Traffic jam ettiquette

Jamboy81

This really gets on my tits, why do these people think they can just barge in at the last minute? I became a "blocker" this moring and it was truly liberating, much to the fury of the fat ******* in his jeep behind me trying to get past. Hahaha hopefully i made him late :)

Cairneyhill Jambo

Worst for me is heading north on the Forth Road Bridge every night.

Knobheads, normally in flashy expensive cars, 4x4's or white van man try and barge their way in just as the outside lane merges with the middle lane.

I've stoppped letting anyone in now. ****s think they own the road.

I P Knightley

Can you describe the circumstances?

Was there a tailback in the inside lane and plenty of open space in the outside lane?

Carl Spackler

When it's down to crawling pace one car for one car that's it. Those that fly to the front can sit and wait as far as I'm concerned, I don't let the in.

Can you describe the circumstances?

Was there a tailback in the inside lane and plenty of open space in the outside lane?

Yes, and obviously some people can't be bothered waiting, fly down the outside lane and barge in at the last minute. slowing everything down even more.

This really gets on my tits, why do these people think they can just barge in at the last minute? I became a "blocker" this moring and it was truly liberating, much to the fury of the fat ******* in his jeep behind me trying to get past. Hahaha hopefully i made him late :)

The problem is guys like you who don't know how to use the road properly. Both lanes should be used and cars merge in turn just before the obstruction. Doing this allows the traffic to flow and keeps the length of the queue down. So those 'barging in' as you say are actually in the right and to add to that deliberately blocking the road is illegal.

I P Knightley

Yes, and obviously some people can't be bothered waiting, fly down the outside lane and barge in at the last minute. slowing everything down even more.

So you would prefer to have a queue tailing back twice as far, blocking twice as many junctions and creating knock-on congestion in the side roads behind you, coupled with the increase in greenhouse gases released by those vehicles that are blocked in by your tailback?

Yet you give grief to those who use the roads efficiently?

I hope you at least have the decency to use your handbrake rather than ride the clutch.

I don't mind if someone has obviously mistaken the flow of traffic and has found themselves caught out (it's usually easy enough to spot them).

It's the cretens who deliberately drive to the front of the queues and sit indicating who annoy me. I never let them in.

Guest GhostHunter

Roadworks are great - a full 800 yds notice yet they wait until the last yardage to squeeze in.

I never let them in, they can crash through the cones for all I care cos they aint getting in front of me.

:thumbsup:

So you would prefer to have a queue tailing back twice as far, blocking twice as many junctions and creating knock-on congestion in the side roads behind you, coupled with the increase in greenhouse gases released by those vehicles that are blocked in by your tailback?

Yet you give grief to those who use the roads efficiently?

I hope you at least have the decency to use your handbrake rather than ride the clutch.

Efficiently :laugh: There was no danger of any side roads being congested where I was - it was folk blatantly trying to jump the queue.

If everyone got in line in the order they arrived, there'd be no slowing down as traffic merged later on. Why should I wait if others aren't, maybe it would be better to just have a free-for-all at the front of the queue?

The People's Chimp

The problem is guys like you who don't know how to use the road properly. Both lanes should be used and cars merge in turn just before the obstruction. Doing this allows the traffic to flow and keeps the length of the queue down. So those 'barging in' as you say are actually in the right and to add to that deliberately blocking the road is illegal.

Spot on. The OP is clueless.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I drove half way round the M25 going North yesterday and then back down down South again. Absolute mayhem and idiots who must have a permanent death wish.

The roads in Scotland are paradise and the drivers are fantastic.

I P Knightley

Efficiently :laugh: There was no danger of any side roads being congested where I was - it was folk blatantly trying to jump the queue.

If everyone got in line in the order they arrived, there'd be no slowing down as traffic merged later on. Why should I wait if others aren't, maybe it would be better to just have a free-for-all at the front of the queue?

...jumping a queue that had no need to be there.

If people used both lanes all the way up to the merging point, leaving space to allow merging in turn, there would be no difference at all. Folk sitting still in the inside lane when there's acres of free tarmac to the right of them equally makes no difference but ends up with some folk getting hot under the collar.

Taking your argument to its logical conclusion, there wouldn't be an overtaking lane anywhere as we'd all just sit behind each other until our junction.

...jumping a queue that had no need to be there.

I think you misunderstand the situation - The queue was already there. Then I stopped at the end of that queue but in the outside lane, in the order I arrived, and another queue formed behind me, essentially forming one big queue. The traffic then began to flow in an orderly manner. Thankfully the kind gentleman in front of me kept the space open for me to nip back in and everyone else was left outside.

