Transfer window

Jamhammer

Going great guns and long may it continue.

Many times, in recent years the acquisition of a couple of players at crucial times could have won us the league IMO.

This window could be crucial to us. I think we are just maybe 2 or 3 players short of having a squad capable of sustaining a challenge.

Firstly will we hold on to our best players?

Wallace, Driver and Suso to come back. But would you play Driver or Suso in place of guys currently in the team? and can Driver stay fit?

We could do with cover at the back and up front but surely anyone coming in would be looking to be playing in the first team.

Is there anyone, in our price range who could improve us?

Thoughts.

I think that Vlad should push the boat out in January and sign as best a quality centre half that he can afford.This would bring Zali on further, give us depth of cover(Boozy's dropped) and if teams don't lose goals they don't lose games!

I would fancy us to go close/win the league.

and i'm not on anything!

I posted the above yesterday and after watching Zalis poor distribution last night i think this is now vital. Vlad needs to realise that the SPL is there for the taking. Our defence is not the quickest and Motherwell tried to exploit that last night. There's no doubt that Wallace will improve the back 4 but i don't think we should stop at that.

The team is good enough to beat Rangers and Celtic but the ref's might be a bigger problem!

Victor Meldrew

Ironically, the player I think we need is Goncalves - a quick defender who can play CB but also provide cover at LB.

Someone similar would be good....

I'd try to offload some of the deadwood: Kucharski, Witteveen, Mole etc.

There is some deadwood but none currently really near the 1st team. What I meant was who, if anyone would you drop from the current starting XI to make way for new signings. Would it be a case of, for the sake of argument, dropping Jonsson for a right back knowing that we had Eggy as cover or Pala for a left back knowing he can cover midfield in case of injuries. Anyone coming in would not, IMO be happy being cover. I genuinely think we are only a couple of players away from splitting the gruesome twosome but I'm not sure if those two players are Driver and Wallace.

I'd bring Lee in for Pala and leave the team as it is (with Eggy at RB and Blackie in the middle).

Thing is, we'll get imjuries and suspensions. Having Driver, Suso and The Big O available will be invaluable.

I think we could do with cover at RB/CH. Last night confirmed Barr won't do for now. Not saying he won't improve but I think we need someone more comfortable to slot in there and push Eggy/Bouzid for a place more than Barr will or is at the moment.

I also think we could do with another energetic midfielder (maybe Bryson?). Stevo is a good player but he doesn't provide cover for Black or Adrian cos he's so different to them. Suppose if we've another trusted RB, Eggy can slot in there.

So a RB/CH (infact a defender who can play right across the back (LB as well) would be amazing, but hard to find!) and a midfielder and I think we'll be in a very strong position.

Maybe Robinson or Holt could be that midfielder of course....

I'd bring Lee in for Pala and leave the team as it is (with Eggy at RB and Blackie in the middle).

Thing is, we'll get imjuries and suspensions. Having Driver, Suso and The Big O available will be invaluable.

I think we could do with cover at RB/CH. Last night confirmed Barr won't do for now. Not saying he won't improve but I think we need someone more comfortable to slot in there and push Eggy/Bouzid for a place more than Barr will or is at the moment.

I also think we could do with another energetic midfielder (maybe Bryson?). Stevo is a good player but he doesn't provide cover for Black or Adrian cos he's so different to them. Suppose if we've another trusted RB, Eggy can slot in there.

So a RB/CH (infact a defender who can play right across the back (LB as well) would be amazing, but hard to find!) and a midfielder and I think we'll be in a very strong position.

Maybe Robinson or Holt could be that midfielder of course....

Don't agree with this post at all.

Barr had a decent game and will come into his own.

Bryson is no better than Stevo imo.

I think that Vlad should push the boat out in January and sign as best a quality centre half that he can afford.This would bring Zali on further, give us depth of cover(Boozy's dropped) and if teams don't lose goals they don't lose games!

I would fancy us to go close/win the league.

and i'm not on anything!

I posted the above yesterday and after watching Zalis poor distribution last night i think this is now vital. Vlad needs to realise that the SPL is there for the taking. Our defence is not the quickest and Motherwell tried to exploit that last night. There's no doubt that Wallace will improve the back 4 but i don't think we should stop at that.

The team is good enough to beat Rangers and Celtic but the ref's might be a bigger problem!

Completely agree a good centre half must be our highest priority.

Don't agree with this post at all.

Barr had a decent game and will come into his own.

Bryson is no better than Stevo imo.

