks, You know it makes sense.

Dirk Diggler
Its funny but I've driven past there loads of times and I've never ever felt the need to go in.

Is it really any good (honestly) ?

It is decent LC.

I'm from the area and have family who were in the 'industry' so can maybe relate to it more than others but i'd recommend it.

Not cheap or particularly easy BUT

if you can try and go skiing this week. Glencoe has been smashed by snow. Check out the weather and make sure it's not too windy.

2hr drive, I'm hopefully going on Sunday

It is decent LC.

I'm from the area and have family who were in the 'industry' so can maybe relate to it more than others but i'd recommend it.

Still think I'd be struggling to convince the bairn that its worth a visit mate.

If it had MSN, sheeite music and her knobby wee mates there then it would be game on.

Blair Drummond safari park opened up this week. If you female check out the new extension at the sea lion toilet block. I did all the plumbing a couple of months ago. It will interest you all greatly I'm sure. There's a new baby Rhino come this year. All very exciting :rolleyes: It is a good place for kids though

The sea lions have their own toilets...??.....geez...they train them pretty well there........

You have obviously not been to Edinburgh Zoo for a while, if ever.....

Check your facts before posting this nonsense.

Zoos have saved many species from going extinct and are involved in conservation projects across the world to preserve species and habitats for our future generations.

Zoos have moved on a lot since the early days of irons barred cages and chimp tea parties, but some of these animals are still alive eg polar bear. What do you suggest we do? provide an enrichment filled habitat or simply let it go on Corstorphine Hill ????

"20ft square pen" - do you even know what 20 sq ft looks like? have you seen our lion enclosure? its big enough for a couple of pitches and it must be a suitable breeding environment for these endangered asiatic lions as they have produced a few litters since they moved in 5-6 years ago.

Apologies for the rant but it really winds me up when people spout this kind of anti zoo propaganda without researching what they say.

Zoos have saved many species from going extinct and are involved in conservation projects across the world to preserve species and habitats for our future generations.

Zoos have moved on a lot since the early days of irons barred cages and chimp tea parties, but some of these animals are still alive eg polar bear. What do you suggest we do? provide an enrichment filled habitat or simply let it go on Corstorphine Hill ????

"20ft square pen" - do you even know what 20 sq ft looks like? have you seen our lion enclosure? its big enough for a couple of pitches and it must be a suitable breeding environment for these endangered asiatic lions as they have produced a few litters since they moved in 5-6 years ago.

Apologies for the rant but it really winds me up when people spout this kind of anti zoo propaganda without researching what they say.

Don't apologise mate.

It's just my opinion.

I don't like it. I don't think the animals are happy.

I might be wrong.

It's just not for me.

Chill.

chester copperpot

Swimming for me and the wee lad tomorrow, he's really looking forward to it, this is then followed by a trip to pick up my car from Edinburgh, then a visit to my sisters.

This always cheers my wee lad up, as her house is a madhouse.

:mw_rolleyes:

Don't apologise mate.

It's just my opinion.

I might be wrong.

It's just not for me.

Chill.

Cool mate, just..conservation pays my wages, and season ticket. So i have to be passionate about it.

We do have a part to play in the survival of certain species; partula snails would not be here if it weren't for zoos, they are not as "sexy" as rhinos or giraffes but have an equal part in the food chain / evolution process.

I went up to see our polar bear, Mercedes today and she was chucking about her toys an rolling in the mud and seemed to be having fun.

ps i've had a few easter beers, excuse any nonsensical typing...

North Berwick Jambo

Took my youngest & five of her friends to Alien Rock on Pier Place for a bit of indoor climbing on Saturday, not too expensive & they all had a great time.

Don't apologise mate.

It's just my opinion.

I might be wrong.

It's just not for me.

Chill.

Zoo's are like prisons for the animals and I'm sure they would be happier if they were set free but we all want to have a look at them so we have to lock them up as we can't just let them roam the streets.

MackaysCentreSpot

I am bringing the kids to the zoo while they are on holiday for the first time in years.

So I will reserve my judgement until then and will post my views but I must say the last visit to the zoo, Stairboys description of it was pretty much spot on.

Zoo's are like prisons for the animals and I'm sure they would be happier if they were set free but we all want to have a look at them so we have to lock them up as we can't just let them roam the streets.

The argument could be that if we want to see them, then we should go to THEIR habitat. Don't bring them into ours.

Still, the guy has a point. Conservation is a good thing.

I'm just not into locking up animals in small places for the 'education' of a bunch of folk who couldn't give a **** about the differance between an anteater & a big huge sumo pig beast (that stinks).

basher the jambo

Edinburgh Charity Game 2008

Tynecastle Stadium

Sunday 30th March 2008

Kick Off 2pm

?5/?3 concessions (Pay at The Gate)

It going to be a cracking game.

Archived