Palazuelos and Jonsson

heartsfc_fan

Whilst the majority of the praise has been going to our forward players, I think there should be a thread for our "make shift full backs". :santa4

Both have been exceptional IMO. Getting forward at every opportunity. Defending well. Can't really complain at all with their performances.

Have we finally found our right back in Jonsson? Wallace will no doubt be back in contention when fit to slot back in left back, but we clearly have cover in a very able Ruben Palazuelos.

I think in Eggert's case that wil become his position for Hearts.

Ruben is pitching in while trigger gets himself fit for Frisco.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Ruben done well on Saturday. His run and cross for Elliott's goal was right on the money. Fair play to him for sticking in and helping us to 5 clean sheets in a row.

Eggy still gets skinned far too easily for me. Very flat footed.

Whilst the majority of the praise has been going to our forward players, I think there should be a thread for our "make shift full backs". :santa4

Both have been exceptional IMO. Getting forward at every opportunity. Defending well. Can't really complain at all with their performances.

Have we finally found our right back in Jonsson? Wallace will no doubt be back in contention when fit to slot back in left back, but we clearly have cover in a very able Ruben Palazuelos.

I think their best attributes is doing the opposite and keeping their discipline.

They pushed forward on Saturday once we had realised how hopeless Aberdeen were, but up till then kept their position. When Wallace comes back in he is going to have really think about picking the right opportunities to go forward.

Considering that I don't think we give either Jonsson or Palazuelos a huge amount of protection (Temps and Rudi don't track back and double up) I think both have played as much a part in the clean sheets as Marian, Zal, Ismail and Adrian.

Jonsson won't be the first full back to get skinned (as he did once on Saturday and probably the first time since the Motherwell game - when at left back) or Palazuelos on the wrong side as he did against Hamilton.

Snake Plissken

Both have done pretty well - you can hardly complain about defenders when we've kept seven clean sheets in the last eight games and five in a row. I can't wait for Wallace to come back though, he'd have had a field day against Aberdeen.

I said last season I though Jonsson's best position is right back. He needs to play the majority of a season in one position, regardless of which position, or his development is to be hindered.

Ruben has arguably played more impressively at left back than he ever has in centre mid! I would happily keep him as reserve left back for Wallace but he's rumoured to be on big wages, and won't be first choice anywhere when everyone is fit.

Hopefully we can bring in a promising left back who can be moulded into a similar player to Wallace who I think we'll do well to keep another full season.

But full credit to both Jonsson and Ruben.

Both have done a great job. Neither is a natural full back, if there is such thing, but both play for the jerseys and give their all. I would hope to hold on to both even when Wallace is back. Palazuelos is a decent midfielder and offers cover there as well as full back. His wages might be the stumbling block I realise.

I don't think they have been tested too much, which is a compliment to the way we have been playing.

But if we are ever under the kosh I'd worry about these two, Ruben just doesn't know where to be and Jonsson gets skinned at will by any winger with a bit of pace.

Long term they aren't the answer at full backs but they've been steady enough over recent games so fair play to them.

I don't think they have been tested too much, which is a compliment to the way we have been playing.

But if we are ever under the kosh I'd worry about these two, Ruben just doesn't know where to be and Jonsson gets skinned at will by any winger with a bit of pace.

Long term they aren't the answer at full backs but they've been steady enough over recent games so fair play to them.

Agree with all of that.Both have no pace as well.Both are good pros though who give their best without moaning.

Albert Finney

Given that I have already confessed to knowing nothing on the Mrowiec thread feel free to dismiss this as the ramblings of a know-nothing no-mark. I think that Jonsson has already seen his development hampered by being played out of position for so long and not in any one position for any length of time. I felt sure that he was going to become a truly outstanding midfielder (which seemed to be an opinion shared by more than just me) but his performances in midfield this season were shaky...at best. I'm not convinced that he is a right-back but, of course, he may well prove me wrong (if you are a gambler then you should put money on this!) and go on to become a really good one. I couldn't say with any real clarity what it is I think he lacks for that position but I just don't feel comfortable with him there...that said he has been solid there in recent weeks. Ruben has done well as a stand in for Wallace and, in fact, has been better there than he has been in midfield but again he lacks "something"...I worry about him defensively but as his cross on Saturday showed he does have ability going forward from deep.

In an ideal world we would just go out and buy an experienced right back and left back as cover for Jonsson/Wallace but that's not going to happen so we will have to make do and mend as well as hope that someone, somewhere on the books is going to burst through and make a real stab at the right back slot and put pressure on Wallace/replace him when he leaves. I don't think it will be either Jason or Craig but maybe someone who knows a bit more about what we used to call the reserves could help out by naming possible candidates?

Anyone with pace and a bit skill can go past Eggy.

I like the guy, but still don't know what to do with him.

Don't see him as a RB, but then I dont see him as an outstanding player in other positions either.

A good utility guy, but who wants to be that?

Problem Officer?

Jonsson is looking more and more a solid right back each week.

Wallace will no doubt re-enter the fray once fit, but that will give us some extra cover for centre midfield imo (Ruben).

Ruben's pish.

Not going to complain about the lad when he's been an ever-present in this run of form, though, and he's done well recently. Still can't wait til Wallace gets back.

Sorry.

Jonsson is still not quite there yet - don't know if he's ever going to be the player I thought he would or if he's just plateaued a bit or what. Again, not going to complain when he's doing well in this team the now. He is looking better as the weeks go on, but still easy beat by pace.

Gordon Ramsay

Both have done well recently but Ruben will face a real test in the Motherwell boy Humphrey tomorrow, Rudi will need to tracking back at every opportunity. I expect a difficult game tomorrow for Ruben and also Zal and Bouzid, Blackmans been scoring goals for fun and seems a quality find. If we can keep these players out of the game and continue from where we left off on Saturday, we should be able to grind out a result.

Anyone with pace and a bit skill can go past Eggy.

I like the guy, but still don't know what to do with him.

Don't see him as a RB, but then I dont see him as an outstanding player in other positions either.

A good utility guy, but who wants to be that?

Good post :thumbsup:

Got to agree with the OP.

Not a stunning footballer but digs in and doesn't hide (and christ knows we've had our fair share of those over the last few years)

He is weak at LB but who else would you put in there right now??

Fair play for sticking at it Ruben.

And still stands

Same for Eggy

Head down, mouth shut, gets on with what he's been told to do

Can't ask any more at the mo IMO

Well done both

I think their best attributes is doing the opposite and keeping their discipline.

They pushed forward on Saturday once we had realised how hopeless Aberdeen were, but up till then kept their position. When Wallace comes back in he is going to have really think about picking the right opportunities to go forward.

Considering that I don't think we give either Jonsson or Palazuelos a huge amount of protection (Temps and Rudi don't track back and double up) I think both have played as much a part in the clean sheets as Marian, Zal, Ismail and Adrian.

Jonsson won't be the first full back to get skinned (as he did once on Saturday and probably the first time since the Motherwell game - when at left back) or Palazuelos on the wrong side as he did against Hamilton.

Really? Templeton gets back regularly even into our box. Skacel isn't playing as a winger, that's Elliott, who is now working up and down the line and got booked on Saturday because he did track back after his own mispass. That said I do agree that our curent full backs are looking better each game.

Archived