:pleasing:

I P Knightley

I think you misunderstand the situation - The queue was already there. Then I stopped at the end of that queue but in the outside lane, in the order I arrived, and another queue formed behind me, essentially forming one big queue. The traffic then began to flow in an orderly manner. Thankfully the kind gentleman in front of me kept the space open for me to nip back in and everyone else was left outside.

:pleasing:

Aha!

So you created the dual carriageway queue? And without upsetting those in the inside lane who had not had the gumption to do so themselves.

You're correct. I misunderstood.

Excellent work. You should go on the traffic cameras online (if possible) and see whether your fine work is still there with 2 nice lanes funnelling towards the obstruction :)

Can't remember where I was, but it was on the M6 I think and a scenario like the one described came up.

Everyone to a man drove up to the block part of the outside lane and merged in turn - one forward, one in and repeat. We slowed a bit to allow the merging but the whole process was quick and efficient with little delay to our journey.

Can't remember where I was, but it was on the M6 I think and a scenario like the one described came up.

Everyone to a man drove up to the block part of the outside lane and merged in turn - one forward, one in and repeat. We slowed a bit to allow the merging but the whole process was quick and efficient with little delay to our journey.

It seldom happens though does it?

Ideally, if it's a lane restriction, people should be merging early doors and then, ideally, we can all romp through at a reasonable

30mph. Now although the OP has cleared up the misunderstanding I imagine he's still pointing the finger at people who have no intention of waiting in any length of queue with us proles

I don't mind if someone has obviously mistaken the flow of traffic and has found themselves caught out (it's usually easy enough to spot them).

It's the cretens who deliberately drive to the front of the queues and sit indicating who annoy me. I never let them in.

This. :thumbsup:

It seldom happens though does it?

Ideally, if it's a lane restriction, people should be merging early doors and then, ideally, we can all romp through at a reasonable

30mph. Now although the OP has cleared up the misunderstanding I imagine he's still pointing the finger at people who have no intention of waiting in any length of queue with us proles

I think as long as everyone merges at the same point otherwise you get the scenario of people merging early, then a bit nearer and then those who fly up to the barrier being seen as trying to force their way in.

It was such a rare occurrence that it will probably be one of those anecdotes I repeat every other week when I'm a senile auld goat. :D

Those shiesters wind me up. The lane on the Gogar roundabout coming off the bypass going right towards Comet is bad for that. Never let these gits in line.

Miller Jambo 60

Its always fatties in 4x4s, cos they dont have to shovel their driveways.

Always seem to come out of cramond, mups.

Miller Jambo 60

I drove half way round the M25 going North yesterday and then back down down South again. Absolute mayhem and idiots who must have a permanent death wish.

The roads in Scotland are paradise and the drivers are fantastic.

You drive me round the bend withoot a car, and my mobi is goosed will get back to you wi my new number

Miller Jambo 60

Worst for me is heading north on the Forth Road Bridge every night.

Knobheads, normally in flashy expensive cars, 4x4's or white van man try and barge their way in just as the outside lane merges with the middle lane.

I've stoppped letting anyone in now. ****s think they own the road.

Taxi driver called me a nob end out his passenger window as he nearly killed me on the barnton maybury road.

They hate a u turn on a busy road.

Got his number and will receive a xmas card wi poo inside it.

Paulie Walnut

"Blockers" like you are ignorant idiots that cause road rage and accidents. If there is 2 lanes you use them even in heavy traffic and accidents maybe if you were more considerate to let theses people filter in the traffic would move quicker.

I always drive to the end of the fast lane and cut in if there is a queue at roadworks. If you want to sit in a queue that's your choice, my choice is to take advantage of the available road and get through the traffic as quickly as possible. Had an incident a while ago where a big white merc van pulled out to block the outside lane as I was cruising up it at 40 looking to cut in. He moved late (prob saw me in his wingmirror) and was very close to causing an accident. Only my great driving skills allowed me to swerve around him (prob came within an inch of the central reservation) and not go into the back of him. The best part was that I was then able to pull into the inside lane in the space he had vacated, he came alongside me shouting and swearing as I laughed at him but the cones were approaching so he had to fallback and indicate to get back into inside lane. If I had crashed into the back of his van I would like to think the police would have charged him with dangerous driving (cos I'd then have sued him).

Seen some right arseholes on the road that think they can go to the end of the queue and get let in.