I think Barr did OK second half but 1st half Murphy was getting in behind him all the time (but doing nowt) and he looked shit scared on the ball. Rusty maybe and can be forgiven - really not having a go at him and I think that just maybe he might go down the Elvis route - looks awfy shaky but gets himself sorted and becomes a rock for us.

I don't think that'll happen this season though and if we want to challenge this year I think we need to cover the positions he currently covers.

Wasn't touting Bryson as my choice, more someone I think we might go back for. Very different type of player to Stevo anyway. Bryson has more energy and running in him. I think Stevenson can be a very useful player for us but a different type of midfielder to him would give us more cover in there. As I said, wouldn't mind seenig Robsinson or Holt given a go, but I'm not the man to state whether they are ready

I think that we are shaping up really really well but still have this terrible feeling that we won't be allowed to keep our strongest team on the park for the rest of the season - be that with dirty tatics by the oppsition or the SFA getting the daggers out. I can see injuries and suspensions coming into play so we do need better quality cover but one thing I will say about last night is that I was very impressed by the discipline shown by JJ's new look and more unified Hearts team. Motherwell at some points were looking to get a rise out of us and they didn't get it. We remained focused and stuck to the task at hand instead of getting involved too much in the argy bargy - that's what the classy teams do. As long as we keep the heid they can't do too much damage to us.

I would love to see 3 signings but I know this is unrealistic. As the thread asks though, what would you like to see to get us in the title hunt? Well, I would like a defender, a midfielder and a striker! I'd like to see a right footed CB who can also cover RB (Barr is ok but nothing better than OK - I would like him to shock me though, I will give every player in maroon a chance). Wallace coming back should sort out LB and we haven't been shipping goals anyway. A CB/ RB would steady us even more I feel and give good cover/ competition for places. Sets us up well for having a stable platform to have a pop at getting to at least the group stages of the Europa League - that has got to be the goal for me. Realistic, attainable yet challenging all the way.

In midfield I really really like the balance, like Mrowiec a lot - is it just me that thinks he is doing a great job? He's not quite Julien Brellier but then again he also doesn't have a rubbish disciplinary record and doesnt appear to be a total buttplug! Loving Temps, Skacel and Stevo. Blackie is hit and miss, more hit than miss though and I get the feeling he would die for the cause. I wouldn't change much in here but perhaps add a younger spark in the middle to try and riff with Temps/ Driver? I wouldn't be sad to see the back of David O to bring in someone who can drive box to box - if only we had Hartley in the form he was in 4 years ago! We need someone young and hungry here - any thoughts? Eggy and Ruben must stay also.

Up front - love KK. He is a pest, a nuiscance, a big bulldozer of a centre forward. Some control and touches last night were immense from long balls, others not so good but wins EVERYTHING he gets thrown at him in the air. Stephen Elliott is lively, sparky and needs a wee touch more confidence but he could be a real find. I would love to see us pick one more striker up just to give us a wee option there. Kyle, Elliott, Elliot and A N Other could provide great cover/ competition.

Going great guns and long may it continue.

Many times, in recent years the acquisition of a couple of players at crucial times could have won us the league IMO.

This window could be crucial to us. I think we are just maybe 2 or 3 players short of having a squad capable of sustaining a challenge.

Firstly will we hold on to our best players?

Wallace, Driver and Suso to come back. But would you play Driver or Suso in place of guys currently in the team? and can Driver stay fit?

We could do with cover at the back and up front but surely anyone coming in would be looking to be playing in the first team.

Is there anyone, in our price range who could improve us?

Thoughts.

I really think that we need a quality, composed central midfielder. Black and Stevenson are fine as cover. I would go for Alex Neil from Hamilton and ditch Kucharski, Witteveen & Mole.

Charlie-Brown

First and foremost we must not upset the apple cart - the squad has grown stronger together and we want to maintain our form and rising confidence levels, also having some key players returning from injury will help give the squad a boost going into the 2nd half of the season. Regards transfer activity this should be minimal given we already have too many players - hopefully no key players sold, some fringe players loaned out or moved on and at most only 1 or 2 new players signed but we can probably be okay without signing any as the returning players will seem like new signings to boost team strength and squad morale anyway.

I won't be upset with the transfer window as long as we can keep what we've got right now, but there are areas we can improve if the opportunity arises. We don't really have anyone who can play the Kyle role at the moment, and I do think that's important for the way we are playing, especially as he will miss games through suspension at some point. Also, a decent CB who can cover one of the full back positions, preferably right back, would be helpful - not convinced by any of the alternatives to Zal/Bouzid right now. If Vlad wants to spend money to try and push on, I suppose he could just go and buy a quality right back for the rest of this season, as that's probably currently the weakest spot in the first team.

