Squad Fitness

Ray Winstone

I hope I am not tempting fate but it struck me recently that the fitness of the squad in general seems to have imrpoved a lot.

Not only do we seem to have more players lasting the course of the match without blowing out their erses but we have not had anyone out with long term or short term injuries in the last couple of months.

The only change in staff has been Tom Ritchie leaving - but I was always told that the players enjoyed working with him.

Could there be any other reasons for the improved fitness?

I'm not one to overly criticise Csaba, but I believe we are now reaping the benefits of Jim Jefferies and Billy Brown et al taking training. Would Csaba have had the squad out running on the beach when Riccarton was snowed in? I doubt it. It's very simply down to JJ pushing the players harder for me.

I'm not one to overly criticise Csaba, but I believe we are now reaping the benefits of Jim Jefferies and Billy Brown et al taking training. Would Csaba have had the squad out running on the beach when Riccarton was snowed in? I doubt it. It's very simply down to JJ pushing the players harder for me.

I don't think pushing players harder has much impact on fitness. Our injury record last season was horrendous. I think the improvement this season has to be put down to the type of training, rather than the amout/intensity.

It was fantastic, even at 4 / 5 nil up at the weekend, how the players never gave an Aberdeen player a second on the ball.

It was fantastic, even at 4 / 5 nil up at the weekend, how the players never gave an Aberdeen player a second on the ball.

It is however much easier to chase the ball when confidence is soaring and you are 5 nil up!

Tom Ritchie leaving and we've all of a sudden become a fitter and less injury ravaged side cannot be a coincidence surely?

I also think the fact we've shifted the wasters on and brought in guys who will highlight when people are hiding has helped greatly. The HMFC holiday camp appears to be over.

:pleasing:

Alot of players forget about niggling injuries when the team is winning...

If the team is losing however they are good excuse to sit-out!

Big_Hearts_Runner

Team spirit also seems to have significantly improved to when JJ & BB took over.

I hope I am not tempting fate but it struck me recently that the fitness of the squad in general seems to have imrpoved a lot.

Not only do we seem to have more players lasting the course of the match without blowing out their erses but we have not had anyone out with long term or short term injuries in the last couple of months.

The only change in staff has been Tom Ritchie leaving - but I was always told that the players enjoyed working with him.

Could there be any other reasons for the improved fitness?

Theres your problem there.

You should HATE your fitness coach - if you enjoy fitness training you're not working hard enough.

i think the whole squad is fitter and team morale has improved largely down the the departure of csaba

we've all read newspapers stating that if you werent one of his favourites he didnt talk to you and wasnt interested. how on earth are you supposed to play for a manager who treats you like the shit on his brown loafers? i wouldnt be busting a baw at training for him thats for sure!

This

Proper pre-season and excellent team morale.

And This

Its always the case that when a team is winning players want to be involved. The little niggles are forgotten as nobody wants to lose their place in the side or for that matter their win bonus so they suddenly find the desire to play through injuries. Its the same throughout dressingrooms around the country. It shows a lack of professionalism really but it definitely goes on.

Archived