While it may be legal to drive there, its also legal not to let them in. The key word here is "etiquette". If you are taking liberties, don't expect people to let you in.

If you stop well before the end of the queue, and indicate to let people allow you in, then fair enough.

Seen some right roasters on Ferry Road, who will drive through a red light in a lane for turning right to go straight on when the left hand lane "ahead" filter is green.

Driving involves everyone following the same rules, and chancers, ****wits, and generally shit drivers will try anything legal or illegal to avoid showing courtesy to other drivers.

I think "blockers" have every right not to let in the queue jumpers.

Queue jumpers are selfish fecks that think everyone else is just waiting about because they have ef all to do. Blocking is cool. :thumbsup:

I always drive to the end of the fast lane and cut in if there is a queue at roadworks. If you want to sit in a queue that's your choice, my choice is to take advantage of the available road and get through the traffic as quickly as possible. Had an incident a while ago where a big white merc van pulled out to block the outside lane as I was cruising up it at 40 looking to cut in. He moved late (prob saw me in his wingmirror) and was very close to causing an accident. Only my great driving skills allowed me to swerve around him (prob came within an inch of the central reservation) and not go into the back of him. The best part was that I was then able to pull into the inside lane in the space he had vacated, he came alongside me shouting and swearing as I laughed at him but the cones were approaching so he had to fallback and indicate to get back into inside lane. If I had crashed into the back of his van I would like to think the police would have charged him with dangerous driving (cos I'd then have sued him).

If you'd crashed into the back of his van it would have been your fault. Thats how it works. Just as well not everyone's a selfish **** like you though eh? Otherwise the roads would be chaos and you might get held up.

If you'd crashed into the back of his van it would have been your fault. Thats how it works. Just as well not everyone's a selfish **** like you though eh? Otherwise the roads would be chaos and you might get held up.

No if I'd crashed into him it would have been his fault as his manouvere was highly dangerous, I was driving safely in outside lane following the road signs which said 'merge in turn'. On the rare occasion I decide to sit in the queue then I always allow 'queue jumpers' to merge in front of me cos I appreciate they might be in a hurry - I'm not selfish.

No if I'd crashed into him it would have been his fault as his manouvere was highly dangerous, I was driving safely in outside lane following the road signs which said 'merge in turn'. On the rare occasion I decide to sit in the queue then I always allow 'queue jumpers' to merge in front of me cos I appreciate they might be in a hurry - I'm not selfish.

You are always at fault if you run into the back of someone.

In any case you are trying to justify making other people that have queued wait on you while you queue jump? You are describing a clear case of selfish driving, with no respect for fellow drivers, and a clear lack of experience on the roads.

What you have written there justifies precisely why I never let queue jumpers in, and laugh when they get stuck in the wrong lane.

You are always at fault if you run into the back of someone.

In any case you are trying to justify making other people that have queued wait on you while you queue jump? You are describing a clear case of selfish driving, with no respect for fellow drivers, and a clear lack of experience on the roads.

What you have written there justifies precisely why I never let queue jumpers in, and laugh when they get stuck in the wrong lane.

Not if someone has manoeuvred in your way ie you're on the outside lane of the motorway just approaching someone to pass them and they pull out at the last moment and you go into there arse, are you honestly saying you'd be responsible?

The obvious answer of course is no, read what the quoted poster said and tell me what's different

I do both

If i'm merging i may as well get as close to the front as i can. People may call me a ###### but i'm ahead and in the safety of my car

On the other hand if someone tries that on me a would happily endanger myself and passengers to keep them from getting in

Not if someone has manoeuvred in your way ie you're on the outside lane of the motorway just approaching someone to pass them and they pull out at the last moment and you go into there arse, are you honestly saying you'd be responsible?

The obvious answer of course is no, read what the quoted poster said and tell me what's different

Not the same as someone who is jumping the queue of traffic trying to merge into another road, when their lane is ending.

You are always considered the guilty party if you run into the back of another vehicle, regardless of the circumstances. It may seem harsh, but that is the criteria the insurance firms apply.

The Old Tolbooth

The way I see it is that if there is 2 lanes, then feckin well use both of them!!

If I'm in the left hand lane and cars are tearing down my outside I have no problem with that, because it's "my" choice to be in that lane and "their" choice to be in the right hand lane, if it works the other way around then it's "my" choice to be in the right hand lane and I wouldn't expect some prick to pull out in front of me to illegally block the road as if they pay more road tax than I do, in fact I'd probably take their number and report them for dangerous driving, because they 100% deserve it!

The TWO lanes are there for a reason!