I'm quite happy with the midfield at the minute - I think it has a good balance, which would be screwed up by getting in a more attacking player than Mrowiec/Black, and I think Palazuelos can cover for them once Lee comes back.

Charlie-Brown

I won't be upset with the transfer window as long as we can keep what we've got right now, but there are areas we can improve if the opportunity arises. We don't really have anyone who can play the Kyle role at the moment, and I do think that's important for the way we are playing, especially as he will miss games through suspension at some point. Also, a decent CB who can cover one of the full back positions, preferably right back, would be helpful - not convinced by any of the alternatives to Zal/Bouzid right now. If Vlad wants to spend money to try and push on, I suppose he could just go and buy a quality right back for the rest of this season, as that's probably currently the weakest spot in the first team.

I'm quite happy with the midfield at the minute - I think it has a good balance, which would be screwed up by getting in a more attacking player than Mrowiec/Black, and I think Palazuelos can cover for them once Lee comes back.

John Sutton at Motherwell is out of contract next summer and might be considered a useful squad addition either for january if we could get him for a modest fee or on a pre-contract for next season, has a 1:3 goal per game ratio in the SPL which is a very decent record for a player many would describe as a target man similar to Kevin Kyle.

career stats here http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/john-sutton/leistungsdaten/spieler_14735.html

Charlie-Brown

i can remember JJ saying that he had his eye on a midfielder with an eye for a killer pass..wonder who that could be?

Has to be either Xavi or Iniesta? ;)

Pessimism or realism but I don't see us catching the old firm over the rest of this season and as we have too many players I would leave well alone apart from midfield cover and only add further at the back if we shift some players out.

Team spirit seems good now with a decent blend of bench strength and no frustrated players but that may change with the returning players, accepting that we have got used to a high percentage of long term injuries.

Charlie-Brown

Pessimism or realism but I don't see us catching the old firm over the rest of this season and as we have too many players I would leave well alone apart from midfield cover and only add further at the back if we shift some players out.

Team spirit seems good now with a decent blend of bench strength and no frustrated players but that may change with the returning players, accepting that we have got used to a high percentage of long term injuries.

I agree with this post ..... After reading this recent article http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Hearts-kid-called-up-for.6615495.jp it wouldn't surprise me to see Mantas Fridrikas pitch up at Tynecastle in the near future to provide some defensive cover for Zaliukas and Bouzid as the kid has probably outgrown FBK Kaunas current level?

John Sutton at Motherwell is out of contract next summer and might be considered a useful squad addition either for january if we could get him for a modest fee or on a pre-contract for next season, has a 1:3 goal per game ratio in the SPL which is a very decent record for a player many would describe as a target man similar to Kevin Kyle.

career stats here http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/john-sutton/leistungsdaten/spieler_14735.html

Yeah, but I doubt he'd be happy sitting on the bench all the time. I'm a bit worried that when KK misses games it changes the whole attacking shape of the team - if we lose any of the other attacking players we have replacements that can come in - Novikovas, Stevenson, one t, and Driver and Suso to come back still, but nobody who can do the same sort of job as Kyle. Then again, I'm not sure who we could get that could do it well, and would be happy to be the second choice for the position.

I kind of think that the question, if we want to strengthen now, and the club may sensibly want to see if we can continue the run we're on before making a decision on this, is who would you be worried about, if they were out for the rest of the season. I would suggest Zaliukas, Kyle and Jonsson would be the main three for me - everyone else we have enough cover for. Actually, I could live with Barr covering for Jonsson, but Barr/Bouzid at CH would make me cry.

Why change things if they are not broke,JJ is talking about maybe one addition a mid-fielder I would wait until the summer and get rid of more deadwood.

Grumpy.

I think that it will depend on what players attract attention from others,that and mr Romanov`s desire for us to progress.............. show him the money and we will see what transpires.

No one of any real talent should be allowed to go.

Get in a Centre half of proven worth, we need the cover. We may get by without the elusive attacking mid until next season.

scott herbertson

An old centre forward who can stand in for Kyle when he is suspended or injured, but who doesn't mind just playing a part when needed -someone like the Craig Brewster of three years ago, an old head who can link up play calmly when we need to stay in a game

A creative forward thinking midfielder, but no big egos

Archived