Miller Jambo 60

Like that mate away to wrap my hearts scarf round the hobos x mas lights next door.

The bit I hate is the Gogar roudabout. Different situation, because it's not a merge - these feckers just don't like the look of the bottleneck so tear up the wrong lane and try to barge in. Nobs.

Liquidator is also correct in his assessment. :thumbsup:

The way I see it is that if there is 2 lanes, then feckin well use both of them!!

If I'm in the left hand lane and cars are tearing down my outside I have no problem with that, because it's "my" choice to be in that lane and "their" choice to be in the right hand lane, if it works the other way around then it's "my" choice to be in the right hand lane and I wouldn't expect some prick to pull out in front of me to illegally block the road as if they pay more road tax than I do, in fact I'd probably take their number and report them for dangerous driving, because they 100% deserve it!

The TWO lanes are there for a reason!

Well said sir. I don't even drive and I know that this is the correct procedure.

Some absolute roasters on this thread.

Indeed

:verysmug:

iamcraigbeattie

Well im thankfully one of those sensible drivers who sees two lanes and uses them for the purpose they were created for. If it was wrong it would be illegal but its not.

Does it bother me that one person is cool enough to look straight ahead and not let me in.....no because 9 times out of 10 the next person will. Ill still have saved myself 10 - 15 mins.

Go on try it yourself you might just enjoy it!!

The Old Tolbooth

Well im thankfully one of those sensible drivers who sees two lanes and uses them for the purpose they were created for. If it was wrong it would be illegal but its not.

Does it bother me that one person is cool enough to look straight ahead and not let me in.....no because 9 times out of 10 the next person will. Ill still have saved myself 10 - 15 mins.

Go on try it yourself you might just enjoy it!!

Exactly Ali!

If I ever see you coming down my right hand side I'll be sure to let you in mate, it's common courtesy :thumbsup:

Not the same as someone who is jumping the queue of traffic trying to merge into another road, when their lane is ending.

You are always considered the guilty party if you run into the back of another vehicle, regardless of the circumstances. It may seem harsh, but that is the criteria the insurance firms apply.

So if I was driving and someone behind me was too close and being a dick I could slam the breaks on, then if he didn't hit me I could reverse into him and I'd be ok?

So if I was driving and someone behind me was too close and being a dick I could slam the breaks on, then if he didn't hit me I could reverse into him and I'd be ok?

You would have to prove you didn't drive into the back of him. As I said, that is the way insurers see it - doesn't seem fair, but that is the way it works.

Therefore the onus is on you to ensure you don't drive into the back of a car.

If someone tried what you describe (stop and reverse into you), I wouldn't be worrying about the law, I'd be getting out of the car and beat the shit out of the driver in front. To me, the driver is trying to put you at harm, and would need to learn a lesson. In reality, I've only heard of this type of thing where road rage occurs due to shit driving, and one driver cutting up another.

Also, on this thread some people have missed the point a number of people have made about the number of lanes. Of course I wouldn't try and block an active lane (I'd just not let them in) - I'm talking about when you have to merge to get into a lane as your lane runs out, and some ###### drive straight to the front then that is where the blockers come in. The inside lane is a "dead" lane running out, and the drivers should indicate and merge as soon as possible instead of driving ahead of the queue.

I've seen a number of blockers at the Gogar (and done the blocking myself), where this may still be the case (not driven that way in a while).

I drive with courtesy to other drivers as I'd expect others to do so for me, and don't take the piss.

I usually see the queue and think **** that,

Pull into the right hand lane (if I'm not already in it)

Fly down the quiet lane.

Nip into the left lane right at the front.

Then think to myself, thank **** I'm not one of the muppets sitting at the back of the queue saying to themselves "I'm in the right here and I'm going to block anyone thtat tried to merge in front of me"

Some people do change when they get in a car. They would not act the same way as they do if they were not in the safety of their car.

For example. You might be approaching a junction and looking to get out onto the main road. The traffic stops and you're looking for someone to let you out. Most drivers do because they have manners but the same people that jump queues are the ones that will stop right in front of you because they are that obsesssed with getting in front. It is not the way to behave.

Taxi driver called me a nob end out his passenger window as he nearly killed me on the barnton maybury road.

They hate a u turn on a busy road.

Got his number and will receive a xmas card wi poo inside it.

I would just report him to the Police instead. Far more effective as i presume U Turns are still illegal int hat sort of situation. Possibly careless driving charge as well as that piece of road is a busy 40mph stretch of dual carriageway.

Archived